1. The poll for our 11th Music Contest is up! Help us choose the most awesome cinematic tracks by casting a vote!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll is up! Vote for the best 4v4 melee maps!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice

[Defense / Survival] Flickering light - Horror Survival

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Mr.Goblin, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Neruvatar

Neruvatar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, how did you make them glow?

2. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    With a special Glow model added on as a Aura's Attachement :) + some minor photoshop tweaking to make it look more kickass, since these models aren't ment to be seen from up close.

=================================
    -=UPDATE=-
    We are working really hard to reach a First playable as soon as possible. As of late, without considering the Icons I've made. I did 64 textures for this project. This includes: Custom User interface, Units, Doodads, Custom Tilesets... yeah you read that right.

.....get hyped.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    This should get a DC rating right now, even before release it, it's a hell of a project! ♥_____♥

4. lord_Turin

lord_Turin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    nice guys,
    excited to play this!

5. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  6. Lake

Lake

Resources:
    Resources:
    Man, this artwork! Really love your style :) Looking forward to see how this play in the actual map!

7. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    THE FLICKERING LIGHT TEAM IS LOOKING FOR AN FX ARTIST.
    To create:
    - Fire FX (with birth, Iddle and death animations)
    - A Torch
    attachment
    - A Bonfire model (with birth, Iddle and death animation)
    - A Brazier model (with birth, Iddle and death animation)

Since Fire and light are the gameplay, we need proper looking fire.
    P.M if you want to help us out. I will trade your time with mine. So if you want a custom texture/icons/hiveworkshop avatar, we'll make a deal!

----------
    -=UPDATE=-
    FRONT POST EDITED

CHEERS!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  8. ZethHolyblade

ZethHolyblade

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Whenever you release this, consider marketing promoting it as competition for Diablo Immortal :D

9. Gyrosphinx

Gyrosphinx

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  10. Atakan Özel

Atakan Özel

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is like a child of Path of Exile and Warcraft 3.

11. Machico

Machico

Resources:
    Resources:
    The atmosphere at first glance looks like something very polished and I love that.
    can you give us more details about the combat system against the monsters?
    Keep going, this has a lot of potential.

12. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    LOL yeassh I won't lie... I have been dreaming of a proper Diablo1 and 2 sequel for years!!! Diablo 3 is way to colourful and sparkly for my taste. :S This project is my personal NEED to have a dark rpg type of adventure.

Chow chow! all aboard the hype train!

Yes and no. Visually I definitely got inspired by the first few levels of Path of exile. Primarily the few caverns of the first act and the Prison break level. The rest of the game is too bright and colorful for my taste. Don't expect any rainbows in this game. I'm very much more aiming towards the Diablo 1 atmosphere and constant feeling of dread.... Your hero all alone with his light, surrounded by pitch black darkness :)

Currently we are aiming for something very MOBA centric (HOTS). So 1 hero, 20 levels. 5 possible skills to learn. You can pick only 10 updates (one every 2 levels). out of the 50 possible skills. That means you can build your hero accordingly to your gameplay. Either max out 2 skills. or max out 1 skill and spread through the rest etc.

All heroes are ment to feel different. But, We want to focus on 1 hero at a time.

Currently we have the Soldier. The melee tank type of hero. The pending on the build you choose to go the hero can be:
    -Much more damage centric
    -Much more tanky centric. (agro and crowd control)
    -Much more survival centric (movement + life regen + HP)
    -Or a blend of everything.

Once the first playable will be release, we will focus on the remaining 3 hero types that are planned.
    -A Range Group support type
    -A Range damage type.
    -A melee damage type.

So obviously we are playing around the Fantasy troops of the Warrior, the ranger, the mage (healer) and the thief. But they will all have their unique twist and flavor that will fit the universe of Flickering light. Also, note: this is not an rpg game, we are making a survival game. So no fancy inventories will be involve or quests etc. Just you, with your friend trying to survive for 1 hour the challenges. This game is built to be hard and challenging and we expect players to fail a lot and restart the game again and again until they succed. This game is ment to be the perfect LAN party experience. :)

=== UPDATES ===
    -Killcide is working around the clock to create most game mechanics. Cheers to him!
    -The Terrain of the First playable is about 95% done, we are currently in the polishing phase and fixing pathing blockers.
    -Testing will probably begging in the coming month for us, the First playable will join shortly after.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  13. ZethHolyblade

ZethHolyblade

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    This, is so true.

Diablo 3 is an unworthy sequel for 1 and 2 both visually and gameplay/story-wise.

- The character, weapons, and armor designs are way too into fantasy and impracticability unlike its predecessors which were much grounded in reality.
    - The enemies and the world they live in could be colorful and all but not at the expense of game's previously set tone and strong sense of danger.
    - Though the lore was expanded, and I enjoyed that, the constant exposition and npc chatter while playing very much diminished any sense of isolation.
    - The music? Oh man... no commentary on that.

14. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Flickering light has no music. only ambiant noise :) Also all items and skills and visuals are ment to be based on reality or at least the reality of the universe I want to present. :D so you are in good hands! all we need is more time for tweaking. Hopefully, with proper visibility once the first playable will be release we will find more man power. to push through the team's vision.

15. Atakan Özel

Atakan Özel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well i know no one cares but since you mentioned about it, i was a PoE player when it's darker than my future. Played and finished D2 when i was 9 yo, lot's of others after it. So why i'm talking about that? Because i know there is a seriously drop dead player mass all around the world just like me, can't get any content for their "dark taste" because of these flashy stuff. It's a tiny cluster but they're always searching for something like that project because it is what we are looking for really.

One may say, logically, lots of people around the world loving "shrill tones" of guitar solos, like shiny animations, but there are also people like me loving "low tones". This is a complex chemistry and we can talk about these niche stuff all day long but beside of that, hopefully the project sees the required interest. I personally recommend you to watching "True Detective - Season One" or reading Terry Pratchett's "Mort" book while working on this project. May be inspiring.

16. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    unknown.png
    unknownnnn.png
    Many new textres were made to help me decorate the terrain. Cheers :)

17. ZethHolyblade

ZethHolyblade

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Love the bloodied notes posted on the wall.
    Are those 2 separate models or a single one instead? Or perhaps it's all a custom skin you've made? :)

Also: Are you going for a Dark-Soul-esque approach as being minimalistic about the lore and letting the player imagine/figure things out? :eek:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  18. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Mr.Goblin Bonjour commander!
    I am impressed by your work. Really horror stylized.
    I also like those ghosts glowing!
    But I have one question. Why does everyone be it ghost, skeleton or whatever have blood around mouth? Do they all drink blood in your storyline?

19. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just so I can post progress stuff too :p

Since the native camera doesn't adjust based on terrain height, at some points in the map, the camera will be super zoomed into the terrain and the character won't be centered in the screen. I attempted to fix it by some spooky math, but ended up with something like this: FL_OldCameraSystem - Streamable

This is obviously not right, but after days of headbanging, I adjust my spooky math and got this: FL_NewCameraSystem - Streamable

WOOHOO! Also, don't mind the broken bridge :p Mr.Gobo has it on his to-do list to fix the pathing on that.

20. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've done a custom texture based on the Guldan's Runes model :) Cheers!

Minimalistic... I'd rather keep it a mystery and simply inform players visually what might have happen. In a few areas. Or at least after the first playable extra attentions will be taking to do so. Currently the First playable's terrain is more a mash up of many areas in one to make it look appealing for players.

Thanks mate!

Blood is a psychological trigger that says DANGER! and thus having bloodsucking eating creatures makes it very much more scarier too. But what started as a simple artistic direction, is now slowly changing, you are right. I will remove some of the blood from a few units.