• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First custom wc3 campaign you've ever played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
What was the first custom wc3 campaign you've ever played? Mine was Wanderers of Sorceria
maxresdefault.jpg

Level 5
Mine was Joe's Quest (Joe's Quest GOLD) [Not this one, but the older version] I remember how much fun I had playing that since i beat pretty much every mission in both vanilla wc3 and tft ~50 times

WOS is pretty good, some people dislike it because its really anime-like and long -but ive enjoyed playing it in the past, and in my opinion it has quite a story

Level 12
WOS is fucking awesome and it was one of the first custom campaigns I've ever played, but I believe the very first one was called "War of Corruption," unfortunately its not on here on hive

Level 4
The first ever fan made campaign I've played was some 3 mission beta version of some campaign I long forgotten the name of. All I remember was you were given several heroes and an army of like 15 footmen and you had to destroy enemies bases. The only thing that made this campaign memorable was that you were given 3 options for the ultimate your hero gets; I remember for a wizard you had a choice between earthquake, a powerful AOE healing spell & summoning a gollem.

Level 4
Like I previously said, that ultimate system was the only noteworthy thing from that campaign, and probably the only reason I even remember playing it

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That would be @Darky29's Return of the Dragon campaign. It was the first campaign fully customized with new models, a new techtree, epic hero abilities, dungeons Rexxar-campaign-style, music, and even voices. The story was a bit meh, and the later missions were a little rushed, but the first ones were so damn fun.

Unfortunately, the campaign was made afaik in 2004. Subsequent patches broke it. Given the current state of affairs, I reckon with near absolute certainty that it's unplayable right now.

By the way, walking around with that avatar is like parading through a street displaying the Nazi flag. It's gonna get you beaten up in a dark alley.

EDIT: @Razorclaw_X's Wanderers of Sorceria was probably the second campaign I really played. The majority of the campaigns I tried after Return of the Dragon just weren't interesting at all.

Level 10
I don't remember the exact one, but one of the first that I can remember was some ROC campaign (even before TFT came out), created by NIMO (I think). Don't remember almost anything except some wolfs in the forest and some red dungeon with boss battle at the bridge or something... Also I remember the hero inventory had 6th slot reserved for books only (that was when you had to use them manually from the inventory after picking up), so they were used via trigger automatically. Can't find that campaign anywhere.

Subsequent patches broke it. Given the current state of affairs, I reckon with near absolute certainty that it's unplayable right now.
I fixed it: here. Not sure about 1.31, but it works for 1.30.

Level 20
Uh... my own. I did start making it right around when Warcraft 3 first came out, two maps at a time until TFT came out.

After that I remember playing War of Corruption (later finished after TFT released), Nature's Call: the Spider Queen, a VERY little-known one called Lament (which inadvertently lead me to Ragnarok Online because music from that was used in it), and... well, Rise of Krill (exhibit A for when your mouth exceeds your abilities).

After TFT came out it gets kind of blurry.

I have a lot of regrets about my own campaign (such as Book 3 being all around awful) and somehow it turned out okay.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Level 20
Oh I am making changes and made changes, it's just the story is something I won't touch because it would break things (largely because my biggest annoyance is one character existing at all, but the story as it stands requires that character be there).

I find many authors who get the chance to revise their old work tend not to make drastic story changes because of the whole "warts and all" perspective which I think is reasonable. You wrote something in hindsight that is kind of dumb, but you built upon it and learned from it so it's kind of hard to just sweep it under the rug.

It had its own original music?
Ragnarok Online music.

Any links to these two please?
Lament is pretty much gone unless I find the maps somewhere.

Rise of Krill I googled a fileshare site that claims to have it, but do so at your own risk (IIRC this came with some mod method that doesn't even work anymore so who knows if you could get it to work on anything but an old installation)

ED:

Sure enough I still have it (Lament, that is), along with some other stuff I kept from War3net. Go ahead and take a look at the rest of the stuff that was around pre-TFT (I think they absolutely have to be in the Maps/Scenario folder because that's what folder they were in).

http://wos.campaigncreations.org/temp/W3netMaps.zip

I only vaguely remember what Stragglers is, but I don't remember what the rest of them were, but I included them on the off-chance that someone might be interested in seeing what people did back then.

Last edited:
Level 23
I have a lot of regrets about my own campaign (such as Book 3 being all around awful) and somehow it turned out okay.
Your Wanderers of Sorceria book 3 was the first time I had exposure to that kind of an East Asian (historical?) setting, so I thought the story about General Fang/the rebellions was fantastic, and was grateful for the chance to play a Warcraft 3 campaign in that setting.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Ragnarok Online music.
Ah sorry. Reread your post. I skimmed it at first and misunderstood.
Rise of Krill I googled a fileshare site that claims to have it, but do so at your own risk (IIRC this came with some mod method that doesn't even work anymore so who knows if you could get it to work on anything but an old installation)
Yeah, found some archive on fileplanet.com but it's an .exe inside so I'm going to skip.

Thanks a lot for the archive!

Your Wanderers of Sorceria book 3 was the first time I had exposure to that kind of an East Asian (historical?) setting, so I thought the story about General Fang/the rebellions was fantastic, and was grateful for the chance to play a Warcraft 3 campaign in that setting.
You should try his Brood War Ranma+StarCraft mixed universe campaign :D It's humorous. Played it many years ago. Forgot the actual name:
Vision of the Future | Campaign Creations

Level 20
Yeah, that was one of those situations where I never considered that things I was personally interested in would have been a good idea to introduce; I just did it because I love Romance of the Three Kingdoms (a grand epic which is thought to be 70% fact and 30% fiction).

Now I'm curious. Who is it? :p
*shifty eyes*
If I had planned things more carefully I wouldn't have made this mistake, but Yue Fang is a carbon copy of Kanna. Not that she didn't develop in her own way to the point where I liked her the most, but this is still a sore spot for me.

From that point I try to make sure I absolutely no longer need a character before I remove them.

Yeah, found some archive on fileplanet.com but it's an .exe inside so I'm going to skip.
Yeah, that's exactly how you had to play it. The campaign made up its own custom units by directly editing the game files instead of using the World Editor (I don't know why). If you tried to load up its campaign maps without it you would be missing some units.

Reactions: Rui

Rui

Rui

Level 41
*shifty eyes*
If I had planned things more carefully I wouldn't have made this mistake, but Yue Fang is a carbon copy of Kanna.
Woah, I was not expecting that. I must say, Kanna could've well grown to be quite a memorable character if she encompassed both the stories of herself and Yue Fang. But maybe I'm just imagining some epic way in which she'd up end up a respected commander of the Jin Empire. How were you planning to glue that?

Level 20
Woah, I was not expecting that. I must say, Kanna could've well grown to be quite a memorable character if she encompassed both the stories of herself and Yue Fang. But maybe I'm just imagining some epic way in which she'd up end up a respected commander of the Jin Empire. How were you planning to glue that?
That would've involved removing her from the first two parts entirely, along with some other things (such as Ziel not being in the third part at all), which is why I never did it.

In any case, that's a rather huge example about the risks of re-doing your old work to make it 'better'-- sometimes that cascade effect is just too great to surmount that you change the story entirely by doing so.

Level 5
Well if you're including the Exodus Of The Horde Custom campaign, that was the first custom campaign I've played. Though it was simple and short, it was quite a fun experience altogether.

If you do not include the preinstalled custom campaign, if memory serves me right, the first one I've played is Lord Of The Clans. Undoubtedly it's a fun campaign I've played, being quite adventurous and had quite a good story telling as well. It's a fun custom campaign, and you should try it out!

Reactions: pyf
Level 8
What was the first custom wc3 campaign you've ever played? Mine was Wanderers of Sorceria
If we exclude RPGs from the campaign definition, and don't include the Rexxar campaign, then I am fairly certain that I have never played a custom campaign.

Level 9
Mine was also Wanderers of Sorceria, if my memory is accurate it was actually the 2nd book of WOS series that was my first custom non-blizzard-made campaign

Level 5
Wanderers of Sorceria was the first custom (non-Blizzard) campaign I can remember playing and actually immersing myself into, other early campaigns I've played were The forgotten War, War of Corruption, Deandria's Tale, and some others I can't remember the name of at this point.

Level 5
I know this is pretty of topic, but I liked the way you had to battle Queen Arcadia.
The build up to the fight was great, but not only that, she was no push over, when you defeat her first form you're like "Oh finally, I beat her!!!, damn" only to realize you still had to fight her second form; which is even tougher

What a great custom campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.