1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Forgotten War COOP Campaign for 2 players version 1.1

Submitted by ForestDefender, Matt V.
This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
Link to the original singleplayer version- Forgotten War ver 2.008
Converted by me, Matt V. The original SP campaign was made by ForestDefender and uploaded by Tuzec.
This campaign is for 2 players! sorry about the wrong number shown.

EDIT 18.10.2019- This is the newest version released(1.1). Feel free to let me know about any present bugs/issues, but there shouldn't be too many of the issues anymore. However, I haven't fixed ALL of the bugs I've known about, so I might release a newer version in the future.

So, here it is. My first project.

PLEASE NOTE: I haven't changed too much stuff in this campaign, other than adding a new player, adjusting the terrain(filling empty places with trees/creeps, removing a few cinematics/shortened them/adjusted them to look better), making some models appear smaller(a castle as huge as the screen was NOT okay) and a few necessary tweaks in the triggers.

Known issues, bugs READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING A REVIEW
-Some cinematics might be way too long, with grammar mistakes and not fused
-Some camera angles are done unnaturally
-After a cinematic is finished, in certain levels another pops up once you or your friend select a unit.. I don't know how else should I do that- open for any ideas)
-Ancestral Architect doesn't heal from fountains, but instead heals from being burrowed. I 'might' keep this thing in the game though.
-No save/load mechanic(I am not really thinking about updating it there since you both get various heroes pretty often(except for first 2 levels, but you will be granted items anyway), but I might reconsider in the future.
-As well as no shared upgrades(intentionally, since you get lots of gold anyway) again, might reconsider with further testing
-Some models appear to be way too big on certain maps
-Difficulty might be a bit unbalanced- some levels might be way too easy, some way too hard (even though I have done a lot of testing..)
-I know about the separated cinematics in prologue and in the missions, will take a look at it in later versions.

Features:
-9 COOP missions and 6 cinematics(including Credits)
-Custom made models and very altered naga race
-Variety of map types, from base-building to RPG-style, as well as variety of the landscape
-Unique mechanic- Sunlight Curse
-Unique heroes in most of the missions(except for the first few levels) with special abilities
-Unique units with special abilities
-Unique gameplay
-Rewards for completing quests in most missions
-Constant update and review checking for newer versions
-Skippable cinematics

Features I am about to add/edit:
-Rebalance difficulty after reading your reviews
-Adjust terrain further
-Fuse the cinematics together

Also, it was @FeelsGoodMan and @Daffa the Mage who helped me do this perfectly. I thank them for that!

Version 1.1 changes:
Prologues: Unchanged for now, sorry!
Level 1: Added extra route to get to the end of the level, more gold, adjusted terrain(deleted objects that were blocking the path), made triggers act smoother
Level 2: Adjusted the terrain(no more big mountains, better pathfinding and objectives(units should no longer run far away from the village)
Level 3: P2 no longer loses units after the ritual, AI should behave better, Lizard Shed available for both players now, Red Ventar as well
Level 4: Reduced amount of ambushing units, added a new side quest, smoother triggers, City of Eternal Fire now available for both players,deleted/replaced a few turrets, added an easter egg
Level 5: Quests adjusted to work better, the level is actually completable now(script issues)
Level 6: Quest with Darksun now works properly, removed a few dragons, the level works as intended now(Side quests are actually rewarding)
Level 7: Adjusted quests, Larodar now attacks properly(as well as Demon legions)
Level 8: Quest tweaks, the ship is now obtainable, trolls work as intended
Level 9: More resources, more comfortable Deathwing gameplay
Epilogue and Credits unchanged for now.

Feel free to add a review/commentary of any sort(if you want to inform me of a certain bug or issue, please make sure it's not listed in Known bugs and issues shown here. Thank you!
Contents

Forgotten War0 1st part of Prologue (Map)

Forgotten War0 2nd part of Prologue (Map)

Forgotten War0 3rd part of Prologue (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 1 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 2 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 3 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 4 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 5 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 6 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 7 Interlude (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 7 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 8 (Map)

Forgotten War Mission 9 (Map)

Forgotten War- Epilogue (Map)

Forgotten War Credits cinematic (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
OK, so I don't see the reason why both players would have the exact same hero, Malkor. That's unoriginal. Makes things much easier with double Hypnotism. The Ventars can't all harvest the same mine if they belong to different players. The dragons...
  1. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nope Herogod uploaded them from wc3campaigns and gave me author credit.

I just bundled all the 70-80 loose maps into campaigns up on wc3campaigns.com in late 2004 and he threw a fit in what 2016ish but i didnt edit the maps.

Ironically being loose maps. That campaign would of been lost entirely from existence decades ago.

Me not being herogod disallowed me from deleting the Mathias Chronicles from Hive when Potatoe started foaming at the mouth

Go 15 year old me!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Anaxie hey, hey, calm down. (side note: calling more than 5 users in one post with the @ function won't notify any of them)

(There's a huge trend of edits and reboots nowadays with everything) Many maps are "updated" by others because the original authors ceased to do anything more for them. Some say they are making the maps work on latest patches, others that they put new stuff in, so on. Problem is, that many do this sort of stuff for the same maps. That's when we reviewers have to bust our brains out.

As @tulee wrote, it will be taken down if the author demands it. Until then, it might be approved if deemed good enough or thrown into Substandard.

Exactly. There was a brief quarrel when the original author came and started barking that it was his work and not he uploader's. Still, we have to thank the uploader for bringing the stuff in but that is entirely a different situation. One thing is to upload something and another is to also edit it.

3. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, true. Though I was more focusing on if the author is not around, then the correct approach is not so clear.

4. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hive rules and technicalities aside

Approach seems clear to me.

Its Not reccommended and frowned upon to redistribute edited versions of other people original work.

Especially when you are deleteing cutscenes, editing terrain, changing balance, adding iteme and "easter eggs", additional encounters according to the description he wrote.

And all without permission

There are several grey areas like.
    Fixing a broken campaign like natures Call 2 that wont load.

This isnt a grey area imo. He should make and create his own original concept ane campaign.

5. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Regarding this:
    Just fyi, if anyone was to make anything Arkain related, it is me only.
    I would be very unhappy to see anyone upload edits of my work without my permission.

6. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Glad to have your input old timer

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sadly we all become legends one day and things like these are bound to happen regardless.

8. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Its not like Forgotten war is Missing or not working.

Right here on hive the original version and works as good as it did in 2005.

Thats really the point isnt it?

Editing something because you feel like you have the right is not the same as preserving its continued existence and availability.

I sets a bad precedent to shrug it off because the creator isnt around. Then everyone will just go hog wild on other peoples property

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @deepstrasz:
    I stated several times that I do not tolerate that happening with my project.
    That counts now, that will count when I am long gone from this website.
    Nothing to discuss.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    SoA - Coming of the Horde V2.0
    Was it needed?
    Let's hope you will still be right.

11. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have Deicides permission and Deicide GAVE me the SoA2 campaign part 2 beta he never uploaded or finished to upload for people to play.

Deicide found and messaged me because he enjoyed my youtube videos of his campaign.
    Was it needed maybe but i didnt have time to finish or work on it so told mods to leave it in sub.

Difference is i had creators permission.
    this guy does not.

2- Winds of the Storm

But it being archived if say hiveworkshop goes goodbye to appear as it was originally made by you on a new main wc3 site would be an exception? All credits given to creator also obviously

12. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I will always be.

If the Hive was indeed down, I was gone and the campaigns were otherwise untouched, yes. That is, for me, absolutely legit.
    I have also allowed people to translate my project in other languages IF they ask me first and give proper credit.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What/who gives anyone permission to edit BlizzEnt campaigns/maps?

14. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The companys ToS with the world editor gives them permission.

I dont believe whatboutism is a good argument anyway.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Judging by that we can more than extrapolate that the EULA makes everything in the WE ActiBlizz's therefore communistically everyone's.

16. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Blizzard tried that with Dota 2

Doesnt work that way

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's different. I'm specifically referring to things that are still in Warcraft III format.

18. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No need to discuss corporate whatboutism

Shar thinks its shitty practice
    I think its shitty practice
    And im sure a vast majority of content creators across all different types of games and players would also find it shitty practice.

To edit and distribute other peoples work without permission let alone knowledge is not a topic for debate.

Entertaining the idea with devils advocate sets a bad tone.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You'd be surprised how well received this stuff is. Take a look at the dozens we already have since the 2p campaigns.

20. Matt V.

Matt V.

Resources:
    Resources:

If this is such a "shitty practice" then tell the mods, they will know what to do. I have already said this once, or twice. It's all up to mods or ForestDefender to decide what will happen with this.. project.
    Also up to people who actually give this a try and tell me what's wrong with it.

That's not what I mean by someone(don't take this personally) who hasn't even tried it, yet tells me how wrong and bad and shitty practice it is.