• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GEAR (Ghost Encounter Assault Recon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Warcraft III map project hosted November 5th 2006

"This thread is not moved from wc3sear.ch so I remade it again"

Cover Story:

GEAR_by_DoOs_101.jpg

This map will be a competition. We are aiming to get Blizzard's attention on this one, and ofcourse, the dream of defeating DotA. We have already, a company that will fund this project for webhosting and advertising, all we need is time.

Story:

The map has a story actually, although during the gameplay it will not have any relation. The story is about the aftermath of the Scourging legion. The undead had left a village, plagued, infested, and maliced by the darkest evil. Lordaeron Kingdom had their interest in this village, they want, Julia. Julia is the most beautiful lady of all Lordaeron kingdom, she was once a student of Noltrom Windhu's teachings, called the Dawn in Skies. She knows everythin of it. A covenant group in the Lordaeron hierachy ordered a group of Dwarven Hunters to rescue Julia, they are named after GEAR. These Dwarves are the best, undead "ghost" hunters in the world, they are advanced in technology and magic at the same time. The covenant group orders the team to rescue this women in order to keep the knowledge of Dawn in Skies alive, but in secret they are up to something else. The knowledge of Dawn in Skies teaches magic beyond everyone's call. No one knows this magic, it is worth knowing and keeping it. For sure the covenant group is planning to overthrow the kingdom with this magic, the leader, Daedrus Martin knows this magic but he kept it secret. The King thinks this magic is worth helping the poor farmers whom had lost their farms, but Daedrus Martin knows the King is weak, and his moment of having to know the Dawn of Skies will keep the Kingdom shut for the true coming of evil.

Gameplay:
"Other" type, combination of AoS, Hero Arena, CTF, and Defense.

Screenshot_by_DoOs_101.jpg

The map is playable for 6-10 players, 3v3, 4v4, and 5v5
Each player in the begining will get to choose a Hero, we will not make many heroes but each will have different functionality in the whole team play. The heroes serves like warrior classes, just like in battlefield where there is Recon, Sniper, Medic, and others. Each class gets to craft their own spells but these spells will contribute to the functionality of the class. We are aiming to have 1 class being able to make 30 different custom spells. This means we have to make more than 200 spells... God knows what will happen, for sure there will be repetition in the combination so don't worry, it won't be more than 80 spells.

The first team will be GEAR, and the second we are not sure yet, we are planning to have GHOST, or the Covenant. Whichever the consumer thinks best, we will do it for them. Items will contribute to some making of spells, like for example the weapon enhancement. Other items will not cause any stats to increase that HIGH, so that this game requires more teamwork strategy and planning in the begining, the spell crafting already partially contribute to this.

During the gameplay both team will receive a quest. For example, GEAR team must defend a location and extract the villagers. The GHOST team for this quest must stop the extraction, and kill the villagers. Whom ever succed their quest gets the score. There will be many quests like infiltration, Capture something, defend a convoy, and others we will come up with. The game will end with the team that reaches that score limit. Then players can save their score which is their kill count added by 15% of the team's score in the end. This will contribute to the making of GEAR ranking system.

Mini-custom features:

Screenshot_2_by_DoOs_101.jpg

We are collecting a bunch of sounds from Flashpoint operation, Battlefield 2, and other FPS games. Well lets just imagine that in the beginning of the game, you are in the midst of a Haunted village at the same time being in a battlefield. You're commander orders you to move, he says "Move out!"... "GoGo2", "Fall back!", "Units take cover!". Heh you know those stuff. The sounds will work this thing out...

Production:
Our team consists of 4 people officially, there are other people who wanted to contribute but does not play a major role.

Project coordinator - DoOs_101
JASS editor - Rizzuh
Features Editor - Matarael & Necross_17
Features Editor for Spell Making - DJtuing
-------------------------------------------------------
Creative director - kingb00ker

Hosted project by Indogamers

We now like to hear your comments and suggestion.

Last edited:
Level 12
Well my bad I couldn't find it... but anyways that information is not correct anymore and we just updated new stuff, so might as well create a new thread or maybe can the mod merge the two threads together? So that i don't double thread :D. Sorry for my mistake, I couldn't find it... >.< bad at remembering titles.

Btw I just realize! thx for the rep tauren! i will Moo Moo yu every time we meet! MOO MOO!

Last edited:
Level 1
Peerfecto!

Im proud of being yur friend DoOs!
Btw what is the medal rewards?

And yeah, if you need any beta testing, I will be there for you just like in Eternity Calls :grin:

Level 45
i agree with a dota part.. you will NOT defeat dota.

Not unless those Chinese dudes actually finish the dota standalone game then the dota users will creep off bnet, but dude, EVERY map makers dreams is to pretty much fame over dota.. which is childish....since dota actually has thousands of dollars involved in it due to the tournaments held and such.

All you can do if hope people will enjoy your map and have a good time, not to be famous or for your map to be the most well known map on bnet.

and this is my opinion, so dont get offended. I dont have much to reply on your project/map but you are free to choose your name and what you want to include in your map, just dont be a terranup16 and claim all the ideas are yours if you steal them.

Or be some Final fantasy nerd and try to copy everything down to the bone

good luck with your map, thats what i wish though....

Level 12
hey this map sounds great, so when and where can we inpaciant warcraft geeks start downloading this map?????

We are aiming to have it done by June.
Well I will revise the words from now on, we will not be able to defeat dota, but we will make this map stand taller as best as we can.

And already we are creating a new fantasy here where technology and magic is combined. We are trying to make that feel in the map and all this idea comes from my head originally :grin: and btw that story is actually just last minute illustration I made while typing, lol

We need your help now though, we do not know whether to go with many heroes in one map or only few special heroes that have different functionality, for instance Healer, Recon, Assault, Engineer, and so on. The reason why we are not sure of this is because, "psychologically" gamers love warcraft III because of the heroes, that is how DotA used that advantage by making the "Allstars".

Level 12
What is wrong with that guy? I think he is genious. Or are you talking about someone else.

Anyways the reason why we don't want many heroes is because first of all, we don't want ppl thinking this is a DotA rippoff while it has a totally different gameplay. And secondly, having too many heroes does not mix well with our spell crafting system.

Level 45
AOTZ is another AOS that has alot of heroes i think... i havnt played it.. i heard its a very good AOS though. RDZarena has limited heroes(6-8) but they have all the same abilities ( i think..) they just all look diff, but people still enjoy it and think its a great map.

and that guy that made that payment thing.. i know..its fucking smart as hell..but from what i heard he gets the money, but doesnt do what the people paid him for and they cant do anything about it cause they are stupid for doing it in the first place.

Last edited:
Level 12
Lol anyways, for RDZarena it is fun but gets boring over time. With AoS it suspends more because people like the idea of having many heroes with different Cool Spells.

So we what have decided is to implement a 6-8 hero with different attributes and each of these heroes can craft 20-30 spells which are available only for that type of hero. And the idea is to have 4 combo which is, dmg spell, aura, support, ulti... l can't remember the other three I have to reconfirm that.

So far we are making 80 spells, some of which might already exist as a resource, if so then we will post the list of spell names and credit hiveworkshop.com for the spells. Normally before this wc3sear.ch is closed we credit wc3sear.ch for the spells.

Last edited:
Level 1
hello all >.< nice to meet u.. well like doos said... i'm a.... what the?.... Creative director???

--" u said i'll bcm a Features Editor? o_O

Level 12
Terrain

Terrain updated Screenshots:

lala17of.jpg

lala22yc.jpg

Map Preview:

Ok this is probably the ugliest art you've ever seen but the whole idea is just to give the location names.

gearmappreview0up.jpg

1. River Dwell - A small village untouch by the undead
2. south center - A center which leads to three paths
3. Falktharn - An abandoned village
4. Osgirith City West - The City of Osgirith realm, undersiege by GHOST
5. Osgirith City East - The City of Osgirith realm, undersiege by GHOST
7. Minas Morgul - A village corrupted by GHOST
8. north center - A center which leads to three paths
9. Minas Golbok - A place corrupted by GHOST

RED = GEAR base
BLUE = GHOST/Covenant base

Note: If you can't see the picture then tell me and I will upload it to a different imagehost.

Last edited:
Level 3
lol, why the hell do you use lord of the rings names for your map, which is in the warcraft universe????? i mean, aren't u creative enough to think of some original names :eekani:

minas morgul omg

Level 36
I agree with the whole overused name thing minas morgul is exactly the same... try finding a fantasy name generator or something to use, that way it will sound cool and it will be original. osgirith reminds me just a tad of Osgiliath in LOTR, but if you changed it, see it's hardly noticeable.

Level 27
Well then why don't you give me some ideas of yours if you really desire to help, if not stop complaining and start putting inputs. And I will give you credit for that. I put up screenshots for a purpose... I'm guessing ppl don't look at them do they...

Those screenshots arent rly impressive are they? .. they are just the map so did you expect a 'WOW THEY LOOK GREAT' reaction? .. i will say the look good for a b.net map so no complains about that .. also i dont have any complains about the mapname the minas morgul thingy or anything else! happy?

Level 36
Well I suppose you don't care about blatantly stolen names... if your going to rip something off... be subtle about it, take influence from something no ones heard of, but if what your borrowing from is far more famous then you ever will be, then its usually a bad idea to steal from it...

Level 12
My point is, I put this not to get comments about the name, I mean why does it really matter when I can change it in just a sec... like did you read about the spell crafting system? the quest based system? This is our first time making a map that we don't know how to make... it's a new type of gameplay. It seems like from the first time ppl make comments about the names, they just read the title and not the whole thing... there is no respect in that

Level 45
Be grateful we are even commenting at all and are willing enough post our opinions, and if its something that can be changed in a sec, why isnt it being solved in a sec? Why are you arguing so much about it, why are you saying its rude when you drabble on about it so much, its a simple that that could be easily fixed.

If people here notice it and have something with it, then its obvious people that play the map will have something with it aswell.

We dont HAVE TO read the whole thing, im very sure you dont read everything from the detail down to other things either. and a good name is the icing on a cake, while the systems and such are only the ingredients and you only get to sample them when you play.

People dont want to hear you just talk about things in one big whack, people take things that firstly come to them, thus you should make it easier for them to read.

For i dont read many things, i take things on more visually and i have a mental problem understanding such thing im not into "maps, technical things etc" and im very sure im not the only one. I(and many other people) only understand what concerns or attracts their attention.

People see things easier in dots points or lists, and not in huge paragraphs with tiny text. You listed the names right? and that caught peoples attention, so make it easier for people to read so we can *respect you* and you can "respect" us.

And this is advice, not a complaint, you can either take it that way and *complain* or take it like any *Proud and Original Map maker* would and respect the interest I and other people have in this thread about your map, its up to you.

Level 12
Ur lying... interest? ok forgive me for being so aggresive but I don't like it when ppl post comments that are based on skim through reading. Why? cuz then the comment is not relevant to the map and it is rhetorical. Why is it that the people before in wc3sear.ch post useful comments like, will it be possible to make the gameplay balanced if you are doing something different? It is not professional here, the name is rip off... ok fine then tell other map makers like NotD (night of the dead), warhammer, WoW and others that copied original names. If you are not a technical guy, then don't post here and for others as well, this is for expirienced map makers only, by doing this we learn and share ideas. And there is no learning in just saying the name is ripoff.

Just a sidenote I'm not greatefull for you all doing this because in the last couple of years, I communicate with people that are much more professional.

Level 36
the name is rip off... ok fine then tell other map makers like NotD (night of the dead), warhammer, WoW and others that copied original names.

I must digress. Are you making a NoTD map, or a Warhammer map, or a LOTR map? NO. You are supposedly making an ORIGINAL map that is completely seperate from some of these existing themes, yet you are still ripping off names from other themes to use in it.

Level 45
lying interest? what are you on about?

And no, the people from wc3sear didnt post usefull comments, they merely asked questions not feedback, they are merely kids that want to play a "l33t" map just because it *sounds* cool. We here are far more mature, and if you cant accept that, then you have no choice but to just leave or not listen to anyone at all. There were only afew people that posted great feedback on maps at sear and they were Razma and Rui and afew others out of 20,000 members.

If you really want to taste the wrath of experienced map makers who really know their shit, then go to wc3campaigns and post EXACTLY what you have here, then we will see what happens.

The difference between the maps called Warhammer and such is because they are FAN MAPS they are Based upon the actual name, they are not maps that have taken the name of famous games or series.

And im talking about YOUR MAP im not talking about other maps okay? get that hmm? You want me to be relevant right?

when did i say it was a rip off? i merely said try more creative names, and just because i dont take interest in technical topics doesn't mean i shouldn't post. Im not a fucking retard although your immaturity and pride may think so.

Plus i dont give a fuck if you talk to 13yr olds that shove cucumbers down their pants and post things that are more relevant to you or your maps. Fine, thats them, but this is us so accept it and stop complaining.

This is relevant the the map itself, if i made a map based on medieval map and included heroes called "Yoda" and "chewbacca" then people wouldn't be happy either. You wouldnt like it either and im sure of that and it would be the first and MOST SIMPLE thing to change. I said that im happy with the name G.E.A.R, but i never said you ripped the Minus morgal.

If your going to talk about your map within an open community, then EXPECT a wide range of comments and crits. Dont expect and demand that Experienced map makers should ONLY post and give their comments.

Its not rude at all, but when they start talking about nachos or shoes THATS WHEN YOU GET PISSED. Its rather rude to say that peoples advice and opinions are useless.

This place is for feedback yes i agree on that, but don't expect much "professional" feedback when your presenting a map but not actually letting people to judge and test your map, this doesn't attract the attention of experienced map makers not unless they wanna ask questions rather than making feedback on something they haven't even tested yet.

Now if you want *better* feedback, then go on, go to wc3c, or if you wanna stay here and still attempt then post your map or be more technical AND interesting AND easy to read rather than being full of too much ignorance. Plus, edit your first post and merge it with the other screen shots+info you posted.

Now, let us drop this, i agree to drop it, and this will be my last post cause I'm getting tired of this. So like i said:

Now if you want *better* feedback, then go on, go to wc3c, or if you wanna stay here and still attempt then post your map or be more technical AND interesting AND easy to read rather than being full of too much ignorance.

There, im finished. May you get "delightful" feedback and may the force be with you.

Level 12
What? did you even READ the first thread? U didn't right? that is why READ! this map has themes which is in FEAR. If you are just skimming through, and not knowing the whole project then don't COMMENT. If you did not read, then don't comment because you don't know anything.

Level 36
I agree, you have elements of FEAr, what does that have anything to do with you making a really similar name? And what does Minas Morgul have to do with FEAR? Nothing, you just ripped it off from LOTR, and as far as I know, this map is not a LOTR fan map, it's an original piece of work. So if you want to be original, then you can't use other people's names.

Level 13
Only two problems DoOs 101:
1) You have started two threads like this (which is double posting and agianst the rules)
2) You cant get Blizzards attention now that WoW is out.

On the other hand, the map looks pretty nice from what i can see terrain wise (just a little flat and in need of a more realistic look). Good luck!

Last edited:
Level 10
What? did you even READ the first thread? U didn't right? that is why READ! this map has themes which is in FEAR. If you are just skimming through, and not knowing the whole project then don't COMMENT. If you did not read, then don't comment because you don't know anything.

If you don't want to be accused of stuff then don't accuse others of stuff.

-Deck

Level 12
The other thread was not a problem, it went to the wrong section... should have went to the maps development. Well when I say get Blizzard's attention I mean getting their support to have this map given with the next patch update. It may seem impossible but I'm gonna try...

Anyways I'm not accusing, it is factual, these ppl that commented the names don't even know what the project is about. Anymore comments about the names now will be ignored, end of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.