• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dota 2 vs League of Legends

Vote

• Dota

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • LoL

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Lets discuss!

- - -
I really prefer Dota, i hate LoL, its a kids game in my mind.
DOTA
38PsByB.png

dota-2-ember-spirit-xin.jpg

Cosmetic_icon_Empire_of_the_Lightning_Lord.png

LOL
annie.jpg

nunu-classic.png

teemo_gorro.jpg

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Edit the title quickly before someone gets triggers by the spelling.

Also, I got cancer after playing Dota 2 and that was WITH experience from LoL and DotA 1
Jesus, poor souls trying to learn that game.

I find LoL more enjoyable because I do not understand shit in Dota 2.
Also spent a thousand dollars (ish) on skins over the years on LoL so it would be a waste of money to switch game.
Tried Dota 2 too late to give it a reasonable chance, the only reason I tried it was to have some perspective in the which MOBA is best debate.

TLDR: DotA 2 is for masochists and dark souls players

Level 2
I may be biased because I haven't played Dota 2 (and the first...) but I prefer LoL, I like the graphics more, the different game modes, the lore, the voice acting, the skins (although I don't charge RP). But I haven't played LoL in like a year or more so I don't know much about what have changed... the only downside that I remember was the community, but I think every competitive team game suffer from it in some extent.

Level 14
I'm a Dota 2 player, and I'm just new to LoL, so this may seem biased, but this based on my observation. This is just my opinion though.

Gameplay and Difficulty:
LoL is usually for casual players, while Dota 2 is more for dedicated and serious players, because of the fact that Dota 2 is harder and has a more competitive gameplay than LoL.

In LoL, there are repetitive *peew peew* skills, which makes it less unique.
While in Dota 2, most skills are very unique and interesting.

In terms of items, there are some cool items in LoL, but most are just stats-based (AD, AP, Cooldown Reduction, Health, Critical Strike, Etc.) which sucks.
While in Dota 2, there are SO MANY active items. You have an item that can turn you invisible, an item that makes you immune to some spells, and so many more.

Also, the Rune system in LoL is kinda cool. It makes the playstyle on some champions different, based on what the player prefers.

If you watch SingSing (Dota 2 player) trying LoL, you can actually see that he can adapt quite easily.
But if you watch Pro LoL players trying Dota2, they honestly can't play well.
Same happened to me and my friends. When I tried LoL before, I easily adapted to their gameplay (my first time was Soraka, building Tank items lmao, but it worked in the end), but when my LoL player friends trying Dota 2 with me, they literally sucks (One of them used Sniper, one of the easiest heroes, but still suck).

Graphics:
Dota 2 has better graphics. That's all. LoL is more cartoon-ish.

Player-base:
LoL has outnumbered Dota 2 players, yes. Because it's more casual so almost everyone can learn and get into it quickly.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

DotA 2's gameplay is much more enjoyable than LoL's. Haven't played LoL btw.

Lets discuss!

- - -
I really prefer Dota, i hate LoL, its a kids game in my mind.
DOTA
38PsByB.png

dota-2-ember-spirit-xin.jpg

Cosmetic_icon_Empire_of_the_Lightning_Lord.png

LOL
annie.jpg

nunu-classic.png

teemo_gorro.jpg
I dont think u realized how old this champion splash arts are.
Evelynn_0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

cf4e18e4-df9d-4c03-80ec-92346ff4f15a.jpg

annie.jpg

Btw. the champion named Evelynn got censured in the Korean Servers.

@xyzier_24 ,
DotA was always hard because their developers doesn't care at all about controls.
DotA 1 had a huge hot key issue,bcs. every hero had a different button,which almost made it impossible to play.

In DotA 2 they fixed it by giving every hero QWER keys,but still there is no camera lock mode which i can turn OFF/ON,i literally have to hold the heroes portrait to lock it on him.
And still i managed to win 4 games in a row of DotA with Wraith King.

DotA Developers rise the difficulty by making the game harder to play,the mechanics of the game doesn't make the game harder than League of Legends.

To be honest,when u talk about heroes,the heroes(champions) of league of legends have more mechanics than the ones from DotA,like sniper is the perfect example,he has like two abilities that he can cast,and this basically what u just called interesting.
You will like never find a Champion in League of Legends like sniper,and the people that cant land auto attacks and skill shots,we call in League of Legends "bronze players".

And now just imagine there is a item or a potion in League of Legends that can make Champions invisible,do u actually know how much this would break the game.

Both, League and DotA are not balanced, but they are not balanced in different ways,im pretty sure that i don't have to talk about League's balance issues.
DotA's Anti-Mage is like super balanced man,literally eating your mana in seconds,and yea the Enchantress passive is like slowing the attack speed for over 50 % also very balanced.
Let's say i play a sniper against a Enchantress,i will like 100% lose its not just that she is countering me,it is just impossible to play against.

If League players were not serious ,then they would also not be toxic.

If the players cant adapt easily to the game,then its not their fault,its game's fault.
Developers have to work on that not the players,and this is what the Developers of DotA don't understand.

Let me just remind u,that the Pro's of DotA lost against AI.

I don't care which game has better graphics,if i would play this games because of the graphics ,then i wouldn't play both of them.

The reason why i play this games is the gameplay,and League of Legends improved a lot in their gameplay,while DotA didn't changed at all,but this is what u DotA players like, isn't it?
As much as i know, DotA players don't like changes, right?
And i think the only thing the DotA Developers care is their old fan base.

@xyzier_24 this post is not only meant for u,i made it to give a answer to all DotA players,not just u,and to remind everyone here i'm also just telling my opinion.

Last edited:
Level 15
i prefer dota 2 over LoL

The play style is so much faster in dota 2 compared to LoL.
in LoL most abilitys have a low cooldown u can just spam and in dota if you miss your ability you get punshed for it.
LoL's item are way too basic they all are just passives where dota 2 has items that can help u counter certain heros e.g BlackKing Bar making u immune to spells for a short duration

there is a Bigger Player base for LoL then dota is because LoL is easier to get into if u are new to the game.where dota 2 mainly has the players that have been playing dota 1 for a long time. there are many things that dota has witch is really not noob freindly. for instance even the last hitting in dota 2 is alot bigger deal then LoL since LoL has spammable abilitys to help u last hit and dota does not have such abilitys(there are a few but the mana use is not werth it), then in dota 2 has the ability to denny creeps. hero kills recive more gold in LoL then dota 2 e.g firstblood is 200g on dota 2 and 400g on LoL.so overall gaining gold in lol is alot easyer.also there are manny other skills/items that any new player will have a hard time understanding the mechanics behind them. e.g Bloodseaker Ulti Dealing High Damage to a player if he is moving( the standard mind set of what to do when your hero taking alot of damage is to run.)
Heros Die alot quicker in dota then in LoL, if ur dying its alot easyer to keep running and kite the enemy where in dota if u get cought out of position your pree much guaranteed to die unless u have a strong escape ability.
dota also has invisibility witch requires players to use items to detect them(dust/sentry wards) witch newcomers will find hard. also the mechanics of illsions in dota is a big deal for newcomers.

The Team Fights between the 2 games are very Different Losing a team fight in LoL in no where near as bad as Losing a team fight in dota 2. to start with Dieing in dota 2 you lose gold. the Respawn time is greater in dota 2 i beilve as well. Ultimately losing 2-3 big team fights in the mid-late game of dota your chances of winning become very minimum with the gold switch alone. not to mention the towers/ barracks u may lose after these fights. LoL can even Respawn the Barracks.

Overall the 2 games are played very different from 1 another yer they have the same style of picking a hero/champ and pushing waves of creeps to destroy x building. but they both have very different mechanics where going from 1 to the other is practically changing the whole game. its like comparing Call of Duty and Halo.both fps but both different from each other.
Any LoL player is going to say its betting because it has x
any Dota player is going to say its better because it has x
its mainly just the players preference neither game is "better"
in saying that I find any dota player playing LoL will pick it up alot easier and quicker then any LoL player playing dota

so yer i prefer dota 2 mainly because i find LoL to sluggish and noob friendly. where as in dota its alot quicker past and winning/losing the game can change so drastically. dota 2 is alot more technical dota 2 also has lot of behind the scenes mechanics that im still learning today and iv been playing it since the beta so 8 years not to mention the years i played dota 1

Last edited:
Level 14
DotA was always hard because their developers doesn't care at all about controls.
DotA 1 had a huge hot key issue,bcs. every hero had a different button,which almost made it impossible to play.

In DotA 2 they fixed it by giving every hero QWER keys, but still there is no camera lock mode which i can turn OFF/ON,i literally have to hold the heroes portrait to lock it on him.
And still i managed to win 4 games in a row of DotA with Wraith King.
Dota 1 sure has issues in Hotkey, because it is just a "mod", and what I meant is, it is made using only limited engine (Warcraft 3 Engine). But Dota isn't hard because the devs doesn't care about controls. Dota is hard because it is made to be that way. Or you are just having a hard time?

DotA Developers rise the difficulty by making the game harder to play,the mechanics of the game doesn't make the game harder than League of Legends.
False. The mechanics still affects difficulty. There's so many mechanics in Dota, which you always have to keep in mind.

To be honest,when u talk about heroes,the heroes(champions) of league of legends have more mechanics than the ones from DotA,like sniper is the perfect example,he has like two abilities that he can cast,and this basically what u just called interesting.
You will like never find a Champion in League of Legends like sniper,and the people that cant land auto attacks and skill shots,we call in League of Legends "bronze players".
I'm pretty sure I said "most", not "all". But if you want to talk about interesting, sure. Go try other heroes like Invoker, Arc Warden, Chen. And, not because an ability is "cast-able", doesn't mean it's interesting. There's some Passive Abilities in Dota that are way more interesting than LoL's *peew peew* and Spinning abilities. But hey, we all know that Teemo and Rammus is actually a hero/champion idea presented by a Dota Member (known as infinitevox). And oh, some abilities in LoL is so similar to Dota's (because the idea is copied, probably).

Both, League and DotA are not balanced, but they are not balanced in different ways,im pretty sure that i don't have to talk about League's balance issues.
DotA's Anti-Mage is like super balanced man,literally eating your mana in seconds,and yea the Enchantress passive is like slowing the attack speed for over 50 % also very balanced.
Let's say i play a sniper against a Enchantress,i will like 100% lose its not just that she is countering me,it is just impossible to play against.
"super balanced man" You're sarcastic here? Yea both games aren't balanced. But in Dota, heroes are balanced because some of them are imbalanced in their own ways. Anti-mage is called Anti-mage for a reason. Enchantress can be countered with magic nukes. 100% lose? Nope. I think you don't play Dota quite enough.
How can I say that Dota is balanced in a way? Because the hero pick in Dota, especially in Professional scene, is so diverse. Most heroes are picked. While in LoL, well... If you think I'm kidding, then you can check this out.

If the players cant adapt easily to the game,then its not their fault,its game's fault.
Developers have to work on that not the players,and this is what the Developers of DotA don't understand.
Dota is already designed for this one. It teaches you how to adapt to different situations, not the other way around.

Let me just remind u,that the Pro's of DotA lost against AI.
Okay, you sound stupid here. Lose against which AI? OpenAI? Do you even know what it is? OpenAI is one of the smartest Game AI made to compete against other players. But since you're acting stupid, I'll be one too. Just reminding you that some Dota pros outplayed Lol players, while Lol pros can't do shit even to a dumb Dota player.

I don't care which game has better graphics,if i would play this games because of the graphics ,then i wouldn't play both of them.
Graphics doesn't affect the gameplay, yes.

The reason why i play this games is the gameplay,and League of Legends improved a lot in their gameplay,while DotA didn't changed at all,but this is what u DotA players like, isn't it?
As much as i know, DotA players don't like changes, right?
And i think the only thing the DotA Developers care is their old fan base.
Okay, so you really sound dumb. It's kinda like you're saying this without basis. Dota has way improved a lot. Even Dota devs release small updates for small things that won't really affect the game. You sound really dumb saying Dota didn't changed at all, and Dota players don't like changes. Where's your basis? I honestly find some updates interesting.

this post is not only meant for u,i made it to give a answer to all DotA players,not just u,and to remind everyone here i'm also just telling my opinion.
Thank you.

Dota is hard because it is made to be that way. Or you are just having a hard time?
I have problems with the camera control only.

False. The mechanics still affects difficulty. There's so many mechanics in Dota, which you always have to keep in mind.
I remind u, that u said that DotA is harder than LoL, and thats not at all true,they are actually on the same level of difficulty,but they have both different ways to rise the difficulty.
I never said that DotA's mechanics doesn't affect the game.

I'm pretty sure I said "most", not "all". But if you want to talk about interesting, sure. Go try other heroes like Invoker, Arc Warden, Chen. And, not because an ability is "cast-able", doesn't mean it's interesting. There's some Passive Abilities in Dota that are way more interesting than LoL's *peew peew* and Spinning abilities. But hey, we all know that Teemo and Rammus is actually a hero/champion idea presented by a Dota Member (known as infinitevox). And oh, some abilities in LoL is so similar to Dota's (because the idea is copied, probably).
I don't care if something is copied or not,and i don't care from who is the idea coming from.
I see u didn't even played 10% of the champions from League of Legends,but i can say for sure that i know a lot DotA Heroes bcs. i was a DotA 1 player.
The only thing u are trying here is to make DotA look better than LoL,but i remind u that the LoL developers will make the game be different from any type of DotA game,and it already is different.
So now i have a question for you,when was the last time u played League?

In terms of items, there are some cool items in LoL, but most are just stats-based (AD, AP, Cooldown Reduction, Health, Critical Strike, Etc.) which sucks.
While in Dota 2, there are SO MANY active items. You have an item that can turn you invisible, an item that makes you immune to some spells, and so many more.
Well,League has also this type of items,except the ones that makes u invisible where ever the fk u want.
But League doesn't need items that makes u invisible,bcs. League has already bush.

"super balanced man" You're sarcastic here? Yea both games aren't balanced. But in Dota, heroes are balanced because some of them are imbalanced in their own ways. Anti-mage is called Anti-mage for a reason. Enchantress can be countered with magic nukes. 100% lose? Nope. I think you don't play Dota quite enough.
How can I say that Dota is balanced in a way? Because the hero pick in Dota, especially in Professional scene, is so diverse. Most heroes are picked. While in LoL, well... If you think I'm kidding, then you can check this out.
I said when i play Sniper against Enchantress,not a mage against Enchantress.

Dota is already designed for this one. It teaches you how to adapt to different situations, not the other way around.
nah.

Okay, you sound stupid here. Lose against which AI? OpenAI? Do you even know what it is? OpenAI is one of the smartest Game AI made to compete against other players. But since you're acting stupid, I'll be one too. Just reminding you that some Dota pros outplayed Lol players, while Lol pros can't do shit even to a dumb Dota player.
When u start playing League,u play mainly with noobs,but when u start playing DotA u play already with players that played the game for years.
Which is a problem for new people that start playing DotA.
League players had also something like OpenAI,and it was not a 1v1,it was a 5v5.
Advanced Bot tests LIVE in Normals | League of Legends

I easily adapted to their gameplay (my first time was Soraka, building Tank items lmao, but it worked in the end), but when my LoL player friends trying Dota 2 with me, they literally sucks (One of them used Sniper, one of the easiest heroes, but still suck).
Yea u played Soraka against Noobs,and even if not u probably got carried.

Okay, so you really sound dumb. It's kinda like you're saying this without basis. Dota has way improved a lot. Even Dota devs release small updates for small things that won't really affect the game. You sound really dumb saying DotA didn't changed at all, and Dota players don't like changes. Where's your basis? I honestly find some updates interesting.
Yea,i guess with the part "that DotA didn't changed at all" i have go a little bit too far.
But,the part with "DotA players don't like changes,right?"was a question,i didn't said that DotA players don't like changes,i asked if they don't like changes.
The fact that u started insulting me bcs. i was just telling my opinion,just shows that u are just a another guy that stopped playing League bcs. u were too salty for the game.

Level 14
I remind u, that u said that DotA is harder than LoL, and thats not at all true,they are actually on the same level of difficulty,but they have both different ways to rise the difficulty.
I never said that DotA's mechanics doesn't affect the game.
No. A good example is CS. CS is easier in LoL, while it's harder in Dota. You can see some LoL players who tried Dota are struggling in this one. But, you can also check this out.

I don't care if something is copied or not,and i don't care from who is the idea coming from.
I see u didn't even played 10% of the champions from League of Legends,but i can say for sure that i know a lot DotA Heroes bcs. i was a DotA 1 player.
The only thing u are trying here is to make DotA look better than LoL,but i remind u that the LoL developers will make the game be different from any type of DotA game,and it already is different.
So now i have a question for you,when was the last time u played League?
A few hours ago. I was playing Tresh, AP. Lol. I haven't played most of its champions, because it's too expensive (RP, BE) (This is one of the things I hate in LoL). But I have seen many of them by watching my friends play. And yes, LoL is different from Dota.

Well,League has also this type of items,except the ones that makes u invisible where ever the fk u want.
But League doesn't need items that makes u invisible,bcs. League has already bush.
Well, the bush is quite cool though. But LoL items isn't so diverse. I've seen so many ADRs getting Zeal (for Statikk, Runaan, or Phantom Dancer). And what I'm trying to point out here is so many players building the same item over and over again. It needs more situation-effective items like Mercurial Scimitar.

When u start playing League,u play mainly with noobs,but when u start playing DotA u play already with players that played the game for years.
Which is a problem for new people that start playing DotA.
Honestly speaking, this is true. I remembered when Tyler1 played against a Smurf Meepo.

Yea u played Soraka against Noobs,and even if not u probably got carried.
Noob or not, I have played against someone who knows LoL far better than me. And I didn't get carried, because of the fact that I got two S- and one S+ with Soraka.

Yea,i guess with the part "that DotA didn't changed at all" i have go a little bit too far.
But,the part with "DotA players don't like changes,right?"was a question,i didn't said that DotA players don't like changes,i asked if they don't like changes.
The fact that u started insulting me bcs. i was just telling my opinion,just shows that u are just a another guy that stopped playing League bcs. u were too salty for the game.
Sorry, I got triggered in this part. I'm still playing LoL though. Mostly on Midnight, 'cause there's less kids playing at that time.

No. A good example is CS. CS is easier in LoL, while it's harder in Dota. You can see some LoL players who tried Dota are struggling in this one. But, you can also check this out.
Ye i guess in DotA u can also deny cs,which is for me a lil bit annoying.
And i feel like there is a huge attack speed difference between LoL and DotA.

Well, the bush is quite cool though. But LoL items isn't so diverse. I've seen so many ADRs getting Zeal (for Statikk, Runaan, or Phantom Dancer). And what I'm trying to point out here is so many players building the same item over and over again. It needs more situation-effective items like Mercurial Scimitar.

I guess that's a little bit true,bcs. there is at least 3 core items without some champions cant be played.
But yesterday,i played Cho Gath vs. Aatrox.
I failed this match up,bcs. of my lack of experience against that champion.
So i started losing lane,when he bought a life steal item,which means i should rush Thronmail or a damaging item like Titanic Hydra to be able to outdamage him in the early game.
Luckily they were throwing the game a lot,so we won anyways after 45 mins.
What i'm try to say is that u cant use the same build against every match up.
In case of a carry type of champion,yep they almost every time use the same build.
But if League would have a item like the Hurricane Pike from DotA that would be OP,bcs. there is already champions that have a dash.

Level 14
Ye i guess in DotA u can also deny cs,which is for me a lil bit annoying.
And i feel like there is a huge attack speed difference between LoL and DotA.
Denying is really annoying, if you lane against someone who's better in CS. But it's still quite fun, trying to think of a way to cope up with this. I know only a little about the difference in attack speed, but from what I know the max attack speed in LoL is 2.5 atks per sec, while in Dota you can have more?

I guess that's a little bit true,bcs. there is at least 3 core items without some champions cant be played.
But yesterday,i played Cho Gath vs. Aatrox.
What i'm try to say is that u cant use the same build against every match up.
In case of a carry type of champion,yep they almost every time use the same build.
But if League would have a item like the Hurricane Pike from DotA that would be OP,bcs. there is already champions that have a dash.
You can't consider it OP without it being implemented yet. And, it can still be balanced though, depending on how LoL devs will implement it. I'm guessing adding a few range with shorter active-range and low damage will be enough.

I'll vote for Dota.

I have both played games. I played LoL for 3 years, while I played Dota/Dota 2 for 11 years.

And here are some of my thoughts.

First of all, people should notice that when a person, which usually has a bias, began joining these kinds of debate/argument, they usually don't have any experience from the other side's perspectives and/or they haven't had done research or gathered information that supports their argument.

Why did I vote Dota? First, let me tell you the problems LoL currently has.

1. The Meta. Basically, this is the no. 1 thing I hate about LoL. Whenever there is an update, I have always expected these contents: A Champion Rework, an Ability Rework, an Item Rework, a Removed Item, A Massive Buff, A Massive Nerf, and a new Champion.

It seems annoying to me that Riot uses a 7-sided die than to actually balance things, but it seems that the way they balance things is by adding new contents.

I have watched professional games since 2014 and it sucks to see that almost every game there are similar hero pools, ban/pick phase, and when that time comes, expect a massive nerf, which also in turn gives a massive buff to another champion. They don't balance things, Riot just like to put champions to "take turns" every time they change the meta.

2. Unit collision. This is an on-going crippling "feature" LoL has. They discussed it a year ago or so that the engine for the units are basically from the first ever version of LoL and they stated that minions, champions, turrets, inhibitors and even the nexus all came from one kind of pathing collision.

3. The annually "new season, new gameplay". This one is an abonimation feature. It kept LoL from being consistent. The LoL we knew is not the LoL we played back then, and it sucks that whenever a player goes to hiatus, it takes a long time for again to learn how to play the game they played before (masteries, hello?).

4. Items. There too few items in LoL that has any actual impact towards the game.

5. Turrets. They are an abonimation as well.

Okay now, what I hate about Dota 2:
1. the idea of "Megacreeps". They are basically a reminder for the team that they "Should surrender and quit defending since they'll die defending anyways".

Now I am about to discuss what most LoL players hate about Dota 2:
1. Denying. LoL players tend to see this feature as "idiotic" and "nonsense". No, they aren't. They play a huge role in the laning phase, since you rob the enemy player's chance of gaining exp. You will win lane, but let me remind you that the game has just started, so you still have time to win the game, or the other player will think of it otherwise.

2. All carry. This is one of the misconceptions LoL players always have. They always that "every game of Dota are just 5 carries against 5 carries". Let me tell you fellow LoL players that the idea of the "support role" came from Dota. In fact, the "duo bot support-ADC lane" came from Dota, inspired from the Pos 1 - Pos 5 lane.

Roles in Dota 2 are much more complex that what LoL has.

3. Megacreeps. LoL players love inhibitors, and they don't like getting beaten in Dota 2 just because they have started playing the game.

4. No "spells" and "masteries".

5. No "mechanics". LoL has been the mating place for Vayne players and Yasuo players, they love dashing and killing people with ease. Dota doesn't give you that. The closest with be Storm, but LoL players will most likely be griefing about it's mana cost.

6. Micromanagement. LoL players don't want their game to have an RTS-like mechanic.
and so on.

7. Turn-rate and backswing animations. LoL players are used to the "actual attack cooldown" and "instantaneous facing".

Now about Dota 2 players hate about LoL players:
1. Easy. They hate LoL being too easy to play (I actually learned how to play LoL in one month.).

2. Does not challenge your intellectual skills. Some Dota 2 players boast because some(or most) of the champions are composed of 4-skills and that has a very-repetitive gameplay (Lucian, Vayne, Khalista, to name a few).

3. No micromanagement. The closest there is was Annie, or Yorick, but those guys "summons" a self-aware unit.

4. Masteries and Runes.

5. Cheap cosmetics.

6. You cannot drop items.

My thoughts:

Well, in reality, the reason I voted Dota 2 is of personal reasons: I like complexity.

Mechanics can be a bit "not newbie" friendly, but still it gives you more things to learn from the game, and it enhances your skills even more.

The map in Dota 2 was so detailed in tree placement that it will take you a long time to completely memorize every detail in the map, whereas the map in LoL is "as is" on the minimap.

Dota 2 has terrain elevation, in which it affects the vision of units (a warcraft 3 feature), whereas LoL only has bushes.

Tree blind spot is also a thing, LoL doesn't have it.

micromanagement, as discussed earlier.

Impactful items such as aghanim's scepter, blink dagger, refresher orb, meteor hammer, etc.

Bounty is actually complex than you think.
Same goes for the EXP.

The hero pool is actually still good. 90% or so of the heroes are still picked up to this day, unlike LoL which lead it to seasonal, repetitive games.

Heroes with complex mechanics such as Invoker (14 spells), Meepo (5 heroes in the arsenal, one dies, the others as well), Brewmaster (3 creep-heroes, different abilities), Visage, Chen, Earth Spirit and more. These heroes cannot be compared to the champions LoL has.

and more.

I like some things LoL has, but as time goes by, it becomes a different game. (give back 2014 LoL, Riot)

but in the end, both games are different so we should not compare them at all. LoL has masteries, runes, spells, dashing heroes, button-mashing heroes, flashy spells that leave the audience in amaze, heroes that are made to fill the role. Dota 2 has talent trees, tree blind spot mechanics, denying, Invoker, Chen, Earth Spirit, Meepo, Lone Druid, mana efficiency, primary attributes, runes, impactful items, etc.

Players can hate what the other games have, but that's that. You don't play the game, you should not be complaining that much.

Edit:
I am that guy who reads patch notes, as well as take into account how it will impact the future games.
No, I am not a "good at gaming" person, I am more of a "analysis" person.

Double-posting because I have might hit the limit.

"
"

this isn't true.
This is User Experience, and if the developers designed it that way, it is because they have consulted some before (well they don't have to consult anymore since they already have a large player base) or they want to design something that is challenging.

Ever heard of Toad Cop, QWOP, Getting Over It, Super Hexagon, etc.
There are always people who will like these kinds of "hard to adapt" games, and they are called as "Achievers".

Hotkeys were never an issue now in Dota 2 since they already have a compatibility gameplay: they will ask you what game you have previously played and they will set your settings to that of the game. If you have played LoL, they will change the hotkeys to that of LoL, but the mechanics will stay the same)

Say, when will Riot update their Rusty Engine.

Double-posting because I have might hit the limit.

"
"

this isn't true.
This is User Experience, and if the developers designed it that way, it is because they have consulted some before (well they don't have to consult anymore since they already have a large player base) or they want to design something that is challenging.
Do u have something like a proof where it shows that they want to have a game like that.
Now I am about to discuss what most LoL players hate about Dota 2:

4. Masteries and Runes.
That doesn't makes sense.
Why did I vote Dota? First, let me tell you the problems LoL currently has.
5. Turrets. They are an abonimation as well.
Yep, turrets in League of Legends hurt,and i don't think this will change.
----------------------------------------------------------------
@Almia ,I hope this is just your opinion,because u cant be possibly talking for everyone,bcs. i can disagree with the most of things u said there.
Let me update u a little bit:
1.The League terrain has now more objectives,and it has now too special plants on the terrain,which have a great effect on the overall gameplay.
2.New champions.(but u probably hate it bcs. u are a DotA player)
3.Oh i see u said multiple times "masteries",well they are gone.Let me introduce you to the new rune system,click on "creating your playstyle" to play a bit with the new runes:
Forge Your Path: League of Legends Preseason Update
4.U get 4 free rune pages.
5.IP got replaced with Blue Essence.

Last edited:
I know about the plants, but the plants + terrain of LoL is still nowhere than the tree + elevation mechanics of Dota 2. (plants reminds me of the Dota runes.)

If you analyze things, the reason I hate these frequent new champions is that it ruins the balance. Instead of Riot focusing on more intricate detail, they just add a new feature which ruins the interaction. It is like adding a variable or changing a variable's value in a chaotic environment(By chaotic I mean the Chaos Theory, or the Butterfly Effect). Balancing is a very sensitive thing.

"Do u have something like a proof where it shows that they want to have a game like that."

My first statement would be "how the concept of LoL came to be". Your opinions on "Dota's difficulty" is primary the basis on comparing LoL's difficulty to Dota's difficulty. Dota doesn't have a standard back then of what makes an AoS difficult or not (well, there are obvious pointers like absurd abilities, etc.) but still, they made Dota a friendly one (e.g. the Legacy key design was designed to fit our left hand, etc.) and so they designed Dota "as it is". People played the game and got used to it. and when the ideas for games like HoN and LoL was conceived, we do now have standards. HoN was a bit easier to play than Dota since some items have been removed because of their pseudo-similarities with their fellow item (e.g. Claymore and Broadsword, which S2Games removed the Claymore since they are almost the same item, the difference was the gold efficiency) and they introduced the QWER hotkeys. LoL was easier to play because of the QWER hotkeys, small champion pool (back then, it was 40(?)). That is why we are comparing things now. Dota got the monopoly back then, and after new games that aim to contest Dota has been produced, Dota is now being compared, and now the standard for an ideal AoS/MOBA (LoL trademarked the term MOBA btw, we should not address Dota a MOBA).

Another proof: Back then, Dota isn't a serious game, so balancing wasn't a thing, the devs just like to add things (hello, removed heroes) and didn't care whether or not the hero is broken. Dota was in between "funny" and "challenging"

Edit:
You might ask "if we do have a standard now, why did Dota still stay on its path".

Quote: "Dota is the standard."

Last edited:
Level 22
Some people like me just enjoy the complexity and competitive nature of Dota so my vote goes for Dota. It's so much satisfying winning in a game like this (imagine winning a game of chess vs a game of checkers, winning chess is more fulfilling). It's also enjoying to punish enemies' mistakes (which is more evident in Dota).
Also bush + special plant is nothing compared to dynamic trees (which has interactions with some abilities like Tree Dance, Nature's Guise, Timber Chain, Shackeshot, etc.)
The Dota 2 tutorial sucks though and the matchmaking system is not friendly to new players but once you've pass that stage it is all good.

Level 15
the 2 games are honestly too different from 1 another to compare

LoL players dislike dota because they dont understand the mechanics so they believe these things are OP

dota players dislike LoL because they find it too simplified compared to dota mechanics

the games are played very different from 1 another even tho the goals and concept is the same.

Level 12
I will have to put my vote on LoL
Although I prefer HotS above both.

Too lazy to leave a full review on anything, but this sums it up very well: Absolutely never enjoyed playing DotA. It just wasn't fun. (similar applies to LoL, although a little bit less) It is a game(mod) it is supposed to be fun & enjoyable and I've never felt that with either much. LoL has some fun-modes which are quite good and I like doing them but dota... nothing of the sort.

I hope you understand, that this is per-person and you are ASKING FOR A PERSONAL OPINION AND EXPERIENCE in this topic. This is mine. Deal with it.

Regards
-Ned, out! (Don't tag me, please, don't want to come back here)

PS: I love it how every reply is in this format:
Game X fan wrote
Game X worship
Game Y sham
Game Y worship which is actually a sham
Game X sham, which is actually a worship

PS2: Above applicable for any Game X vs. game Y topic ANYWHERE

Disclaimer: I have played both DotA 2 & LoL, some other random MOBA & AoS mods & games both in standalone and mods in War3 & StarCraft & StarCraft II (Original DotA mod, HotS, etc.). I believe this is true for pretty much anybody around, no? I have not played any of those in the past 1-2 years, except HotS and trying random mods every now and then but ~meh.

Last edited:
Level 4
Dota 1. LoL you just button mash a hero to death, rotate your spells and boom something is dead.
Dota 2 I just don't like the camera system and the screen layout.
So Dota 1 ftw

Level 5
As an old Dota 1 and Dota 2 (pre-reborn) player, I voted Dota. Not sure how crappy the game is nowadays, though.

I know both communities suck, but I'm pretty sure any community isn't worse than LoL's. Have refused to play LoL many years, I can't stand a single match, it's just not for me. Many friends play it though, they've always wanted to hire me.

As an old Dota 1 and Dota 2 (pre-reborn) player, I voted Dota. Not sure how crappy the game is nowadays, though.

I know both communities suck, but I'm pretty sure any community isn't worse than LoL's. Have refused to play LoL many years, I can't stand a single match, it's just not for me. Many friends play it though, they've always wanted to hire me.
I am with you. The LoL community in my country is reeking of 10 ~-year-old kids.

Dota 2 is hilarious to me, it kept a ton of wc3 limitations and made them gameplay features. They had the option to remove the wc3 wonkyness, but they made it a part of the game instead.

When that is said. Who cares. Play what you like and stop being a tribalist hipster that has to makes a conflict out of everything. It is perfectly possible to love something, without having to differentiate yourself and make an identity out of disliking their "competitors".

Reactions: pyf
Dota 2 is hilarious to me, it kept a ton of wc3 limitations and made them gameplay features. They had the option to remove the wc3 wonkyness, but they made it a part of the game instead.

When that is said. Who cares. Play what you like and stop being a tribalist hipster that has to makes a conflict out of everything. It is perfectly possible to love something, without having to differentiate yourself and make an identity out of disliking their "competitors".

The main reason to that would be it would raise many complaints on how different it is on its predecessor (mainly, the professional games and experienced ones) and IceFrog chose not to break the concept of the game itself.

6.83 started splitting. IceFrog left wc3 to focus more on the concepts that were not possible on Warcraft 3 e.g. Cooldown Reductions, Spell Source, On-Hit effects, to name a few.

Reactions: pyf
Level 9
Meh, I have 1500+ (estimate) hours on DotA 1, 1000+ hours on DotA 2, 700+ hours on LoL, I still play both occasionally.

Both are fun in their own ways, I can't really describe it clearly.
DotA is more about the absurdity of everything and prioritizing the ones that work best. I'm only Archon after playing so long, though, so who am I to say?
League for me is mastering one focus point of the game (I'm an Azir OTP) and using it effectively. I hover around Platinum II-I.

The new player experience of League is absolute garbage, though. I hear DotA has enforced the easy heroes only for new players too, which is also bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.