Frostcraft v2.00b

This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

frostcraft-header-b-gif.381184

Frostcraft is a multi-player action RTS designed to reward both tactic and skill.
Enter the unforgiving lands of the north as one of 36 original heroes in a 4v4 fight for supremacy.

overview4-gif.381185

Frostcraft heroes are inspired by Warcraft's iconic classes and races and are designed with no set "role" in mind.
There's always a new strategy to discover or a new way to play your favorite hero.

Other than items and abilities, you can choose one of many versatile pets to accompany you in your battles.
These adorable companions follow you and attack enemies automatically, each with a unique aura to buff your allies or hinder your opponents.

Crystals serve as the map's secondary unique resource.
These precious gems are generated in your base over time and allow you to upgrade or recruit new units for your faction.

As the game progresses, new objectives become the focus of the battlefield.
Aggressive strategies and well-timed offensive maneuvers can turn the tides of the battle at any time.
Slaying any of the four bosses awards the team a powerful orb and adds a special unit to your faction's army.
Contested structures become more important but increasingly harder to defend.

changelog-gif.381180

Patches come out frequently, often bringing new content, occasional fixes, and balance changes.
I keep an updated patch-notes channel in the official Discord server of Frostcraft.
Click on the button below and join our small community!

credits-gif.381181

This is my first map. I had to learn so much while making it, and I'm still learning a lot as I keep working on it.
Some names in the credits are there not only because their resources gave shape to some of my ideas but also because they taught me something!
Thanks to: Bribe, CrazyRussian, Kenathorn, Kellym0, Krysis, General Frank, Bagysta, MCkill2009, Maker, PeeKay, Sadgasm, Slay7, Spellbound, Blizzard.
And a special Thanks to: FeelsGoodMan, Moonman, Mr.Goblin, and of course Mythic.

frostcraft_divider_14-png.381183
Contents

FrostCraft v2.00b (Map)

Reviews
Alexen
Checked it out. You are at the start of a dangerous road. The AoS genre is by far (in my opinion) the hardest to master and handle. Yet, for starters, you did a fine job. The loading screen is really well picked. The tooltips in the hero selection...
Moonman
Well, I played a few games now, tried out some different heroes and I got to say, purely from a player perspective, this is legit good. Clearly the map was long in development and Kaigar managed to add or commission polishing touches to make it...

Alexen

Map Moderator
Level 23
Checked it out. You are at the start of a dangerous road. The AoS genre is by far (in my opinion) the hardest to master and handle. Yet, for starters, you did a fine job. The loading screen is really well picked. The tooltips in the hero selection taverns are well detailed. Not only that they show what abilities each hero has but they also explain them. Good!

You are able to pick war pets. It is an interesting mechanic for an AoS. As long as they are not overpowered, it goes fine. Being able to instantly go rush and jungle is not so okay in my opinion but from what I witnessed, the hero doesnt gain that much. The heroes design turned out nicely. They seem to have fine synergy between their spells which is very good in an AoS.

Towers seem to scale in damage and durability based on the amount of creep and hero statuses regarding their damage and armor. Creeps waves can be enhanced with additional types of creeps. It seems that you focused on the pushing aspect as well. Neutral Creeps drop valuable stuff that can help you out a lot. I like how you designed various mechanics that make this AoS be different from so many.

The terrain seems to be sort of simplistic, yet it is designed okay considering the two lanes having a moderate length as well as the nearby surrounding areas of the neutral creep camps. The 4 bosses located each at a corner of the map are a cool feature. They are placed well and the stuff they give after killing them is very useful in order to achieve victory or gain an upper advantage if your team gets stuck behind, especially since your team also gains an additional creep related to it which heavily hastens your team's pushing.

Overall, what you've done for the primary versions of this AoS is really good and I see a lot of potential in you and in the AoS as well. As a personal suggestion, do not give up at some point if you struggle with it.

This one goes as
approved and with a maximum rating! Is rarely that I give a maximum rating to an AoS from the very first try. 5/5 !

Last edited:
Well, I played a few games now, tried out some different heroes and I got to say, purely from a player perspective, this is legit good.

Clearly the map was long in development and Kaigar managed to add or commission polishing touches to make it really presentable. Mythic's legendary FX are all over the map, making it (literally) shine. Terrain and overall aesthetic looks nice, might need a small edit here and there, but it's in a good state now, totally not your run of the will default terrain.

Gameplay is not overly complex compared to DotA or LoL, as I feared (since I'm not familiar with AoS). You really do concentrate on your hero and use additional mechanics (pets, improving AI army, getting strategic points) when needed.

Of course hero balance is not perfect yet. There are quite a lot of them after all and the map is so new that only testing and feedback will fix it. But with the growing community on their Discord balancing and patches are actually happening, stuff gets reworked and for now the map seem quite alive (seeing how much work Kaigar put into it, it definitely will be so for long).

Cheers mate, I'm happy that in my time off the project I can actually play Reforged games and not something else.

Level 13
A really nice spin on the AoS genre, and the commitment to HD assets makes it look like a much more modern map.
I have some reservations about the items though - many are direct upgrades of other items, and really massively increase the hero's power. Perhaps that's okay though, as it does speed up the game.

I like the idea of beating bosses to unlock extra wave creeps and get more neutral items.

Overall, a great game.

Mr.Goblin

Art & Graphics Design Moderator
Level 53
Short review:
Very fun spin on AOS with great characters that feals unique and variated. I really like the multiple ways one can win the game. Really liked every single games I've played. The crafting is simple to understand, the pets are a nice addition. the unit improvements a great adition too! + the creator is super nice and passionnated to keep this map alive and well!

5 stars, well deserved!

Is there no way of playing this on SD? i have like 5 fps or something on HD its unplayable for me :(
Not lag due to US to EU servers, actually 5fps? That's almost impressive, sorry to hear that.
I'm pretty sure too much work was put into HD assets for it to be SD any time soon, so that's a no for now.

I got some 4-5yo iron, and game runs at 130-143fps at 1440p, but with medium shadows and foliage.

Level 3
Not lag due to US to EU servers, actually 5fps? That's almost impressive, sorry to hear that.
I'm pretty sure too much work was put into HD assets for it to be SD any time soon, so that's a no for now.

I got some 4-5yo iron, and game runs at 130-143fps at 1440p, but with medium shadows and foliage.
not literally 5 fps, idk how much exactly but enough to cause my cursor to lag, it takes about 1-2 seconds to move my cursor from 1 place to another. i play other games like dota 2 and i dont have anything near this amount of lag there.

Level 14
I encourage you to post major changes here outside of the discord server - not everyone is using that software.

Review: 4/5

• Graphics: Awesome!
  • Heroes: Interesting and fresh but nothing too original, some are a bit clunky and could use a bit of reworking, but overall still fun.
  • Items: Super easy to understand and very clean interface for builds, but seem a bit heavy on attack-based items.
  • AoS: Original enough, but maybe towers need to give more gold. Seems like jungle camps give a lot.
  • Death-timers: A bit too long. It's nice to see a player get knocked out for a while when you kill them, but sitting in front of a screen for 50s+ with nothing to do is never fun.

Also, I really like that it's 2 lanes instead of 3 and the 4 bosses in the corners, definitely something fresh to add to the MobA genre!

Last edited:
Level 4
I'm not a fan of DOTA/AOS and my only experience is based on LoL, so I don't have much to say about this project

The only thing I would mark is working on visibility (Because of reforged graphics) to heroes and units stand out of the terrain, either by using custom models or detailing the environment in a way everything is recognizable, like TF2 character design

I know it's nut job to do custom models for a roost of 50+ heroes, and i'm not saying that, but following the concept and ideas can save a lot of work in the long run by having a straight line of work and not just correcting mistakes on the run. I speak out of experience on this topic having spent months getting the right atmosphere/art-style on my map

Kaigar

Hosted Project: FC
Level 6
What all metrics are you gathering data on for balancing purposes?
The heroes are all balanced following the same general rules, and I tried to always keep in mind the good and bad design choices made in other games of the same genre while designing my own heroes. Regarding the balancing patches that I do, they are mostly based on testing and player feedback. When the game will have a larger volume of games played and a more established "meta", I will consider win percentage into the equation.

Level 11
Yeah, looking at the itemization it doesn't look too hard to balance. I like some of the effects, but was hoping for a little extra pizazz.

Does the "25% chance on attacks to heroes to heal for 25% damage done" item heal from other onhit effects?

Kaigar

Hosted Project: FC
Level 6
Yeah, looking at the itemization it doesn't look too hard to balance. I like some of the effects, but was hoping for a little extra pizazz.

Does the "25% chance on attacks to heroes to heal for 25% damage done" item heal from other onhit effects?
It depends, it heals from Spirit Ranger's Magic Arrows and even from Spellbreaker's Bouncing Glaive, but for example, it doesn't heal from Axe of the Berserker, Plains Impaler's Multishot or Crescent Halberd procs.

If you want to know more about the game, or if you want to ask more questions, join the discord server of the map; even if I'm not online, some other members of the community might answer your questions.