1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Getting tired of this.

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Vexorian, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If its alright with Oz or VG I'd like to be a moderator, I mean hell I think I read every new post that shows up on the site, I come here at least 20 times a day (if not more) I've waited to be one for awhile. I don't wanna beg, just wondering, if you guys need anymore help I'd be happy to assist the site.

DB

2. Xan_Kreigor99

Xan_Kreigor99

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It seems the problem lies in the floods of noobs who ignore all the rules, and come to flame people and downrate things. There are alot of people in this crowd that just cannot be pleased, and they rate something very low and flame just because it wasn't the greatest thing in the world. Things like Cookie's Hero Enforcer model was flamed by one or two people, and I don't see HOW anyone could say that was crap. Rating shouldn't be just about how much you like it or if you can use it, but if it looks good.

To me, it seems the problem lies not within rating, but the flaming that goes along with it. The other really bad thing is all the crappy recolors, CnPs, and other 1 minute made models this site gets. I mean, my god, it's gotten impossible to just browse through the sections looking for something decent when someone has submitted over 20 resources that are the exact same thing but just with minor tweaks.

I don't think we'll be able to change the flood of noobs, but we need to buckle down and help the moderators by reporting flaming, crappy 1 minute made resources, and trolling.

TO the moderators, ya'll have done a great job keeping this place as cleana s you can, and yes it has taken a beating since Darky's absence, but what you need to do is get together one day, and go through the resources and delete all the crap resources. And if someone PMs you flaming that you shouldn't have deleted it, you should warn or ban them instead of ignoring it.

3. mr_coolies

mr_coolies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Damn, I was planning to rant on about this eventually but you got to it first! Grrrrr :p. Meh, i'd have only written half that anyway.

I totally agree, the site should have a voting system where placing your vote on a submission also requires a text input in which you can put reasons. If they are unreasonable, moderators should be able to render the vote negligible.

Also, I have noticed that on some maps people have complained about glitches in the map or unbalanced gameplay that are CLEARLY due to using a different patch. A solution to this for authors who wish to avoid such an unfortunate situation is simply posting the patch used to make and test the map by the author, and that players who do are not using that patch should not necessarily expect it to work as the author made it. If nOObs still flame it for such reasons, they can point out clearly that they are using a different patch.

There's more, but it's all stuff that's probably been said before (which is something that gets very annoying in the forums, mind you).

4. harper

harper

Resources:
    Resources:
    For the record, I am w/ Daelin. I like to help in the map & spell forums.

Even myself I am tempted to ask VG and Oz the way they logged in this site if they have access in the "go to the administration panel" at the very bottom of the forum index because there you will have access to the ADMINISTRATION, FORUM ADMIN, GENERAL ADMIN, GROUP ADMIN, STYLES ADMIN, & of course the exciting/interesting one USER ADMIN where you can ban/disallow & level up a member into a moderator or even change the user level into an admin. What you will do is just to look up for the user & tweak him. See I made my own poor site for free & become my own Administrator... :D

5. Elf  Warden

Elf Warden

Resources:
    Resources:
    ---IMPORTANT--- Getting tired of this!

To tell you the truth, i am getting quite tired of this topic.

i have read every single one of the post replys of all the 6 pages and i dont like this at all.

Alot of members are posting alot of the same stuff others are posting(solutions,complains etc)

-----------------------------------
    Vexorian made this topic because he mostly got tired of the spells sections situation (if understood correctly)

I mysels aint interested about the spells section and am not aware of the sections situation.

---IMPORTANT---IMPORTANT---IMPORTANT---
    I have not seen anything that supports most of the complaings the members have claimed to be exicsting!

People have been talking alot about about WormSkull's flaming, Even when he has beem banned long ago!

***** Please, Show some proof for your claiments *****

~Elf Warden

6. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The idea of being moderator does not require only only time and reading everything. You must know what to do in situations, know who deserves a warn, who deserves a ban for something, who deserves only a warning and if the situation is even to be considered. And moreover, you MUST KNOW how to help in a lot of situations. For example I am very good in spell making and that is why I am not giving advices in other things like Skins and Modelling. I can't model and in skinning I suck. And giving advices to people if you are not sure about them is not a good thing.

To be a moderator I find necessary to have time, patience, read everything into your section, know how to act in different situations and mostly important be able to help people and give answers to all the questions, or atleast many of them. And obviously, to be active because if you are not active, there is no point in being a moderator.

If you don't have these capabilities, I don't think you have big chances to become a mod. But let's leave these little details to Darky, shall we? Though I am wondering where he is (geesh... This question has been put a lot of times by now).

And voting should be our last problem. Indeed, voting is an annoying part but most of bad raters flame as well. Flamers and chaos making members are the first ones to be taken care of. And of course, clearing people who post junks regularily even though they have been warned. Btw, isn't there a way to disallow someone to add any resources?

~Daelin

7. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @harper: Yes, we are able to access the admin board, however section mods are not set through the admin board, Darky has a seperate way to add them.

8. SUPA_BUU

SUPA_BUU

Resources:
    Resources:
    I will confess i did rate things a 1/5 to make it a 3 for like a day or two but then i remembered... Lots of ppl who rate badly cant even make mods, so to you noobs out there before you rate ask yourself this...

Could you have made a better model, skin, or map?

Now to find out how ppl really think about what you post ppl should give reasons and post what they think.

Now next time you see a ok its fine map and its rated 5/5 rate it what u think 3/5 then when the creator comes and sees his creation he can see his nice 4 and be happy not a million and one ppl voting one just because the dont like that type rpg,loap, orc,elf

Remember what comes around, goes around

9. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Consider another thing. If someone says about a resource that it is a BETA version, and metions it either as: "This is just a beta version" or "This is just a first version" or something similar, then don't hurry to rate. Let him finish his resource and THEN vote. If he never updates it, wait atleast a month before rating it (if he mentions it as BETA). That's atleast how I do.

~Daelin

10. Cookie

Cookie

Resources:
    Resources:
    censoring the rating or just remove the rating system solves alot....

11. VGsatomi

VGsatomi

Webmaster's Council

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Super Buu...glad you stopped, because thats not how you rate. You do not rate to effect the overall score. If you think the recourse deserves a 3, rate it a 3, even if it has a 5 and rating it a 3 wont be enouph to bring it down to a 3...

Daelin...about 80% of the maps on this site are beta...some have been beta since this site began. Any posted map is free game for citiques. If mappers dont want their map rated while its only in beta, then they should wait till its gold before submitting it.
    -VGsatomi

12. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well VSGatomi, I was kinda referring to Spells but it seems that I forgot to post that. Spells are posted when done, atleast most of them. So if someone says that a spell is not yet finished, I wait until it finishes it. :D

~Dalein

13. orcfan32

orcfan32

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I knew it. The site is slowly dying. I left Warcraft III for about a year or so and came back and enjoying it! But if darky leaves this site un-attended, then..he will eventually stop paying for it...then it collapses, the greatest Warcraft III resource site ever. Vexorian, I agree with you. If you decide to leave this War3 site, then please...PM me where you are going next...I love your spells, and I download them whenever I can. They are TOP-QUALITY!

This is sad..... :( ........ :cry:

14. Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Actually I agree with Cookie. I think the rating system serves no purpose, I've had mods delete some of my old skins for low ratings, when their dl count was over 100. Personally I think we should go by that number instead of how many "Pretty Little Golden Stars" some newbie gave your project.

15. SeaGull1723

SeaGull1723

Resources:
    Resources:
    You've got point. The rating system doesn't seem to be fair. I wouldn't mind not having a rating system. And it probably be for the best since so many people abuse both ratings/comments.

16. -Link-

-Link-

Resources:
    Resources:
    :shock: This is bad... but why doesent sum1 just email Darky to see where he is...?

About the spells and stuff... I agree Vextorian...
    (I dont know if i spelled your name correct)

I think sum1 should just email Darky and ask about where he is unless he hasnt been in his email either...

if this site goes down how will i get the skins and models i use for maps? :cry:

17. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The site isn't going down, the problem is with the comments/ratings. I can't understand why everyone is so negative suddenly, making it sound like everything is going wrong. The site still functions properly, resouces can be submitted etc. The main problem is with the users, not the site, which is not much of a problem on its own. What must be done now is get this message across to all users on the site.

Oh, and we know where Darky is, he's on WoW. Eventually he will tire of it and come back here. It's just a matter of time.

18. SeaGull1723

SeaGull1723

Resources:
    Resources:
    *Begins plotting evil scheme*

Let there be high level suicidal gulls. And you'll never get past them. :roll:

19. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Resources:
    Resources:
    "conviction-system
    - every user gets a conviction
    - whenever a user posts a comment or a ranking it will be abel FOR ALL USERS READING IT to rate THAT COMMENT. e.g a flamer might be voted as (sry)"dumbass" while a supreme well done, several thousand lines long commend will be rated as "genious".
    - while seeing through the convinctions/ratings a user has it will be much easier for mods/smods/admins to detect the flamers/spammers and anyone close to them. It might even be possible to modify a ranking done by a user depending on his personal rating ( therefor a spammer will nearly or even fully ignored, while the ranking a super-user does is worth a thousand of "normal" rankings )"
    -Good idea in theory, but in practice there might be problems. This suggestion seems similar to the Wc3c reputation system which is also good in theory but bad in practice. The reason for this is that this suggestion (like the rep system) has the potential to be abused by the very people the system is trying to defeat. The flamers will just "negative rep spam" people for petty reasons or no reason in order to weaken their power to give conviction points/affect comment weight.

20. harper

harper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry Mr. Clean it is not possible w/ this board.

OMG :shock: have you not seen that PAYPAL DONATE over there. Besides someone else is supporting this site besides darky.

My friend the only thing I can give you advice is that to dl everything here & sign up at RIPAWAY. You can rent a 30mb web space for free. For the record, I am not advertising neither it is my intention so please dont get me wrong.