• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Garden's Tale

What kind of atmosphere do you prefer?

• Crowded-realistic atmosphere (a lot of doodads and details)

• Clean-cartoonish atmosphere (minimal doodads and details)

• Medium-semi realistic atmosphere

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Hello. As been said, I'm working on intro cinematic atm. But I'm kind of struggling to decide the animation for the game's logo: should it be sliding from left to right? Or sliding from top to bottom? Or simply fading in?
It's quite nerdy but if someone happens to care, please help me to decide ;)

If the intro is finished completly then the second one looks better for me.
If after this intro, the screen stays, and a manu appears, or such (maybe start/load), then first one.

Because I think second is smoother for movies as standalone, but the thing that slides down and stays would maybe be a nice introduction for a menu background.

Level 21
Fading in is almost always better for softer and more relaxing music. If you had a sound effect with the logo, such as the sliding chain sound when you first open up Warcraft III, then the first one would work. But otherwise, I also vote for the second one.

Kazeon

Level 33
Well, now that's weird..

Anyway, eventually I decided to use the sliding down animation. Because... maybe it's not very visible in the video, maybe due to my not-so-HD recorder setting, but there is blurring away screen effect before the logo appears. To me using fading in animation doesn't feel to fit the blurring effect well.

Now, next problem is, is it better that the logo appears after or at the same time with the blurring screen effect? :D

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Hey guys, I'd like to ask you another opinions :grin:

Is it better that the intro cinematic played only once when the player start a new game? or every time they play the game? This is important because it will affect how the game loads and how the game introduction is presented. But I can't easily decide it, again :grin: Any thought is highly appreciated!

Kazeon

Level 33
No worries! New model on the way :D (rip ftw)

new_char.jpg

I'm still improving my animating skill tho, so it may takes a lot of times to finish

I also tried to implement such thing some years ago, and after some time I ended up in spaghetti-berg because I didn't structure it right away from the begining in a good way.
And adding / removing dialog optios which influence other behavious or quests, or so was just a pure pain at some later point. But I don't remember anymore what exactly...^^ But I was also more unexperienced back then..
If you structure it properly you for sure will do it, ^^ ... curious to see such things, once implemented in a good and interesting way.

Kazeon

Level 33
Yeah, if we talk about the whole conversation system, I also think it will be painful later at some point. Not to mention they will have different conversation contents depending on villager's affection level, time/place, events, etc. I only organized it as decently as I could. The code looks like this btw:
JASS:
        call Conversation.clear()
        call Conversation.addContent("Welcome to the Crescent Town. I'm Rodger, the mayor of this town. And this is Reeche, my assistant")
        call Conversation.addContent("Hello there.")
        call Conversation.addContent("How's the trip?")
        call SetUnitVertexColor(ConversationBox.box, 255, 255, 255, 255)
        set ConversationBox.finish = ConversationBox.start() == 0

And the respond menu dialog structure isn't much different.

Kazeon

Level 33
Hello! So now I will get some helps from the almighty artist, @Wisdom. He will make character portraits which will be displayed atop of the conversation box (to show who's speaking). He demonstrated his skill on a little test I gave:

quinez300-png.259938

I'm sure his service will make some significant improvements to the game!
But well, now I will need to make a better and more HD conversation box to match his quality ^^a

Kazeon

Level 33
Update. Mainly focused on improving the UI and dialog system.
- Added proper vertical offset to some letters and re-scaled'em
- Added custom symbol and line break feature
- Character portrait is now attached complete with expression variations
- Half-finished control tutorial

Meanwhile, Wisdom has proposed some half finished character portrait for the mayor:
quinez-senyum-xx-png.260919
quinez-senyum-gigixx-png.260921
quinez-baruxx-png.260917
quinezcmbrtviimarahxx-png.260671
quinezaaixx-png.260651

Last edited:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

Update. Mainly focused on improving the UI and dialog system.
- Added proper vertical offset to some letters and re-scaled'em
- Added custom symbol and line break feature
- Character portrait is now attached complete with expression variations
- Half-finished control tutorial

Meanwhile, Wisdom has proposed some half finished character portrait for the mayor:
quinez-senyum-xx-png.260919
quinez-senyum-gigixx-png.260921
quinez-baruxx-png.260917
quinezcmbrtviimarahxx-png.260671
quinezaaixx-png.260651

i really like that video :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.