1. Triumph has risen from these uncharted shores. The 34th Modeling Contest Results are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Awaken what lies in the heart of your swarm. The 17th Techtree Contest has arrived!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Hive Workshop is launching its first HD modelling contest. How HD should it be?
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff Job Openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Dont make mods, boycott Reforged [EULA Update]

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Nudl9, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Lord_Marrowgrath

Lord_Marrowgrath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Blizzard isnt a friendly community, they can steal every idea. I dont trust them after reforged tragedy. So, I'm not modding, creating, writing stuff anymore in reforged. Creative community holds up war3 everytime, they want to destroy it.

2. hexhound

hexhound

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is the conclusion i've drawn as well. I really, really appreciate Blizzard keeping War3 BNet up for as long as they have and am thankful for the efforts they've made to update the game and add new editor features (until reforged), but the trust bank account is now empty. No hard feelings, i realize it's not the same people at the office anymore as when the whole thing started and there may even be many new people whose efforts/opinions I'd praise if had insider access to their meetings or whatever, just time for me to move on and take my modding efforts into some different arena.

3. Nagax

Nagax

Resources:
    Resources:
    Totaly agree with that. Warcraft III is an old game now, why the editor would give a insane concept ? Warcraft have now too low possibilities for his time ! We are in fucking 2020 omg...

4. Arcmage

Arcmage

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Overall, these kinds of schemes have complex legal ramifications and are a bad idea compared to the simple strategy of just not putting valuable IP into your map. I don't think the fact that Party B was unaware that you had already assigned exclusive rights to party A means that Party B would definitely be able to use it. But you could end up liable for any damages that party B sued party A for.

As of a few patches ago Wc3 has native LUA support.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  5. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    Party B can't sue Party A. If you assign rights to Party A exclusively it means they have those rights. It does not mean you cannot assign rights to Party B. You can breach the contract and assign rights to Party B. You will then become liable for damages to Party A. Party A cannot necessarily pursue Party B, because 1. Party A does not own the IP, it has merely been granted rights over it, and 2. Nothing can override direct permission from an Author.

This may be different in the USA, but this is the law as is in the EU and UK and many of its colonies like Australia.

Also just found out that Warcraft 3 has been downgraded to a new Reforged edition with the sh** that is Bnet2.0. Well time to go play on Garena.

6. Arcmage

Arcmage

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't know about this specific case. But, let us say Jill contracts Bob's Building to build a house. Bob subcontracts the electrical work to Tim's Electricians who do a lousy job causing the house to eventually catch fire. Jill can still sue Bob's Building for her house burning down, even though they didn't handle the electrical aspects. In turn, Bob's Building would sue Tim's Electricians to recuperate the damages they paid to Jill.

7. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes that is privity in contract. So in the case of a creator assigning rights to a 3rd party that is not blizzard, Blizzard will sue the creator, and the creator is not able to sue the 3rd party, because the 3rd party has not breached its contract with the creator, merely the creator is in breach of his contract with blizzard.

8. Blarto

Blarto

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ok so from what I gather, to enforce their new EULA on everyone Blizzard will do any or all of the following:

1) Remove non 1.32 maps from bnet so that all maps are bound to new EULA and not old one
    2) Have poor-man's curator system for maps uploaded so that they could enforce copyright strikes
    3) Tie maps to accounts so they could ban your account for violation of EULA

Until Blizzard does that, they have no means to enforce the new EULA, save for closing warcraft3 online access permanently for everyone.

Edit:

Should Blizzard enforce the new EULA, only remaining way for you to protect yourself from getting sanctioned would be denying you using the new world editor (Lying in court).

9. Drake53

Drake53

Resources:
    Resources:
    Or you can use 3rd party tools instead of the world editor, then you don't have to lie about it.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Aren't those usually derivatives of the original and not made from scratch? Referring to map editors.

That won't work. They can check your map for what version it was saved with.

11. Drake53

Drake53

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pretty sure HiveWE is made from scratch. I'm not sure how the EULA would apply for a derivative editor.

12. MooNek

MooNek

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think there is a big misunderstanding here about this. As someone pointed out the names/ideas/stoeies and so on are about the platform in this case it means DON'T USE WC3 NAMES(and so on) OUTSIDE OF THE EDITOR.
    Although the new EULA is abysmal and terrible, we are exaggerating the differences between the old and new one.

Now, the most important thing... let's don't look at this new EULA and what it means. The question is:
    IF YOU WORK ON 1.26 + JNGP or 1.29 + SharpCraft SHOULD YOU BE BOTHERED BY NEW EULA OR NOT?
    Without ever using or even downloading Deforged.
    How does it work under the law?

13. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you don't sign the new EULA then it doesn't apply to you. You have to agree to variation of contract.

14. MooNek

MooNek

Resources:
    Resources:
    So they can't say something like "This is our policy now even if you use older versions you agree to that by using any version of WE"?
    If they can't do that... well nothing changes for me, 1.29 should be the official community supported version.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It might work retroactively like bank contracts always changing.

Yet, there's no always online custom games database like the Arcade of StarCraft II, your maps aren't directly uploaded to Battle.net but only used via it to be played. So, I'm not sure how it exactly works. I assume you could potentially get away with it in this case.

16. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you use older versions, Blizz couldn't do anything to you anyways. Bnet no longer supports those versions, and they don't need bnet, or internet access, to run. Thus, banning you is out of the question. Sue you? Maybe they could, but they won't. Such a large company won't waste time and resources to sue some guy playing an older patch.

17. MooNek

MooNek

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sue one guy - yea, not happening
    Sue the 2nd IceFrog if there ever will be one - more chances of happening, but that's rare case
    Sending Cease and desist to whole communities who agree on the old patch - very likely in my opinion

But yet that is what I will advocate for. Choose version, host everything on our own.

A sad world we live in right now, that's for sure...

18. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh I agree, they wouldn't let another dota happen. That's what the EULA is there for, likely. But for people just playing and modding older patches, I doubt they would, or even could, do anything. The new EULA came with Reforged, and wasn't signed by anyone playing older patches. It's not illegal to play older patches, either.

19. Blarto

Blarto

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I think that's a flimsy defence for reasons that are outside the scope of this topic in my opinion, but its a layer of defence nontheless, I guess.

.w3x file can be hex edited to spoof any editor version you want. Not rocket science either.

20. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    Alright so... time to migrate to the DotA 2 modding, I guess?