• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game of Thrones Risk 1.4

This is my take of the Risk genre.

Table of Contents

[highlight]The Map is set in Westeros, the continent of the First men and The Andals.
Its also the setting of most of the TV series Game of Thrones (That most people know it as today)[/code]

Gamplay: The Game features your standard Risk features, such as control points and Turn based income.

However in this risk you will find alot of Houses (Families) and ther seats of power. When you control an entire House and control all of ther Castles. (3-4, in some cases 2) Then you will be given some additional income each turn.

Some more elite units requires Influnce, which is given when you control an entire Realm (Such as Dorne, or The Iron Islands)

Furthermore Each unit has some Advantages over the other is long as they are in ther homeland, and most ranged units can fire special Arrows or Spears as long as they are resupplied.

HgcH13y.jpg

MEReSWr.png

AQ5MKZ1.jpg
[
mv09P1x.jpg

awOaM4H.jpg
wf3jGsH.jpg

This is still heavily in Development but here are some of my planned features
Planned Features

* More Land (Essos, etc.)
* Improved Tooltips for Units (Dmg, Damage&Armor Type)
* Better Forum Post!
Changelog

- 1.0a
Improved Loading Screen a little.
Lowerd Filesize for Online play.

Added Water Transport (and got rid of that hideous shallow water).
Added the Summer Isles.
Rezised all models to fit.
Fixed Numerous bugs and Mistakes.

Fixed a critical bug that caused people to disconnect as soon as they downloaded the map.
Added War Galleys.
Removed some almost unused Imported models for the sake of Map Size.
Bug Fixes.

-1.2a
Mostly Bugfixes, resizes, placement fixes.
A Help ability at every castle to make the map more user friendly to new players.
Changed Model of Pirate since Muskets is against Lore.

-1.2b
+40-50% Better Map Pathing.

-1.2d
Added Flaming Arrows.
Added Venom Tips.
Added Many new Ablilites spread out on Units.
Changed Ability Description a little.
Supply Carts.
Many Finishing Touches and Fixes.
Little more diverse Terrain and a few more Doodads.

-1.2g
Many more Fixes
Buffed the Neck
Craggonmen are no longer to the fumes of the neck
More Abilites

-1.2v
A few fixes

Heroes!
Free for All Mode
Pathing Bugs and Spelling Mistakes corrected
Alot of small unimportant Stuff
Added Regional Spawns
Fixed Gamebreaking bugs from 1.3
Updated Tooltips
Updated Hero Abilitys

Please review the map and bring me ideas, things i could do diffrent, and as much constructive criticism as possible.

Models and Icons. Thanks
Credits can also be found in the F9
-
kola, Furiontti, Sansui, D.ee, MaxShadow, NFWar, The Panda, KelThuzad, Sin'dorei300, Uncle Fester, Radagast, Kitabatake, Fingolfin, Direfury, darkdeathknight, Chriz, MassiveMaster, Heinvers, Tenebrae, HappyTauren, BloodElf300, Sunchips, Sellenisko, Thrikodius, Tranquil, communist_orc, Blood Raven, Ribenamania, Skipper, Amigurumi, Debode, Elenai, General Frank, Aquis, Rondo, Mr.Bob, Stanakin Skywalker, Marcos DAB, Ergius, Em!, Revilo, Lord_T, HerrDave, UgoUgo, Blood Raven, eubz, Markos3520, Dark Hunter1357, levigeorge1617, wingednosering, Wandering Soul, Sellenisko, Mike, Ujimasa Hojo, Illidan(evil)x, Shadow_killer, Blizzard Entertainment, Eagle XI, Direfury, Himperion, supertoinkz,
Mc !, loktar, HateCrew, antihero, skrab, paradise.engineeri, Mephestrial, imforfun, Shadow_killer, takakenji, PROXY, AhhFreshWeeD, MatiS, MassiveMaster, Ergius, wojia10502, Yayoi,VampireHeart.

Systems and Triggers
-
Weed

Keywords:
Risk, Strategy, Game of Thrones, A song of ice and Fire, Westeros
Contents

Game of Thrones Risk 1.4 (Map)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b 01:03, 15th Jul 2015 Map Moderated - Game of Thrones Risk v1.2 Comment - My Review Verdict - Approved, 3/5 Other [TR]Map Submission Rules Staff Contact The Hive's StaffMap Reviewers Description Tutorials
Level 3
Really cool risk! I love the layout, and it totaly merges the Game of Thrones feelings into a Warcraft 3 scenario! Well done!

The terrain is nice and simple with a good amount of detail, so there still is plenty room for hundreds of soldiers, marching through the fields and rivers!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Fix it please and it won't be rejected for that!
I don't think a map is only rejected due to high file-size that makes it unplayable in multi player ( except Garena).

Tho, I strongly recommend you to reduce the file size to make it playable in multi player with e.g. MMH or Ent.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Review Game of Thrones Risk v1.2

Visuals - Ambience and Aesthetics

Overall the terrain is a good base and you greatly recreated the Games of Thrones landscape and shape.

A big thing missing is overall tile variation and the use of doodads. Some areas, especially between two control points, are just empty, no tile variation, no doodads.

Another thing, nokiaman, the pathing is just awful. Units trained at Rooks Rest, for example, get stuck due to the pathing.
I would strongly recommend you to add a custom pathing, that means remove the pathing from all buildings and doodads and add custom ones. It just feels odd to walk through castles and doodads.

Maybe take also a look on Hive's terraining tutorials, they can greatly help you. ( CTRL+F to search for keywords like 'terrain'

Gameplay and Features

The gameplay isn't very unique and known from other popular risk maps.
You greatly created custom units for each House that give you a good taste playing as your favourite House from the series/ books.
But, these units do not differ a lot from each other. They are basically all the same, having one ability ( mostly critical strike) and usually a lands bonus.
It could be a good idea to add more unique units to allow players to develop strategies.
nokiaman, in its current state it is only clashing an army against a control point.

Result
Game of Thrones Risk is a good map especially for Game of Thrones fans.
Overall, the game is very simple and lacks features as well as variety in unit abilities and unit types.

nokiaman, keep on working!

I vote for Awaiting Update

Level 28
Reach Archer and Stormlands Archer have Flaming Arrows but no mana.
Dornish Archer tooltip says they have poison arrows.
The middle island in the Summer Islands has no shipyard.
Ramsgate can't build anything.
A unit that leaves Harrenhal's circle of power is teleported to Ten Towers.
Lizard lions don't attack.

Level 28
Yeah, that was it.

Not sure how likely this is (I played it alone) but having too many houses under you causes them to crowd each other out during the income message.

One of the archer units (with the WC2 Ranger portrait) has both Flaming and Poison arrows. Seems to me Flaming is objectively better than Poison.

Level 32
Ardenian said:
But, these units do not differ a lot from each other. They are basically all the same, having one ability ( mostly critical strike) and usually a lands bonus.
In risk maps, this is usually what's recommended to keep balance and familiarity. The most popular risk map, risk devo, is commonly regarded to be the best / the example on how to make a successful risk map that all use the same units for all players and regions. Another popular risk, WoW risk also uses units that barely differ depending on the price.

Anyway, I found this map and version being hosted so I joined it. I played it for 25 minutes 'till my internet cut out. Expect a review in a day or two.

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yes, of course I agree, SCN, but I think there could be more unique units. Even the very expensive units hardly differ from the common units.

Level 32

[TD]
227608-albums7747-picture94626.png

GENERAL
227608-albums7747-picture96703.png
Game of Thrones Risk, at least for the 1.2v version, is a fully working, mostly balanced, average "terrained," standard risk map. While it is missing some risk features that have become norm such as select-able game modes and spawns, the map would likely be a nice try for risk fans tired of the same old one's.
GAMEPLAY
227608-albums7747-picture96702.gif
I've played this four times, three times on battle.net and I've got a consensus of what the players dislike. As I mentioned in above, there aren't any game modes to choose from. While only two players complained about it, I'm positive most people would prefer it. All of the actively played risk maps on battle.net have game modes to choose from them. Not having game modes isn't an issue, it's just a recommendation to keep the gameplay varied.

The game progresses similarly to middle earth risk except that the map is signifantly more crowded due to the layout. Besides some of the top and the seas, the map's layout is almost too consistent. Small to medium twisting pathways are everywhere to be seen. The problem with this type of pathing is that strategy is frequently limited to linear battles.

Speaking of strategy, the game is on the more spam happy side. While risks like devo and next gen feature gigantic battles with hundreds of units having battles are critically praised, having that in this map is difficult to manage. This has to do with the price of units, the collision size, and layout. There is no unit above 10g. Those in the higher range still can be spammed. If you decide to add higher units in the 20s, 30s, and maybe even 50s worth their price, it will add more micro elements and easier control in the game which will tone down the spam of the game. To sum it up, spam happy maps aren't necessarily bad as they could be balanced, but they usually cause more irritation to the general populace.

Speaking of balance, I think you did a fine job. Unit wise, I found no under powered or over powered units and the prices are what they're worth. Layout wise, it's mostly solid but I found one iff. The top left of the map having no port is completely unfair. Maybe it's not lore accurate to put a port there, but usually gameplay should be more prioritized than lore.

The wow factor of the units aren't really there, but that's not what risk known is for. The supply cart and it's system is quite cool, but that might be all that's cool about the units. You could try and experiment with abilities or systems, but this is a priority in a risk map that's often overlooked for modest reason.

All in all, the gameplay is what many would expect. Despite a few minor hiccups here and there, the core of the game performs well.​
AMBIENCE & AESTHETICS
227608-albums7747-picture96666.jpg
The who look of the map isn't terrible, but it ain't pretty. I deem it as average. While many of the models and skins used look badass, most of the things surrounding 'em are rather bland. The tile and decorations don't flow. What you can do to make the map more visually pleasing, or dare I say artistic, is to not decorate more, but to decorate accordingly. Terraining Tutorial
MISCELLANEOUS
227608-albums7747-picture96667.png
I've been told by multiple people that the map is pretty much lore accurate, so good job on that. Also, you spelled Northern as "Northen" many times.​
[/TD][/tr]

MODERATOR RATING
227608-albums7747-picture97057.png
227608-albums7747-picture97058.png

PERSONAL USER RATING

Last edited:
Level 4
Awesome game, unique gameplay. But in all honesty AI is mandatory in FFA games in case someone left. Can't drop the fun can we?

Level 1
May be I am not a fan of risk, but in my oppinion such enormous work is done for nothing. Stamp the units and go ahead. No tactics required, settlements are taken with no efforts. Arrow supply sucks - it is not a supply really. Overall, very boring and straightforward game. No need to have so many types of units at all.
Positive sides: Westeros map, local unit bonuses feater. But they do not make the map interesting or very special.

Level 3
Hello !
To start with, I really like your map, the unit variety and balance is nice, even if there some issues (like spammable Kinsguards that can butcher whole armies :d) but definitivly alot of fun !

Can we hope for an update one day ? That would be really cool !