• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Does anyone have access to any of Warcraft 2's fonts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm working on a project and was wondering if anyone knew what font Warcraft 2 uses for its UI, the maps, the subtitles on interludes, etc. Anything would be useful for me at this point. I can't access any TTF fonts in the MPQ, so even just lookalikes would be nice. I can't seem to find anything online specifically for Warcraft 2... just later games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Check there is not a font map sprite sheet. I am unsure how Warcraft II encoded its sprites but many classic games use a sprite sheet to hold all character glyphs. This is especially the case with games that were designed around sprite based graphic acceleration such as offered by older video game consoles and early graphic accelerator cards for PCs.

If there is not one then maybe it is using standard/default OS provided fonts? If it used something like GDI for graphics composition then it might have access to these.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
It is a shot in the dark, but maybe Wargus can convert the assets of the game into something you may be comfortable with?
- Wargus - Official Site
- Wargus/wargus - GitHub

For the record, Wargus can convert the data of both the Battle.net and the MS-DOS version of the game, so they are suitable for the Stratagus game engine.

** Update! **

You can find out here where the fonts are stored and which offset of the exe is calling them, in the MS-DOS version of the game.

** Update #2! **

Maybe of possible interest to you are:
- War2 fonts (.fnt) - War2.ru
- fontBlizzard - Bitbucket
- Index of /war2/Utils/Modding/Graphics/Fonts - War2.ru

[...] I can't seem to find anything online specifically for Warcraft 2... just later games.

For anything WC2-modding related, I would definitively explore this forum:
Warcraft II Forum - Mods & Development - War2.ru

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.