• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dutch Researcher Created A Super-Influenza Virus With The Potential To Kill Millions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
DSG here is going down the right path. The big reason most infectious diseases are engineered to be even more deadly, is so that the scientists can find the cures for those new strains, before they pop up in the population.

Bacteria and Viruses don't have the most sturdy genetic structures, and mutate often. That's how MRSA came around, a mutation of some lower grade strep bug. Viruses and bacteria mutate to resist medicines and immune systems constantly, only reason they are not purely extinct. So you gotta have the cure/vaccine/what ever, for the disease before it even exists.

Level 23
I don't really care about his research, if it can end up killing a million. Hell, if it could kill a thousand, I'd say destroy the damn thing.
Seriously, they know the hysteria they create when releasing information like this.
And what if he made his research public? Then what.. Hello terrorist?
Though I doubt this man is stupid enough to release the research. After all, he was able to create a super virus..

Still, my opinion stands. Find whatever you are looking for in that damn thing, and then kill it. I wouldn't mind as much if researches like this was carried out on isolated islands, far away, so the chances of a world epedemic, if the accident accured and it got released, was less likely.
But it's in fucking europe, and the netherlands is fucking close to denmark! D:
KILL ET.

Level 22
You guys worry too much, but I agree that bio weapon is times more serious than a nuclear. And what do humans fear mostly? The unknown. When you don't know when something happens. That's good, should play with one's mind like that.

I have to check the credibility of this article, not to say the 'used as a weapon' part, I think the media is overreacting. Enjoy life, forget about this fear mongering. ZOMBIEPOCALYPSE!

Level 30
I just got a very nice theory from my sister.

She says that the "World Endings" and "Bio hazard Viruses" are made with purpose. Some of them are delusional, some not. Well, honestly, most are just very well developed illusions.

When such a thing is predicted, people tend to panic. I admit I had my own minute of mindless shock, before I talked to sis.

Her opinion is that these things are simple ecological economical tricks, to increase or reduce selling / buying price of something, or prolonged win (for creators of theories) on the stock markets. I completely agree with this.

All in all, I think I survived... Let's say, about twenty world endings until this very day. I have two explanations, the one above, or that nothing, including such danger, could succeed in Serbia.

Interesting readings, to put a smile on your face.

Level 22
Meh. We survived Justin Beaver, we'll survive this even if it gets released. I highly doubt it'll be released though. This is research into viruses, and the virus was never intended to be released upon us.

Stop with the hysteria guys.

Level 15
What kind of sick individual would wanna create a modified virus, this news makes me wonder that all the video game zombie shits like Resident Evil could happen. Next thing I'll know that they made a flu and rabies mix virus that turns people into flesh eating zombies!

I just don't see the reason why make a modified disease, authorities should ban this guy's work.

Level 22
I just thought of a connection. Have you heard of the Denver Int Airport mysteries? I've been to that airport. These pics here according to some who analyzed them are representing what The Powers Thet Be will be doing with the population in the not so far future.

denver-airport-mural.jpg

According to analyzers of this mural, the mask of that soldier represents a protection frm a biological weapon, the bird of peace is well.. killed (like talking about a new War) the mural itself along with the other murals showing the death of specific races or people from it are at least UNwelcoming. I don't know why they ever bothered to put such pictures there.

Now while this could be simply artist expression of a fictious scenario, don't you think that with such weapon, what these murals show could actually be made true even if they are not representing anything now?

That's why if this can be made a weapon, it better not but don't worry! It will likely turn out to be all an overexaggeration as it usually happens. Srsly, I don't buy them, if one thing, all such stories turned out to be overreaction :>

Level 30
7 000 000 000 000 people are currently in the world. We are not talking about millions. We are talking about 4 500 000 000 000 (approximation) fallen ones.

But I guess it would hit the news quite fast, unless this is fake or not revealed yet. Media should have grabbed this on the loose, before us. I wonder what that means...

Level 17
What kind of sick individual would wanna create a modified virus, this news makes me wonder that all the video game zombie shits like Resident Evil could happen. Next thing I'll know that they made a flu and rabies mix virus that turns people into flesh eating zombies!

I just don't see the reason why make a modified disease, authorities should ban this guy's work.
Authorities should dismember him...

If Riot's points are wrong and the scientist and his claims are legit, and if DSG's points are wrong and the virus is capable of evil mass destruction, and if I'm wrong and the scientist somehow doesn't get imprisoned, shot, burnt, raped in the ass, and shot again, and if countries randomly decide to drop all sorts of quarantine and can't be arsed to try find a cure, then yeah, I'd assume that 4.5 billion people will die.

Level 17
If Riot's points are wrong and the scientist and his claims are legit, and if DSG's points are wrong and the virus is capable of evil mass destruction, and if I'm wrong and the scientist somehow doesn't get imprisoned, shot, burnt, raped in the ass, and shot again, and if countries randomly decide to drop all sorts of quarantine and can't be arsed to try find a cure, then yeah, I'd assume that 4.5 billion people will die.
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Level 22
You lot are probably getting the idea behind his reasearch wrong... His reasearch is probably in how viruses become infectious and this was a byproduct of his research. The actual research is likly well intended and is being done to help prevent epidemics (understanding how they happen and how to combat them).

If he was a real weapon scientist, you would not even be hearing about this stuff and it would be at a 90%+ kill rate (50% is too low for an effective weapon). There would also already be a vacine against it to come with it.

DSG is right. A 50% kill ratio is way too low for it to be weaponized. He was likely just trying to further his, and our, understanding of how viruses are spread.

But there have been a hundred other instances of things like this, and they are always a flock of birdshit. I wouldn't read much into it, and I hate that this is sticky'd to the UI.

Level 14
Nope I'm being the opposite; a smart ass.

Or your a jackass! A Jack's Ass.... A Jack Sparrow's Ass... OMG Your the ass of Captain Jack Sparrow! :pir:

Ok now, I think either DSG or Apheraz Lucentz's sister is right, because if this was his goal, to make a virus which kills people, why would he make it public. Although I do agree that he should conduct his research somewhere on a remote island. However if the virus will be transmitable through animals for example, and the virus would get out somehow, and enter an animal, and the animal would bring it to civilized places like NY, Paris, London, etc... than it could be a problem as we wouldn't know what is upon us, and we wouldn't know from where it came. It would be like the economy crisis, only biological.

DSG here is going down the right path. The big reason most infectious diseases are engineered to be even more deadly, is so that the scientists can find the cures for those new strains, before they pop up in the population.

THIS

The issue isn't the fact that he made a terrible virus, since that's nothing new - researchers do that sort of thing all the time. The issue is whether he should publish information on how to make it or not.

If he publishes it, scientists will have some great information on how to develop cures for powerful viruses in the future if they pop up by themselves in nature. But there's also the risk that people can take his information and use it for bioterrorism.

If he doesn't publish it, scientists won't have his information on making cures, so we're in more of a problematic situation if a powerful virus does appear in the future, but on the other hand there isn't any risk of someone using his info for bioterrorism.

Both ways could cause problems, and the issue is figuring out which one is "better".

Level 22
I don't see how releasing this formula to public or not is a big question. Even right now it is possible that someone else is developing another that deadly virus, maybe even terrorirsts are aware of some deadly formula. So to me such decision makes no big difference, also because if they really wanted to get that info, they/terrorists would get it without this being released to public. Let's hope it doesn't reach the terrorrists from the arab countries.

Level 22
If this turns into another religious debate, I approve the releasing of this virus.

Lol, me too.

He should publish the information.

@Eimtr mainly: Biological terrorism with engineered viruses would take an entire country, or a large group of very smart individuals, which Islamist extremists do not possess, and in the event they had the ability to utilize the information for such, it's likely the antidote would already be available for mass production. If you wonder what I mean, I figure everyone knows this already, but some may not... Once you have a virus, you can create a smaller, and weaker version of the virus, inject it into a patient, and have their immunity increase, without killing them, because the virus is weaker than the actual strain you are fighting.

Level 14
It seems for me very unlikely that regular terrorists would have the required hardware, technology and skill to create something like this. Of course, it is likely that some governments are supporting islamic terrorists.

Level 22
Yes clearly...

Seriously though, if we were to look at osama.. The damage was already done when they found out who did it.

I think it's necessarily, the damage was already done, more like, it took the US ten years to find a cave man. Retribution was all we were looking for, somewhat of a measurement contest as RDZ put it. The mission was completed, but far below par time.

On-Topic: I don't know what else to say about this Dutch researcher, I don't really see why people are raging against him, I mean I would congratulate him on such an interesting find. Knowledge is power, when you know something like this exists you will be able to prepare for it, as opposed to being blind-sided.

@Chucky: This world is too erratic to prevent every disaster, or discovery and distribution of weapons capable of creating massive casualties. There will be successful terrorist attacks to come, and there will be hundreds more super viruses. War is what we should fear.

Level 22
Osama probably was called to do so by some sick freak... as opposed to the 'oh look those bad terrorists, they did everything with airplanes' when if it were just planes could not collapse the buildings without some other explosions. Better dont talk about 9/11 cause.. media was clearly told to give an official explanation.

The Dutch scientist and his weapon.. probably will not have any effect any time soon so, enjoy life <3

Level 22
Osama probably was called to do so by some sick freak... as opposed to the 'oh look those bad terrorists, they did everything with airplanes' when if it were just planes could not collapse the buildings without some other explosions. Better dont talk about 9/11 cause.. media was clearly told to give an official explanation.

The Dutch scientist and his weapon.. probably will not have any effect any time soon so, enjoy life <3

Conspiracy theories will get you nowhere. I know this better than anyone.

The jet fuel melted the metal inside the concrete support beams, this would cause the floor(s) supported by the beams to come crashing down, which would probably be strong enough to buckle the support beams below that. I do believe this is plausible, but we will never know the truth anyway, so why debate. In 10 or so years they are scheduled to tell us some more lies about who killed Kennedy.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
The jet fuel melted the metal inside the concrete support beams, this would cause the floor(s) supported by the beams to come crashing down, which would probably be strong enough to buckle the support beams below that. I do believe this is plausible, but we will never know the truth anyway, so why debate. In 10 or so years they are scheduled to tell us some more lies about who killed Kennedy.

Nah, it's all a hoax to distract us from the real perpetrators: The Illuminati. [/totallymissingthepoint]

Level 22
Conspiracy theories will get you nowhere. I know this better than anyone.

I actually saw that from an engineer or someone who was into the building's structure on a TV talkshow, a quite ordinary geeky guy, who confirmed that there had been additional damage done to bring the buildings down, how is this related to conspiracies? And the collapse of building 7?

I say listening to the media's 'official explanations' will lead you nowhere, no one would ever dare to say on TV that someone from within the US hired these terrorists.. or had any part in the whole thing, nor would media be ever allowed to know. Believe whatever you want, fact is there were explosions placed (explosions plus airplane), do research before posting. Even if an airplane explodes, in order the whole building to collapse vertically, you need to dig or destroy the base floors, if it was just an airplane it would still keep part of the building standing. An airplane would also through boulders of rock to fall away but no, it all went vertically. This is explained by some good architects/engineers whatever, why do you argue with them. Conspiracies...

You really don't know human nature and how far they can go, do you?

Last edited:
Level 22
I actually saw that from an engineer or someome who was into the building's structure on a TV talkshow, a quite ordinary geeky guy, who confirmed that there had been additional damage done to bring the buildings down, how is this related to conspiracies? And the collapse of building 7?

I say listening to the media's 'official explanations' will lead you nowhere, no one would ever dare to say on TV that someone from within the US hired these terrorists.. or had any part in the whole thing, nor would media be ever allowed to know. Believe what you want, fact is there were explosions placed, do research before posting.

You're just seeing this for what you've watched in cheesy conspiracy documentaries.

Building 7 was destroyed by falling debris. The support beams were melted by jet fuel which burns at 1790 degrees fahrenheit, this can cause steel to weaken to a bending point. The explosion from the impact and ignition of the jet fuel would have also devastated the infrastructure to the point of collapse. Now we delve further into your silly conspiracy. What would the government stand to gain from killing thousands of innocent people? We could put ourselves into another war? Which would further drain a weak economy? Or perhaps it was to raise President Bush's approval ratings by 15-20 points? Maybe it was setup, so that the construction company working on the Freedom Tower could profit from a lucrative deal, and they hired the terrorists? You're not even from the US, so please, don't lecture people on things that happen in their country, it's likely they know more about it than a person who has probably never been there. Please get back on-topic now.

Level 22
This person aka me has been to the US but hasn't asked any Americans about it because it is sensitive. I even saw while at a public library, how some man angrily did something on one of the computers and left, then I saw the computer was showing some site of 9/11. Obivously he may have had a close person there.

However, many Americans consider there has been inside job, so do your damn research and do not teach me and call it 'cheesy conspiracies', there are many who dont believe in your beloved government and dont consider it as shiny as you think it is,.. (boo hoo the evil guys, we Americans always the good guys)

Your problem seeing your reaction on the article of this Dutch scientist (To get ONtopic) is you are either too scared to accept it/face it or you are really so clueless and close-minded to know that this is the world, you dont know how human acts apparently. I've read lots of things and I continue reading and I do not fall for conspiracies, I just think objectively and I see what BETTER THAN YOU (I said ENGINEER on the NEWS and not the only one) not conspiracists who make it for the show have to say, and I make my own mind and see when it is not as you LIKE it to be. So do not teach me, you..

Level 22
This person aka me has been to the US but hasn't asked any Americans about it because it is sensitive. I even saw while at a public library, how some man angrily did something on one of the computers and left, then I saw the computer was showing some site of 9/11. Obivously he may have had a close person there.

However, many Americans consider there has been inside job, so do your damn research and do not teach me and call it 'cheesy conspiracies', there are many who dont believe in your beloved government and dont consider it as shiny as you think it is,.. (boo hoo the evil guys, we Americans always the good guys)

Your problem seeing your reaction on the article of this Dutch scientist (To get ONtopic) is you are either too scared to accept it/face it or you are really so clueless and close-minded to know that this is the world, you dont know how human acts apparently. I've read lots of things and I continue reading and I do not fall for conspiracies, I just think objectively and I see what BETTER THAN YOU (I said ENGINEER on the NEWS and not the only one) not conspiracists who make it for the show have to say, and I make my own mind and see when it is not as you LIKE it to be. So do not teach me, you..

@Eimtr Lol please stop flaming to try and push your point across. It is a cheesy conspiracy, to the point it is actually laughable. People don't like it when you basically out right call their country a nation filled with liars and cheats who would kill their own for no reason. So please hesitate to do this in the future. And please do learn, that Americans are the people who live on the two continents of South America and North America, so you're just insulting the western hemisphere basically. You think too broad, things that you accept as likely hoods are often called conspiracies, I am a realist, and I don't believe in conspiracies nor do I deny them, I don't accept religion nor do I reject it. you should be less open-minded and not allow your mind to be clouded with nonsense.

On-Topic: The Dutch scientist was a silly discussion in the first place, it just turned into an unintelligent flame-rant with myself included as a member, flaming about conspiracy theories of Illuminati and brutally murdering this man. I think the subject is dead and it's time to close this thread lest it continue off-topic.

Zionists are actually Jews. Not sure why you'd confuse them with Arabs, their mortal enemy... *Scratches head*

Actually, I was making an analogy.

edit

To be honest, if I was a scientist, it would be my dream to make something that could kill the entire human race.
I also dream of designing a particle accelerator with extremely dense beams (Mini-blackholes would form)
And because of the extreme density of the beam, the chances of this mini-blackhole encountering any form
of matter and "consuming" it would be higher than in any other Particle accelerators today.

The blackhole would slowly grow in size and it will continue to sustain itself (as long it gets enough matter).
That would cause it to grow and 'consume' at exponentially increasing rates, and eventually, the entire planet
will become a blackhole the size of a dime.

Cool ey?
The only things I lack are:
- PHD in Physics, Chemistry and Math
- A few billion dollars
- A french mustache to look legit
- Some fried chicken
- Magnets (COS NOBDY NOWS HAOW DEY WERK !1!1??1/!)
I don't know if most of what I said is true (I got most of my facts from legit Wikipedia articles)

Status
Not open for further replies.