• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do YOU think World of Warcraft is losing its edge?

Do YOU think World of Warcraft is losing its edge?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
i voted yes but it really depends on the perspective of the person playing, what i mean is when i first started playing i was in awe of how awsome it really was way back in the vanilla days, about 4 months before BC actually and then there was outland which was really sick to but later i just lost intrest and slowley started to get away for the most part. about 2 months after downing illidan my video card on my computer went out and needed to be replaced, 4 weeks in the shop was the longest ive ever been away from wow at that time and when i got my computer back i sold my account and almost never turned back. started playing on WOWscape after that just to PVP every once in awhile.

Level 17
i voted yes but it really depends on the perspective of the person playing, what i mean is when i first started playing i was in awe of how awsome it really was way back in the vanilla days, about 4 months before BC actually and then there was outland which was really sick to but later i just lost intrest and slowley started to get away for the most part. about 2 months after downing illidan my video card on my computer went out and needed to be replaced, 4 weeks in the shop was the longest ive ever been away from wow at that time and when i got my computer back i sold my account and almost never turned back. started playing on WOWscape after that just to PVP every once in awhile.
Nostalgia.

Level 45
I dont think so (i think its still got its vibes), apparently its getting growing numbers and is still the leading mmorpg game in the world. So many people seem to be excited with cataclysm and blizzard regularly maintains and updates wow, offering a constant and decent service. I mean, just because some people got tired of wow before this poll was started doesn't represent the rest of people who do play wow regularly still.

it all varies on opinion, some people are tired of wow because you have the group that liked the old pre BC wow, then you have the ones that were in wow the whole time, then some that joined after BC and liked it etc, some arnt playing anymore, some are getting into it as a newb, some are...yeah..you get the point :/

Level 6
I voted no. I quoted this from a private server forum(not telling which :p)

It was actually pretty bad back then ._.

-Carry 20 people because they're eating/sleeping/watching TV? You bet!
-The lag feels like you're constantly in Dalaran? Oh joy!
-2 epics being distributed to 40 different people? Awesome!
-Over half the raid d/cing every 10 minutes? Why hell, let's do this thing right now!

The point is, there are a number of good reasons Blizzard took out 40-man raids. It was never better than now. Almost NOTHING in Pre-TBC was better than now and those who disagree will grow up to be those old people in the park who rant about how they walked in the snow for 5 miles to get to school.

EDIT: And lol @ claiming there were skilled players back then. Nearly every class could one-shot each other. If you think modern WoW PVP is a burstfest, you've obviously never played Pre-TBC.

I suppose you enjoyed waiting around hours for the rest of the 39 people to show up?

I suppose you liked farming the same instance forever if you weren't in a good guild, not to mention farming mats just to get prep'd?

Perhaps getting one-shotted/two-shotted by every Hunter/Shaman/Warrior/Rogue in PVP was more to your liking?

I've been playing since 2005, kid. It was TERRIBLE back then. The only reason people claim it's so much better is because of the nostalgia factor. If you actually bother to listen to Blizz once in a while instead of complain about WotLK, you would know Blizz never meant for WoW to be some sort of hardcore crap like Everquest or FFXI.

Just about every guild who had Blackrock Spire on farm failed to get past the wave of trash in Naxx40, let alone the first boss.

And then guilds being required to have like 8 Tanks with 4/8 T3 just so they could tank and pull 4Horseman without fail.

Let's not forget Loatheb and how you had to rely on pot heals because all the Healers had to focus on the Tanks and take turns healing due to going OOM. And dear god, the amount of farming for mats for that fight.

Naxx40 was the most overtuned instance ever released for it's time.

Level 5
I voted no. I quoted this from a private server forum(not telling which :p)

It was actually pretty bad back then ._.

-Carry 20 people because they're eating/sleeping/watching TV? You bet!
-The lag feels like you're constantly in Dalaran? Oh joy!
-2 epics being distributed to 40 different people? Awesome!
-Over half the raid d/cing every 10 minutes? Why hell, let's do this thing right now!

The point is, there are a number of good reasons Blizzard took out 40-man raids. It was never better than now. Almost NOTHING in Pre-TBC was better than now and those who disagree will grow up to be those old people in the park who rant about how they walked in the snow for 5 miles to get to school.

EDIT: And lol @ claiming there were skilled players back then. Nearly every class could one-shot each other. If you think modern WoW PVP is a burstfest, you've obviously never played Pre-TBC.

I suppose you enjoyed waiting around hours for the rest of the 39 people to show up?

I suppose you liked farming the same instance forever if you weren't in a good guild, not to mention farming mats just to get prep'd?

Perhaps getting one-shotted/two-shotted by every Hunter/Shaman/Warrior/Rogue in PVP was more to your liking?

I've been playing since 2005, kid. It was TERRIBLE back then. The only reason people claim it's so much better is because of the nostalgia factor. If you actually bother to listen to Blizz once in a while instead of complain about WotLK, you would know Blizz never meant for WoW to be some sort of hardcore crap like Everquest or FFXI.

Just about every guild who had Blackrock Spire on farm failed to get past the wave of trash in Naxx40, let alone the first boss.

And then guilds being required to have like 8 Tanks with 4/8 T3 just so they could tank and pull 4Horseman without fail.

Let's not forget Loatheb and how you had to rely on pot heals because all the Healers had to focus on the Tanks and take turns healing due to going OOM. And dear god, the amount of farming for mats for that fight.

Naxx40 was the most overtuned instance ever released for it's time.

have you ever played on a private server? let me tell you, you get your monies worth or should i say lack there of. all the above is true because its a private server.

Level 7
Ironic how Aesthetics said all the people who voted no aren't supporting their claim.

Since the people who said no are the only ones who gave any real logic (You know, that term logos, with the induction, and deduction) to their premise.

WoW is constantly evolving or at least that is how it appears to me, and this consistent change (whew oxymoron) is what keeps me interested. Any game you play over and over again will eventually become easy, and that doesn't suffice to say that Blizzard is indeed making PvE easier. If you want to get into the more hardcore sector of WoW start playing Arenas.

Level 4
I used to be an extreme WoW fan, but ever since the recent Expansion, WoTLK and the new Instances and Raids, its becoming too easy and boring.. ive stopped playing WoW now because all i do is wander around Orgrimmar...

Voted YES

I think the same than you :thumbs_up:
And... If WoW innovates it would be much better. The expansions are only a big addons of NPC and objects and lands... the game needs serious changes :con:

Level 6
Community wise, it still has massive amounts of players. So in that respect the game still has its edge because its a multiplayer game.

I voted yes because I feel that anytime a game (specially MMO's) is made easier, it loses it's "edge". With WoW, they are making it easier to get to the higher, funner levels so that you can get into it and continue paying Blizzard money. WoW began as a fun, cool MMO in a great game universe. Slowly, they seem to have lost interest in this and only want to make money so they through dumb crap in it like better XP gain, lower level for mounting and stupid items and side junk (murloc suit, zehera mount, etc). The whole focus of the game now seems to try and get people to play, not to make it better.

Sorry for the long post.

Level 5
Community wise, it still has massive amounts of players. So in that respect the game still has its edge because its a multiplayer game.

I voted yes because I feel that anytime a game (specially MMO's) is made easier, it loses it's "edge". With WoW, they are making it easier to get to the higher, funner levels so that you can get into it and continue paying Blizzard money. WoW began as a fun, cool MMO in a great game universe. Slowly, they seem to have lost interest in this and only want to make money so they through dumb crap in it like better XP gain, lower level for mounting and stupid items and side junk (murloc suit, zehera mount, etc). The whole focus of the game now seems to try and get people to play, not to make it better.

Sorry for the long post.

thugh i do believe its lost its edge i disagree with most of what you said. Blizzard is NOT in it for the money (and i will explain this at the bottom of the post). yes thier biggest number of clients are those who A. dont have time to do things the hard way and B. are just bad and cant do things the hard way so of course they have to tone it down for these people as this is where thier income is coming from. the reason i say they are not in it for the money though is if you recall the blizzard rules is says something along the lines of no selling/buying/payed power level toons and no buying gold. now if blizzard only wanted money not only would they allow these two things to continue but they would offer it thierselves and cut-out the middle man. every buisness needs to turn a profit but just because they need to doesnt mean they are greedy about it.

Level 6
I voted "Yes" due to WotLK lacking in... "new" features. Raids, dungeons, items, zones, +10 level cap, vehicles, Wintergrasp, new models what more could I ask for?

I don't know. Maybe something new and unique.

She does kinda have a point lol. Naxx80 for example.

I do like the ulduar vehicles, though.

Level 3
I voted no. However I don't play wow anymore, I got tired of it. But the fact that over 10 million people actually play it speaks for itself.

Level 11
I voted no.
A lot of people say that the Burning Crusade ruined the game, but I disagree.
The origonal game was INSANELY hard. It was impossible. The tanks had to work so hard and they got all the loot without question. No one else could fight with them. The burning crusade made it POSSIBLE to do things, but it was still pretty hard. And raids still didn't get outdated, like Kara was done by people in BT still. The heroics were still hard, you couldn't just go in and out. Yes, Wrath of the Lich King made a lot of things easier. Like naxx, it was done pretty much till Ulduar, then the only use for it was Badge runs. And when ToC came out, it was just never done. In Rise of the Lich King, badge runs were useless because you could do random heroics. But, the newer raids like Ice crown citidel and still Ony and ToC are hard, but they will prolly stop being raided. The heroics are easy as hell, but it gives even if you do heroics all day long you can't just get everything you want. It gives you the feel that you are working for something.
Cataclysm does have quite a bit of promise, even though the guild leveling system will screw kinda make leveling at lower levels easy, they seemed to be investing a lot in making level 80-85 hard.
Btw, Screw worgen. Goblins all the way.

Level 9
I voted Yes, I still play but it's getting worse and worse:

1) Though testing fights on the PTR helps find bugs, final encounters aren't. Every end-raid boss bugs, worst of all Blizzard just banned the worlds top guild for falling victim to a bug in ICC25.

2) Classes are buffed and nerfed every week, Blizzard cannot make up their mind, pvp changes affect pve and vice versa.

3) Server population, Some servers have a ratio of 98% ally to 2% horde, free transfers open and begin to populate the realm - when it's clear their is progress they close it off. Automatically the guilds lose their lifeline for new recruits and people transfer off (Experienced this myself).

4) Levelling, though Blizzard are making it easier to level... it's still as boring as hell - it needs to be more varied, interesting and more fun!

5) $$$ - Players can now purchase pets for their WoW characters online (Also the fact that America saved £3 more then europeans on this!)

6) Banned in China... China made up for 5million of the 12 million players it had.

7) MMOFPS, SC2, D3 all at the same time. Blizzard have lost their focus on their key number one product.

8) ONLY reason WoW has been so successful? Because every other mmo out their happens to be completley fucking shit. I'm praying Bioware's mmo will be the WoW killers (though that's what everyone says about every new mmo!)

Level 1
WoW is for long,long time 1st in mmorpg categories...blizzard will never let it end...so i don't think WoW has an edge...is going round,round without ending...i vote NO..and i've never play WoW...i'm WC3 dota fan...(playing WC3 from 2004 and i don't think i will ever stop...i'm not a game maniac,is just...is nice to have something to do in ur free time)

Level 11
For people who are saying TBC was bad... you are listening to the small amount of people who quit the game because they want the old BC back too bad. What happend was some people were disapointed about TBC, and said that they want the old WoW. then, they told other people, and it spread. TBC made WoW actually possible so that people could actually play it but not too easy so that people could get t6 without even trying. WotLK was a big screw up, I admit. It is simply too easy. But in TBC doing heroics would actually give you gear you would KEEP for a while, instead of in WotLK you only did it for the Badges.
Blizzard is planning to make Cataclysm a huge remake of WoW, and plans to bring up the lost skinn a lot of people complain about.

I like wow because blizzard is an effing jenius(I misspelled that on-purpose) when it comes to all their stuffz. I have like 75 internetz on wow.

Okay here's my serious answer that up there^ was just me getting the stuff out my system. So, here it is, I really like how they make so many references, they have so much lore, and all that stuff. I love how they made an entire world, because that large, ever-changing world keeps me interested.

Level 6
I voted Yes, I still play but it's getting worse and worse:

1) Though testing fights on the PTR helps find bugs, final encounters aren't. Every end-raid boss bugs, worst of all Blizzard just banned the worlds top guild for falling victim to a bug in ICC25.

2) Classes are buffed and nerfed every week, Blizzard cannot make up their mind, pvp changes affect pve and vice versa.

3) Server population, Some servers have a ratio of 98% ally to 2% horde, free transfers open and begin to populate the realm - when it's clear their is progress they close it off. Automatically the guilds lose their lifeline for new recruits and people transfer off (Experienced this myself).

4) Levelling, though Blizzard are making it easier to level... it's still as boring as hell - it needs to be more varied, interesting and more fun!

5) $$$ - Players can now purchase pets for their WoW characters online (Also the fact that America saved £3 more then europeans on this!)

6) Banned in China... China made up for 5million of the 12 million players it had.

7) MMOFPS, SC2, D3 all at the same time. Blizzard have lost their focus on their key number one product.

8) ONLY reason WoW has been so successful? Because every other mmo out their happens to be completley fucking shit. I'm praying Bioware's mmo will be the WoW killers (though that's what everyone says about every new mmo!)

6) It was not blizzards fault because it was banned in China. China banned it because blizzard wanted to include Panderens for races. But since it would involve killing pandas, China banned it. -.-

4) Leveling is really not suppose to really be fun. It can be fun if you are doing it with your friends, though. The leveling leads up the the great end-game content. What do you propose we do to stop this boring grinding?

3) Not really blizzards fault. Some people just choose the horde over the alliance, or the alliance over the horde.

5) ???

2) Things change. People are just gonna have to suck it up.

1) :eek:

7) True :'(

8) Also true. :p

Sorry about the randomness.

Last edited:

Deleted member 152855

D

Deleted member 152855

Ok. This thread might be dead, but the forum itself pushed me into it so my 2 cents:

I think WoW completely destroyed the great story-arc of Warcraft 3 RoC & TFT!

1) Night Elves building a new WorldTree in the ocean?!? WTF? The old one will regenerate in time, damn it!

2) Undead with the Horde?!?! NO WAY! Ever!

3) Warlocks in the Horde?! I don't think so. If Thrall would do one thing, then it would be banishing or fighting any orc, troll or what ever who deals with demons.

4) Night Elves part of the Alliance. While the two fractions might have less difficulties then the Orcs and the NE (killing Cenarius and such...) they are far to reclusive and OLD! to ally them with any one EXCEPT the Furbolgs!

5) BC: Blood Elves with the Horde?!? Why that?! Some Alliance High Elves might become Blood Elves after they suffered the loss of Quel'Thalas but as IRC the Blood Elves are the direct survivors of Quel'Thalas under the lead of Prince Kael'Thas and they joined ILLIDAN!!!

6) Gnomes... Gnomes. What do I have to say more.

7) What happend to the remaining High Elves on Kalimdor. They are still there!! They fought the last Battle! Damn it. Not all of them became Blood Elves!

8) Draenai. Oh common! A space ship?! A SPACE SHIP?!?!? Besides there already are Draenei, living in Outland (the Broken) - and they too serve ILLIDAN now.

9) With the third add-on they jumped the shark. Goblins for the Horde? If we know anything of Goblins, than that they sell everything to anyone and only affiliate to one side - their own!
And of course the Worgen. What's that?! Tell me!
We NEVER EVER heard of this race in all previous games before!!
Because Werwolves are so cool - or why do they add them?

If Blizzard had made WoW not only to make as much money as possible but also to develop the story further on its existing track, they had used High Elves instead of Night Elves, dropped the Gnomes and Forsaken and had introduced a third Faction with the first add on "Burning Crusade":
Illidan's Forces (or what ever) including: The Naga, The Blood Elves and The Forsaken.
Hey! The Forsaken Leader is Sylvanas Windrunner - remember?! She is/was an Elf too!

Level 13
Well, i think the game has becume too easy! I mean, everybody can get the newest Tier (9.5) sets now! There is nothing about skillz any longer!!!

Level 19
Ok. This thread might be dead, but the forum itself pushed me into it so my 2 cents:

I think WoW completely destroyed the great story-arc of Warcraft 3 RoC & TFT!

1) Night Elves building a new WorldTree in the ocean?!? WTF? The old one will regenerate in time, damn it!

2) Undead with the Horde?!?! NO WAY! Ever!

3) Warlocks in the Horde?! I don't think so. If Thrall would do one thing, then it would be banishing or fighting any orc, troll or what ever who deals with demons.

4) Night Elves part of the Alliance. While the two fractions might have less difficulties then the Orcs and the NE (killing Cenarius and such...) they are far to reclusive and OLD! to ally them with any one EXCEPT the Furbolgs!

5) BC: Blood Elves with the Horde?!? Why that?! Some Alliance High Elves might become Blood Elves after they suffered the loss of Quel'Thalas but as IRC the Blood Elves are the direct survivors of Quel'Thalas under the lead of Prince Kael'Thas and they joined ILLIDAN!!!

6) Gnomes... Gnomes. What do I have to say more.

7) What happend to the remaining High Elves on Kalimdor. They are still there!! They fought the last Battle! Damn it. Not all of them became Blood Elves!

8) Draenai. Oh common! A space ship?! A SPACE SHIP?!?!? Besides there already are Draenei, living in Outland (the Broken) - and they too serve ILLIDAN now.

9) With the third add-on they jumped the shark. Goblins for the Horde? If we know anything of Goblins, than that they sell everything to anyone and only affiliate to one side - their own!
And of course the Worgen. What's that?! Tell me!
We NEVER EVER heard of this race in all previous games before!!
Because Werwolves are so cool - or why do they add them?

If Blizzard had made WoW not only to make as much money as possible but also to develop the story further on its existing track, they had used High Elves instead of Night Elves, dropped the Gnomes and Forsaken and had introduced a third Faction with the first add on "Burning Crusade":
Illidan's Forces (or what ever) including: The Naga, The Blood Elves and The Forsaken.
Hey! The Forsaken Leader is Sylvanas Windrunner - remember?! She is/was an Elf too!

1) Right, the roots were burned to death, so it has only a really small chance to revive.
2) It's called; 'tactical thinking'. Surely, Thrall would need an ally in Lordaeron to keep the Scarlet Crusade and Scourge in check?
3) Gameplay reasons.
4) Alliance could prove useful to the Elves, seeing as their forests are despoiled by the Warsong Outriders.
5) It's kinda hard to take all people with you in a country as large as Quel'thalas.
6) Gnomes were in Warcraft II.
7) The Highbourne never fought on the Battle of Mount Hyjal and stayed hidden in Eldra'thalas. They are absolutely not High Elves.
8) No, they don't. Akama betrayed Illidan.
9) It's profitable for the Goblins to stay in the Horde as the Alliance kinda attacked them, they have friendly relations with the Orcs and their island got blown up.

If they did that, the game wouldn't be as good as it was.

GAMEPLAY REASONS, PEOPLE

Level 24
I´m verry desepoited with WoW I was hoping their next expansion whould be about Ysera and the Emerald Dreams but instead Blizzard choosed her brother Neltharion to be the main character in this.

Level 20
Hopefully... it's become waaay to popular for it's own good, I see nothing good about it, anywhere. It's become a typical 'nerd' association, people reference it in films and everything.

Then again... I supposed a bigger income, means a better sc2/d3 so... :/ I dunno

I think it is losing it's edge, might be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

EDIT: If gw2 lives up to it's reputation, WoW will have some serious competition.

Level 5
I've liked wow from the start and i still like it, but yh tbh the game is going downhill, but it's still a good game. I just dont play it anymore because well, its a rip off... So i voted yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.