• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Footprint of the Ancestors

Reactions: deepstrasz
Name: Footprint of the Ancestors
Players: 2
Playable size: 112 x 112
Tileset: Lordaeron Winter
So here's a map that I started making a few weeks ago but never got to finish until now. You will find that it is axisymmetrical and that the axis is in fact not tilted by 45 degrees but by 60 degrees. This took a little more brains when designing the map but it allowed for more funny stuff in the corners.

While the coast of this island is snow-covered, its middle is green and consists mostly of a lake. In the bottom right corner is a fountain of mana (supposedly providing the lake with water) with a red creep camp. I realize that fountains are highly debatable, and I'm prepared to replace that fountain with a simple doodad if it's affecting the gameplay too heavily. I'm also aware that the fountain is closer to the right, but that shouldn't matter much, as the entrance is still in the center and flying units won't profit here.

There are currently quite a lot of green and yellow camps - too many perhaps. I'm considering to kill two or four of them. Please provide some input on that.

The tree lines at the bases might not be identical, I'm still kind of working on that.

The merc camp is a Lordaeron Summer camp for balance reasons.

The terrain is not completely finished since I'd like to build more random islands around the main island (water alone looks boring). A few can already be seen. Also, another doodad here or there wouldn't hurt. It won't affect the gameplay though.

Regarding the name: It was only at the end that I noticed the foot shape of the central lake. Since I couldn't for the life of me find a good name I just went with what I had and called it Footprint of the Ancestors. Do you think that "Ancestors' Footprint" would be better? Or perhaps something completely different?

Enjoy!

=== CHANGELOG ===

v02:
- added critters (d'uh)
Contents

Footprint of the Ancestors v02 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Many green camps near each other for Blademasters. Not sure about the symmetry of the south towards player locations. Approved. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange! R U L E S Site Rules Map Submission...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Many green camps near each other for Blademasters.
Not sure about the symmetry of the south towards player locations.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/