1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Eden - Episode I

Submitted by Elf_Lord
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Hello, everyone. Many of you probably don't know me, and if you do, it's probably from the super bad cinematic I posted awhile back called Mark of Doom. If you are reading this, please don't watch Mark of Doom. Seriously. Take it from the creator. It's terribad. It's so cliche that it's not even funny. I just have no idea how to take it down. :p

In light of this, however, I decided that I ought to contribute a more worthwhile cinematic to the Hive, so this summer I started a cinematic series called Eden, following a young woman named Blythe in what is roughly the early Victorian era (save in my own little made-up world) being paid by a mysterious third party to discover a dark secret hidden on the island of Eden. I was very proud of the result, and I was planning to continue going once I had finished finding voice actors for the first installment. However, my old campaign project Chasing the Dawn had started to get some attention again so I divided my focus and ultimately spelled the doom of both projects. I now have no time to continue either series. I do believe that the first episode is still worth watching, though, so I leave it here for you. Judge for yourself.

EDEN - EPISODE I
[​IMG]

The year is 1837. The Kingdom of Dantany, ruled by the benevolent Queen Adriane I, has now fully recovered from the Pyle-Dantish War, a narrow victory for the fledgling empire, and is beginning to spread its imperialistic roots out across the continent. Explorers and colonists, funded by the Crown and private investor alike, eagerly navigate the globe in search of new lands, new opportunities, and new wealth. But the mysterious island of Eden holds a wealth of a different kind, one shrouded in rumor and legend. The Queen has dispatched her most loyal commander, Admiral Jeremiah Hooke, to bring this island, and whatever treasures may hide within, into the fold, no matter the cost.

Meanwhile, a young woman named Blythe sails across from the mainland, bearing nothing but a stack of papers left for her in her lodgings, promising to relieve her of her substantial debts and pay her handsomely besides if she would travel to the island of Eden and do whatever job was asked of her by her mysterious employer upon arrival. Driven by desperation, Blythe will soon find herself in a dangerous game against the Royal Navy, entangled in the search for a power far greater than any on Earth...

Keep in mind that this is not intended as an epic fantasy action cinematic. While there are some action sequences (particularly planned ones in later episodes), this is intended to be much more character-driven and thematic than anything else (hence why voice-acting was so important to me).

KNOWN ISSUES:
-The Priest, Mr. Boston, and Simon do not have voice actors yet. I unfortunately could not find anyone whose voice fit them well, and I can't hold off posting this because of that issue any longer. If I find actors, I will update this.
-Because I know this will come up... yes, you can skip the cinematic. Just hit ESC. You just can't skip during the credits. If you've made it through the entire cinematic, you should be able to make it through a few minutes of credits. The work of those contained therein was invaluable to this being made.

SCREENSHOTS
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

CREDITS
Alex Brown - Voice acting
Madison Parker - voice acting
Phoenix Catinella - voice acting
BrunuhVille - Opening Music (sound)
Mike Koenig - Thunder SFX (sound)
Sound Effects Central - Grandfather Clock SFX (sound)
Blizzard - Put Out Cigar (sound), Northrend Music (sound)
Adrian von Ziegler - Harbor Intro (sound)
#1 in Sound Effects - Ship in Storm (sound)
Ramin Djawadi - When the Sun Rises in the West (sound)
Soundjay - Door Knock (sound), Footsteps (sound)
Soundbible - Slide (sound)
SFX Planet - Scroll Drop (sound)
EffectsLibrary - Lighting Match (sound)
tillinghast - Jaina Formal (model)
67chrome - Blood Elf Sorceress (texture), Cleric (texture)
Lord_T - Privateer (model), Hero Pirate Musketeer (model)
paulH - Kul Tiras Sailor (model)
Mike - Building models (model), Fountain (model)
HerrDave - Uhlan (model), Bell Tower (model), Gibbet (model), Bishop (model)
BlinkBoy - Napoleonic Skirmisher (model)
Mr.Goblin - Proudmoore (texture)
Stanakin - Pirate Captain (texture)
Freddyk - Gunslinger Officer (model)
ket - Mage Hunter (model), Green Curtain (model)
Blood Raven - Backgammon Set (model), Pendulum Clock (model), Tankard (model)
-=Emergenzy=- - Castle Wall (model)
MassiveMaster - Citizen House (model), Fortifications (model)
Tenebrae - RPG Villager (model)
Uncle Fester - Combat Knife (model)
xXm0RpH3usXx - Various doodad sets (model)
Wisdom - Deckard Cain (texture)
Graber - Depot (model)
Tranquil - Castle doodads (model), Lightning (model)
Fingolfin - Trees (model)
Illidan(Evil)X - Flag (model), Stormy Castle Citadel (model)
Direfury - Admiral Proudmoore (model)
Olofmoleman - Hobbiton Doodads (model), Ship Doodads (model)
IrBat - Dark Jaina (texture)
Assassin - soulreaver6 (model) - editing permission?
Pinachet - Picture Box (model)
Kitabatake - Quarterstaff (model)
Yayoi - Signpost (model)
Grey Knight - Tavern Tables (model)
Mr. Bob - Ships (model)
hortaxman - Well (model), Roof (model)
Nasrudin - Indoor models (model)
Felz_09 - Crack Dirt (texture), Prehistoric Grass (texture)
dhguardianes - Ashen Dirt-Grass (texture)
CloudWolf - Gilneas Buildings (texture)
Sin'dorei300 - Door (model)
oBs3rv3r - Mat (model)
darkdeathknight - Stalls (model)
Ribenamania - Stalls (model)
Deolrin - Stall (model)
Winterhalter - Queen Victoria painting (texture)
Steve Payne - Celebrity General painting (texture)
Online Galleries - Bible (texture)
Soundbible - Door Squeak (sound)
Chriz. - Gallows (model), Key (model)
Pins - Old Human Mage (texture)
Max Ablitzer - Wolf Song (sound)
My Free Textures - Parchment (texture)
Jojikiba - Horse Hooves (sound), Clinking Glass (sound)
PCWallart - Forest (texture)
Fantasy Festival - Tricorner Hat (texture)
Videezy - Rain (texture)
The Hobbit - Mountain Island (texture)

I'm not sure how to credit Mila Kunis's face. But yes. That is her face. Photoshop is a wonderful thing.
Contents

Eden - Episode I (Map)

1. Zenonoth

Zenonoth

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello, just tested this map, here's my review.

What can I say?

+ Decent voice acting

+ Decent camera triggers
    + Decent terrain
    + Decent storyline

Overall, I'll rate this map 5/5 vote for approval and +Rep, you can also tell me if you dislike my rating/comment and I'll gladly remove them both.

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Roughly 4/5 for the atmosphere.
    -animation freezes for both Blythe and the guardsman after she gives the papers to him
    -the priest is not saying anything and the people are just looking at him while Blythe passes by
    -there's no noise/talking in the inn

3. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @deepstrasz you have just pointed out two of the big instances where I'm lacking voice-acting. The in-game tavern noises made it sound like there were too many people but clearly silence isn't good either. I think I noticed the animation freeze before. I can take care of that quickly.
    @Zenonoth Thanks for the review! This storyline had places to go that would make it more interesting (or at least more clear) but alas I have no time.

4. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'm agree with Zenonoth! This is a nice map.Good work, Elf_Lord.
    4/5

5. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Trying to review this in detail without giving away spoilers is night on impossible.
    Hence I will try to be as vague as possible when discussing this map.
    Also means that won't be a lot to discuss.

Atmosphere is great, personally liked how lightning bolts were strategically used for dramatic effect.
    I also very much enjoyed the theme and the world presented here. The town is presented to feel suitably isolated; which due to certain plot points I thought as very apt.
    Character lines were well timed and delivered, I didn't notice any voice over issues such as odd pauses and the like.
    The lack of voice over for certain sections is rather jarring, especially considering the quality of the rest of the map at hand. That said, very few cinematics are fully voiced and the quality overall shown here (Im my opinion) overrides any sore spots caused by said areas.

6. Zoren

Zoren

Resources:
    Resources:
    A review for you.

Lovely cinematic you got here.
    Terrain was decent. I feel like some of it is somewhat lacking but its probably because of the
    plot that the island is isolated as Kino said so it is acceptable. The indoor designs is between good and decent. The painting really look good but a bit off. I feel like it's too realistic of a painting for a WC3 cine because that's a real life human. That's just painting though. Not a big deal.

The voices were good. I liked it. But some of them don't have a voice (As you mentioned) and it kinda drive me off from what's happening because I have to read the subtitles. Dialogs were great. It is realistically done especially the dialogs of those sailors.

The storyline. I don't really know about this since there's not a lot told about this part of the series but its acceptable since it is just the first episode of the series (And hopefully a lot more to come)

Atmosphere is the thing I liked the most. Great work here. There's nothing I can say about it.

Also, I love the little things you did with those animations. You managed to use those shitty animations.

Overall, I'll give a 4/5. Keep up the great work! I'll give you a 5/5 when those voice acting are done. +rep to keep your motivation up :)

7. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Now, this is a very good cinematic map. It has a very promising take in the story where things are covered in mystery such as the mysterious employer of Blythe, the great riches of Eden and etc.

The terrain for most of the part is great. The way how you set up the tone of the atmosphere was also well done (darker tone, decent lighting but could use a bit of light at some dark parts of the scenes).

Dialogues are pretty good and fits each and every personalities of different characters shown. The voice acting is decent but could use some more emotions to some. Blythe looks decent but I honestly find it a bit bland at some points but some were masterfully done. And I do know that you are aware of some characters missing some voice acting. Hopefully something will be added on the next parts of this story. There could also be some noises or dialogues from the priest among the crowd plus some crowd noises to add a better tone to the atmosphere.

Animation for the most part is good but there are some noticeable lags as stated above by someone and some animations seems too weird or shall we say.. quite forced but it's not much of an issue though since that happens. Warcraft has a very limited take to animations unless the models comes with custom detailed animations.

Music is honestly good. Gives this feeling of suspense at least for me. Pretty dark especially for the credits part. Did you got it from the net or something that you or someone made? Quite interested to know.

Anyway, this deserves a 4/5. Some minor issues but everything is good. Great job!

8. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is this meant to be real world or your own? Because I see you mentioned year and so.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Is there an island of Eden in our world?
    Anyways, even Warcraft has eras. Other fictional universe games too.

10. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ah I thought Eden was just the name of cinematic.

11. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Reserved.

Edit: Sorry, too late.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. Sclammerz

Sclammerz

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Pretty good cinematic. I was captivated by the story and the scenes were well done.
    The music really feels mysterious which is good. The terrain is decent and I really like the atmosphere here.
    Voice acting is somehow special though some characters don't have it which is a bit disappointing.
    Well done! :)

13. Rence Kristoff

Rence Kristoff

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even if two characters had no voice actors, and I didn't understand what this was about, I can say this is a very good cinematic.

14. Elf_Lord

Elf_Lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, wow, haven't had the chance to check this in a while, but I am blown away by all the comments! Let's see what I can respond to...

The world is my own but based in reality. I hesitate to give up the creative freedom to craft my own history of the world, but there are certainly deliberate parallels. Dantany (the kingdom Hooke serves) is very much the British Empire. The queen pictured in Hooke's office is in fact Queen Victoria - simply photoshopped to give her a slightly different appearance. Basically this world is an altered reflection of our own at the time. In this world, Eden was a name given to the island (well, really to the outpost, Fort Eden) by the Dantish government after the Garden of Eden.

As for the voice acting, I moved across the country part of the way through making this cinematic, and all of my actors were local, so I didn't get the chance to finish recording everything. If I have time to continue going with this series, I will re-release this with voice-acting for the three characters I missed, as well as the unfinished background noise of the tavern and such.

I realize the plot is very... ambiguous at this point. I fully intend(ed) to make a full series out of this whenever I have the time to sit down and devote more time to it, and one pet peeve I often have with series like this is that the answer to the mystery or the way to the goal is obvious, if not outright stated, to the audience from the get-go. Therefore I decided that, since Blythe doesn't know what her objective is yet, neither does the audience. We will get to discover it with her.

All music is from either YouTube or Newgrounds (with the exception of Hooke's theme, which is from Game of Thrones).

I also realize the limitations of WarCraft III unit animation and have tried to work around it as best I can, but there is only so much I can do without special models built for this purpose. My modeling skills are rudimentary at best (I built a working gate once and that's about it) so I don't feel qualified to scratch animate human beings. If anyone knows a good place to get such models for free, I will certainly consider it. Realism is important to me.

Thank you all very much for your interest and I'm glad you enjoyed the first episode! Hopefully there will be more to come soon!

EDIT: One thing I might do in order to prevent voice acting meltdowns like this in the future is I might script the entire series in advance and do one big cast reading sometime over Christmas when I'm back in my hometown. Again, this largely depends on how much time I have and my ability to work around people's schedules. If I can accomplish this, though, expect episodes to come out much more frequently.

15. Michael the Boombringer

Michael the Boombringer

Resources:
    Resources: