1. The contestants were to create water structures for the 20th Terraining Contest. Choose one in the public poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[Defense / Survival] Flickering light - Horror Survival

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Mr.Goblin, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Maxwell

Maxwell

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Subscrube.
    So hyped to try it.

2. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    -=UPDATE=-
    -The terrain is almost complete for the first playable, we are currently bumping into things to test out the Pathing blockers while also doing some minor tweaks here and there to up the aesthetic.

-We are also currently implementing sound effects to build up the atmosphere of the terrain as well.

-New textures for units are on the way. On the list: The Felguard, Faceless ones, Coalt, Akama, Drainai Mage, Drainai Fighter.

-The first two acts for the first playable has been designed but they have yet to be balanced and tested.

-General Frank is working on a barricade model, MiniMage is working on a brand new updated Soldier model and Frotty is currently working on a torch attachement to replace the current model.

unknown.png
    -======-

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    -=UPDATE=-
    -The terrain is now pathing ready. :) cheers!

-Sounds are still being implemented into the gameplay. But an incredible soundtrack was added to the mix, which makes us really happy.

-New textures for units are still being made and on the way. Stay toon for updates!

-@Killcide is doing some great improvement on the coding of the spells, he'll post an update once he'S ready, stay tune!

-The whole UI has been redone... why?: people on discord kept referring to the game as a Darksoul-esque game. Which made Mr.Goblin very unhappy with the feedbacks. (;D) So to respect and to showcase the new brand he's building proprely, here's now the new UI.
    (Which is far more inspired by the timeframe of World War 1. in terms of visuals.
    the command button's visuals were inspired by old army tags as seen on crates, and the skill icons are World War 1 propaganda poster inspired, and the minimap is inspired by industrial revolution maps... cool uh?... yeah that may raise a few eyebrows ;) )

testui.png

-======-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice map's looking good

5. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    O:

That's some great UI. Love it! So dark souls-esque! =P
    Jokes aside, it's awesome.

I just thought of one thing: the icons have very small indicators of their hotkeys on them (not a problem yet because we can read them comfortably now), however in Reforged icons will be sized down even more.

Anyway not something to worry about.

Keep rockin

6. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I felt the same way when Mr.Goblin first sent me the WIPs of the icons, but they definitely appear larger ingame than the screenshot.

7. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    UPDATE

• The UI has been completely re-done by @Mr.Goblin to better reflect the universe we are trying to build. We got a lot of feedback from users that the old UI reminded them of Dark Souls, which is definitely not what we intend :p

UIUpdate_FL.png

• Along with the UI, Mr.Goblin and I sat down and reworked the icon styles to be more fitting to our universe. For the command icons like Move, Stop, and Patrol, we went with a more simple look. For the ability icons, we thought it would be attractive to have the icons look like propaganda posters (propaganda posters are key elements for our universe).

IconUpdate_FL.png

We also decided to add indicators on the ability icons so that players can easily distinguish what kind of ability it is. For example:
      • Red for damage dealing
      • Yellow for utility
      • "Hotkey" indicators to tell you that the icon is an active or passive

• Just so you guys can get a feel of the ingame environment, here is a quick walkthrough through one of the village areas!

From the video, you can also see that we have a custom cursor :D Also note that the video is in 420p, so I apologize for the low quality.

Right now, Mr.Goblin and I are working on brainstorming icons for the middle panel like the primary stat. This is what we have so far:

UnitInfoPanelWIP_FL.png

Afterwards, the attack-types and defense-types will be next.

The content you see here are just WIPs. As always, please provide feedback and give us suggestions!

8. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the walkthrough looks great. The only thing that looked a little off was the lightning. Since lighting effects are so important to the environment, you might want to change that to something a little more realistic. I saw a tutorial awhile ago that i think you could expand on to make it really awesome. If the lightning has a quicker flash it could make it more terrifying when you catch a glimpse of something in the distance.

Here is the tutorial I saw. Let me be clear though, I dont think it looks bad. I just think it can be more realistic since you've gone to so much trouble to make everything else feel so real.

Looks awesome keep up the good work

9. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ahh yes I saw that tutorial. Unfortunately the lighting is more than just a visual; it has a very important gameplay aspect, so we need it to be more functional than visual. I attempted the tutorial waay back when, and I wasnt happy with the results due to the functionality we need it to fulfill. Youre right though; Im also not that satisfied with how it is currently.

10. ZethHolyblade

ZethHolyblade

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Why are there electrical cables and an extension box at the left side of the UI? I thought it was a medieval setting :p

11. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    it's not, the current model we are using is outdated. Minimage is currently working on a new version. I'm develloping a universe inspired by World war 1aesthetic and technology

12. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    By model, Mr.Gobo is referring to the Hero :p as he mentioned, that model is suuuper outdated. The universe we're trying to convey is like WW1 with plate armor and melee combat, so thats why there are some "modern" elements like cables and power boxes.

13. ZethHolyblade

ZethHolyblade

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oohhhhhh it's a WW1 setting... Damn I totally thought it was medieval setting based on the hero's model and the dark fantasy enviroments. I get it now :D

14. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sad I'm a very paranoid person when it comes to horror, still watching how this grows.

15. Masky

Masky

Resources:
    Resources:
    im so hyped with this, its the kind of project that i want to make since im playing with the world editor, its like a dream D: and you're making a very good job!

16. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks everyone!

The projet is somewhat on hold and will be for the next 1-2 weeks. I've been dealing with health issues and Killcide is in midterms. :) so we both not very often at the computer these days. But don't worry, we are still very very hyped to start working on the project again! :D cheers!

17. ZethHolyblade

ZethHolyblade

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Take the time you need to feel better. The product will surely be awesome regardless :D

18. Masky

Masky

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hope you feel better soon! you rock and your work to! >:0

19. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    -=UPDATE=-

Tiny update, we started working back on the project slowly but surelly. Minor edits are being made here and there.
    - I've mostly been updating some regions of the terrain.
    - Killcide is still working on the soldier's spells. During Spring break he hopes to push forward the skills significantly.
    -Mini map was edited to fit the terrain's edit.
    -A tutorial wave was coded to hopefully teach the basic of how enemies and barricades works.
    -I started building the first act and only act that will be part of the first playable.= The Undying
    -Pre balancing was also made for this said act.

cheers!

20. Masky

Masky

Resources:
    Resources:
    NIIIICE! Thanks for the update buddy!