• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game Exports | Foo Fighters at BlizzCon 2011 | New StarCraft novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The Hive Workshop has reconsidered the use of exported resources from games whose copyrights are owned by Blizzard Entertainment. If you find any conflicting rules, we'd appreciate that you let us know. The game exports rule has already been rectified.
As of the 28th of September of 2011, The Hive Workshop is accepting the exportation and use — in maps or mods — of artistic resources (skins, icons, and models) from games whose copyrights are owned by Activision Blizzard/Blizzard Entertainment.
  • Requests forum: Users are allowed to export, modify and upload resources — admitting the number of solicited items is reasonable — at their discretion. There is no policy regarding the quality or degree of modification of such exports within this particular forum ONLY.
    • The staff decides whether or not that number is reasonable.

• Maps: Maps may now utilize exports from other Blizzard games. If your map has been previously rejected on grounds of Blizzard copyright infringement, you may request for it to be restored in the Map Resource Moderation.

• Skins: Arbitrary uploading of exported textures is not condoned. Further info on Models below.

• Icons: You are allowed to utilize icons from Blizzard games other than WarCraft III or StarCraft II as base images. However, every icon is still subject to the at-least-75%-freehand rule as well as the requirements of proper bordering and formatting in order to suit the destined game environment.

• Models: Any exported model must be formatted properly to be fitting with other models of the destined game. For example, the difference on the number of polies of a WoW-to-WC3 model and other WC3 models must not be too high, and WC3-to-SC2 models must receive proper diffuse, emmisive and specular textures.

A new StarCraft novel is now on stores:
Dominion ghosts epitomize the height of terran evolution and physical conditioning. Augmented by technologies that harness their innate psionic potential, these lethal operatives use telepathy and other superhuman powers to isolate and destroy the enemies of the Dominion. But when the hunters become the hunted and ghosts start disappearing without a trace, even the most dangerous human soldiers in the Koprulu sector have something to fear...

Enter Nova Terra, a ghost of unparalleled ability. On orders from Emperor Arcturus Mengsk, Nova embarks on a secret mission to find her missing comrades. As her investigation leads down a maze of dark corridors, painful memories of her pre-ghost years begin to surface. Soon, Nova learns that there might be a connection between the missing agents and her past, a discovery that will pit her against both the shadows of her youth and a terrifying new breed of psionic warrior: spectres.

StarCraft: Ghost -- Spectres by Nate Kenyon is now available at local and online book retailers.

Check out the article to find hyperlinks to Amazon.

Blizzard has announced that the band Foo Fighters will be headlining the closing concert of this year's BlizzCon.The fictional band Lvl 80 Tauren Chieftain is also scheduled to make an appearance! Check out the article here!

Today is history. Today will be remembered. Years from now the young will ask with wonder about this day. Today is history and you are part of it.
WOW Imports in MAPS, FUCK YEAH!
Damn I started to shit to much ^_^

Anyway, I just hope that we didn't make big mistake.
Enjoy the new rules, and present to use awesome resources.

Level 22
That's funny. I remember the time when Icon section was full of WoW icons of 10 types of bread, 20 types of fruit, 20 types of other equipment, etc. Don't forget this means within Activision, import/rips from other non-Blizz games are still not allowed on this site, in case some new members dont read it carefully.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
What changed yer minds?
The fact that Blizzard themselves do not seem to care about people using models from, say, World of Warcraft on StarCraft II; they are apparently okay with model exportation as long as it's from games which they made.

The logic behind this is that, by law, you are not allowed to just take artistic property from other companies and use it in your games; and since Blizzard now deems that any SC2 user-created maps are their property, you using a model from, for example, a game made by Electronic Arts (EA) is the equivalent of Blizzard taking a model from EA and using it in SC2 without permission. This would probably lead to EA suing (taking legal action against) Blizzard.
Since WC3 and SC2 are both Blizzard games, Blizzard is most unlikely going to sue itself because you exported from one game to the other. We've rejected exports from WoW so far because the legal agreement that people usually tick as read (without actually reading :croll:) says that you are not allowed to export at all, but if Blizzard is not enforcing its own copyright rules within their games, why should we?

That's funny. I remember the time when Icon section was full of WoW icons of 10 types of bread, 20 types of fruit, 20 types of other equipment, etc. Don't forget this means within Activision, import/rips from other non-Blizz games are still not allowed on this site, in case some new members dont read it carefully.
Indeed, and I should probably make this clearer in the game exports rule.

Fantastic! I've waited so long for this!

Just one question? People can now upload WoW icons/models/skins or just use them in their maps?
I suppose the rules are ambiguous on some regards. I will be correcting them according to my response to you below.

By «arbitrary uploading», we meant to say we will not allow people to simply start exporting textures/skins from WoW and upload them at will; the Hive is accepting textures which may include some CnP from WoW textures, but we are not turning into a massive resources-from-Blizzard-games-database. We will (always) enforce the uploading of original work.

I believe Blizzard even uploaded a set of WoW icons for use in Warcraft III. What's been stated for textures holds true for icons; you may CnP or use WoW pictures as base images for your own icons, but at least 3/4 of the image must be freehand (icon moderators may, of course, open exceptions at their discretion).

As for models, as stated in the rules, you must edit them to fit their destined game environment. As exemplified, SC2 models have textures called diffuses, speculars and stuff. The minimum we demand is that the model you upload will be fitting with the game it is for (which is WC3 if you upload it to our Models section, or SC2 if you upload it to the SC2 Resources section).

You may use WoW resources in, for example, your WC3 map unedited to fit WC3, it's your choice, though it'll probably look bad to see a model of clear higher quality in the midst of other lower quality models (and that'll probably weight on reviews^^).

So how do I re-enter my rejected models??

T.
You mean you have rejected resources that you want re-evaluated according to our new standards? You should probably take that to Model Resource Moderation.

Level 22
WoW models in war3 maybe too large. But since people needed medieval models in SC2, now you could get some. I have a hard time dealing with any models when 3ds max is the only way to convert anything, war3 made me learn Milkshape not 3ds max, even though I know how to work with that M3 plugin and these textures it's no big deal.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Anyway, I just hope that we didn't make big mistake.
I would really hate to see the resource section filled with WoW models, instead of our users creative works.
I'm not sure exporting 3D models from World of Warcraft, to import into a Warcraft 3 map, can be described as modding.
I would rather encourage users to be creative themselves, learn how to create models etc. You know: actually MOD the game.

This is wrong.

Where's Ralle in all this?

Not really, I just fear to see large number of those resources uploaded by random users who do not read site rules. Moderators will have more work for sure.

Once again, ripped models are not acceptable (in raw form), they must be edited to fit wc3.
There is no point to rip 2MB models and upload it here, who will download it and import it into map...

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Why should people want to submit models now? If they can just go export, convert & optimize a WoW model :goblin_cry:

I wonder, did you discuss wether or not submitting WoW models should show up on a users resource profile? No credit should be givin' to people who submits WoW models. No reputation points allowed.
I wouldn't want them to show up when browsing models (people who are looking for WoW models should have to select a specific option redirecting them to Blizzard-works), neither would I want to see them show up on the front page. That place is reserved for creative people. Change this, and I will not care much for whomsoever made that change.

Modellers I implore you, NEVER stop sharing or creating your absolutely brilliant 3D works ! :goblin_good_job:

Level 25
I would really hate to see the resource section filled with WoW models, instead of our users creative works.
I'm not sure exporting 3D models from World of Warcraft, to import into a Warcraft 3 map, can be described as modding.
I would rather encourage users to be creative themselves, learn how to create models etc. You know: actually MOD the game.

This is wrong.

Where's Ralle in all this?

Force 'em all in a separate category "WOW-Models".

Why should people want to submit models now? If they can just go export, convert & optimize a WoW model :goblin_cry:

I wonder, did you discuss wether or not submitting WoW models should show up on a users resource profile? No credit should be givin' to people who submits WoW models. No reputation points allowed.
I wouldn't want them to show up when browsing models (people who are looking for WoW models should have to select a specific option redirecting them to Blizzard-works), neither would I want to see them show up on the front page. That place is reserved for creative people. Change this, and I will not care much for whomsoever made that change.

Modellers I implore you, NEVER stop sharing or creating your absolutely brilliant 3D works ! :goblin_good_job:

I thought the point in modelling was that ye actually liked what you do?
What did this change? There have always been someone who is better than you and I , yet we still make maps and models.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I thought the point in modelling was that ye actually liked what you do?
Indeed :) But accepting WOW models is against the Hive's standpoint which encourage users to be creative.

People might even choose a WOW model rather than a custom made model. I would really hate to see modellers works be forgotten simply because WOW models are allowed here on the site.

But I might overestimate WOW models :)

Level 19
Well, hopefully there'll be a way to tell, maybe a section labelled Blizzard Models for models from Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and World of Warcraft while another section would be the original, custom made ones.

Blizzard is starting to feel for some players who might need this so this could be a great forward step for them, glad to see Blizzard getting better with the community:)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
This implied people would create the model if they couldn't export-convert-optimize. I doubt that, but if a modeler wants to speak out, please do.

That can be arranged, I think there's an option to change author if it's not yours, but still, we can use the Public Resource Provider.

(...)
My knowledge of web scripting languages is limited, and Ralle himself does not seem too comfortable with me working on that, so he'd have to arrange that himself. But I share of your concerns, and would like to see originality favored as well.

As for «where is Ralle in all this», we created a discussion thread on August 30 and came to a decision approximately one week later, I stated that I'd post this news announcement early-mid September but my computer started screwing up, and I forgot about it until now (actually I thought I had already posted it). So, it's been a month, I'm fairly sure that the staff members who did not participate in the debate (Ralle included) are in agreement.

I voted in favor because Blizzard, for what I know, has yet to release some art tools that make modelers' lives easier, and there are so many resources that could be of use in SC2. Plus, undeniably, Blizzard models are made by professionals who wouldn't have otherwise gotten their jobs.
I love originality as much as you seem to -- really, I do, it's about the only thing that (would) still make(s) me mod (and/or play) Warcraft III --, but I feel that the resources provided by original modelers are insufficient or simply fail to meet the requirements of map makers most of the times, or, in more extreme cases, are downright useless. I state this as a map maker and I believe I can speak for other map makers out there. Most good modelers will be working for companies and not for free.
What we did here is meant to help the transition from Wc3 to SC2, give everyone more and quicker opportunities in modding, and, in the end, for the enduring of the Hive Workshop itself.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
That can be arranged
You didn't consider this? It seems like this sudden change in policy wasn't considered thoroughly :goblin_cry:
I'm fairly sure that the staff members who did not participate in the debate (Ralle included) are in agreement.
I'm sorry, what? Fairly sure i.e. you have no idea?

You did this without approval from the other admins? Ralle included?

but I feel that the resources provided by original modelers are insufficient or simply fail to meet the requirements of map makers most of the times, or, in more extreme cases, are downright useless.
Tell that to Tarrasque, Ampharos_222, Dionesiist, Nasrudin, Tranquil, Kwaliti, Pyramidhe@d, anarchianbedlam, SuPa-, TDR, Frankster, Kitabatake, shamanyouranus, Fingolfin and ALL those who contribute to this site's excellent, brilliant, unique and simply outstanding model-resource section (Sorry to all those I forgot to mention <3).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I think just about any user that does not know the model is from WoW will read the comments and/or description and understand it's from WoW. So yes, it is considered.

And no, fairly sure i.e. fairly sure. We cannot be waiting for everyone's participation or we'd only ever get things passed through after a year, and the waiting time's long enough. And I didn't do anything, the staff did.

Key word: most of the times.

Level 22
^ you forgot GeneralFrank and HappyTauren, I think they've been (arguably) the biggest modelers. Just do WoW models in a thread like someone above mentioned and you wont have WoW models in model section, but one could add a new link among the |Models| Skins| etc. sections like |WoW Models|.

My position is: indifferent of any THW changes but who cares Im not a creator, just throwing a random idea

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
And no, fairly sure i.e. fairly sure. We cannot be waiting for everyone's participation or we'd only ever get things passed through after a year, and the waiting time's long enough. And I didn't do anything, the staff did.
I'm glad you talked to Ralle about this. Got me worried there for a sec.

I will talk to Ralle more carefully about implementing this new policy.
Certain criterias has to be met before it has my support.

marko9 said:
you forgot GeneralFrank and HappyTauren
I forgot all the users who've ever submitted a model to the Hive ;)
Oh, and it's Frankster aka. GeneralFrank now. I actually thought HappyTauren still used the name TotallyAwesome (atleast that's how I know him).
But yes, HappyTauren aka. TotallyAwesome is indeed worth highlighting. He helped me a lot in the past with a project of mine.

As for Foo Fighters performing at Blizzcon = WIN.

Level 5
THIS IS AWESOME, I am a modeller, but I find making textures too much time consuming and fatiguing. Now I , and much other modellers, will have the chance to use Wow or Diablo III textures :)

This is an excellent change to the site, however, I totally agree with Archian about the "originality" of the projects

Level 51
Game Exporting Rules

Did I missed something?

As of September 28, 2011, The Hive Workshop is accepting the exportation and use — in maps or mods — of artistic resources (skins, icons, and models) from games whose copyrights are owned by Activision Blizzard/Blizzard Entertainment.
We do not accept exportations or use, no matter how minimal they are, of artistic resources whose copyrights are not owned by Blizzard in (all) our resource sections.

Requests forum: Users are allowed to export, modify and upload resources — admitting the number of solicited items is reasonable — at their discretion. There is no policy regarding the quality or degree of modification of such exports within this particular forum ONLY.
The staff decides whether or not the number of requested resources is reasonable.

Maps: Maps may now utilize exports from other Blizzard games. Unlike in many of the other sections, we will not request that the resources you use in your map are fitting with the game, but your discernment on their use will be subject to the evaluation of our Map Moderators.
If your map has been previously rejected on grounds of Blizzard copyright infringement, you may request for it to be restored in the Map Resource Moderation.

Skins: Arbitrary uploading of exported textures is not condoned. Skin Moderators will allow copy-and-paste (CnP) in your textures to a degree, but The Hive strongly encourages the production of original work.

Icons: You are allowed to utilize icons from Blizzard games other than Warcraft III (WC3) or StarCraft II (SC2) as base images. However, every icon that you upload to our Icon or SC2 Resources sections is still subject to the at-least-75%-freehand rule as well as the requirements of proper bordering and formatting in order to suit the destined game environment.

Models: Any exported model that you upload to our Models or SC2 Resources sections must be formatted properly to be fitting with other models of the destined game. For example, the difference on the number of polies of a WoW-to-WC3 model and other WC3 models must not be too high, and WC3-to-SC2 models must receive proper diffuse, emmisive and specular textures.

Note that any resources you upload, wherever you upload them, on the Hive Workshop, have to have Blizzard mentioned as the original authors if a part, no matter how small it is, of the resource has been designed using Blizzard resources. This can be done in a post where you attached exports or in a resource's description.

Level 11
Good decision but I do hope that the hives quality parameters will remain the same.

{EDIT}
I love originality as much as you seem to -- really, I do, it's about the only thing that (would) still make(s) me mod (and/or play) Warcraft III --, but I feel that the resources provided by original modelers are insufficient or simply fail to meet the requirements of map makers most of the times, or, in more extreme cases, are downright useless. I state this as a map maker and I believe I can speak for other map makers out there. Most good modelers will be working for companies and not for free.
What we did here is meant to help the transition from Wc3 to SC2, give everyone more and quicker opportunities in modding, and, in the end, for the enduring of the Hive Workshop itself.

I throughly agree with Rui, sometimes the resources are inefficient. Why else would map makers resort to using wow models in their map. Moreover artists seldom take peoples request. I understand that the model and texture artists at the hive do a brilliant job of providing us with free and original masterpieces of art, but every resource is not useful to every map maker. Demands are varied and particular, and for reasons very obvious we can't expect our artists to meet every persons request. So I'm with the decision to allow bliz imports but only if the artistic parameters of the hive are kept intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
99% of map makers are newbies, I saw maps with god know what resources imported, whole map was shiny and full of some retarded models because they looked cool in models section, or because that model was so far unseen :sad:

Map size is almost everything, If you can create fun and simple multiplier map below 1 MB, it will be hosted 10 more times, and played with full players 20 more times than epic 5MB map.

This sucks a lot, because people don't want to waste their time learning and playing maps (for example AOS map types).

1st of all, make your map famous, host it like 20 times per day, upload it to god know how many web sites, share it with friends etc etc. When you see it hosted by other people, then, start improving visual quality.

WOW or less used SC2 models aren't everything.

Level 16
I guess i see what you're trying to say here and it's true that WOW or less used SC2 models aren't everything but not everyone is skilled with codes. You may be right about some Multiplayer facts but i don't think map size is almost everything because people have different ways of impressing and you should know that. Nevertheless map making is an art form with different types of expresion.
It's true that i may be am a noob but I'm still learning!
In the end we can't all have the same way o thinking so we have to listen, analyze and validate or invalidate other people's ideas therefore making a new conclusion which almost anyone can agree on, the result of this is progress.

Any further ideas or good criticism is appreciated!:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.