• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells & Systems Contest #6 [Protection Shield]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I would like to ask everyone to upload finished spells in 12 hours from now! It is my fault, I'll move to an other city on sunday, and I won't have a pc there for (at least) a week, so I wouldn't be able to check the spells. Only on saturday. So please, upload all spell as fast as you can!!

Sorry for any inconvenience or if you can't finish your spell! I'll try to leave as much time as I can, but I have to hurry and announce a winner on saturday.

Sorry again!

Level 4
Change of plan, I will enter with a new spell: Evil Shield

What it's supposed to do is give a target ally spell immunity and the ability to instantly kill any attackers. It lasts for 12 seconds on level 1, 16 seconds on Level 2 and 20 seconds on Level 3

It has one known leak that I don't know how to fix: The buff disappears when the ally is attacked by the enemy.

That's the only one I know of... Remember, I'm a newbie to leaks

Anyway, here's the spell

Attachments

• Evil Shield.w3x
    26 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Level 20
Okay well I guess I managed to get something up anyway. Here goes:

Soul Transfer - The caster shoots out a blue beam of light towards the target. Once it makes contact, their souls are bound. The target allied unit no longer takes any HP damage, all of the damage is transferred to the casting unit under a certain reduction. Lasts X seconds.

Level 1, 40% damage. Lasts 6 seconds.
Level 2, 30% damage, Lasts 7 seconds.
Level 4, 20% damage, Lasts 8 seconds.

There is one known bug. I can't make the target unit completely invulnerable. Whenever it gets hit the first time (only if the target's current HP + the dealt damage > target's max HP), the damage from the attack is always taken off and not given back, and I couldn't think of a way to fix it. Other than that, it's probably highly inefficient and leaks in some sort of crazy way I never thought of.

Attachments

• SoulTransfer.w3x
    15.9 KB · Views: 225
Level 12
There is one known bug. I can't make the target unit completely invulnerable. Whenever it gets hit the first time (only if the target's current HP + the dealt damage > target's max HP), the damage from the attack is always taken off and not given back, and I couldn't think of a way to fix it. Other than that, it's probably highly inefficient and leaks in some sort of crazy way I never thought of.
i actually had the same problem, but i managed to fix it :p

Level 11
OK, let's see Spells & Systems Contest #6 reviews:

CarrionMan19 - Evil Shield

Idea - 4 points
-1 - An instant kill spell is always evil.

Triggering - 3 points
-1 - The trigger is pretty simple.
-1 - It runs every time a generic unit is attacked, and if a unit does not have (or even never had) the buff, it still removes Magic Immunity. It means, the spell is buggy. It also kills Slowed units, which is stupid.

Theme - 2 points
-1 - It protect the unit from nothing, but simply kills the attacker.

Playability - 1 points
-2 - A spell like this completely messes the gameplay up. It becomes pretty imbalanced.

Effects - 0 points
-2 - Nothing except a cast effect.

TOTAL: 4+3+2+1+0 = 10
------------------------------------------------------
Just_Spectating - Mana Enchant

Idea - 4 points
-1 - Banish + Collision + Bonus MS, nothing special.

Triggering - 1 points
-2 - 0.1 second periodic trigger with 2 group leaks - insane.
-1 - Too simple but "could-be-made-easier" triggers.

Theme - 3 points

Playability - 3 points

Effects - 1 points
-1 - Nothing but Banish buff effect.

TOTAL: 4+2+3+3+1 = 13
Razorbrain - Mystic Rift Shield

Idea - 4 points
-1 - Damage-splitter spells are popular.

Triggering - 4 points
-1 - The way you heal the unit is extremely stupid.

Theme - 3 points

Playability - 2 points
-1 - Game became very laggy after the second cast.

Effects - 2 points

TOTAL: 4+4+3+2+2 = 15
Dil999 - Holy Spiral

Idea - 4 points
-1 - Only a boosted AoE Invulnerability.

Triggering - 4 points
-1 - Not JESP!!!

Theme - 2 points
-1 - It's a single-unit-target and AoE hybrid. I said single-unit-targetted.

Playability - 3 points

Effects - 2 points

TOTAL: 4+4+2+3+2 = 15
Eleandor - Arcane Protection

Idea - 5 points

Triggering - 4 points
-1 - Pretty simple trigger.

Theme - 3 points

Playability - 2 points
-1 - It can be very disturbing sometimes.

Effects - 2 points

TOTAL: 5+4+3+2+2 = 16
HINDYhat - SoulTransfer

Idea - 4 points
-1 - There are plenty damage-converting spells out there.

Triggering - 5 points

Theme - 3 points

Playability - 3 points

Effects - 2 points

TOTAL: 4+5+3+3+2 = 17

The last three spells were my favourites, but HINDYhat could make his (her? :p) spell the best.
Thank you for participation, and sorry again if I crossed someone's calculations with the deadline modification, but it was neccessary - believe me!

Level 9
Fucking great. I had my spell finished yesterday but didnt submit it yet since I didnt notice the new deadline. I did check the first post to make sure I remembered the deadline correctly, but It wasnt updated -.-;

Edit: I felt like attaching the map even though it doesnt matter anymore...
The spell turns all damage done to the target unit into damage over time. (takes a while to kill him even with a damn big army)

Attachments

• Ale Bottle - Spell Competition 6 (1.02).w3x
    27.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Level 4
CarrionMan19 - Evil Shield

Idea - 4 points
-1 - An instant kill spell is always evil.

Triggering - 3 points
-1 - The trigger is pretty simple.
-1 - It runs every time a generic unit is attacked, and if a unit does not have (or even never had) the buff, it still removes Magic Immunity. It means, the spell is buggy. It also kills Slowed units, which is stupid.

Theme - 2 points
-1 - It protect the unit from nothing, but simply kills the attacker.

Playability - 1 points
-2 - A spell like this completely messes the gameplay up. It becomes pretty imbalanced.

Effects - 0 points
-2 - Nothing except a cast effect.

TOTAL: 4+3+2+1+0 = 10

How the hell does a spell that provides Spell Immunity not protect anything? I guess I could have proved it protects something by using a few Priests or something, but come on, everyone knows Spell Immunity protects units from magic (Well, really it makes them immune to it, but that's pretty much the same thing). Other than that, nothing to complain about... I don't do protection spells, I prefer actual attacks. BTW I needed a trigger to kill slowed units because it wasn't supposed to slow units down anyway, it was just supposed to kill them, and I probably needed to the remove Spell Immunity trigger because Abominations don't have Spell Immunity, and I haven't chosen units that have Spell Immunity

Level 7
Eh.. I was gonna post this the last contest but I decided not to:
How come I'm getting points off for not doing JESP? Isnt that really just penalizing me for using a more versatile way of making the spell? If your penalizing me for not using JESP or (in the last contest) not making it efficient enough, doesnt it mean that every GUI spell should get those points off, too? If not.. I should just use GUI and probably end up getting a better score even though the coding is alot worse.

Level 40
How come I'm getting points off for not doing JESP? Isnt that really just penalizing me for using a more versatile way of making the spell? If your penalizing me for not using JESP or (in the last contest) not making it efficient enough, doesnt it mean that every GUI spell should get those points off, too? If not.. I should just use GUI and probably end up getting a better score even though the coding is alot worse.
Blarg, /agree

And I didn't penalize you in #5 for not using JESP, if you think I did -.-

Level 20
Wait, let me try it out again, I'll tell you more.

Unless if that was sarcastic...?

EDIT:
  • Set Target = (Random unit from (Units within 500.00 of TempPos matching ((((Matching unit) has buff Mystic Rift Shield) Equal to False) and (((Matching unit) Not equal to Damager) and (((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Not equal to Dummy) and (((Unit-type of (Matching unit)
Pretty sure that leaks in a groups.

Level 20
Well war3err popped up a location leak.

Total created locations: 2
Total undestroyed locations: 1

That came up when the target unit was attacked.

I think there's also a bug:
  • Set TempPos = (Position of Damager)
  • Set Damager = (Triggering unit)
Shouldn't those 2 lines switch places?
EDIT: I switched them and that took away the location leak, but there is still that group leak that needs fixing.

Level 7
Poot, I meant that in this contest i was penalized for not using JESP and last contest you penalized me for having a less-efficient code, even though it was still much more efficient than any of the GUI spells.

Level 20
The JESP penalty is totally unfair. I didn't see one place in the rules where it was written that it had to be JESP...

And it's difficult to make a jass spell less efficient than one made with the GUI... so once you start the spell in jass, it's probably judged in another way (if we were to take points off the GUI users, that would be sort of unfair for them).

Level 40
Poot, I meant that in this contest i was penalized for not using JESP and last contest you penalized me for having a less-efficient code, even though it was still much more efficient than any of the GUI spells.
If I judged GUI spells the same way on efficiency, JASS would win the contest almost every single time. I rate GUI on its potential to be efficient as GUI, and JASS on its potential to be efficient as JASS.

Oh, and Unscrewed, the contest already closed. Even if it had've run to the planned deadline, it would've been closed.

Level 4
Here is my spell: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/30249/

It is called "Bless".

It is a sheild that charms attacking units....see map for more detail.

You're too late, the contest has already ended, and the winner is HINDYhat, who scored 17 points (he lost a point on idea, like everyone else except Eleandor). You might want to try your luck in the next contest...

BTW I hope the next spell theme is 'Fire' or 'Mass Spell' or 'Point Targetting' or something along the lines because I have a kickass idea for that...

Level 7
Still, Poot. Thats like having a weight lifting contest, and if the person has no muscle and can lift 100 pounds, while a person with muscles can lift 200 pounds, saying the 100-pound person won because he can lift more for his muscle size...

All spells should be judged as if you were comparing it to a super-optimized, JASS, leakless version of it. You said that GUI is being judged on its potential, but isnt it the person's fault that his spells is leaky or unoptimized, since he can potentially learn JASS?

Level 40
But there were still 3.5 hours till the dead line when I posted...

Do you guys live in China ?

EDIT: Is it legal to end a contest early ?
No there weren't. It's GMT. GMT is a time zone. It doesn't matter where you are, GMT is GMT ><. He also gave you a day or two of warning.

Still, Poot. Thats like having a weight lifting contest, and if the person has no muscle and can lift 100 pounds, while a person with muscles can lift 200 pounds, saying the 100-pound person won because he can lift more for his muscle size...

All spells should be judged as if you were comparing it to a super-optimized, JASS, leakless version of it. You said that GUI is being judged on its potential, but isnt it the person's fault that his spells is leaky or unoptimized, since he can potentially learn JASS?
GUI would be bashed on for being leaky and unoptimized if they didn't deleak it or optimize it. However, if they did as well as they could, good for them.

And are you saying we should let 2% of the people win every single time? Where's the fun and challenge in that? There are almost definitely less than 30 people on THW who can get close to coding very efficient/optimized JASS, probably even less than 10.

Level 7
Then lets make the triggering rules alltogether more lax. Im not saying we should let those who know JASS win every time, but that they should atleast get some advantage (instead of a disadvantage)

Level 32
[off-topic]

Sorry about the apparent deadline conflicts guys!

From my understanding of the situation, paskovich HAD to close this particular contest a bit early so that he could validate and judge the submissions before he left for university.

As a general rule it's usually best (IMO) to submit contest entries well before the proposed deadline instead of waiting until the last minute.

Another Spell Moderator will conduct Mini-Contest #7 although I myself cannot promise any start date. Stay Tuned.

Level 40
People who have influence over spell stuff.. (note: admins and global mods rarely touch the spells section, however)

Administrators:
Ralle
Samuraid
Wolverabid
Bob27

Global Moderators:
Dr. Super Good (ex. Triggers&Scripts mod, does still review spells a good amount of the time)
Daelin
VGSatomi
Shados
Mecheon

Coding Subforum Moderators:
Me (GUI+JASS+AI+Spells&Systems)
Operator (GUI)
wyrmlord (JASS)
paskovich (S&S)
Diablo-dk (S&S)

Spell Moderators:
Me