• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Cookies for the people who used JassNewGen and thus didn't cause my editor to whine that the map was saved by a newer WE :p

Also, this contest I took points off if the triggering was what I considered too short, since it was rather unfair for the people who did full triggers (after all, this is a spell triggering competition first and foremost).

Zack1996 - Water Orb
  • Idea: 5/5 points
    The idea was certainly original.​
  • Triggering: 7/10 points
    Locations were leaked in GatherWater, as well as locations double freed. General housekeeping (such as removing x1 and moving things out of If statements when they are in both Then and Else, and doing unnecessary functions such as setting the mana of the dummies) could have been improved. Slight overhead was added due to having a timer running even when unneeded. Dummies should always be generic if possible.​
  • Overall Aspect: 5/5 points
    The icon fit, the tooltip was amazing, and the spell would fit well into a variety of situations.​
  • Visual Effects: 4/5 points
    While the spell looked good ingame, it was slightly annoying that it gave no indication as to how much water it had stored (it did increase in size, as I saw in the code, but not enough to be seen ingame).​
  • Theme: 3/3 points
    The spell matched the theme well.​
  • Total: 24/28 points
    All in all, a fairly good spell.​

Hanky - Vast Plain
    The idea was certainly original.​
  • Triggering: 10/10 points
    Great job. There were minor optimizations that could've been done, but they weren't significant. I didn't see any leaks or anything of the like.
    A tip: You don't have to clear groups before Enum (it does it itself), and it (the enum) is apparently much faster (for whatever reason) when you don't.​
  • Overall Aspect: 4/5 points
    The icon fit, the tooltip was good (though it doesn't seem to mention the explosions throwing people back), and the spell would fit decently, but not great, in a variety of situations (it was a little too distracting).​
  • Visual Effects: 3/5 points
    The effects were decent, but the moving back down looked rather choppy, as well as something about that jump/etc seeming rather off. Additionally, units would occasionally get stuck in the air, and air units did not move in a particularly organized fasion.​
  • Total: 25/28 points
    A nice spell, but the effects could use some work.​

-BerZeKeR- - Lightning Sentry
  • Idea: 4/5 points
    The idea was fairly original, but similar spells (though not with the variation in castable ability on the ward) have been done.​
  • Triggering: 8/10 points
    It wasnn't MUI or even MPI, when one line could've made it so. Additionally, some of the object data (for example, for the death) should've been ported to triggers to reduce the amount of overall things to import.​
  • Overall Aspect: 4/5 points
    The spell would fit well in a variety of situations. The tooltip was decent, and the icon was rather bad for the spell; others (maybe Stasis Trap or Forked Lightning?) would probably have fit better.​
  • Visual Effects: 5/5 points
    The effects fit the spell well.​
    A well-rounded spell.​

Joe-black-5 - Poison Mushroom
  • Idea: 3/5 points
    The idea was... okay. It was rather like Goblin Land Mine.​
  • Triggering: 3/10 points
    The spell leaked in a situation in which leaks would have been easy to fix (you even stored the point in a variable!). Using Standard Units was rather confusing for the spell setup, and would disqualify this spell from being usable unmodified in melee-style maps. Using multiple mushroom units was unnecessary. The triggering could use work; for example, an If statement was unnecessary. The Acid Rain did not give credit for kills. Minus points for frugal triggering.​
  • Overall Aspect: 3/5 points
    The spell would not fit well in many maps, due to a number of problems with it (such as the fact that it did not give credit for Acid Rain kills). The icon was decent, and the tooltip was fine.​
  • Visual Effects: 3/5 points
    The mushroom was rather boring (it just disappeared on death), and the acid rain was not particularly evident. Especially, making it look exactly the same as tranquility was rather confusing.​
  • Total: 15/28 points
    It's a decent start, but your ideas could have been thought out and executed better.​

Razorbrain - Wormhole Ward
    The idea was decent, but not particularly interesting.​
    The triggering was fine, but I took two points off due to it being almost nonexistantly short.​
    The spell would be okay in various kinds of maps, but most likely too gameplay-disruptive. The tooltip was fine, but the icon had nothing to do with the spell, nor the model.​
    The special effects fit the spell.​
  • Total: 23/28 points
    An okay spell, but rather boring, and most likely either overpowered or useless depending on the map.
    A tip: you can set sides per die and number of dice to 0, thus leaving the unit with 0-0 attack rather than 1-1.​

The_Reborn_Devil - Spirit Ward
    The idea was quite nice.​
    Local Handle Vars are deprecated for a reason. You also could've removed the use of arrays with the lightnings, and moved nulling outside the loop. Finally, Dynamic Triggers should be avoided when possible.​
    The spell would be great in many kinds of maps, and the tooltip fit it. However, the icon was blah, and it bugged up when two were affecting the same unit, so that the unit could not decide which one to attack and would sit there twitching.​
    The special effects were amazing (Kudos on a great looking, original lightning without imports... I thought that would've been based off Drain Mana, if anything, not Mana Burn).​
    A nice spell, but with some annoying flaws.​

kewlthis - Ember
    The spell had a lot of overhead which could have been avoided (A permanent .05 second timer). There was a bug where one of the dummies has the wrong spell leveled up.​
    The spell would be good for a variety of maps. The tooltip could have been more informative, and the icon was fine. Dummies were selectable.​
    The special effects were mostly good. However, the fireball not changing facing looked rather bad.​
    A great twist on the theme.​
    An interesting and unique spell (Bobo_The_Kodo cleimed it is similar to AoM's fire trapping skill, but it is actually quite different), but with some fixes necessary.​

Just_Spectating - Trap of the Infernal
    You don't have to null globals. Why are you using if-statements? Additionally, -1 point for frugal triggering.​
    The spell would be okay for a variety of maps. The icon and tooltip fit. The dummies were selectable.​
    The special effects were decent, but that fire isn't the best. Additionally, you left shadows on the dummies.​
    The spell fit the theme well.​
    A decent spell, detrimented by a number of flaws.​

spiwn - Totem of Vengeance
    The idea was not the most original (ressurection AoE abilities have been done more than a few times).​
    >'o000' was an interesting hack, but rather impractical, assuming that the IDs are not copied perfectly (along with ID - 1). Exploded units could not be revived, yet still used up a charge on the ward. The ward lost its expiration timer after a charge was used (why not just use SetUnitScale?). Minus one point for frugal triggering.​
    The spell would be good for a variety of maps. The icon and tooltip were okay.​
    The special effects fit the spell.​
    A decent spell, but rather buggy.​

redscores - Chain Trap
    The idea was original.​
    The spell would still waste mana cost and cooldown (if applied) when the Chain Trap max had already been reached. A group is leaked. Why were you setting variables when they were only used once, right after (I didn't deduct points for this)? The spell was not MUI or MPI.​
    The spell would be good for a variety of maps. The icon and tooltip were good, except the tooltip lacked an available hotkey.​
    The special effects fit the spell. However, since the Lightning Effect was based off the x/y of the target point and not the unit created, it was sometimes offset.​
    A good spell, but it could use some work.​

Congratulations to Hanky and all contestants.

Last edited:
Level 12
why not just use SetUnitScale?

Because if I simply used the set unit scale, then I would have to use a more complicated, way unsafer and rather slow method(or use up the unit's custom data) for the charges.
Did the spell really fast, so I didn't have time to configure for which units the totem should not activate :D

Grats Hanky

P.s. Back to packing ;)

Level 15
Good job Hanky, you deserved it :D. Damn, could have set a number or something to show the water but hey, I was lazy and late :p
EDIT: OMG! I JUST DID THE NUMBER THING AND IT TOOK ME ONLY 5 MINUTES! I realised the leak and that made me sad :(
+reps to all the contestants, very good spells.

Last edited:
Level 14
Yes I know the effects could use some work. I first thought about that I could let the ligthning dissapear slowly. The only problem is that you can't let disappear effects. So I would have to make a extra dummy. But I thought nobody would like to import much so I didn't made it. But maybe I will add it. But yea Im the winner :D. Thanks to poot for fair judging and thanks to all other participants.

Nice, i knew from the start that Hanky will win, his spell is impresiv, GJ Hanky!
And again Purple, you done done fair scoring on my spell, only about the icon (Sentry/Eye? why isn't it fitting I mean its search for random targets, like any eye and lightning) Anyway, its over now and I agree with the scoring.

GJ, to Purp, Hanky and the rest who joined the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.