• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Food Zero 1.0 BETA

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Hi all!
This is the first map i have ever posted on the net:D
Plz post all bugs you finde! I found some my self that im going to work on when some others have tested the map.
The basics of this map are very simple:D
You make a army and send out in the water (in your base) that will teleport it to the battlefield!
No food cost on units makes it very easy to make a giant army!
This map can not be won... soo at some time you have to leave:D
Hope you enjoy it:D
Atomboy

Keywords:
Melee,battlefield,forest,war,army,normal
Contents

Food Zero 1.0 BETA (Map)

Reviews
14:37, 23rd Jun 2009 Rui: I can assume this is not a melee map, simply by looking at the name. Also, quantity does not equal quality, and from the minimap I can conclude you do not agree. [highlight]Rejected[/code] and Melee type removed.

M

14:37, 23rd Jun 2009
Rui:
I can assume this is not a melee map, simply by looking at the name. Also, quantity does not equal quality, and from the minimap I can conclude you do not agree. [highlight]Rejected[/code] and Melee type removed.

Level 28
Atomboy said:
Lolz? you only posted one map your self?
Come on dude i just started posting.
I have more and better maps coming..
Don't get too cocky, this map is certainly nothing to be proud of.
Just_Spectating is a good member and is probably a better mapper than you.
The amount of maps posted doesn't say anything, I am too lazy to finish maps, therefore I don't post a lot of good maps (I've only posted maps of about 2 years old...).

I'm sorry, but I think you should try to improve before posting maps here.

First of all: it isn't really a good idea, by which I mean that there is nothing to really base the

Triggers

Then the triggers: you have inefficient triggers with leaks, I will explain how to improve your triggers, so they don't create leaks and are easier to rewrite and look better.

You have created 2 triggers for setting the gold and lumber to the players, which is double the amount you need ^^
Here is the trigger, more info is added below.
  • Recources
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 4, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Set (Player((Integer A))) Current lumber to 1000
          • Player - Set (Player((Integer A))) Current gold to 1000
In the events, I have added "Map init", because otherwise you can't do anything the first 2 seconds of the game (yes, it does matter).

The loop is pretty easy to understand:
I've increased the integer "Integer A" by 1 for 4 times, every time it is increased, it will run the actions below it.
So it will run 4 times and it adds 1000 gold and lumber to the player with the number of the Integer A.

That's really everything there is to it...

This is an example of a more efficient trigger, try making all your triggers as efficient as possible.
The next note are the leaks: although this will not matter anyway in this small map, you always need to remove the leaks (so it becomes a habit, that's actually the best).

This trigger creates a leak:
  • Enter 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters 1 Out Spawn <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Move (Entering unit) instantly to (Center of 1 Spawn <gen>)
It will remember the position "Center of 1 Spawn" and store that in it's memory, even though it won't be used again.
If the amount of data like this piles up, it will create lag (which you always need to avoid).
If it becomes too high, the game will instantly crash.

This is how you solve it:
  • Enter 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters 1 Out Spawn <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set TempLoc = (Center of 1 Spawn <gen>)
      • Unit - Move (Entering unit) instantly to TempLoc
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempLoc)
That isn't hard, is it?
We've just added 2 actions, 1 that stores the point to a variable and 1 that removes the data.
To add variables, simple press Ctrl + B, or press the yellow X in the trigger editor.

"TempLoc" is a point variable without array.
Terrain

Try improving the terrain (a lot), use more height variation, add enviroment doodads (bushes, rocks, vines, flowers, logs, ...).
You also need to variate the types of trees, using only 1 tree looks too 'forced'.

The tilesets you have picked are very straight-forward and doesn't look good at all, try varying a lot more between different types of grass, add a few rock tiles, use all tiles you can!

Don't use cliffs too much, it look like a box right now.
I hope you have read this information, since it might help you out and make you a better mapper.

One last piece of advise:

Finish the details!
Add a good description (both on the hive as in-game), polish your language, improve the tooltips, make sure all hotkeys are working, ...
Details might look small, but are very important for the player.

Rating

1/5
Rejected

This is obvious, the suality of this map is way too low.

Level 31
1) Description - First of all, the description was way unorganize and unprofessional. It encourage user not to download this map at all. You should have said what makes this map interesting, the background of the map, provide a screenshot and so on instead of saying it was your first map and there is no way to win.

Avoid making your entire content in 1 single paragraph. Separate it to make it much organize and convenience for user to view and read.

2) Terrain - For such a generic map, it was really poorly develop. It lack of tiles variation, height adjustment and destructible/doodad usage. The forest does not contain a single destructible/doodad apart from the ashenvale tree, add variety of destructible/doodad such as ap0calypse have mention.

3) Scripting/Triggering - The scripting/triggering was way too ineffective and contain memory leak. Infact, it isn't necessary to create a trigger to transport unit to xxx region at all.

The gold/lumber can be set it in 2 way.

• Money
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Player = (All players)
      • Player Group - Pick every player in Player and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Set (Picked player) Current gold to 1000
          • Player - Set (Picked player) Current lumber to 1000
      • Custom script: Custom script: call DestroyForce(udg_Player)
  • Money
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Do Multiple ActionsFor each (Integer Integer) from 1 to 4, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Set (Player(Integer)) Current gold to 1000
          • Player - Set (Player(Integer)) Current lumber to 1000
To transport unit from xx position to xxx position, just create the region and make a way gate for it. There isn't any necessary to create trigger for it.

Melee map does not contain any custom resources, object editing or trigger.

Overall, 1/5 (Unacceptable). Please read more tutorial, view more blizzard melee map and visit the terrain board to know more about making a melee map technique.

Lolz? you only posted one map your self?
Come on dude i just started posting.
I have more and better maps coming..

Completing a map is a accomplishment, but it was nothing to be proud about. It was the quality that count.
Do you know why some people only have 1-2 map only? That was because they focus at the quality and not at the quantity. Sometimes it took 2 years just to make 1 awesome quality map.