1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice

Favor

Submitted by Explobomb
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Favor

Favor is a medieval RTS mod for Warcraft 3 with custom models, icons, map and gameplay.
The project started in 2017 as a 5 week portfolio project and has since then been upgraded and built on for the past 2 years. The mod was first released in 2017 and was given a lot of community feedback and has since then been balanced a lot more but there are most likely a few small bugs, flaws and balancing problems that still require some extra love. If you play the mod with friends, you are more than welcome to report bugs, balance problems or bugs in the comment section below.

The previous AI has been removed for the moment.
The mod features a re-designed gameplay experience with new units, upgrades, buildings and tech-tree.
Buildings, units and their respective textures are modelled and hand-painted by me with the exception of faces and a few textures borrowed from Warcraft 3.
The models are all rigged and animated after Warcraft 3 or World of Warcraft models.
  • Units

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
Footman: Cheap melee unit with hack attack. Cheap and effective basic unit.
Can be upgraded into Swordsman and later Vindicator.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
Spearman: Cheap melee unit with Piercing attacks particularly effective against cavalry units.
Can be upgraded to Pikeman and later Halberdier.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
Archer: Ranged unit, effective against infantry.
Can be upgraded to Marksman.
[​IMG]

Crossbow: Ranged unit with strong attack and decent health.
Have less range than Archers and Marksmen and slower reload speed.

[​IMG]
Scout: Fast light cavalry unit. It's speed makes it a perfect unit for exploring the map
and scouting key locations. Also effective as a cheap counter against infantry.

[​IMG]
Skirmisher: Fast spear-throwing cavalry units. Their ranged attack makes them effective at
harassment and guerilla warfare but their speed and effective attacks are balaned with low health.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
Cavalier: Heavy cavalry unit with strong attacks and large healthpool.
Perfect for trampling infantry and soaking damage. Can be upgraded to Knight.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
Lancer: Heavy anti-cavalry unit with piercing attacks.
Great cavalry counter, can easily deal with Skirmishers and Scouts if cornered. Can be upgraded to Paladin.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
Scorpion: Siege machine with piercing bolts, effective against infantry units and buildings.
Can be upgraded to Ballista.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
Onager: Siege machine perfect for besieging towns and cities from a distance.
Can be upgraded to Catapult.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Battering Ram: Slow melee siege unit effective against buildings.
Can be upgraded to Siege Ram.

[​IMG]
Cannon: Powerful siege unit available in the Kingdom age after researching Gunpowder.

[​IMG]

• Buildings
Town Center: The town's heart. Resource return point able to train workers.

House: Small building which increases your population cap.

Blacksmith: Upgrades your units armor.

Storage Camp: Resource return point.

Tower: Line of sight structure.
Can be upgraded to Guard Towers or Cannon Towers.

Palisade: Defensive structure to keep your enemies out.
Can be upgraded to Wall.

Garrison: Building with unique upgrades.
Can be upgraded into Rampart increasing it's health pool and allows it to use ranged attacks.

Barracks: Production building able to train Swordsmen, Pikemen and Scouts.

Archery Range: Production building able to train Archers and Crossbowmen.

Jousting Grounds: Production building able to train Cavaliers and Lancers.

Workshop: Production building able to build Scorpions, Onagers, Battering Rams and cannons.

Castle: A Massive defense structure with ranged attacks and a large health pool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Controls
-Zoom out :Zooms the camera back out to original position.
-Zoom in :Zooms the camera in for closer view position.
(Scrolling the mouse wheel will automatically give you the original Warcraft 3 camera.)

Credits:

World of Warcraft Icons - Blizzard Entertainment
Darkfang - AoE Icons (Iron Smelting, Saw, Crossbow)
Selection Circles V1.50 - Avatars Lord
Previews
Contents

Favor 2.0 (Map)

Reviews
A]mun
Bugfixes/Oddities: -Researching gunpowder enables cannon towers, but not the siege cannon unit. -Cavalier loses against two Scouts (scouts seem very tough with upgrades especially). -Walls take long to build, making it a chore. -Jousting cannot be...
Admiral Proudmoore
I have only four suggestions for this map. -Church building with priests that could heal and convert enemies to your side. -A marketplace.Nothing wrong with trading,right? -'Elite' unit at the castle.Right now it feels like castle is just...
deepstrasz
Please hide screenshots to avoid long opening threads. The loading screen description's title says Favor two times. You could change the screen into something more interesting: Simple Loading Screen You should change the 1 to 3 before the map's name...
deepstrasz
Author might be absent and the map is functional with some credits missing. Approved.
  1. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmmm can you post some more screenshots?

edit: okay i'm giving it a go

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Explobomb

Explobomb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Screenshots added, anything in particular you'd like to see?

3. Audun

Audun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really nice work, man! You seem to have put alot of energy into this! :) Keep it up!

4. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bugfixes/Oddities:
    -Researching gunpowder enables cannon towers, but not the siege cannon unit.
    -Cavalier loses against two Scouts (scouts seem very tough with upgrades especially).
    -Walls take long to build, making it a chore.
    -Jousting cannot be researched, although i have a castle and kingdom age.
    -Knights have less armor than Cavaliers?!
    -Battering ram corpse animation is bugged, keeps looping without dissolving into the ground.

Good:
    One worker can build all the buildings, switching between basic and advanced types.
    Distinct texture work and you did it all by yourself = props!

5. Explobomb

Explobomb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you for the feedback!

Will be fixed asap:
    Gonna check the armor of the Knights, probably a miss from my side when I tried to balance things.
    Will change the death animation of the Battering Ram to make sure it works properly.
    Jousting will be available once you reach Kingdom Age.
    The cannon unit will only require Gunpowder and not Kingdom Age.
    Gonna check the "Scout vs Cavalier" problem. Could lower the defense on the Scout nad perhaps lower the attack.?

Building walls are quite a chore indeed since it doesn't work as smooth as in AoE sadly.
    I guess it could be fixed through triggers, not handy enough to make it myself though.

Thank you! Took quite a while and a few late nights to fix the textures but really proud of the result even
    if it's not all used in the end.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    whoao, it's incredible that you did most of the resources for this map! GJ, this totally caught my atention *w*

7. Admiral Proudmoore

Admiral Proudmoore

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have only four suggestions for this map.

-Church building with priests that could heal and convert enemies to your side.
    -A marketplace.Nothing wrong with trading,right?
    -'Elite' unit at the castle.Right now it feels like castle is just to....well....to be there.
    -More unit upgrades.Why not give Crossbowman and Archer a new model instead of just upgarding them? (I'm reffering to Longbow and Iron Bolts.)
    -More unit stages.Look how many forms a simple swordsman had in AOE,from a simple milltia to Champion.

Other than this? Keep doing great work.

8. Explobomb

Explobomb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Since the amount of units you play with in WC3 are nowere near the scale of AoE2, training monks and converting only a few units would
    make a huge difference in a battle. I chose not to add them because of the balancing problem they'd add.
    I tried adding Clerics, Templars and even Wizards into the game whcih could be trained from a Chapel and Mage Spire but they were cut
    cause it didn't really feel right.

Completely agree with the Longbow and Iron Bolt upgrades, will most likely add a unique model for them in the future.
    Their unique models were sadly cut due to lack of time.

Adding a marketplace was planned to be able to trade wood foir gold, gold for stone etc
    but adding stone was sadly cut.
    Finding all the resources you need is important in Age of Empires but since Warcraft only make use of 2
    there's no need for extra things like trading carts/oxes to aquire what you need for later ages etc.

Agree with the Castle part. Was gonna add a Trebuchet and Siege Tower as 2 unique Castle units but they were removed due to lack of time,
    will definitely try and add a unique unit to the Castle in the future.
    Remember to build your Castle somewhere were it has range enough to protect resources or important buildings like Barracks, Jousting ground etc.
    Would it work if I moved the cannon from the Siege Workshop to the Castle?

I disagree with adding more unit stages. Age of Empire make good use of the stage system since they have so many
    different civs.
    For example if you were to remove certain upgrades for Archers, allowing all stages for Cavalry units and perhaps adding a civilization tech which decrease the cost of
    Light cavalry. That would make a huge difference in gameplay when playing that civilization.

Since there are no civilizations in Favor, I feel that upgrading your units to a third stage wouldn't make more difference than getting certain upgrades from the Blacksmith for example.

Adding different finctional civilizations as a part of the gameplay would however be interesting.

Thank you very much! Even though the mod is "finished" as a project I will keep on working on it on my free time, balancing, adding more units and updating it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  9. Admiral Proudmoore

Admiral Proudmoore

Resources:
    Resources:

-I understand your point about converting enemy units,it would probably result in mass monk strategy.But it's still not entirely bad idea.There is no need for magic or heroes,just add healing.Monks could have upgrades for more mana,faster movement speed or more health points or armor.A bit of healing is not a bad thing.It's way better than waiting for units health to regenerate.

-I'm okey with just gold and lumber but market could still prove useful.It never hurts to use trade when you have like 100 gold left and 1000 lumber,besides of that people love to see different buildings in the game.

-Actually? No,it wouldn't fix anything.Cannons can stay at the workshop.Nothing wrong with them.Just fix the bug that other guy mentioned to you.Also trebuchets wouldn't be a bad thing.A long ranged siege weapon is never a bad thing.Other thing....the elite unit that i've mentioned could be a anything,really.Just make two models for them.One for Normal version and Elite .You mentioned Templars and i actually believe that it's not a bad idea! Just make them into expensive unit with strong attack and defense.

-I believe that it can be fixed.For example? Allow barracks to be build in a first stage of the game just instead of swordman make Millitia unit that would be upgraded into swordsman and then Vindicator,same goes for Archer and crossbowman.Archer could be a Hunter and Crossbowman a spearthrower in their first version.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please hide screenshots to avoid long opening threads.
    The loading screen description's title says Favor two times. You could change the screen into something more interesting: Simple Loading Screen
    You should change the 1 to 3 before the map's name (in the editor) as this map can be played by three players, no?
    And why does the suggested players rubric say 1-8?

review
    Well, everyone plays the same faction and it's kind of FFA in the maximum number of players.
    The terrain is mostly flat and some places have no tile variation.
    Maybe some other neutral units than Scouts?
    Would be nice to have a third resource.
    It's somewhat weird you can research upgrades for troops before even being able to train them.
    Workers, Scouts and Swordsmen have the same attack value 6-7.
    Idle Workers have the Wisp icon.
    I suggest using unit icons for troops instead of them looking like swords, pikes which are things more suitable for upgrades.
    Build Wall appears in the Basic Build after switching back to it.
    I think it's neat that you can turn a Guard Tower into a Cannon Tower without having to build another tower.
    The problem with switching between build types is that it changes for every worker.
    Walls and Palisades cost the same amount. Upgrading Palisades to Walls costs extra cash though.
    The Crossbowman and the Archer models look weird.
    There's not too much difference between Crossbowmen and Archers. I guess Archers should shoot from a longer distance and Crossbowmen faster or harder?
    There is some glitch with switching build types. If build is pressed before the switch is done, it has to be pressed again as the buildings will remain as for the previous build type. It might happen during moving too, I think.
    I suggest putting the upgrades of the Garrison one row below since the Attack and Stop commands of the Rampart will get in between the upgrade icons.
    The Castle also trains Cavaliers. The Cartography upgrade could be placed more on the left instead of under the Stop command.
    Researching Gunpowder in the Rampart doesn't enable the training of Cannons in the Workshop.
    With Castle and the last age reached, the Jousting upgrade cannot be researched.
    You could just fix the race as Human to avoid the others as announcer soundset and idle worker icon.

Please included everything out of WcIII used in the credits list, that includes sounds.

Overall a really good map with AI as bonus.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

If you want more reviews, come here:
    The Grand Review Exchange!

Set to Awaiting Update.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  11. Explobomb

Explobomb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you for testing the map!

Great to get so much feedback, tips and bug findings from the community!
    Justwhat I need to improve the mod!
    Does not only help with the map but this helps a ton with documentation I'm doing for the project.

The map used to be a 8 player map but was made smaller because of mechanics and balancing reasons, my bad.
    There used to be a neutral castle in the middle, something that could be added again perhaps?
    Will also add some more mines with Swordsmen, Pikemen and alike when the map is remade.
    Will update it to make it a large 8 player map with variation in the terrain and layout.

Initially planned to have a third resource in form of iron but it had to be cut. Something I'd like to look into again though.

The Gunpowder and Jousting upgrades have allready been taken care of and will be included in the next update.
    Good eye with the icon placement, will be changed.

The Crossbowman and Archer where designed to fill just those roles.
    Gonna test their damage and range and make sure they feel like unique units.

Changing between basic and advanced buildings is indeed a little wonky atm, gonna see what I can do to make it smoother.
    Making triggers isn't my strongest side, sorry ^^'

There were some interesting conversations about the faces of the units in my classroom, will update them.

Gonna go through this point by point and make the necessary changes sometime during the weekend and
    update the Project page here on Hiveworkshop with Screenshots, links, changelog etc.
    Will look through the links you sent me and see what I can do to improve the overall look.

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I guess, that would center the game on it for some reasons like it giving resources or something. I wouldn't recommend it. Instead of only having Scouts you could add other units as well or even add totally different units than what the players can train (maybe wild animals or thieves or something).
    Yes, space is needed especially for armies and siege units.
    You could have more variations of the mod, eg: this map, some other map/version etc.

13. Explobomb

Explobomb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Someone seem to have added 2 of Mephestrials mdoels and 2 of Tranquil as part of resources are incorrect, they were merely placeholder models.
    The map has been updated and longer contain these.

A few of the mentioned updates have been taken care of with icon placements, a few tweaks in damage etc.
    Quite busy with work atm which sadly means it might take a few weeks untill a new update arrives.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  14. Gumberbunbder

Gumberbunbder

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I like your map, the model art is very pleasing.

Things to change/add
    • One thing to fix would be the scouts animation move speed. It could be lowered because right now the horse takes too many steps for the distance it covers, so make it more of a longer stride gallop.
    • You definitely should implement the use of QWER hotkeys. The 4 column by 3 row layout of WC3's button UI is perfect for this and it makes gameplay much smoother when you don't need to remember all kinds of bizzare letters.
      [​IMG]
    • Perhaps add a custom music track, that would really up the atmosphere
    • Cavalry seem to be weak against archers, is this intended? Or at least scouts take extra damage from piercing. You could change archer or pike attack type to magic or chaos type and edit the game constants and interface to make a new attack type. That way archers could have their own attack type that is good against swordsmen, but weak against cavalry.
    Also, will you be adding god powers or a favor system? The game name implied this sort of thing. It would be pretty cool.

I really enjoyed the custom unit models and the addition of age of empires unit sounds. I can never get custom unit soundsets to work for me so I have given up entirely, good job! Especially cool battering ram! I think if you were willing to sacrifice the wc3 AI, it would really improve the game to have a third resource and make resource gameplay a significant factor.

15. Explobomb

Explobomb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Scouts speed looks a little fast, thank you.

Using other hotkeys could perhaps speed up the gameplay and allow people to be more efficient, I'll think about it.

I would love to have a custom track playing. Problem is that it would take too much space to allow the mod to be played over battlent.
    Depends on what kind of people play it and were, if it's played on LAN more music could definitely be a thing.

The archers currently use the same damage % as the Pikemen, Halberdier and Crossbowmen with their own custom damage type.
    Could look into that when I have time and make them slightly less effective.

The game idea was supposed to be something like Age of Mythology with Collosi, Hydras, the choise of following
    certain gods for each age and unique upgrades but it was a bit too massive to handle.
    Had a few ideas of adding myth units for each age with some unique upgrades to spice the mod up but we'll see.

Thank you! Really wanted the custom models to work to be able to create textures and such without having too much trouble figuring out were things were on the footman, transplanting meshes etc.
    To import your own sounds:
    1. Enter the sound editor (F5) and pick a sound you'd like to change. (For example Units -> Creeps -> Archnathid -> ArachnathidWhat1.wav)
    2. Right click the sound and click Replace Internal Sound.
    3. Choose the sound you'd like to use instead (must be WAV if it's a sound and MP3 if it's music)
    4. Save the map and restart, nothing has to be changed in the Import Manager.

It appears that some sounds seem to be a bit too loud for the game and are automatically turned off.

16. RollBoat

RollBoat

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Will you upload the models,pretty amazing stuff!

17. Explobomb

Explobomb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have no current plans of uploading the models.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Credits still have to be given in the map thread descriptions: models, sounds etc. not only icons.

Awaiting Update.

19. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I think that he didn't give credits for those because he actually made them himself