• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Evolve

Reactions: twojstaryjakcie
JaysProjex Presents

Evolve
Created by Jay

Map Info

1-5 Players (Monster Versus Hunters)

Evolve (Based on the game)

Game:
4 Hunters Versus 1 Monster [Hunt or be Hunted]
Lasts 25 minutes, Hunters win if Monster does not complete objectives.

Objectives:
Monster - Evolve to stage 2 --> stage 3, then destroy the power relay or slay all 4 Hunters
Hunters - Track & Hunt the Monster, if Monster Evolves to stage 3, defend the power relay.

Monster:
Hunt wildlife & eat corpses to Evolve to stage 2 & stage 3, watch out for the Hunters

Hunters:
There are 4 Hunter Classes (Assault, Support, Trapper, & Medic) every Hunter is required to take down the Monster (team effort)
When a Hunter dies it is returned to the dropship where a timer starts a countdown, after the countdown is complete you will revive at the nearest dropship location.

Assault: (Parnell) Has absorbtion shield, with damaging abilities.
Support: (Hank) Keep your allies shielded, use orbital strikes to keep the Monster at bay
Trapper: (Griffin) Has tracking abilities & a harpoon gun to slow & hinder the Monsters movement
Medic: (Val) Keeps your allies alive by healing them with med gun or healing burst

Am I going to continue adding more Monsters & Hunters? Absolutely, stay tuned

Requirements

• Warcraft III The Frozen Throne

Credits

Testers
  • Dheeman
  • Tens

Models
  • JetFangInferno
  • Illidan(Evil)X
  • Sir_Raziel
  • Will The Almighty
  • CreatorD3292
  • olofmoleman
  • The_Silent
  • alfredx_sotn
  • Fingolfin
  • Callahan
  • kellym0
  • Oniwaga
  • theJ89
  • Kimbo
  • Solu9
  • ApeJI
  • ILH
  • Blizzard Entertainment
Made a model but you're missing from the list? Send me a message!

Icons:

• Blizzard Entertainment

Contents

Evolve (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Seems you've not added all credits, for instance the first two here: Resources in Use by Evolve | HIVE Check the whole list to be sure. Awaiting Update.
twojstaryjakcie
The map definitely has a distinct atmosphere - the colour scheme, the threat of a monster lurking nearby and the unsettling the music in the background certainly make the players feel uneasy and cautious of their surroundings. However, in spite of the...
Rennathrim
Alright. Checked it, downloaded, played with a few friends. Game ended very quickly. Really all we had to do was just gang up on the monster in the early game and we just won, simple as that with no casualties. I say you should perhaps up the...
Paillan
Reviewed after a ton of time. The reason for the delays were multiple tests. While I find the map enjoyable and fun, I also find it rather too quick and too easy to defeat the monster. This is an issue of unit control and monster management of course...
Daffa
The gameplay ends fast if monster player is not skilled enough to escape and hide till he's strong or sneaks enemies out with one by one pick tactic. Hotkey can be changed to more standardized ones like QWER AZER or ZXCV Dome ability is quite...
Level 12
@deepstrasz

Some of those models aren't even in the map, thats a hive issue, it's been like this for awhile & I'm surprised for as long as you've been a map reviewer you still don't know this, it's nothing personal but I find your experience lacking especially due to previous settings & I feel like you've learned nothing, I have the right to express my opinion & to be blant I don't like you as a map reviewer or you on the matter, as my credit list says if I missed anyone then send me a message.

A mod can feel free to delete this post but I'm done trying to prove my work to Mister Deepstrasz, I've been a member of Warcraft III for over +12 years (not hive specifically) but you sir do nothing but complicate things & I'm so sick of it.

I want another map reviewer to review any of my work, until then I'm done here.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Some of those models aren't even in the map, thats a hive issue, it's been like this for awhile & I'm surprised for as long as you've been a map reviewer you still don't know this, it's nothing personal but I find your experience lacking especially due to previous settings & I feel like you've learned nothing, I have the right to express my opinion & to be blant I don't like you as a map reviewer or you on the matter, as my credit list says if I missed anyone then send me a message.

A mod can feel free to delete this post but I'm done trying to prove my work to Mister Deepstrasz, I've been a member of Warcraft III for over +12 years (not hive specifically) but you sir do nothing but complicate things & I'm so sick of it.

I want another map reviewer to review any of my work, until then I'm done here.
Work on your attitude. How am I to know you have not missed any resources? And yes, I gave you a message here just in case so you would take another look. Please stop being so superior. You're only being ridiculous.

Very well, that's how you should start it as normal human being, ask for another reviewer instead of writing nonsense. Thank you.

Level 12

I've never seen a map reviewer tell anyone they need to finish a credit list with models that aren't even in the map. Past reviewers would of easily let that slide you're just too strict about everything. I also have never had so many complications with any other reviewer except for you.

Thanks for the 0 rep again, seriously grow up.

Last edited:
Level 8
The map definitely has a distinct atmosphere - the colour scheme, the threat of a monster lurking nearby and the unsettling the music in the background certainly make the players feel uneasy and cautious of their surroundings. However, in spite of the well-made ambience, the map feels lacking as its mechanics are way too simple and its gameplay variety is almost nonexistent. Still, the first few games were indeed enjoyable, but that's about it, at least at the map's current stage.

Gameplaywise, each playthrough is going to be similar since there is neither any hunter nor monster variation. Once players understand the core mechanics of the game, there's literally nothing that changes - hunters have the advantage at the start of the game, while the monster becomes a near unstoppable threat after reaching level 3. Same goes for the animals and plants throughout the map - there is simply too little variety to keep players entertained for more than one or two games.

As for the monster, I was really expecting features similar to those in the original game - being able to choose between different evolutions depending on your preferred playstyle or your opponents' strategy. Unfortunately, you simply get bigger each time you evolve which definitely seems quite underwhelming, especially when one considers how much effort has been put into the map's creation - it would really seem like a waste not to include at least a few paths which the monster can take while leveling up.

The hunters could also have access to some different combat options. Right now, everyone is equipped with the same weapon - that could surely be improved. As for the abilities, I think that there's enough of them to keep players busy with what they're already given.

While the map is big and vastly populated, it feels too plain at the same time. Due to the fact that both hunters and the monster can pass through most obstacles, there is virtually no possibility of trapping your opponent in a corner or a tight chokepoint, which to certain extent also takes away from the gameplay experience. Apart from that, the trees, while very fitting in terms of the models used, seem to be too much of a vision obstacle - I'd suggest either reducing their size or using models with smaller treetops, so that players don't lose track of their units so often. Removing some of the trees is also an option, but that would in turn make the map look more barren, I suppose.

Lastly, I suggest switching the hotkeys to QWER ZXCV for every unit - it's just more intuitive for new players to use these hotkeys instead of learning them every time they play a new map. Additionally, taking how short the games are into account, an option of restarting the game would also seem like a good idea, especially since having to remake the lobby every 10-minutes feels rather unreasonable.

All in all, the map certainly has potential to become very entertaining if at least some of the aforementioned issues are adressed. However, for the time being, Evolve is just too rough of a map to be considered enjoyable.

Last edited:
Level 9
Alright. Checked it, downloaded, played with a few friends. Game ended very quickly. Really all we had to do was just gang up on the monster in the early game and we just won, simple as that with no casualties. I say you should perhaps up the difficulty of killing the monster a little, sure, the monster is meant to be for the late game due to it having to eat evolve, but rushes are so easy its not even funny.

The map has a neat idea taken from the game Evolve which is honestly awesome, just due to how under-rated the game is and its neat to see it get some love. Either way, this map has potential. Also, why is like 1/3rd of the map set off by boundaries? Couldn't you like...idk, expand the map a little?

Also regarding on the topic that happened not too long ago (I have an issue of raising old arguements from their graves, don't hang me for it), deepstrasz is a Map Reviewer, he is doing his job. And crediting everyone that has their skin, model, etc in your map specifically is required, as set in the hive rules. It happens to close to everyone that they miss a resource, if you didn't, good job, don't throw a hissy fit about it and start yelling about wanting another reviewer.

Will rate once approved by the reviewers, and perhaps the difficulty rises a little.

Level 12
Alright. Checked it, downloaded, played with a few friends. Game ended very quickly. Really all we had to do was just gang up on the monster in the early game and we just won, simple as that with no casualties. I say you should perhaps up the difficulty of killing the monster a little, sure, the monster is meant to be for the late game due to it having to eat evolve, but rushes are so easy its not even funny.

There are players exceptionally good at monster & can fully evolve to stage 3. The games do end rather quick though so I will take note of it.

The map has a neat idea taken from the game Evolve which is honestly awesome, just due to how under-rated the game is and its neat to see it get some love. Either way, this map has potential.

This is exactly the kind of response I like seeing, thanks!

Also, why is like 1/3rd of the map set off by boundaries? Couldn't you like...idk, expand the map a little?

It was used as pre-domed areas but since then I have made a new doming system which no longer requires that area so it looks un-used, I do plan on extending the map though.

Also regarding on the topic that happened not too long ago

I've had multiple encounters with him, I'm not here to cause another scene, further more I will disregard this.

Last edited:
Level 19
Reviewed after a ton of time.
The reason for the delays were multiple tests.
While I find the map enjoyable and fun, I also find it rather too quick and too easy to defeat the monster. This is an issue of unit control and monster management of course, wich is mostly dependant on player skill. This can of course be improved.
Just a final note, I would suggest you change the shortkeys to the standard QWERT for easier reability on keys.

Set to Pending
======================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Last edited:
Level 21
I've played the original for some matches (when it went free to play) and found it lacking in terms of depth quickly.
When thinking about Godzilla, Cloverfield, Alien/Predator and similar monster-centered movies/games, one quickly comes to realize that there is not enough going on in Evolve.

So i think you need to implement ability choices for monster evolutions at the very least.

Anyway, it's fun for a round or two!

1. The gameplay ends fast if monster player is not skilled enough to escape and hide till he's strong or sneaks enemies out with one by one pick tactic.
  2. Hotkey can be changed to more standardized ones like QWER AZER or ZXCV
  3. Dome ability is quite dangerous, especially since it's available in the beginning
  4. Evolve ability seems to miss hotkey
  5. Since plants isn't part of evolution (as they cannot be consumed), would be nice to have a little lower number at the beginning for Monster (maybe 10 instead of 12?)
  6. After a few tests, it starts to get repetitive, maybe some evolution choice for monster and more option for hunters?
There are no major issues on the map as far as testing goes. Gameplay can use more polish though, and hopefully, there will be more polishing in the future.

NOT RATED (though it's on lower boundaries due to gameplay, just sayin')
APPROVED

Last edited:
Level 6
There is alot of stuff that I would do in order to make this map better.

1. Get some kind of score counter for the eat ability so you actaully know how many pigs you have eaten
  2. It seems that if you kill 2 or more pigs at the same spot and eat the ability only counts as used one time even tho it ate up all of the corpses
  3. Starter cinematic or atleast some help text so that you know what to do. The monster has no idea that he can't eat plants or that he actually wins if he defeats the power plant
  4. Get basic hotkeys for the abilities and use some colorcode to make them look prettier
  5. Why can everyone walk over all of the terrain? I belive that in this kind of game mode it is very important for the monster to be able to actually hide by goin up a cliff or hide around trees.
  6. There should be tracks like illidan footsteps after the monster so that you can track him down if you are close, or atleast I think there should be tracks for level 2 and 3.
  7. Too make it feel better to level up I think that the damage should scale and that also the abilities scale.
  8. Put the Evolve logo in the loading screen with more text on what to do, everyone has not played evolve and knows what to do.
  9. Do the oposit to Vampire Fire (Might be misspelled) and make the Monster spawn first and the Humans like 15 sec later so the monster choses where to go. Spawning in the same place on the left side just feels weird because the humans will just run there immediatly.

Level 12
There is alot of stuff that I would do in order to make this map better.

I'm sure there is as it's not a finished map, most of my latest maps where experimental, I stopped working on maps due to bots flooding battle net as you can see I have edited & retired all of my projects. I do this as a hobby whether it gets updated or not I no longer provide things like when my project gets updated. Hive has stricter policys & moderators at that which I simply don't have the time to answer for, it took 5 reviewers to review this project I barely changed a thing since then, 5 months later, all the sudden it's approved.

To answer some questions

1. Never finished, pigs were not ideal for a score counter it was simply to get it started.
2. This is incorrect, it counts all of them
3. I've already added plenty of text displays, consider taking the time to read tool-tips even if the game has already started.
4. Skipping
5. It's not possible to have a smooth movement system in this type of engine, it has it's limits
6. Never finished, the goliath has them though
7. Never finished, monsters were suppose to get abilities that scaled
8. I've already added plenty of text displays
9. I don't understand this question maybe it's out of context? The spawning works just like in the game, the monster spawns in the corner & has 3 possible routes to choose from, hunters have to guess which route the monster took, the monster should not be attacking hunters early game.

This map is a learning experience, you can't expect everyone to learn by reading text, any map author will tell you that's hardly the case.