• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

There and Back Again V1.0

Important Note: this is a MAJOR redo of my old map "Find the Arkenstone". Since said map is included within this map I decided to simply update the map instead of posting this as a seperate map. Most of the top comments are therefore pertaining to the old version. The changelogs for "Find the Arkenstone" are kept below.
---

NOTE: THIS MAP IS ON EXTENDED HIATUS. NO UPDATES ARE CURRENTLY IN THE WORKS.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN DISCUSSING HOW THIS MAP CAN GO FORWARD, FEEL FREE TO PM ME.

---

Follow Bilbo through his unexpected journey. Travel from the Trollshaws all the way to the Halls of Erebor and face threats ranging from monstrous Trolls to destructive Dragons, and make it through all these perils to return to the comfort of home, though you will never be the same.
Every level in this map is a maze. You will be playing as a Hobbit, a race that is not inclined to combat, and will be facing enemies who are often much larger or stronger than you. This of course means the game is not centred on combat but rather avoidance and a hint of exploration. Your quest will start you in the Trollshaws and end in the Halls of Erebor. There are some items hidden across the maps that can help you survive the deadly encounters you will face, but you will mainly rely on your light-feet and wits to make it past each challenge.

This map can currently be played both Multiplayer and Singleplayer, with the varying levels of difficulty that come with each. Depending on how it evolves and the thoughts of potential commenters it may change to singleplayer-only (with a more advanced enemy-movement system of course).

Full list of resources provided by the following Users can be found in-game under "Quests".

- HerrDave - Mc ! - Sellenisko - General Frank - Skypsi - Em! - Lender - JustSpectating - Gigy - -=Emergenzy= - D.O.G - Kenathorn.

I'd appreciate any comments, whether they be feedback or even something as simple as saying you enjoyed the map. Knowing that those hundred-or-so people who download my maps aren't just checking them out and then forgetting about them would make my day! That's why I post these maps, after all.

Well, thanks for taking the time to comment on, like, (subscribe), rate, download or play this map, or even just read this sentence. Hope you had some fun.

This map is open-source (like all my maps) and is free to experiment with or learn from. Just don't post it (or an edited version) anywhere else without my permission.

Once again, have fun, and remember this advice; "It's a dangerous business going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep to your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to..."

- More levels (though depending on the map and file-size its possible it'll end up split into multiple maps, each made up of four levels. I'd rather not have this map go above 5,000Kb's if I can help it).

Potential levels include:

- A Shire map that will act as a tutorial of-sorts in which you will play as Gandalf and find the Dwarves who have lost their way.

- A High Pass level which will involve Bilbo avoiding thrown boulders and lightning bolts while attempting to reunite with the Dwarves.

- A Carrock level where you will have to avoid Beorn.

- Of course a level involving freeing the Dwarves from Thranduil's Dungeons.

- A Battle of the Five Armies level where you will have to avoid Orcs.

- A potential sequel involving Frodo's journey is also a possibility.

For the current levels:

- More threats and benefits, specifically in Gollum's Cave (open to ideas).

- A possible use for those gems and jewels which currently give no benefits.

- More items and powerups.

- More abilities for Bilbo.

- Some form of currency and a Trader in each map (Gandalf???).

- Possible cinamatics (if anyone is interested and knows how to do this I'd appreciate help implementing them).

(V2.0):

- Smaug can now Take Flight.

- Collapsible Pillars were added.

- Bilbo's Evasion was reduced from 75% to 55%.

- Some icons were fixed.

(V2.1):

- Bilbo can now have Second Breakfast to heal.

- Smaug will now wander the map in Single Player. Remember to put the Computer Player on for Smaug or else it won't work!

- Bilbo's Evasion was reduced again. Now from 55% to 30%.

(V2.2):

- Added a Time Mode. Destroy the Massive Pillar in the center of the map as Smaug to enable it.

(V2.3):

- Fixed Take Flight resetting Sniff's cooldown.

- Fixed Smaug's Ability Button Positions.

- Changed the name from "Find the Arkenstone" to "There and Back Again" along with a whole host of other changes that are too many to name.

Previews
Contents

There and Back Again V1.0 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Take Flight resets the cooldown of Sniff to 0 (is again ready to use). Sniff doesn't always show the hobbit's location. I suppose the breaking of the pillar is in Smaug's favour and the dragon can also jump over stuff which makes the gameplay harder...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The jewel icons don't have DISBTN versions and they look green on F10/game pause.
Would be nice to have a use for these jewels.
Intended for the protagonists to start with less than full mana?
The Ring ability has no visible hotkey.
It's easy to know where to go by clicking on the minimap after taking the stone or where to go towards Bilbo after sniffing since, the pathing AI knows how to not get stuck in the labyrinth. One way to make things better is to make the map totally dark and the darkness to remain in places you are not there at that time.

Not sure how balanced the game is with Bilbo having such a high chance to dodge. Rigorous testing is needed.
Generally, the concept is nice but quite simple. Right now, replayability is quite low.
What would make this map really good is randomized labyrinth at the start of each game or even some game modes of which one could include timely and recurring labyrinth path shifts (some entrances could close and others open etc.).

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 11
Rigorous testing is needed.
Proper 2-player testing will need to wait a while due to circumstances unfortunately.
randomized labyrinth at the start of each game or even some game modes of which one could include timely and recurring labyrinth path shifts (some entrances could close and others open etc.).
Its certainly a possibility that I'm looking into, but I'm not certain if it will be added anytime soon. Maybe when I'm able to properly test it I'll see.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Take Flight resets the cooldown of Sniff to 0 (is again ready to use).
Sniff doesn't always show the hobbit's location.
I suppose the breaking of the pillar is in Smaug's favour and the dragon can also jump over stuff which makes the gameplay harder for the hobbit, I guess.

So while the map is still quite simple and not that varied in terms of play means, it's nice and OK for
Approval.