• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First Released Campaign- Return of Alisia Dragoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Alisia Dragoon was one of my favorite games for the Sega Genesis. In had it memorized basically inside and out. Even to this day I still have it on emulator. I don’t know why I like it so much…I just do. I always wanted to make a AD map for WC3 but just never had the resourced, up until I finally got a copy of 3dsMax and was able to geomerge myself up a decent Alisia model.

My inspuiration finally came when I visited Jonathan Hughson’s Alisia Dragoon website here: http://www.jhughson.freeserve.co.uk/alisiadragoon/main.htm and saw that there were actually still other AD fans out there. So I went on ahead and built a map.

I tried to reflect as much of the original in this map, but still maintain the Wc3 feel (overhead 3D RTS as opposed to 2D action side-scroller. I added in the selectable pets, who largely retained their abilities, and tried to mimic the abilities as much as I could, such as the lock-on lightning. I was very happy with the end result, even though the file size was a bloated 14 megs. At the time I was not an administrator at wc3sear.ch, so I had to wait for darky to be online for it to be posted. That little step took over 8 months. Yes, I waited 8 months just to post my map. Needless to say during that time decided to work a little more on it….and my a little more I mean I decided to make an entire campaign out of it. What was once just going to be a single player map RPG turned into a 13 map campaign. I implemented every but of knowledge I had in map making into this campaign. Every trick I learned was used. Scripted boss battles, minigames, cinimatics, arrow key movement, special effects, ect. In went all out to the best that I could.

Since I couldn’t get the file hosted on Wc3sear.ch due to Darky’s inactivity, I applied for hosting at wc3campains, and I was accepted. During that time the expert modeler, Jigrael, played my campaign and apparently liked it. He offered to build be a completely new, high quality Alisia Dragoon model just out of sheer kindness. It was an offer I couldn’t refuse. He offered to build me additional models as well, but I didn’t want to take advantage of his generosity too much, and asked for only 1 additional more (Tsu’s model). The campaign used a wide variety of imported material. I used as many of the original Alisia Dragoon soundtracks from the genesis game as I could, but also used other tracks from other video games to help with quality. I later was promoted to site admin of wc3search and was able to upload the campaign there myself.

The biggest problem I faced was that There was a glitch that made it so players couldn’t access the 6th map, and at the time I found out about it, over 5000 people downloaded my map. I was very upset. I posted a fixed version, but knew that the peak of the download period had already passed. However my campaign was awarded director’s choice, so I was at least happy about that.

I recycled a few maps from my campaign and turned them into different themed stand alone maps, and vice versa, to add extra content. This campaign was one of the few times I really enjoyed writing the story. It was like creating my own sequel to a series I really liked.

You can try out my campaign here:
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Maps&ID=5332&sid=c221007c733328cb420a361164b06197

Status
Not open for further replies.