1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Gaias Retaliation: Remastered

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Zwiebelchen, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Barwat

Barwat

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is amazing !! Can we have an ETA on the beta of this project ?

Very good work as always !

2. muzzel

muzzel

Resources:
    JASS:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    sweet

3. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hype, we just started leveling again after years of not playing

4. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I have to back out of this. After giving it a serious thought, I fear this might destroy what people actually like about Gaias Retaliation, which imho are the classes and the identity they have.

I will, however, remaster the item system, simply because I can now can and it will save me a lot of time in the future.

5. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree on it somewhat, The old system where we got scrolls for abilities was really nice and I *somewhat* miss it as it gave classes like thieves more incentive to stealing.

Doing small bosses and such, I'm not saying I dislike the new system, it just needs more ability diversity for it to work instead of getting them from drops as you get your late game stuff fairly quickly.

Same thing could happen if you change stuff like creeps and so on, it could end up making the game too different, better go for the safe route and keep improving from there, not only that but it will also give you time to finish stuff that people actually wanted like D4 and abilities.

Maybe somewhere in the future we can get a higher level cap, if you do decide to do so, maybe consider raising the level of the trade route and consequent areas as to force the player to kill Firelord a couple of times before he can advance.

People who are used to 1.1 remember D3 being a must, but newer players don't do D3 until like they're level 50 or so.

This will also force people into having to do D2 before D3, giving both dungeons an actual meaning.

I suppose a way would be to have all the areas and quests after D3 be at least 5 levels above content before D3/with D3 except bosses, that way you can only level up with bosses and at least 1 level would be FL only.

//////////

I recently came back to playing after a few years, I had forgotten most of the stuff and a lot of stuff had changed (I left when Alchemist got added as a boss, did it and quit).

The game has indeed become easier for solo/duos/trios due to mercenaries, but even that is acceptable, what isn't acceptable is my friends not doing D3 at all, they just avoided D3 and went to Trade routes+ altogether...

Either make it what I suggested above, or make the path only open if you get an item dropped from Firelord called "Casimir's Quest" (Not saveable, and 10% or so drop rate from FL), only when he moves the path opens and you can move forward.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  6. khj

khj

Resources:
    Resources:
    For a player who passed D3, it sounds really cool.
    But many players wouldn't be able to pass further D3 then because there are lots of people who play solo and don't want to look for other players.
    Well, I agree that Gaias is a team-based game and there are plenty of milestones in the game, that can't be reached w/o other players' help at the level they're supposed to be reached. But there is no need for adding another milestone which people wouldn't be able to pass through alone.

Also, I like the idea of stealing spell scrolls or getting spells any other way than just pressing two buttons (first that comes to mind is a repeatable Q that gives a random spell scroll). It'd make sins and bards more valuable, even though they aren't bad right now. And I'm not saying that people have to get a scroll to learn a spell at, let's say, level 33 and w/o the scroll they wouldn't have a spell at that level. I mean, those scrolls might be alternatives for spells after level 25.

Either way, Zwieb, if you feel like you want to rework characters or to do some other changes that require codewipe - don't hesitate, because it wouldn't kill your map, it would make players more active. Adding D4 will only bring like 15-25 hours of gameplay total for most of the players and in the end, they are gonna be helping newbies getting their items, which is not really interesting. When codewipe will enforce people to start from scratch w/o any advantages and make the game more interesting for newcomers. (Though, it's only my own view of the situation)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agree with Khj.

8. SaikoDeMoN

SaikoDeMoN

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not personally against code-wipes, but if there's no technical reason that forces it, it's a bad idea. Playing through the same content you played through before to get to the same point you were is not fun at all. Ofcourse, it will mean more play time for older players but it's not particularly interesting play, just a grind.

Man, I just want D4. Can't we just table discussions of classes and whatnot and get more bosses to fight and complete the story? If zwieb wants a new item system that's perfectly fine (so we can just easily have random-generated blue drops to test D4), then we just need the 25+ spells and start testing bosses. Everything else is fluff. Trying to put shine on a product that isn't complete yet is a lesson in futility.

9. VakarlanS

VakarlanS

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess time will tell, I would like to have D4 too, but if the code wipe comes together with an interesting rework (like mechanics , class roles), I will take it.

Took the words right out of my mouth, personally I don't mind helping newbies to gear up and teach them about bossing, cause they will in turn teach others to do so, of course not all of them.

10. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    A friend of mine constantly tells me "don't fix it if it isn't broken" when I start talking about coding stuff. And he's right about this. The current game works well and everything it needs are bugfixes and more content.

Reworking the item system is still the way to go, though, simply because it makes adding new content a lot faster to do and allows for more visual variety at the same time.

Holidays incoming. I hope I can fix all the remaining bugs within that week of easter holidays so that I can finally start coding new bosses.

11. mr po

mr po

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If the game will be updated by using version 1.29, how many percent of players that don't have battlenet cannot play it?

12. VakarlanS

VakarlanS

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can bet Eurobattle will be working over time for this, there are tons of players from EU that don't have legit wc3 ver. But this is not the topic on hand.

13. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Zwiebelchen
    Can we still have the old 8 player limit back though ?
    Please :).

14. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Not possible; too many systems hardcoded for 6 players.

15. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Alright. Well, not your fault that Wc3 doesn't allow joining maps on the fly. :-/

16. JuanShadows

JuanShadows

Resources:
    Resources:
    Still working on the map, or is it dead? I didn’t see any other contents in awhile

17. khj

khj

Resources:
    Resources:
    @JuanShadows don't worry, the map is still being developed. There are no many updates lately because Zwiebelchen is a busy person. Though, as he said, he's going to work on bugfixes within next few weeks.

18. S0ulseeker

S0ulseeker

Resources:
    Resources:
    Also from what I've noticed is Zweibel has gotten away from using the forums as a source of update (mostly, he still does some stuff here) but the majority of discussions etc. all seem to happen on the offical gaias discord now

19. JuanShadows

JuanShadows

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks, guys!

20. Freelancah

Freelancah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Could you share the link for it? I am surprised somebody bothers to still update this game in 2018. It's awesome and sad at the same time :p?