1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Feature Discussion: Gaias and PvP/Minigames

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Zwiebelchen, Apr 15, 2014.

1. galactcus

galactcus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    so no prizes... maybe a feat achievement... with titles or just an quest feat for 100% of game played
    like that...

-10 points in curlling game (play the game!)
    -10 arena victorys (arena master!)
    -all quests done (gaia's keeper)
    -level 50 char (champion of gaia)
    -killed at least 1 of each gaias bosses (Justice has come!)
    -all map explored (explorer of world!)
    -all skills learned (open mind!)

and much more can be done... feats is a good way to see if you did everything in the map... ^^
    and all players that want to get all feats are forced to see everything that you made in the map haha :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. S0ulseeker

S0ulseeker

Resources:
    Resources:
    I kinda like the idea of feats and achievements. Maybe you could even limit certain things that aren't really a part of the game but just 'extra' content that can only be unlocked by obtaining these feats and unlocking the feats would be in its own right a reward since it'll unlock something, maybe a new way your hero looks or something cosmetically that doesn't necessarily affect the way the game is played or access to some mini games

3. Shamu

Shamu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just keep in mind that achievements actually should have to be achieved. There are games where you get an achievement for completing the tutorial. It makes me sad.

Exploring the map and completing all quests is only worth something if its not something you automatically do while levelling up and getting quest tokens. It would require some hidden areas and really hard quests, since otherwise everyone would just get it by accident.

Getting to level 50 doesn't seem really hard either, so what's the point in an achievement for it?

Killing bosses isn't bad as such, but it would be weird to have to go back to level 10 content and just slap them in the face for a second just for that. It would make more sense to reward killing the current hardest boss on ubermode (when/if ubermode is added), and if the map expands further you'd be unable to get it afterwards, but get a new one for the new current hardest boss. Or do something like in WoW where you have to do stuff during combat to get it, like let no NPC die at Hodir. And then there's always the zero-death hardmode run. I think those would be suited better than having to go back in the content to basically just kick some bosses in the face while they lie on the floor crying, which is no challenge at all.

Having to learn all skills is also a bit weird, since you'd already have your preferred build, and then you have to unlearn things, learn new skills, then unlearn these again and go back to the original build. Farming gold can be done in a solo game while you're afk doing something else, so you wouldn't have to put that much effort into it, its just a matter of resting once in a while and not forgetting about it.

Since achievements should only unlock fancy non-combat things, like "The glow of uberness" or "actually kinda cool supersoaker spell animation" or maybe a nerf-gun skin for rangers, all you get from it are bragging rights. And you can't usually brag with things that almost everyone does anyhow, like "I went to school on a monday and missed the weekend" or "I learned how to read at some point".

tl;dr: Achievements should only be given for difficult content or for gimping yourself beyond recognition and then doing normal content like that. And don't make people start a new character just so they can level naked to 50 for an achievement.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. PachaXD

PachaXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    talking about pvp

as a reward viable solution for pvp,( regardless if it comes as mini events,mini games, normal arenas or whatever you choose for it) have u tought about as gear with some new stats that will only be benefial againsts other players as rewards? i know still it may get to be abbused with save/load, but well we have only 3 loads, not that bad haha.... with this stats im talking about maybe %*specific dmg types*(or ALL dmg reduction from players) reduction against players, i still know it will be extremely hard to balance out this... but I would just LOVE to see a PvP into gaias that is more than cosmetic rewarded, would be great if you can figure out a way to make a playstile alternative to pve content

5. Shamu

Shamu

Resources:
    Resources:
    "I farm you, then you farm me" <= this needs to be avoided. And you don't have to reload more than once to abuse it. If you have a laptop and a PC you can even do it all by yourself. You can't add it before you solve this problem.
    The only working solution I've ever heard of so far was banning people for wintrading, but you can't do that here. But I'm really curious if someone finds another solution.

6. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd almost rather not see any pvp minigames or minigames just so zwieb could pool more of that time into better boss encounters or heroics, since it is now only zwieb currently working on the bulk of the project, and everything to do with jass.

Just restating that I would personally rather see zwiebs time that he puts into gaias put into better encounters rather than minigames that'd be cool for 5 minutes.

7. PachaXD

PachaXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    good point Ihaz...

8. PachaXD

PachaXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thats the point of making it work in a diferrent new way that will prevent that, not just an open arena

9. Shamu

Shamu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Any PvP can be abused like that, be it king of the hill, capture the flag or deathmatches or whatever. If you can just farm your twinks for free gear, then it doesn't work. If you make the PvP BiS gear free, then that would take away the fun of farming it in the first place.
    I don't see why zwieb would invest time into something that generates freeloot and isn't played properly.

I'm not saying PvP is bad though. If you can make a solid suggestion on how to prevent abuse, then go ahead. But it does seem quite impossible to make it foolproof. And it would probably take quite a while until he could get around to really implementing it.

10. PachaXD

PachaXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    I still rather having more PvE content than anything else, was just an open suggestion.
    Maybe if someday theres the day and if those pvp minigames gets to the actual game at least make a screen to show our "pvp stats" with wins/loses that kind of things, maybe some cool cosmetic things we can get

11. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Without forced saving, it's impossible. And while forced saving technically is possible, nobody can prevent you from just making a copy of the .txt file the game saves into.