1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Getting tired of this.

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Vexorian, Feb 10, 2005.

1. HKlown

HKlown

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, this is just a minor idea, and I realize that without Darky, it's about as good as an amish computer, but here it is anyway:

Why not force users to give a reason for their rating? I don't mean you add your reason in your comment, I mean that there would be a text field near the rating choices, and your rating will not be accecpted without a reason. Then, if someone puts a 1 with a reason of "SUXORZ" or a 5 with a rating of "AWESOME!!1", the ratings can be reported to mods for deletion. Like it was said in the original post, someone gave a rating of 1 with no reason. And the way I see that is that it's great that you don't like a certian resource, but you aren't helping anyone get anywhere. It may be eaiser to just rate 1/5 without putting a reason, but the author can't make it better without knowing why you rated it like you did.

2. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    well said Elf warden, i think i was trying to say that but you put it forward more cohesively

and well said olofmoleman. i joined up a few months ago too to submit my model. but then i went on holidays and havnt been working on new ones in the mean time

of all the comments posted on my model i like armels, elf wardens and lor finarfins the best. they commeted fairly and justified their criticisms which led to me reworking the model for the better. unfortunately when i resubmitted the model the link broke and i was forced to delete and re-send it, thus losing my best comments. i also get the impression that it was rated fairly. over all i'm happy with my models successes. she even made the top 7 at one point

maybe the problems lie in too high of an expectation in what is produced here, that its all gonna be solid gold 100% of the time and that the model/skin/map was made soley for their enjoyal, the creators enjoyment playing no role in it whatsoever

bah...

as elf warden said the problem makers will either grow up and participate or move along. it'll be up to elder members to set a good example and show erroneous behavior to be wrong. problem makers will make themselves stand out far more and leave themselves vulnerable to banning

-I'm going to the special Hell-

3. Undifty

Undifty

Resources:
    Resources:
    I fully agree!

The site is just getting worse!
    And as you said there is no sign of Darky, not even on MSNM.. ..He maybe doesn't have time becouse he is playing WoW so much.. ..But he could at least spend some hour(s) a week on fixxing the sites!

4. Juice_F

Juice_F

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It's impossible to contact Darky, he was logged on to MSN yesterday but he ignored me.

5. Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    He finally logged on AIM a few days ago, but he too ignored me, and all I wanted was to chat with him like I always do, mostly about non-wc3 stuff.

Me thinks hes having personal problems but eh, im not sure, just a guess. He'll come back to us eventually.

And Is it just me or are any of you realizing...

Darky isn't here, which means NO implication of new systems! We have to wait it out, and work together! I swear there are like 30 ideas for systems posted here...

6. Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Oh yes...

<DB Laughs Maniacally>

There happy now?

7. HardGamerDz

HardGamerDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is not just a site for Warcraft III, it is a site of a community! A site where we talk and help each other! Damm I love this site but it is going DOWNHIIIIIIIIILLL...............

8. ElfWarfare

ElfWarfare

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thats why there are good members, to help us, if you see that a moderator missed something or you think he can do something, just PM him, do not be afraid to report. You can only help us by reporting :wink:

9. Vexorian

Vexorian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is the first time I completelly read this thread after the day I made it.

Just some stuff:

- Vexorian being super moderator/admin == no!

Mostly because that stuff needs time, time that I don't have, and I don't really have any interest of having power, really, Moderating wc3c and wc3s's spell section is enough for my head that is going to explode soon.

- Vexorian remaking the rules: Why? the rules are already there, Opining in a negative way about a resource doesn't really go against the rules, and it shouldn't. It just harms the site and my patience, but there is nothing that can be done about that unless the comments are spam, in that case they break the rules.

---
    I wasn't speaking about my resources besides the downrate, I am talking about stuff I've seen in the models and skins sections.
    ---

The problem is not that my resource got a 1, it is mostly that the whole Rating System is broken and it harms the site, There is no sense on having so much resources with 5/5 , and some other with 2 where they shouldn't have a low value.

My recomendation about the rating resource is to kill it and replace it with a 'Request adition to Director's choice' option or Having a People's choice system besides of the director's choice.

Or at least increasing the rating range to 100 instead of 5, or disallow the voting of certain people (you need at least 20 resources to vote, for example)

I'd preffer the people's choice award thing though.

The problem about Darky's dissappearance is that I have not seen any signs of him last 3 weeks, not in irc, not in posts, It is weird since he mantains the site, and even if he was on vacations he would have done some appearance at least.

10. sereis4000

sereis4000

Resources:
    Resources:
    Apology & Feedback

I must admit I am guilty of spamming I apologise to all those ppl who wasted their time reading my post.

I've been reading this thread and I agree wholeheartedly. Without some sort of system to encourage feedback instead of 1s and 5s reviews of skins, maps, icons ect are going to have to abolished entirely.

11. Horn

Horn

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah join the hubb if you have hit puberty.

12. VGsatomi

VGsatomi

Webmaster's Council

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ummm....no.

13. harper

harper

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have added darky's messenger to my contact 2 days ago & I just wish I could sign in to MSN w/ this unupgraded MSN messenger. I would love to chat w/ him w/ lots of off topics & things that concern this site.

Yes I agree that Vexorian had been doing his jobs well as a MOD these past days as far as I can remember since the 13th of last month. Also harper = off topic MOD, why not & I have a lot of free time & I would surely love it. I will dig deeper into the ancient archives of off topics to seal the undeads. And I think I will be active atleast for the next 25 days or forever.

14. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We don't need a new off-topic mod, we just need more comment mods.[/quote]

15. HardGamerDz

HardGamerDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    best site ever: http://www.wc3sear.ch/rotd/

Just look at the News...

I checked that site every day actually... :)

but now it is dead... :? :| :( ...... :cry: ..... :eek: ....... :x .... :evil:

16. R.I.P-Beast

R.I.P-Beast

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry..

Forst of all i wont too apologize.. Cuz i have made many of those GREAT! comments, but after i've red this i will truly stop those awful things and think before i comment.. :oops:

I apologize too everyone and everybody, i have learned something from this topic..

17. Lord Raszul

Lord Raszul

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I now have read the first 2 and the last 2 pages of this Topic and have registered just for answering here. ( ok, i do also want to upload a map of mine, but this topic is the reason i did it. Therefore this is my FIRST posting within this while site. )
    My general imprssion is the following one:
    - nearly only those who DO NOT flame have posted anything ( I haven't overseen those few who apologize and i congratualte those few for thei are very brave to do so. I think i would not have been brave enough to accept meself as that guilty, espazily not if all "the high ones" are against me doings! )

- many who have posted have done it the way "flamed" by this topic. ( I mean those "I totaly agree"-postings, sry if i am wrong, but i think you could have taken a bit more time for a theme as important as this one and written a few more words or even added some good ideas for preventing or stopping this evolution. )

- Next thing i mentioned is, that many have only read the first and maybe the last one ( 1 ) page of this topic and then acted as thought they do totaly know what's going on within here. ( it may be that i am one of those, but at 6 pages i do not have the time to read them all, espacialy because i have to work early tomorrow, sry if that is the case ). I would like if you ( i mean those reading only the very first and very last bit, ignoring the important parts ) start reading a bit more within a topic, before replying to it. I have truly wanted to click on the "reply"-Button as soon as i have finished reading the very first posting. BUT i have waited paitionaly until i have known most or at least many of the things discussed within the topic and then hit the button -> you are reading the result right now.

- Now i want to do, what i have been asked not to do: I will add me own way of solving the spam-problem.
    I know ( i truly do ) that this may be anoying to read, but i hope that i got the best things from previous ideas and am now giving the idea for the final solution.
    a) controling the amount of comments per user per time
    i do not think this is usefull. e.g. if a very good comment writer is going through the archive and writing one comment after another he will get punished as well as all the spamers
    b) getting some kind of notify or comment to a vote
    in my opinion this isn't the best solution as well, maybe it's a part of the whole but it's not at all the final solution.
    c) Conviction of commenters and/or voters
    As i have thought about it i think this may be the key to the final solution:
    a System within somehow the users get a conviction depending on how well they comment.
    ---
    My Idea:
    first i hope i haven't bored you whith the little Summary above, i am now going staight onto the original topic and am writing down me own idea ( @staff plz don't take this offensive in any way. I'm just hoping that one day it will be possible to add any way of solution-system to this page to make it MUCH harder for flamers to do their "job" )
    conviction-system
    - every user gets a conviction
    - whenever a user posts a comment or a ranking it will be abel FOR ALL USERS READING IT to rate THAT COMMENT. e.g a flamer might be voted as (sry)"dumbass" while a supreme well done, several thousand lines long commend will be rated as "genious".
    - while seeing through the convinctions/ratings a user has it will be much easier for mods/smods/admins to detect the flamers/spammers and anyone close to them. It might even be possible to modify a ranking done by a user depending on his personal rating ( therefor a spammer will nearly or even fully ignored, while the ranking a super-user does is worth a thousand of "normal" rankings )

---

Overall:
    I hope you have read till here and have thought about it. If you haven't please scoll to the start again and at least read the capital words and the sentences around them to get a general image of what i have written here.

thx to all who had the patience to read this![/list]

18. player_72985

player_72985

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is the best thing I have seen a long time and I know exactly how you feel Vex, over at another site where I posted a map, the map (from comments from people and such) is at least a 4.98 rating, but some lame-ass idiotic noobs rated it "1" or "Horrible" leaving NO comments of why they rated it. I am getting pretty pissed myself with these noobs who think they can just downrate something and get away with it easily and never be caught! I could go on and on about those people AND the moderators who do nothing about this kind of problem, but that would be too long of a post.... Peace† (except to people that Vexorian and I are talking about)

19. Flem_1o0

Flem_1o0

Resources:
    Resources:
    Understood!!

Hi I am new in here, I just have to say, that appart from some of the comments, this site it SO great. Everything I touch, works excellent. You got LOTS of stuff.
    95% of it is very good quality. I have just started on a map and everytime I need anything, I just look for it in here and finds it within 2 seconds. It´s amazing that someone made something like this, free. I actually say, that you shouldn´t do all this work, without some payment. Anyway, there´s a problem and I shall write MORE than 5 words, everytime I download something and tell you my opinion. DON`T close the site, if you need help, then write me and I shall see what I can do!!

20. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok... just because Darky is no longer very often online (I wonder why) doesn't mean that we can't do anything.

A site is not only made from its moderators but from its memebers as well. Still, more moderators ARE needed in my opinion. The spells section is already getting on my nerves. I've seen quite many double if not triple threads started and nobody has deleted them. Vexorian is doing his best (so I'm not blaming you) and I believe that he split his job with The_Raven or something BUT, the spells section is in sometimes in a critical situation. No offense but I've been offline for five days and when I came back many threads were left without response. Like... 15 or even more? And I'm saying it again, I'm not blaiming you Vex. I know you are moderator on wc3campaigns.net and you have a life as well and you do a great job with the spells submitted so taking care of the section would indeed be FAR too much.

Moderators are here to help, and not only to ban and warn. Mostly I've seen moderators warning newbie just because they posted into the wrong place but it was their first or perhaps second post. Shouldn't they be guided in a nice way so that theyy feel good and secure and not just afraid to post because they might break some rules. As I posted into another thread, posts with FLAMING and HARD SWEARING are not inacceptable but posting into the wrong place (newbies atleast)...

I will continue to watch upon whatever I can but I suck completely at modelling, terraining and skinning so I only remain into the spells section (which to be honest is always fun for me...I really like to see inventive spells and try to help people make them. You can always learn new things as well through helping). But I'm asking EVERYONE on this site if he sees someone that asks for help and you feel like you have time to help him! It is very important to remain a close to each other. The first step into abyss is not caring about the others (I know it sounds pathetic but that's how things go). Remember that this site is made from its members!

I'd like to hear your opinions about my post if you feel that you have any.

~Daelin