• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Global warming? Bah thats just silly!
Whats that you say? Venus is proof of this concept? Nonsense! Mere dots in the sky!
The Earth is actually spherical in shape? Blasphemy!

Level 14
omg why would ne1 resurrect this topic..... Global Warming is complete nonsense... IMO at least it is

If you're really, really lucky you won't live long enough to see the world prove you wrong. I don't mean with words but rather with starvation and extreme dehydration. Global warming is occuring. It's not a matter of if, but when you'll notice it.

A change in either direction is bad, be it warm or cold, and the end results will be the same. Keep in mind the temperature affects the weather. Now look up what the major crops require to survive. (Water, ideal temperature range, and time [growing season]) If any of the required factors exceed the tolerance of the crops faster then they can adapt, they die. Too much and too little of any requirement will yield the same effect: death.

The offtopic "shitstorm" comments only encourage such posts.

//\\==//\\

Level 5
It would be better to prepare for the worst than to do nothing at all.

That's probably the only thing I'm going to say.

Level 12
I'm just gonna jump in an say two things, since this thread is still open:
The average temperature went up the same amount from 1800 to 1900 as it did in 1900 to 2000, even though pollution doubled, tripled and tenfolded.
Also the trend for the past 2000 years has been estimated to be a sine curve.

One thing I am however for is going green. I enjoy cleaner air, and being more energy efficient makes life simpler.

Level 13
The average temperature went up the same amount from 1800 to 1900 as it did in 1900 to 2000, even though pollution doubled, tripled and tenfolded.

Source?

Level 14

One thing I am however for is going green. I enjoy cleaner air, and being more energy efficient makes life simpler.

The trend of the planet's history has been a sine curve. Hot-Cold-Hot-Cold... except the hot's don't get as hot and the colds will get colder. The reason the warming hasn't really been noticed yet is people have a ridiculous time scale when thinking in terms of the planet. They think global warming means Earth will suddenly become like Dune over a year or two.

While your 100-year cycles are more accurate than the typicall 10-year cycles, 100 years is a very short time geographically speaking.

Also, Newton's laws aren't instantaneous cause and effect. The fastest effects to be noticed travel at the speed of light. For example, if the sun were to suddenly explode, it would be about 8 min (time it takes for light from sun to reach earth) for us to notice anything has occured at all. So something as gradual as an exponential increase in the amount of pollutants/greenhouse gasses/w/e will not yield an instantly observable effect on something the size of the Earth.

Also, if your going to quote statistics that specific, please put a link to your source. If you're wondering where the 8 min came from, check this out.

//\\oo//\\

Last edited:
Level 14
Really whether you believe in global warming or not (kinda dumb using the term believe though, I mean that's like talking about it like it's a religion) it's not like you can just ignore pollutants anyways because of the other, easily observed, side affects which are dangerous to life.

Off Topic: Hey now, don't use the "R" word... Shame On You! You know better than to draw preachers in here...

The effects are easily observed. There's just no instant observation (or illusion thereof) of them.

//\\oo//\\

Level 12

Your mother.

Naw, just kidding. In some science magazine that our teacher gave us. I didn't have that article itself, but I heard that group's presentation and saw their giant graph. It was a giant sine curve.
On the fact that it went up contsantly over the past 200 years, read "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity" By John Stossel. Great book about how humans respond to myths and incentives.

Level 2
Off Topic: Hey now, don't use the "R" word... Shame On You! You know better than to draw preachers in here...

The problem (one anyway) is that it is being treated like a religion, anyone who dares to speak out against it is immediately attacked and discredited. That's hardly a very scientific way of doing anything, especially something that so many politicians are using to increase taxes and push their agendas.

Level 14
The problem (one anyway) is that it is being treated like a religion, anyone who dares to speak out against it is immediately attacked and discredited. That's hardly a very scientific way of doing anything, especially something that so many politicians are using to increase taxes and push their agendas.

Well that's sort of how it's become really - both sides of the debate are guilty of essentially treating it like it is a religion

You're both correct. Unfortunately religion gets involved in everything. I fail to see how any of the gods would bother screwing with Earth's climate just to punish/reward us. The problem is how uneducated people are in regards to the matter. The religous arguements are simply being used to quickly distract the symbol minded from the increasingly blatant facts.

The reason behind both sides treating it like it's a religion, is that's the only way to engage those perspectives.

As far as 'sitting back and chilling' goes, that's not going to do anything useful. It's not possible to stop/slow/reverse the affects, but it is possible to prepare for them. The arguements against global warming serve to portray it as something that's not occuring or something that is in the hands of 'higher powers' - an excellent way to disband most people. Vested interests who would be adversely affected by any preparations/conversions for this don't want solutions to be presented. They're too busy milking everything in the present, probably because they don't understand that 'profits' are cute topics which at best exist in the present. The amount of currency is finite, therefore all economies are closed systems be they local or global.

//\\oo//\\

You're both correct. Unfortunately religion gets involved in everything. I fail to see how any of the gods would bother screwing with Earth's climate just to punish/reward us. The problem is how uneducated people are in regards to the matter. The religous arguements are simply being used to quickly distract the symbol minded from the increasingly blatant facts.

Well it's not saying that it's BECUASE of religion, it's saying it's being treated like it WAS a religion. People are simply able to say "oh I don't believe in that" and just blow it off. It's this sort of thing which lets people ignore the many other easily demonstrated effects of pollution because one specific issue that's the media's focused it's attention on is being treated as a "I believe/don't believe" sort of thing.

Sort of like saying I don't believe in a higher cause thus I'm free to spit on babies/the higher cause I believe in justifies my spitting on babies. Regardless of what you think, you shouldn't spit on babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.