1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #14

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by PurplePoot, Jun 17, 2008.

1. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    About the buggs - everything is caused by the group destruction, rather than clearing it(units get targeted multiple times(a unit with 1 hp can take all 5 "storm bolts" when there is a unit with more hp around).
    This contest is history. I do not care if my scoring for this one changes. I am looking forward to the next one. I just want to improve my skills for it(and any improvement to my general programing skills is welcome too).

I was looking for more info on those suggestions.
    Like why is one thing better than another.
    About lightnings: I still think they look normal, I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.
    I do not get this one. Do you mean that vJass/jasshelper/JNGP were not meant to support full OOP(yes I know what that stands for ;) ) ?
    Once again, have a great time :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Me too :) Somehow this wasn't my favorite theme as well.
    Anyway Poot have fun on your trip.

3. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah :(
    I think the majority will agree that the theme did not inspire them very much :D
    So to avoid that, lets start thinking of good(really good) suggestions for themes.

4. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No problem, that's what these really are about, just learning with a bit of motivation ;)

Fair enough.

They add the ability to turn everything OOP, but that doesn't mean you should do so - Jass is still more efficient procedurally (arrays are slower than normal variables for obvious reasons), and it's best only to use structs in situations when they really aren't sanely replaceable (for example, instead of Gamecache). Again, it's situational when or not to do what, but there's really no advantage and a lot of disadvantages (mainly from a readability point of view) from sticking it in a random struct rather than using a scope, or just a "Trigger", well.

If you want to compile a list of group favorites collectively, then feel free to do so in the T&S Mini-Contests thread, and I'll take a look when I get back.

5. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    at least ther was good competition..

6. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'd like to state that it's stupid for you to expect them to know what spells have been made before the comp that are not located on hive, and that as it's not on hive, it was a bad call for you to give a 1/5 for being similar to a spell that they haven't seen.

Redscores seems to think you're lying about the spell by darky even existing. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say it just isn't here on hive. maybe its on the helper, or maybe it used to be on wc3sear.ch. Plus, he posted what he was doing and discussed it long before the competition was over, and clearly had no idea that someone else had made somethign similar. I searched, and I couldn't find it anywhere, so that ends that.

I don't think you're a liar, but darky's spell is not readily available to see if it was the same as what either of the people here were making, and I think because you failed to tell him he was going to be penalized for making somehting similar to some obscurely located material (which may or may not have been similar, because its not easily found) that this contest was not judged fairly.

Makes me glad I didn't enter and did other things with my time.

And I'd like to note that I thought maybe redscores was just being a sore loser until I looked for the spell purple suggested and could not find it anywhere.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I'm not saying Redscores should win, I'm just saying darky's spell, which - much like the Isle de Muerta, can only be found by those who already know where it is - should not be part of the equation.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  7. gavdaman88

gavdaman88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow.... I'm glad my spell did well... and I congratulate the winner :thumbs_up:

I'll be back for the next competition and thanks for hosting it purple root, enjoy your time away.

8. chenlimin

chenlimin

Resources:
    Resources:
    when will the the contest happen?

9. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Most certainly after PurplePoot gets back :D

10. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Poot isn't the only spell moderator around here. We could probably get someone else to host this too, I'd suppose...

11. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Great, so which moderator will host the next contest ?

12. -Berz-

-Berz-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I think DSG could do it?(he is a spell mod isn't he?)

13. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    From my very long experience ;)
    I know one contest does not start right after the other.
    What is the rush?
    And ffs not here, there is a topic on the contest :p

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  14. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hey PP, what would my spell have gotten?

15. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you haven't followed. Poot is on vacation in Spain .-.

16. gavdaman88

gavdaman88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Man I shouldn't have said I'll be back for the next competition, I think it made everyone expect one right away :<

And I'm not fussed when or who hosts the next one, no rush in my opinion, I'm sure some of us have bigger projects to get back to anyway :p

17. Martin Barbov

Martin Barbov

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, I won again. That's a surprise. Thanks for all the congrats.

(I was on vacation and checkes the contest today)

That's really strange. I'm not that good mapmaker. I don't even use jass but I'm in the top 3 of every contest I participate in.

18. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well poot said Gui scripts has beaten jass before. It is a matter of leaking and such. Obviously your idea was the best._. (no offense). It was good by I thought it lacked since it sometimes bugged up

Well, your not allowed to be on next one:p hah (just kidding im not that kind of "laugh-towards-others-guy")

:D

19. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    To prevent bugs from occurring in his spell(all the bugs I can think of), only the custom script should be changed from call DestroyGroup(##) to call ClearGroup(##) - so it is not that buggy.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    PS. Sorry for the lack of BBCode, but apparently Spanish keyboards have trouble with square brackets (They're a third case that I have no idea how to access).

-I'd like to state that it's stupid for you to expect them to know what spells have been made before the comp that are not located on hive, and that as it's not on hive, it was a bad call for you to give a 1/5 for being similar to a spell that they haven't seen.

I would normally agree with you, but...

A) There were two spells of the type IN THE SAME COMPETITION.
    B) They (Reborn and Redscores) were warned a week in advance by Bobo_The_Kodo that the spells had been done several times before.
    C) Steal gold is not a particularly rare idea, odds suggest it's been made before anyways.

-Redscores seems to think you're lying about the spell by darky even existing. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say it just isn't here on hive. maybe its on the helper, or maybe it used to be on wc3sear.ch. Plus, he posted what he was doing and discussed it long before the competition was over, and clearly had no idea that someone else had made somethign similar. I searched, and I couldn't find it anywhere, so that ends that.

A) It seems to have been lost in the transfer to HIVE, yes.
    B) Why would I lie to make some random person lose? Redscores in general has been acting arrogant about contests recently, and I'm more inclined to believe he's annoyed due to his loss.

-Poot isn't the only spell moderator around here. We could probably get someone else to host this too, I'd suppose...
    If you remember the two-month delay around contest numbers 5, 6, 7, or whatever, that was me asking for other volunteers to host... I eventually gave up due to the fact that no one ever actually offered to, though if you want to ask DSG/wyrm/etc, feel free.

-Hey PP, what would my spell have gotten?
    Not sure, I don't remember it.

-Man I shouldn't have said I'll be back for the next competition, I think it made everyone expect one right away :<
    Naw, everyone always does it ;)

-Well poot said Gui scripts has beaten jass before. It is a matter of leaking and such.
    GUI is not penalized for BJs etc for obvious reasons (While it technically should anyways, we lack a sufficient amount of JASSers to consistently hold contests for them only).

-It was good by I thought it lacked since it sometimes bugged up
    One problem is that I really don't have time to test the spells more than a few times in a row, so inconsistent bugs are often missed (Especially with a significant amount of entries).