• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Flickering Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The atmosphere at first glance looks like something very polished and I love that.
can you give us more details about the combat system against the monsters?
Keep going, this has a lot of potential.

Whenever you release this, consider marketing promoting it as competition for Diablo Immortal :D
LOL yeassh I won't lie... I have been dreaming of a proper Diablo1 and 2 sequel for years!!! Diablo 3 is way to colourful and sparkly for my taste. :S This project is my personal NEED to have a dark rpg type of adventure.

Chow chow! all aboard the hype train!

This is like a child of Path of Exile and Warcraft 3.
Yes and no. Visually I definitely got inspired by the first few levels of Path of exile. Primarily the few caverns of the first act and the Prison break level. The rest of the game is too bright and colorful for my taste. Don't expect any rainbows in this game. I'm very much more aiming towards the Diablo 1 atmosphere and constant feeling of dread.... Your hero all alone with his light, surrounded by pitch black darkness :)

The atmosphere at first glance looks like something very polished and I love that.
can you give us more details about the combat system against the monsters?
Keep going, this has a lot of potential.

Currently we are aiming for something very MOBA centric (HOTS). So 1 hero, 20 levels. 5 possible skills to learn. You can pick only 10 updates (one every 2 levels). out of the 50 possible skills. That means you can build your hero accordingly to your gameplay. Either max out 2 skills. or max out 1 skill and spread through the rest etc.

All heroes are ment to feel different. But, We want to focus on 1 hero at a time.

Currently we have the Soldier. The melee tank type of hero. The pending on the build you choose to go the hero can be:
-Much more damage centric
-Much more tanky centric. (agro and crowd control)
-Much more survival centric (movement + life regen + HP)
-Or a blend of everything.

Once the first playable will be release, we will focus on the remaining 3 hero types that are planned.
-A Range Group support type
-A Range damage type.
-A melee damage type.

So obviously we are playing around the Fantasy troops of the Warrior, the ranger, the mage (healer) and the thief. But they will all have their unique twist and flavor that will fit the universe of Flickering light. Also, note: this is not an rpg game, we are making a survival game. So no fancy inventories will be involve or quests etc. Just you, with your friend trying to survive for 1 hour the challenges. This game is built to be hard and challenging and we expect players to fail a lot and restart the game again and again until they succed. This game is ment to be the perfect LAN party experience. :)

=== UPDATES ===
-Killcide is working around the clock to create most game mechanics. Cheers to him!
-The Terrain of the First playable is about 95% done, we are currently in the polishing phase and fixing pathing blockers.
-Testing will probably begging in the coming month for us, the First playable will join shortly after.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Level 11
LOL yeassh I won't lie... I have been dreaming of a proper Diablo1 and 2 sequel for years!!! Diablo 3 is way to colourful and sparkly for my taste. :S This project is my personal NEED to have a dark rpg type of adventure.

This, is so true.

Diablo 3 is an unworthy sequel for 1 and 2 both visually and gameplay/story-wise.

- The character, weapons, and armor designs are way too into fantasy and impracticability unlike its predecessors which were much grounded in reality.
- The enemies and the world they live in could be colorful and all but not at the expense of game's previously set tone and strong sense of danger.
- Though the lore was expanded, and I enjoyed that, the constant exposition and npc chatter while playing very much diminished any sense of isolation.
- The music? Oh man... no commentary on that.

This, is so true.

Diablo 3 is an unworthy sequel for 1 and 2 both visually and gameplay/story-wise.

- The character, weapons, and armor designs are way too into fantasy and impracticability unlike its predecessors which were much grounded in reality.
- The enemies and the world they live in could be colorful and all but not at the expense of game's previously set tone and strong sense of danger.
- Though the lore was expanded, and I enjoyed that, the constant exposition and npc chatter while playing very much diminished any sense of isolation.
- The music? Oh man... no commentary on that.

Flickering light has no music. only ambiant noise :) Also all items and skills and visuals are ment to be based on reality or at least the reality of the universe I want to present. :D so you are in good hands! all we need is more time for tweaking. Hopefully, with proper visibility once the first playable will be release we will find more man power. to push through the team's vision.

Level 1
Well i know no one cares but since you mentioned about it, i was a PoE player when it's darker than my future. Played and finished D2 when i was 9 yo, lot's of others after it. So why i'm talking about that? Because i know there is a seriously drop dead player mass all around the world just like me, can't get any content for their "dark taste" because of these flashy stuff. It's a tiny cluster but they're always searching for something like that project because it is what we are looking for really.

One may say, logically, lots of people around the world loving "shrill tones" of guitar solos, like shiny animations, but there are also people like me loving "low tones". This is a complex chemistry and we can talk about these niche stuff all day long but beside of that, hopefully the project sees the required interest. I personally recommend you to watching "True Detective - Season One" or reading Terry Pratchett's "Mort" book while working on this project. May be inspiring.

unknown.png

unknownnnn.png

Many new textres were made to help me decorate the terrain. Cheers :)

Level 11
Love the bloodied notes posted on the wall.
Are those 2 separate models or a single one instead? Or perhaps it's all a custom skin you've made? :)

Also: Are you going for a Dark-Soul-esque approach as being minimalistic about the lore and letting the player imagine/figure things out? :eek:

Last edited:
Level 37
Just so I can post progress stuff too :p

Since the native camera doesn't adjust based on terrain height, at some points in the map, the camera will be super zoomed into the terrain and the character won't be centered in the screen. I attempted to fix it by some spooky math, but ended up with something like this: FL_OldCameraSystem - Streamable

This is obviously not right, but after days of headbanging, I adjust my spooky math and got this: FL_NewCameraSystem - Streamable

WOOHOO! Also, don't mind the broken bridge :p Mr.Gobo has it on his to-do list to fix the pathing on that.

Love the bloodied notes posted on the wall.
Are those 2 separate models or a single one instead? Or perhaps it's all a custom skin you've made? :)

Also: Are you going for a Dark-Soul-esque approach as being minimalistic about the lore and letting the player imagine/figure things out? :eek:

I've done a custom texture based on the Guldan's Runes model :) Cheers!

Minimalistic... I'd rather keep it a mystery and simply inform players visually what might have happen. In a few areas. Or at least after the first playable extra attentions will be taking to do so. Currently the First playable's terrain is more a mash up of many areas in one to make it look appealing for players.

@Mr.Goblin Bonjour commander!
I am impressed by your work. Really horror stylized.
I also like those ghosts glowing!
But I have one question. Why does everyone be it ghost, skeleton or whatever have blood around mouth? Do they all drink blood in your storyline?
Thanks mate!

Blood is a psychological trigger that says DANGER! and thus having bloodsucking eating creatures makes it very much more scarier too. But what started as a simple artistic direction, is now slowly changing, you are right. I will remove some of the blood from a few units.

full

-=UPDATE=-
-The terrain is almost complete for the first playable, we are currently bumping into things to test out the Pathing blockers while also doing some minor tweaks here and there to up the aesthetic.

-We are also currently implementing sound effects to build up the atmosphere of the terrain as well.

-New textures for units are on the way. On the list: The Felguard, Faceless ones, Coalt, Akama, Drainai Mage, Drainai Fighter.

-The first two acts for the first playable has been designed but they have yet to be balanced and tested.

-General Frank is working on a barricade model, MiniMage is working on a brand new updated Soldier model and Frotty is currently working on a torch attachement to replace the current model.

unknown.png
-======-

Last edited:
full

-=UPDATE=-
-The terrain is now pathing ready. :) cheers!

-Sounds are still being implemented into the gameplay. But an incredible soundtrack was added to the mix, which makes us really happy.

-New textures for units are still being made and on the way. Stay toon for updates!

-@Killcide is doing some great improvement on the coding of the spells, he'll post an update once he'S ready, stay tune!

-The whole UI has been redone... why?: people on discord kept referring to the game as a Darksoul-esque game. Which made Mr.Goblin very unhappy with the feedbacks. (;D) So to respect and to showcase the new brand he's building proprely, here's now the new UI.
(Which is far more inspired by the timeframe of World War 1. in terms of visuals.
the command button's visuals were inspired by old army tags as seen on crates, and the skill icons are World War 1 propaganda poster inspired, and the minimap is inspired by industrial revolution maps... cool uh?... yeah that may raise a few eyebrows ;) )

testui.png

-======-

Attachments

• darksoul.png
    darksoul.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Level 28
O:

That's some great UI. Love it! So dark souls-esque! =P
Jokes aside, it's awesome.

I just thought of one thing: the icons have very small indicators of their hotkeys on them (not a problem yet because we can read them comfortably now), however in Reforged icons will be sized down even more.

Anyway not something to worry about.

Keep rockin

Level 37
full

UPDATE

• The UI has been completely re-done by @Mr.Goblin to better reflect the universe we are trying to build. We got a lot of feedback from users that the old UI reminded them of Dark Souls, which is definitely not what we intend :p

UIUpdate_FL.png

• Along with the UI, Mr.Goblin and I sat down and reworked the icon styles to be more fitting to our universe. For the command icons like Move, Stop, and Patrol, we went with a more simple look. For the ability icons, we thought it would be attractive to have the icons look like propaganda posters (propaganda posters are key elements for our universe).

IconUpdate_FL.png

We also decided to add indicators on the ability icons so that players can easily distinguish what kind of ability it is. For example:
    • Red for damage dealing
    • Yellow for utility
    • "Hotkey" indicators to tell you that the icon is an active or passive

• Just so you guys can get a feel of the ingame environment, here is a quick walkthrough through one of the village areas!

From the video, you can also see that we have a custom cursor :D Also note that the video is in 420p, so I apologize for the low quality.

Right now, Mr.Goblin and I are working on brainstorming icons for the middle panel like the primary stat. This is what we have so far:

UnitInfoPanelWIP_FL.png

Afterwards, the attack-types and defense-types will be next.

The content you see here are just WIPs. As always, please provide feedback and give us suggestions!

Level 14
I think the walkthrough looks great. The only thing that looked a little off was the lightning. Since lighting effects are so important to the environment, you might want to change that to something a little more realistic. I saw a tutorial awhile ago that i think you could expand on to make it really awesome. If the lightning has a quicker flash it could make it more terrifying when you catch a glimpse of something in the distance.

Here is the tutorial I saw. Let me be clear though, I dont think it looks bad. I just think it can be more realistic since you've gone to so much trouble to make everything else feel so real.

Looks awesome keep up the good work

Level 37
Ahh yes I saw that tutorial. Unfortunately the lighting is more than just a visual; it has a very important gameplay aspect, so we need it to be more functional than visual. I attempted the tutorial waay back when, and I wasnt happy with the results due to the functionality we need it to fulfill. Youre right though; Im also not that satisfied with how it is currently.

Why are there electrical cables and an extension box at the left side of the UI? I thought it was a medieval setting :p
it's not, the current model we are using is outdated. Minimage is currently working on a new version. I'm develloping a universe inspired by World war 1aesthetic and technology

Level 11
By model, Mr.Gobo is referring to the Hero :p as he mentioned, that model is suuuper outdated. The universe we're trying to convey is like WW1 with plate armor and melee combat, so thats why there are some "modern" elements like cables and power boxes.
Oohhhhhh it's a WW1 setting... Damn I totally thought it was medieval setting based on the hero's model and the dark fantasy enviroments. I get it now :D

Level 5
im so hyped with this, its the kind of project that i want to make since im playing with the world editor, its like a dream D: and you're making a very good job!

Thanks everyone!

The projet is somewhat on hold and will be for the next 1-2 weeks. I've been dealing with health issues and Killcide is in midterms. :) so we both not very often at the computer these days. But don't worry, we are still very very hyped to start working on the project again! :D cheers!

Level 11
Thanks everyone!

The projet is somewhat on hold and will be for the next 1-2 weeks. I've been dealing with health issues and Killcide is in midterms. :) so we both not very often at the computer these days. But don't worry, we are still very very hyped to start working on the project again! :D cheers!

Take the time you need to feel better. The product will surely be awesome regardless :D

Level 5
im so hyped with this, its the kind of project that i want to make since im playing with the world editor, its like a dream D: and you're making a very good job!
Hope you feel better soon! you rock and your work to! >:0

full

-=UPDATE=-

Tiny update, we started working back on the project slowly but surelly. Minor edits are being made here and there.
- I've mostly been updating some regions of the terrain.
- Killcide is still working on the soldier's spells. During Spring break he hopes to push forward the skills significantly.
-Mini map was edited to fit the terrain's edit.
-A tutorial wave was coded to hopefully teach the basic of how enemies and barricades works.
-I started building the first act and only act that will be part of the first playable.= The Undying
-Pre balancing was also made for this said act.

cheers!

Level 5
full

-=UPDATE=-

Tiny update, we started working back on the project slowly but surelly. Minor edits are being made here and there.
- I've mostly been updating some regions of the terrain.
- Killcide is still working on the soldier's spells. During Spring break he hopes to push forward the skills significantly.
-Mini map was edited to fit the terrain's edit.
-A tutorial wave was coded to hopefully teach the basic of how enemies and barricades works.
-I started building the first act and only act that will be part of the first playable.= The Undying
-Pre balancing was also made for this said act.

cheers!

NIIIICE! Thanks for the update buddy!

full

-=UDDATE=-
Tiny update: The project is on hold. Killcide is busy with school, he hasn't been able to work on the map due to his studies.
For me, well I destroyed my labtop and has been busy with real life stuff as well. I finally got a new labtop yesterday, I have yet to install warcraft3 and sharpcraft. but it will come soon enough.

I will start working on the map once again soon enough. Stay tune!

Last edited:
full

-=UDDATE=-
Tiny update: We are working very slowly on the project and it's been that way for many weeks sadly. But I've been busy doing side stuff that is also related to the project. Including a Keyart for the loading screen. :)

icons_template.png
More icons have also been made.

FlickeringLight_ProwlerKeyart.png
More tiny updates are coming your way. Stay tune!

Last edited:
Level 5
Really like your style! Looking forward to see a map with a coherent art design, unlike random art styles mashed together :D

Heya Mr. Goblin, I thought I'd drop a suggestion here lol. I see you have a lightning/thunderstorm effects aswell, I've been doing the same thing in my maps since my first map, but you might be interested seeing my version :D Your's is already good, but if you actually add another trigger to it, a custom script setting your dnc to very white color for like 0.05 second and then setting the dnc again to normal it will appear like a realistic lightning effect (sort of) :D

See mine below :D

• Rad Storm Loop
    • Events
      • Time - Every 5.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Play MonsoonLightningHit <gen>
      • Set Storm_Sound = (Last played sound)
      • Cinematic - Fade in over 0.05 seconds using texture White Mask and color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 90.00% transparency - Fog to make the transition smooth, yo ucan raise the X seconds higher for better transition
      • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("Environment\\DNC\\DNCDungeon\\DNCDungeonTerrain\\DNCDungeonTerrain.mdl" , "Environment\\DNC\\DNCDungeon\\DNCDungeonUnit\\DNCDungeonUnit.mdl") - This is the lightning DNC
      • Wait 0.05 seconds - Don't raise this number further, it will not longer appear like a lightning
      • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("Environment\\DNC\\DNCAshenvale\\DNCAshenvaleTerrain\\DNCAshenvaleTerrain.mdl" , "Environment\\DNC\\DNCAshenvale\\DNCAshenvaleUnit\\DNCAshenvaleUnit.mdl") - This will return the DNC to default
      • Sound - Stop Storm_Sound After fading
      • Sound - Destroy Storm_Sound

The one in the video is already outdated but it just shows how it works, I slightly dimmed the lightning dnc in the new version and has a lightning strike playing, the trigger I provided is from the updated one.

I also provide you the lightning DNC I used in my map. You can duplicate the DNC I attached below and import it as DNCUnit and DNCTerrain, this might help.

Good luck with your project. :D

Attachments

• DNCDungeonUnit.mdx
    756 bytes · Views: 112
Last edited:
full

-=UDDATE=-
We've been quiet for a few weeks, as you all know. But recently Killcide poked his nose back into the codes and is currently fixing some minor leaks and getting back into the flow. Hopefully the Soldier's spells will be soon completed and ready for testing. On that note, changes were made to the soldier's gameplay mechanics and design. The front page image will be edited soon with the new info as soon as some pre-testing were made and A new model is being made by Minimage.

on my part, most of the icons are now imported ingame and I'll be finishing all required textures for the first playable.

More tiny updates are coming your way. Stay tune!

Last edited:
full

-=UDDATE=-
Still toning some textures, and importing icons. Killcide is working on the soldier spell on a slow paste. But, progress are being made!

also....

vincent-turcot-prowler-sheet-wip4.jpg

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oO1lzw

New Key art for the Prowler :)

fl_sl_-w4.gif

I'm please to announce you, Mythic joined the team as a FX artist and helper of the project.
Minimage is almost done with the new Soldier Model. I'll hopefully start the texture this week. :)
Stay tune! We are working on this slowly but surely!

Level 14
Nice! great addition. Mythic is becoming legendary with his special effects. It looks like this awesome project is going to get even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.