1. The poll for our 11th Music Contest is up! Help us choose the most awesome cinematic tracks by casting a vote!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll is up! Vote for the best 4v4 melee maps!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Gamer Computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Tech' started by Goron2222, Apr 5, 2011.

1. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why yes, they do, but if it was to buy a 4870 vs 5450, I would buy the 5450. Thats because the 4870 replacement is the 5770, which I would gladly buy over the 4870.

2. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    http://www.ibuypower.com/ - customize and have fun.

Or you could just buy the parts and build it yourself like someone said, save some $.

3. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    They make their computers out of pony tears and puppies, neither of which are good at computing.

4. thelifelessone

thelifelessone

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Hardware Revolution

That is all.

Edit: About the computer you linked to.
    Four cores at that speed are practically useless with the amount of RAM you have. I would get at least 8GB, or even 12GB+ if you can afford it, with the best possible specs on it. The harddrive is also kinda overkill, as you'll likely not fill it for a long, long time (and at that point, it's easier to get an external, so it's less hassle to transfer it around). Better to use an SSD for the system, and a 160GB+ for everything else.

Overall, if you didn't build the computer yourself with parts you yourself picked out, you'll likely to be overpaying for something that could be a hell of a lot better.

(also, it should go without saying that the keyboard and mouse suck, badly. If you want good gaming equipment, go Razer.)

5. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Clearly it is not.

You don't need anything more then 6 unless you are doing intensive graphical, modeling, or serving work. And 2.93ghz for 4 cores is pretty damn good, especially given the overclocking headroom on those buggers.

Razer just makes flashy crap then slaps "Gamer" on it. Logitech makes the best mice I have seen. And don't even bring up Cyborg.

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Memory is only useful up to like 6 GB currently as most applications are still 32 bit.

That would be 3 * 2 GB for an I7 working in tri channel mode (maximum efficiency).

Yes more memory helps cache more data for games (the data files get cached into memory after loaded once). But you still have 3 GB for that and most games will struggle to load that much data repetitivly.

7. thelifelessone

thelifelessone

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Nou.
    With the amount of RAM that computer has, the CPU is just a waste. Better to have 2 cores and a lot of RAM, than 4 core and practically no RAM (4GB isn't a lot for a gaming computer running W7).

I'm quite happy with my Nostromo. It's served me quite well in World of Warcraft.

8. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    RAM is just storage, faster RAM is always nice, but once you get past a certain point, the CPU is the bottleneck. On that build the GPU was the bottleneck. Past that it would be the storage. Then the RAM, and even then it wouldn't be size, but speed.

I am quite happy with my Phenom 2 X3 720 BE@3.3ghz, 4gb DDR2 1066 4-4-4-12, and HD4870 1gb