1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Freedom

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by Hakeem, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well if someone overpowers you and ties you up, you aren't free to move are you?

2. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    free, or "freedom" is just a word. it really doesnt have much meaning as a word itself and you could define it as many things, but true freedom is a state of mind. it doesnt matter where you are or what you are doing, if oyu truly belive you are free, then no one can take that form you. that is the art of it, your mind can always be free, no one can take it from you. not unless you let them.

3. Mor)L(unE

Mor)L(unE

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Your totally right there

4. DaedraEater

DaedraEater

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, he is... now I must say that freedom is also (possibly) your availability of choices, or what you can decide (Something like that... just a thought that came to me).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  5. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you are forced to face the consequences, wouldn't that be against your will, and therefore not be completely free?
    +
    Am I to assume that you can turn your senses off? ;)

6. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    According to dictionary.com, the definition of freedom (the one I see most fitting for the context of this discussion) is
    If you take this definition as the most valid one pertaining to this debate, we are always free. Just free to do a limited amount of things.

The same can be said about this definition
    Even if you only have one option, it's still an option.

Another definition, though, is as follows
    In which case, we are never free. All our actions are in response to external events, which boils down to us always being controlled by our environments.

Except for the last example, freedom isn't black and white, but a shade of gray.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. The more ignorant you are, the more free you are (mentally, at least).

7. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ofc, cant u????

8. Mor)L(unE

Mor)L(unE

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    People can't turn their senses of, but if they feel free then they are free, and there are ways to create this feeling.

9. Kjiverx

Kjiverx

Resources:
    Resources:
    freedom is not the ability to do something, it is the ability to try. if you are in jail, you can try to escape, either physically (escaping), or mentally (self-hypnosis). if you are tied up, you can try to escape. you may not succeed, but you have the chance and the choice. you can always choose to try or not to try. success is the universes problem. your decision is whether or not to try, and no one can take that away from you while you are alive. death would be a whole 'nother thread.

10. Aschy

Aschy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lights out
    guerilla Radio
    Turn that shit up

11. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    IIRC, necroposting is frowned upon? Especially with such a useless comment.

12. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am free to do whatever I want as long as I follow this list of a couple thousand rules. That's America for you.

Necropost = win.

13. Japut3h

Japut3h

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well as a bunch of people here said already,freedom is the right to do whatever you want,to be allowed to say what you want without fearing the consequences,to be able to make your own choices,to answer only to yourself.Most of the people that do these things are the ones feeling at least a bit "free".

However,no one can be allowed complete freedom to do whatever he wants,because then there is the risk that he would endanger the other human beings around him.Complete freedom,thats something you can only get on a deserted island.

We are not free,metaphorically or literally.If our countries went to a large war,most of us would be forced into war,even if we don't want to,to fight and die for false ideals and other crap.

The only freedom we can have is the freedom of thought,although the dumb propaganda has brainwashed millions of people and took that only freedom away.They don't have their own thoughts or opinions,they are just obeying what they are told to think.

14. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now that this thread is back, i'll give my opinion: I am of the belief that individual freedom comes before everything else in life, because if you are not free to live your life the way you see fit, then what is the point of living? I'm a quasi-libertarian-individualist. I'm not an egotist though, so don't call me selfish.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  15. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I can't live as long as you're alive. Can I kill you now?
    See, that's probably what this topic is about: where do you draw the borders of freedom? Many probably say your freedom stops where others freedom begins, but what if I indeed wish to live my life in the way I see fit, causing others to have no freedom? With different cultures and ideals, apparently lately it's been proven impossible to live your life like you want to live your life without sacrificing other peoples freedom.

16. Shados

Shados

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    While necroposting in MT does not matter as much as it does in OT, you have not followed the rules for acceptable necroposting. Fuck up in here much more and you're out - and the same goes for anyone.

17. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Freedom on your part equals slavery on another's.

And there is no point to life. You have to make your own. You're the mapmaker, make your own damn objectives.

18. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Better than slavery to everyone else on behalf of the government.

19. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Political perfection is everyone having a mutual understanding of one another. Governments are simply formed to enhance that mutual understanding. Like a messenger between two people. The problem is, that messenger is a person as well, and a person in a position with a lot of power at that. So the problem lies between people having mutual understanding with each other and people having mutual understanding with the government. Though this may seem like it just adds more problems, at least then disagreements will have a solution, whether that solution is right or not.

20. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    The problem with freedom is that if one person has the freedom to do something, doesn't another person have the freedom to not experience that thing? A quote from A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is that "there's freedom to and freedom from." Freedom to impedes freedom from, and vice versa.
    There can be no such thing as complete freedom for everyone, because your complete freedom hampers someone else's. Laws are established and needed because humans are incapable of balancing their own freedoms with those of another; as children they have not learned the control, as adults many still choose not to exert that control.