• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
oo.. I thought it should be jass.

I found a thing though, not quite sure of it since it wasnt possible to see D:
What it I die when I have cast the spell and the face is coming towards me? Will the face-unit be resummoned?

Level 40
But you as such start 6 hours fast, too.

It's not like the time between two times in GMT depends where you are in the world.

XieLong - Matter Deprivation
  • Idea: 5/5 points
    Definitely a neat idea.​
  • Triggering: 5/10 points
    SetUnitMaxLife had a typo causing it to incorrectly change life for high values. Arbitrarily overusing Dynamic Triggers for no good reason is also quite a bad idea, as it is inefficient and also not that hard to cause excessive glitches with. Seeing as you don't need to remove triggerconditions, and they're faster, they should be used when possible if you are actually using dynamic triggers. Also, you lose a few points due to the massive glitchiness of the script ingame.​
  • Overall Aspect: 2/5 points
    The tooltip and icon fit and were useful. However, as for the spell itself, it was horrendously buggy, randomly ending earlier than it should, throwing stats all over the place, and so on.​
  • Visual Effects: 3/5 points
    The visual effects were not fancy, but stood out and clearly indicated the spell's presence. However, the instantaneous shrinking of the hero when it ended was rather choppy and thus not the nicest-looking.​
  • Theme: 3/3 points
    The spell matched the theme well.​
  • Total: 18/28 points
    While it was a nice idea, this spell was glitchy to the point where I wondered whether it was ever tested.​

Razorbrain - Curse of Mosh'Gah
    The spell was a good idea.​
  • Triggering: 6/10 points
    The spell was only partially MUI. The way of making this spell MUI was horrendously inefficient. The effect position was relative to a preplaced unit.​
  • Overall Aspect: 5/5 points
    A fitting tooltip and icon, and performed well ingame. Would perform well in a variety of situations.​
  • Visual Effects: 5/5 points
    The visual effects were not fancy, but stood out and clearly indicated the spell's presence.​
  • Total: 24/28 points
    An interesting idea, but not carried out very well on the trigger side.​

-BerZeKer- - Torching Grip
  • Idea: 3/5 points
    The spell was a decent idea, but prone to many problems.​
  • Triggering: 7/10 points
    The spell was not MUI in any way, shape, or form. The Movement Speed bug was prone to glitching in about any game in existence, and was also rather easy to fix (Boots of Speed ability). Rather than copying a ton of actions to have the spell end in a certain place, an exitwhen should have been applied.​
  • Overall Aspect: 3/5 points
    A fitting tooltip and icon, and performed well ingame. However, it would likely be nearly impossible to balance.​
    The visual effects were not fancy, but fit.​
  • Total: 21/28 points
    An idea that was half-thought out and prone to bugs. Triggering was decent but not good.​

Eccho - Savage Frenzy
    The spell was a decent idea, but similar spells have been done before.​
  • Triggering: 8/10 points
    Your code was decent, but it was spamming me with HSAS messages when I did not have debug mode enabled. Also, your condition function could be better implemented with a local boolean. You don't have to remove triggerconditions, so you should only use them and skip triggeractions altogether. SetUnitState can be replaced with SetWidgetLife, same with GetUnitState and GetWidgetLife, in situations when you use UNIT_STATE_LIFE.​
  • Overall Aspect: 4/5 points
    A fitting tooltip and icon, and performed well ingame. However, the tooltip failed to indicate that spell immune units and mechanical units do not trigger the ability.​
  • Visual Effects: 4/5 points
    The visual effects fit, though they could have been slightly more interesting.​
  • Total: 22/28 points
    Fairly well coded, but be careful with your tooltip, and a more original spell would be nicer.​

Purification - Armor Disenchantment
    The spell was a decent idea, but not particularly special.​
    Your triggers were rather simplistic, and deleaking was carried out badly. The spell could have easily been made more efficient, just by moving some lines around. Due to the position of your deleaking, the spell was likely prone to bugs.​
    A fitting icon, but the tooltip was rather poorly structured: no hotkey was provided, the tooltip provided more info in the hero skills menu, and so on. The spell should be relatively portable to different kinds of maps.​
    The visual effects fit well.​
    Keep working on spell making! It's a nice way to practice your triggering/scripting, and there's always something new to learn. As for this spell, you should mainly do some more triggers and post them up for revision to see how you can improve more clearly than this review states.​

redscores - Gold Drain
  • Idea: 1/5 points
    Besides the fact that this is a rather unoriginal idea, the effect (not the visuals, but otherwise) is an exact clone of Darky29's Gold Drain/Drain Gold/Something else of that name, bar the explosion at the end.​
    Your script was decent, but had some bad coding practice and other flaws. You had a scope, but barely used it at best. You included a ton of struct members which should have been locals in various functions instead, which is inefficient as well as pointless. A global location which was moved via MoveLocation would have been more efficient than your implementation. You also leak, judging by the few instances in your code (not nulling a group, for example), and the fact that three or four casts of your spell increased my handle ID count by roughly 900.​
    The tooltip was rather poorly grammatically structured, though it was informative. The icon was fitting. Balance would be a very fine line when using this spell in almost any map.​
  • Total: 19/28 points
    You mainly got nuked here for your lack of an original idea, and terrible vJass application. The spell was decent ingame, but on the code and idea side, it needed major work.​

The_Reborn_Devil - Steal Gold
    As with redscores', the spell is rather unoriginal. The 1 point is earned from the fact that it specifically targets a gold mine.​
  • Triggering: 7/10 points
    Gamecache is generally deprecated with the advent of vJass, especially due to its bugginess. Additionally, the fact that you use lightnings in gamecache is basically asking for it to glitch - lightnings are, for whatever reason, good at that. You also stored to a rather excessive number of things.​
    The icon fit, but the tooltip was lacking a hotkey and general structure. The spell would work well in a melee game, if balanced properly.​
  • Total: 20/28 points
    A more original idea would be ideal (no pun intended), and for the love of all that is good in the world, please use vJass. Gamecache is deprecated for a reason.​

gaydaman88 - Spirituatl Exchange
    This was a quite neat idea.​
    The triggers leaked quite a bit. The spell was only MPI, not fully MUI. Implementation of dummies with preset abilities is a bad idea for ease of importing purposes. You do things which make assumptions about the way the map is triggered (ex Last Created Weather Effect) which are a bad idea in practice.​
    The icon was rather lacking (just a Tauren Chieftain icon), but the tooltip was decent. The spell would work well in a melee game, if balanced properly.​
    The visual effects fit the spell well.​
  • Total: 23/28 points
    It was a nice idea, but your triggering could mainly use some improvement here. Look up a general leak tutorial, and work on MUI.​

Martin Barbov - Heart's Wrest
    A nice twist on the standard lifesteal idea.​
    You leak a lot of groups in "spell init", and create/destroy one which it is pointless to. A For Each Integer A loop did not, in fact, have much place in the triggering at all. The triggers were otherwise simple but decent.​
    Careful with your tooltip (3100 damage at level 3 :p)! The spell's icon fit the theme, and the spell would work well in a variety of games.​
  • Total: 25/28 points
    In general pretty well done, though the triggering could've used a few tweaks. Also, keep a watch out for typos!​

terradont - Steal
    Other than the fact that the stat this stole is random, it's been done more than a few times before.​
    I'm almost certain you leak from setting StealPoint = Center of No Region. Just don't bother nulling globals at all. Otherwise, the triggering was relatively good, bar lack of MUI, which could have easily been achieved using (Triggering Unit).​
    The tooltip and icon were fitting. The spell's balance would be rather delicate in most game types.​
    You did a pretty good job with most of the categories here, but it would be good if you could come up with a more original idea in the future.​

spiwn - Soul Steal
    A neat and unique idea.​
    Your scripting was pretty good, but could use some work. The condition would have been better implemented using a local boolean. You really shouldn't use structs in this way, it's not how they're designed at all, and it makes little sense to. ==true is redundant. Z height checking could be more efficiently implemented by moving around a global location.​
    The icon was fitting, but watch out for grammar and spelling in your tooltip! The spell would fit into a variety of maps.​
  • Visual Effects: 4/5 points
    The visual effects fit the spell well, except the lightning fade was rather choppy. It would be good if you took Blizzard's example with the melee abilities and made the lightning fade out.​
  • Total: 24/28 points
    You squeezed a close second here. Keep looking into structs, but remember, they're data structures, not just blocks to randomly put code in!​

Congratulations to Martin Barbov and all contestants.

Level 12
That was fast(faster than last time) :)
Lol.
Heart's Wrest - buggy, it is hard to understand what the spell does from the tooltips :D
I am not jealous of Martin Barbov(a fellow Bulgarian :p ), as I said for me, it is not about winning. It is just that ... lets say it this way: when I saw that spell I thought it would get last place :D

ah, whatever, just ignore that and read on ;)

I ask of a favor from PurplePoot - could you please clarify some of the things you mentioned, so that I can improve :)
What do you mean by "rather choppy"?
I think the spell looks exactly like what I wanted it to look like(with the compromise of lightnings not going towards "the attacking hand") :D
What is the problem with the condition(you are talking about the condition of the 'initial' trigger, right? ) ? Yes, returning a local boolean is an option, but does this way cause any problems?
And the last thing I am interested in is about structures. In program languages structures are meant to be used like this. Why isn't that recommended in (v)Jass?
(I also noted a significant drop in handle indexes when I put everything inside the structures - from a top of 800-900 to 500-600).
I thank you in advance :)
I will be happy if you answer that, even if after your vaction.
Anyways, that "tha" slipped :D

Level 23
Wow... I really thought spiwn or redscores would win... Didn't know about darky's already existing gold drain :>

Poot, one thing... The HSAS flooding was there because the code who said it should be enabled was true.
Maybe I should have told you that but I thought you knew about HSAS more than me. Simply if you would have
public boolean DebugMap = false it would have worked...

Good work Martin. I thought the leaks would pull you down but appearantly not ;)

I know my will not be even close to be one of best, triggering really sux, and i tried to edit the boots of speed, but id didn't work... At the first place i don't even like the theme. It could be better, if i would have time to play with it(i just made a spell the first day the contest started, than i mostly didn't do anything for next 14 days) purple, you did good on my spell(but if i were you, i would give(myself) lower score)

Purple, have fun in Spain!

HF -BZR-

Level 20
redscores, no one cares. GTFO now or stop being such an overdramatic sore loser. Poot was the judge, he makes the decisions. If you're going to cry about such a small internet contest, no one wants to hear your whining. I'll go test some spells out of curiosity.

EDIT: Boring spell and sloppy coding.

Level 40
Heart's Wrest - buggy, it is hard to understand what the spell does from the tooltips :D
I never had any bugs with it, odd (Unless you mean that they still spawned when no enemies were near).

What is the problem with the condition(you are talking about the condition of the 'initial' trigger, right? ) ? Yes, returning a local boolean is an option, but does this way cause any problems?
You didn't lose points for everything I put down, sometimes they were just suggestions.

What do you mean by "rather choppy"?
It suddenly appeared then suddenly disappeared, which looked rather weird.

And the last thing I am interested in is about structures. In program languages structures are meant to be used like this. Why isn't that recommended in (v)Jass?
You didn't use them to store data, you used them to contain the entire contents of your spells.

They are only used as such in fully OOP in which it isn't an option to do it any other way. Jass is still primarily procedural.

Anyways, that "tha" slipped :D
There was another, too, though I can't remember it right now xD

Poot, one thing... The HSAS flooding was there because the code who said it should be enabled was true.
Maybe I should have told you that but I thought you knew about HSAS more than me. Simply if you would have
public boolean DebugMap = false it would have worked...
You really shouldn't have to change the spell's code to make you not get spammed, that was my point.

And judging by the fact that I don't use HSAS and only ever did once, to review an old version without this feature, you probably know more about it than me. But remember, most will know nothing about it whatsoever. You should initialize it to false so that people can change it to true if they want, but don't have to.

Good work Martin. I thought the leaks would pull you down but appearantly not ;)
The leaks got him a bit but the rest of his triggers were good enough to make up for it (Some local sections had problems, yes, but the rest)...

It's also rather broadcasted that I go easier on GUI than Jass, otherwise they would never have a chance (For ex, GUI doesn't have to worry about BJs for the reason that there is no way to deal with them), and we don't have enough Jassers to run a contest with only them anyways. However, it doesn't make it any harder for a Jasser to win than a GUIer by any means ;).

No one got a perfect coding score? I'll have to remember to join the next contest :p
xD

Good one, thats lame, i didnt know darky made one, this sucks... highly, in my opinion, i cant make something what never on this earth happened,
Well blah, it's not exactly a unique spell, which you can tell alone from the fact that two got into the same contest.

Also, Bobo_The_Kodo warned you of such about a week ago or more, so it's not like you didn't have time to change.

thats it, i will never take contest on such a lame shit.

Thanks alot you lost a member of THW.
If that's going to be your opinion for not getting a free win from something which didn't earn it, then we're probably pretty lucky.

At the first place i don't even like the theme.
No problem, some themes strike some people more than others.

Unless Rui unstickies this, it will be up until I get back, seeing as I'd like to to stay up for another while, and yet I won't have time to unsticky it after 3 hours and 59 minutes from now.

Level 12
About the buggs - everything is caused by the group destruction, rather than clearing it(units get targeted multiple times(a unit with 1 hp can take all 5 "storm bolts" when there is a unit with more hp around).
This contest is history. I do not care if my scoring for this one changes. I am looking forward to the next one. I just want to improve my skills for it(and any improvement to my general programing skills is welcome too).

I was looking for more info on those suggestions.
Like why is one thing better than another.
About lightnings: I still think they look normal, I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.
PurplePoot said:
They are only used as such in fully OOP in which it wasn't an option.
I do not get this one. Do you mean that vJass/jasshelper/JNGP were not meant to support full OOP(yes I know what that stands for ;) ) ?
Once again, have a great time :)

Last edited:
Level 12
Yeah :(
I think the majority will agree that the theme did not inspire them very much :D
So to avoid that, lets start thinking of good(really good) suggestions for themes.

Level 40
I just want to improve my skills for it(and any improvement to my general programing skills is welcome too).
No problem, that's what these really are about, just learning with a bit of motivation ;)

About lightnings: I still think they look normal, I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.
Fair enough.

I do not get this one. Do you mean that vJass/jasshelper/JNGP were not meant to support full OOP(yes I know what that stands for ;) ) ?
They add the ability to turn everything OOP, but that doesn't mean you should do so - Jass is still more efficient procedurally (arrays are slower than normal variables for obvious reasons), and it's best only to use structs in situations when they really aren't sanely replaceable (for example, instead of Gamecache). Again, it's situational when or not to do what, but there's really no advantage and a lot of disadvantages (mainly from a readability point of view) from sticking it in a random struct rather than using a scope, or just a "Trigger", well.

So to avoid that, lets start thinking of good(really good) suggestions for themes.
If you want to compile a list of group favorites collectively, then feel free to do so in the T&S Mini-Contests thread, and I'll take a look when I get back.

Level 17
I'd like to state that it's stupid for you to expect them to know what spells have been made before the comp that are not located on hive, and that as it's not on hive, it was a bad call for you to give a 1/5 for being similar to a spell that they haven't seen.

Redscores seems to think you're lying about the spell by darky even existing. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say it just isn't here on hive. maybe its on the helper, or maybe it used to be on wc3sear.ch. Plus, he posted what he was doing and discussed it long before the competition was over, and clearly had no idea that someone else had made somethign similar. I searched, and I couldn't find it anywhere, so that ends that.

I don't think you're a liar, but darky's spell is not readily available to see if it was the same as what either of the people here were making, and I think because you failed to tell him he was going to be penalized for making somehting similar to some obscurely located material (which may or may not have been similar, because its not easily found) that this contest was not judged fairly.

Makes me glad I didn't enter and did other things with my time.

And I'd like to note that I thought maybe redscores was just being a sore loser until I looked for the spell purple suggested and could not find it anywhere.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I'm not saying Redscores should win, I'm just saying darky's spell, which - much like the Isle de Muerta, can only be found by those who already know where it is - should not be part of the equation.

Last edited:
Level 12
From my very long experience ;)
I know one contest does not start right after the other.
What is the rush?
And ffs not here, there is a topic on the contest :p

Last edited:
Level 23
Well poot said Gui scripts has beaten jass before. It is a matter of leaking and such. Obviously your idea was the best._. (no offense). It was good by I thought it lacked since it sometimes bugged up

Well, your not allowed to be on next one:p hah (just kidding im not that kind of "laugh-towards-others-guy")

:D

Level 12
To prevent bugs from occurring in his spell(all the bugs I can think of), only the custom script should be changed from call DestroyGroup(##) to call ClearGroup(##) - so it is not that buggy.

Last edited:
Level 40
PS. Sorry for the lack of BBCode, but apparently Spanish keyboards have trouble with square brackets (They're a third case that I have no idea how to access).

-I'd like to state that it's stupid for you to expect them to know what spells have been made before the comp that are not located on hive, and that as it's not on hive, it was a bad call for you to give a 1/5 for being similar to a spell that they haven't seen.

I would normally agree with you, but...

A) There were two spells of the type IN THE SAME COMPETITION.
B) They (Reborn and Redscores) were warned a week in advance by Bobo_The_Kodo that the spells had been done several times before.
C) Steal gold is not a particularly rare idea, odds suggest it's been made before anyways.

-Redscores seems to think you're lying about the spell by darky even existing. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say it just isn't here on hive. maybe its on the helper, or maybe it used to be on wc3sear.ch. Plus, he posted what he was doing and discussed it long before the competition was over, and clearly had no idea that someone else had made somethign similar. I searched, and I couldn't find it anywhere, so that ends that.

A) It seems to have been lost in the transfer to HIVE, yes.
B) Why would I lie to make some random person lose? Redscores in general has been acting arrogant about contests recently, and I'm more inclined to believe he's annoyed due to his loss.

-Poot isn't the only spell moderator around here. We could probably get someone else to host this too, I'd suppose...
If you remember the two-month delay around contest numbers 5, 6, 7, or whatever, that was me asking for other volunteers to host... I eventually gave up due to the fact that no one ever actually offered to, though if you want to ask DSG/wyrm/etc, feel free.

-Hey PP, what would my spell have gotten?
Not sure, I don't remember it.

-Man I shouldn't have said I'll be back for the next competition, I think it made everyone expect one right away :<
Naw, everyone always does it ;)

-Well poot said Gui scripts has beaten jass before. It is a matter of leaking and such.
GUI is not penalized for BJs etc for obvious reasons (While it technically should anyways, we lack a sufficient amount of JASSers to consistently hold contests for them only).

-It was good by I thought it lacked since it sometimes bugged up
One problem is that I really don't have time to test the spells more than a few times in a row, so inconsistent bugs are often missed (Especially with a significant amount of entries).

Level 40
No, the Spanish course I took for a week (just finished today) has internet access, so I popped on yesterday and today.

I fly home on the 31st of July, which means I should arrive back on the 1st of August, meaning I'll really be 'back' on the 1st, or more likely the 2nd (due to being tired).

I doubt Í'll have internet access after about 1 minute from now, but I may be at an internet café, or be in a hotel with internet access, at some point.

Level 12
Holy mother of lord, props to PurplePoot for a sh*tload of script checking

Gahhh, I had a really good idea for this (and I'm learning some vJASS so it wouldn't have been ugly GUI)

Status
Not open for further replies.