• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Divorce Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Hakeem, I said in my first post on the subject in this thread that correlation did indeed not imply causation, but this was quite a good correlation and thus

• At least suggested that lack of gun control didn't help much assuming it bore no responsibility for causing violence.
  • The countries aren't exactly polar opposites so a few key differences can highlight many of the different results.
  • It's a pretty damn good correlation.

Hakeem said:
You're kidding right? Either that or you are dangerously uninformed with regards to history. As someone who prefers to think critically, it is your duty to be one of the people who knows history, so as to not have the negative of it repeat.
Obviously many countries have trouble with this. However, the USA has had fairly stable government for the last while, as has Canada to the north and several western European countries.

Also keep in mind most of the dictatorships in Western Europe this century (Germany and Italy specifically) were voted in, rather than forcing themselves in.

Hakeem said:
They also serve as a powerful deterrent to potential assailants.
Not at all. As pointed out, if they think you might shoot back, they're likely to shoot you first rather than just point a gun at you and walk off with your stuff.

Hakeem said:
Yes. However, we disagree on how humans work. You attribute gun control to the waving, whereas I attribute it to the world without gun control. Similarly, you attribute being shot to the world without gun control, and I attribute it to the one without guns.
There is little reason to shoot the person if you will be in far more trouble having shot them, have no great desire to shoot them, and are not threatened by them. However, if you are in danger of being shot by then should you not shoot them first, you can bet the person will be a little trigger happy.

Hakeem said:
Aside from it being Bad ScienceTM, [citation needed].
Google it if you will. These aren't exactly uncommon statistics to be brought up.

Level 27
I would not kill someone stealing my wallet. At best I would kick his ass beyond recognition, but definitely not kill him.
If he's got a gun, you'd better have some sort of dangerous weapon too. Of course you might be referring to your physical abilities, but you didn't specifically mention that. :p
it works pretty well.
So it would seem from your singular standpoint.
My brother is used to come at home without knocking at the door. Lately, we were threatened by phone. Being paranoiac and stuff, if I had a gun I'd probably end up shooting my brother.
You're too paranoid to fire at someone without identifying them as stranger or not.
One last fact, some of my quite daredevil friends, sometimes (on special festive days) come into houses in the evening just for fun, and it usually turns into parties with the regular inhabitants. No doubt they would have been shot in a country without gun-control, for something a bit "wrong" but really harmless in fact.
I have strong doubts that this is the case. Ownership of a gun does not change you. If the people in that area do that often as you say they do, then would they be the type to keep a loaded gun present?
I guess it might aswel come from a difference in the private property notion.
Yes. It takes a completely different type of person to use a gun in the above scenario.
Your lawn? Says who? There is no ownership of land in nature.
The land I normally inhabit and like to call my home and whatnot. My house is built there. I could draw a line with my urine if you'd like. That tends to happen a lot in nature. :p
So you admit it is a ficticious invention,
As with money, yes.
created for pragmatic purposes by the state, and thus may be interfered with by the state?
But not created by the state. This concept was first created in the human scope by two people who wanted to use the same thing at the same time but could not. They came to an agreement that was understood on both sides so as to settle future disputes over this object.
So what you're saying is that breach of the law which endangers others does not justify the state taking action to stop you?
No. Merely possessing a gun does not endanger the safety of the public, nor does it justify being killed. Upon reflection, I am not sure if the policy you described executed fatal shootings. Rubber bullets are easily justifiable since they are not lethal to the majority of the human surface. However, this same argument can be used to justify ownership of my own non-lethal device of similar nature.
Obeying legitimately crafted laws is part of the social contract.
Whether or not it is legitimate is part of what this debate entails to determine.
Breach that, and the state, according to most political philosophers, most definitely does have the right to intervene. Most other political philosophers would justify it, too, but from different approaches.
As will I. In the ideal of anarchy, everyone has the right to intervene on others actions. Everyone has the right to do anything of course, but phrasing it in this manner emphasizes a particular aspect of complete freedom. This means you can intervene on the invention of others. When given a group of people, a person trying to rob a bank, and firearms in the hands of all present, the majority of people will take intervening action on the robbers actions. As I would expect most people to notice in this scenario, the robber has a high probability to lose his life:
Tyranny of the gun-wielding nutters > tyranny of the majority government...
I wont rephrase this quote to clarify some of the different ideas here, but I will note that anarchic justice is expected to be much harsher than any system of laws. However, possessing anarchic freedom, the majority of the members are likely to agree on certain principles. If everyone in the bank that day agrees on certain principles, the robber might avoid a death sentence. If a single person does not agree, and ends up shooting the robber, the majority may punish him in return. I'd personally discourage both actions in the previous sentence. Neither does the thief need to be deprived of life, nor does the person who felt the robber deserved to be deprived of life need to face negative consequences at the hands of the majority.
Carrying around a concealed weapon in public is illegal and a threat to the public.
No more so for the people than the officers. Less so by the logic that people in power tend to be corrupt. To argue what the ideal state of the law should be, and to use the current state of the law as a reason to justify the current state of the law, is circular logic. Why should it be this way? Because it is this way. What it is, is what we are debating.
That threat needs to be dealt with.
Yes. But it is not a threat until it is used. The human body is a very powerful weapon. (Not to mention just about everything has lethal abilities.) It is a threat, but not everybody is going to threaten the life of another. It's the ones that actually do that we have any reason to act against. Anything short of that is paranoia.
And the less the reason to shoot other people.
For the majority of people, them holding a weapon does not, in itself, give you reason to shoot them. This is paranoia.
A guns culture leads to more guns being available, leads to more firearms accidents,
More accidents leads to greater awareness, leads to more people able to avoid accidents, leads to greater population safety when the time comes that they need to use guns.
more heat-of-the-moment shootings, and more murders in crimes involving guns.
Yes. From a primitive perspective this is true. Humans are not so primitive however. Most humans realize that that very action is greatly looked down upon by the majority. About the only people who do not realize this are people with mental defects. It is looked down upon with such veracity that, doing this action becomes a direct threat to your life. Most everybody tries to avoid dying, and killing another person is one of the biggest things you can do to endanger your life. This threat is amplified enormously when everyone is armed.
Social sciences, dude. Really.
As far as I'm concerned, they are bad sciences, in the sense of science being verifiable. This is why I use logic in the context of this subject. If I forget an aspect, my only hope is that someone notices. I do thank you guys for being my other heads. It is much better than having one. :D
Ad hominem attacks while asking us not to flame...? Really, wtf...? Lol...
Mine is not an ad hominem argument, because I am not diverting the subject to the person behind the argument. I attack the argument. I also threw in the stuff about people being bad logicians to test its accuracy. Additionally, my only actions that can be conceived as inflammatory are towards you and PurplePoot. I figure you guys can take it. ;)
The countries aren't exactly polar opposites so a few key differences can highlight many of the different results.
Okay. Key difference: Americans don't have free universal health care. Direct threat to life, need money to live, can't get money by working hard, etc..
It's a pretty damn good correlation.
No, it's a pretty convenient correlation. See the table. The "Logical Person" justifies the laws that they are immersed in.
Obviously many countries have trouble with this. However, the USA has had fairly stable government for the last while, as has Canada to the north and several western European countries.
You know as well as I do that governments are not created corrupt to start off. They have to please the people to start at all.
Also keep in mind most of the dictatorships in Western Europe this century (Germany and Italy specifically) were voted in, rather than forcing themselves in.
You would have be believe mere voting right leads to complete liberty?
Not at all. As pointed out, if they think you might shoot back, they're likely to shoot you first rather than just point a gun at you and walk off with your stuff.
Ah. That's the logic.

This scenario works in an isolated duel. If both of you are likely to kill each other, it is wise to shoot first. This is not the case in which I have been basing my logic. My logic presumes a majority is present, which is the case most of the time. If you go away from this protective group, you decrease safety. It is not justified to require of society that you are safe when away from it.

It is wise to shoot you in this case, because you are a witness. Nobody is even around to witness or react to the murder. If they shoot you, they have a much greater chance to succeed in their criminal endeavors.
There is little reason to shoot the person if you will be in far more trouble having shot them,
If you're doing something that is against the law, in a situation that a life is being used as a bargaining chip, then I have doubts about your ability to properly weigh you long term consequences.
have no great desire to shoot them, and are not threatened by them.
Except that they are an eyewitness and will likely call the cops the instant they can.
Would you have me put words in your mouth or you choose your own?

Level 14
But not created by the state. This concept was first created in the human scope by two people who wanted to use the same thing at the same time but could not. They came to an agreement that was understood on both sides so as to settle future disputes over this object.

Except we're not in agreement, so the state is dictating to me.

No. Merely possessing a gun does not endanger the safety of the public, nor does it justify being killed. Upon reflection, I am not sure if the policy you described executed fatal shootings. Rubber bullets are easily justifiable since they are not lethal to the majority of the human surface. However, this same argument can be used to justify ownership of my own non-lethal device of similar nature.

Only a lethal one-shot take down is truly safe.

As will I. In the ideal of anarchy, everyone has the right to intervene on others actions. Everyone has the right to do anything of course, but phrasing it in this manner emphasizes a particular aspect of complete freedom. This means you can intervene on the invention of others. When given a group of people, a person trying to rob a bank, and firearms in the hands of all present, the majority of people will take intervening action on the robbers actions. As I would expect most people to notice in this scenario, the robber has a high probability to lose his life:

Except the robbers will then just shoot everyone, and they're better organised and prepared.

Blargh, I have a social life to attend to.

Level 27
Except we're not in agreement, so the state is dictating to me.
Who said anything about the state? I figured we had an agreement, but since we don't, we're liable to get into a physical fight. State or otherwise, if we cant agree on a usage plan, what do you expect to happen?
Except the robbers will then just shoot everyone, and they're better organised and prepared.
They are overwhelmed by shear numbers. Plus you changed the scenario. My scenario was of a single robber, or very few robbers, which is most often the case. Majority vs. a couple of people is pretty simple. If you want to go into unorganized majority vs. organized group, then by all means do so. Of course the majority being unorganized cannot be assumed to be the most common case for an anarchy. After all, most of us tend towards some form of structure. People are free to make rules in an anarchy.
murder rates
They do not appear to be specifying firearm homicide. Yes, it does matter because we would have to go into the statistics per country of other types of homicide. They are not going to be in the same ratio for every country.

Either way, America doesn't have free universal health care. That sounds like pretty damn good justification of an increase in all around murder to me.

Only a lethal one-shot take down is truly safe.

Seriously? That's actually... Really, really sad. Without guns, there's a fair playing field, unless the other guy is a tank. I love how Americans are so quick to jump up in a situation and flaunt their puny guns. Those weapons were meant for the armies, not a collection of hicks with no self-control.

If weapons stayed in the army, this discussion wouldn't be going on. I blame the founding fathers, they should have been more specific on the 'right to bear arms' thing, like adding in some sort of expiry date to it, so we wouldn't have one dumbshit shoot another dumbshit over something as petty as, say... The semi-finals of whichever sport they may be watching.

Has anyone else noticed that all the points you're bringing up now, have all been touched upon a few pages back?

Level 14
If weapons stayed in the army, this discussion wouldn't be going on. I blame the founding fathers, they should have been more specific on the 'right to bear arms' thing, like adding in some sort of expiry date to it, so we wouldn't have one dumbshit shoot another dumbshit over something as petty as, say... The semi-finals of whichever sport they may be watching.

You're right. They should have added some reference to a well regulated militia, or something.

Oh...wait...

Level 35
not a collection of hicks with no self-control.

If I may...

These 'hicks with no self control' are actually the most responsible gun owners that you will ever see.

Hunters, outdoors men, people that you would call a 'hillbilly/redneck' even though they merely have an accent, live in rural areas, and wear camouflage when they hunt (duh?)...they aren't idiots with their guns. They are experts in their use, and in their safe use especially.

It is rare that a 'hick' shoots someone. They know the fragility of life and death, they deal with it every deer season.

Infact it is more likely that you yourself have a better chance of killing someone either by accident or design, than one of these 'hicks' will. Simply because the 'hick' has experience and knowledge in how to use, hold, and maintain safety around, a gun. You most likely do not...(I assume here that you do not have guns)

Level 14
Well El, the US has a higher firearm killing rate than countries with gun control, so apparently not.

What your graphs/charts didn't show was HOW the killing/death/murder/crime happened.

What Elenai said is true. The vast majority of hunters are very good with firearms because they've grown up with them and to respect them their entire lives.

Of course accidents happen. What's that quote? "To err is to be human" ?

I'm sure there are more deaths/crimes in NYC and LA by gun related violence than by said "hicks."

Level 14
My point is that no matter how careful you are with a gun, you're still less likely to kill someone without one.

No matter how careful you are with a knife, you're still less likely to kill someone without one.

Not saying you're wrong. Personally, I don't like guns very much, but if someone really wants to kill someone, gun or no gun, they are going to find a way.

The people that kill with guns are the gansters and mobsters and thugs, not hunters.

Unless, of course, you're hunting people :D

Level 27
Without guns, there's a fair playing field, unless the other guy is a tank.
That what makes it pretty fair with guns. Each person has about the same level of lethality.
Those weapons were meant for the armies,
We should probably get rid of the guns that police use too then.
I blame the founding fathers, they should have been more specific on the 'right to bear arms' thing, like adding in some sort of expiry date to it, so we wouldn't have one dumbshit shoot another dumbshit over something as petty as, say... The semi-finals of whichever sport they may be watching.
Maybe they had good reason. They probably should have included that black people are not equal too. What were they thinking?
The US sucks on pretty much every crime statistic.
This supports my conclusion that it isn't the guns doing it. If it can be guns, why not other weapons? Perhaps I ought to find some statistics of health care quality and crime rates.
Well El, the US has a higher firearm killing rate than countries with gun control, so apparently not.
As Ephy touched upon, maybe I should look up statistics on who are doing the crimes and murders. Maybe America has a crime problem in general. Guns don't make criminals, the crime has to have some other reason to exist. Guns are just handy for criminals.

Level 40
This supports my conclusion that it isn't the guns doing it. If it can be guns, why not other weapons? Perhaps I ought to find some statistics of health care quality and crime rates.
How so?

As Ephy touched upon, maybe I should look up statistics on who are doing the crimes and murders. Maybe America has a crime problem in general. Guns don't make criminals, the crime has to have some other reason to exist. Guns are just handy for criminals.
As shown in Deaod's article, there are quite good correlations between gun ownership and crime.

Level 27
If it can be guns, why not other weapons?
As long as you correlate guns and violence, I can correlate lack of free universal health care with violence. When people are dying, they tend to get desperate. Right there is powerful motive.
As shown in Deaod's article, there are quite good correlations between gun ownership and crime.
I apologize. I was not aware that the quality of a correlation was determined by its convenience of relation.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. You can link someone using TL;DR statistics to say one thing, and I can link someone using even longer statistics to say another. You don't solve a problem by looking at it from one point of view, especially if that point of view is one that you happen to be fond of. They show a lot of statistics, and say a lot of things, but they don't show everything that could possibly affect the situation.

As I said before, any social science is bad science. The brain is much too complex for any correlation to have any merit.

What I found most interesting was that Japan's negative statistics were so very low. Not unexpected, but interesting nonetheless.

Level 27
That's part of why social sciences are bad sciences. You can't use deduction on a complex evolving algorithm. One experiment gets one result, and another experiment gets another. Or, one hundred experiments get one result and one gets another. It's like testing modern hardware for back doors.

Level 14
Your understanding of science is crappy. So what if you can't use deduction, and what proves you can't? You don't in science really anyway. And irregular results has nothing to do with deduction, and isn't really an argument against induction, just means the inductive results will be less clear.

Level 9
Rednecks ahoy! Australia gets free-health care, because you get guns, murder, violence, the mafia, grenade-launchers handed in to get food, an arch-enemy (Russia), and many others, such as Cherry Coke. He is... an idiot. I advise no-one join that group [Capitalism], because its got Andrew Ryan supporters [Samuraid], and brutal Kommandants.

Here is, Andrew Ryan's motto.

"I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

No, says the man in Washington; it belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican; it belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow; it belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...
Rapture."

Level 24
...? Is his negative impression of the United States based upon a science fiction game that takes place during the height of the Cold War? Why not base it on a contemporary game like Grand Theft Auto? And should somebody report him for something that is probably nonsensical and unfounded hatred?

Status
Not open for further replies.