1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shiiK, Nov 12, 2011.

1. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's more of a "Warcraft Cinematic Universe" sort of thing, actually. Movie canon and game canon are separate.

Though I'll be disappointed if Blizzard doesn't bring some of the ideas introduced in the movie to the games. Like (SPOILER ALERT) Garona being Medivh's daughter.

Mostly for the worse? You prefer the convoluted, less-than-straightforward mess that is the state of the lore in the games right now? Chronicle has done a lot to patch it up, granted, but until the other volumes come out it's STILL a convoluted mess I'll prefer the movie's take over.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd have preferred if WoW Cataclysm and beyond never happened.

3. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Honestly, I found it to be a solid film. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little dissapointed.

The separate canon was a tough pill to swallow. I get that they're trying to make their version of the MCU, and I wouldn't really have an issue with changes if they improved the storyline or pacing. But the problem is I don't really think they did. In some areas they actually worked against the plot and character development,
    Medivh not aging Khadgar is an example of a huge change from the books, one which will have a major impact on his character. Also he was the heir to Karazhan or something like that? That part just served to make his storyline more complicated than it needed to, instead of streamlining it for a casual audience.

The Dwarves and Elves already being in the Alliance (the fact that there even is one) takes away from the plot of the Second War and the creation of the Alliance. If they even plan on doing that. I don't really get why they did this either. We didn't even see the Elves or Dwarves doing anything. The dwarves were there to introduce a gun (which got used way too much for my taste) and we only saw the Elves in one scene. They might as well not be in there.

Lothar and Son plot was soapy and unnecessary. Also Lothar was portrayed very differently from his book counterpart. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he was kind of a dick.

Thing that pissed me off the most though was their portrayal of Orgrim Doomhammer. Not even mentioning that they made him a Frostwolf (this takes a lot of meaning away from his friendship with Durotan, and how unheard of it was among the orcs) but they make him a fucking traitor? That's just not the Doomhammer we know. His character in general was completely wasted in this movie. I thought they would at least give him his moment against Gul'dan or Blackhand for redemption, but no dice.
    It seems to me that alot of the changes were made just to make changes, which in my opinion is a bad practice. A lot of the areas were the film fell short, the source material got right.
    There were a few changes I actually liked though.
    Gul'dan reviving a stillborn Thrall was a really cool twist, and also a great explanation of why he is green in the new canon. It also set a great tone for the rest of the movie. I loved that.

The scene where they go through the portal was so awesome. Amazingly well made in my opinion.

I liked Llane having Garona stab him to save her, very nice twist. Even though it changes her whole character and her motivations, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I enjoyed how they gave Blackhand a little character instead of just making him a generic bad guy. But him going out like a bitch against Lothar was bullshit.

I would've liked Durotans death if not for the fact that he died for nothing. They set it up like this huge sacrifice that would open his peoples eyes. But it didn't. They might have compained a bit, but when the credits rolled they were still following Gul'dan. There was no payoff. Wasted opportunity for an otherwise well made and emotional death.

It did do a lot of things right, most notably the orcs. They were pretty amazing. Durotan was by far the best character in the movie. Garona was quite interesting, but I think she stood out too much compared to the normal orcs.
    I definately think it was a mistake for the movie to focus primarily on the humans, and it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks so. As far as I've seen, even casuals were more interested in the orcs.
    It was quite funny in some areas (Murloc!!) but the dialogue also felt incredibly cheesy in many areas, mostly among the humans. Amazing how the orcs seemed to have better acting than the humans.

All in all, it was decent film that suffers from some occasional cheesy dialogue and weird pacing, but has amazing visuals and interesting characters. As a long time fan of Warcraft lore though, I was put off by the huge amount of changes they made to the lore, most of which seemed unnecessary and didn't really further the plot.

One thing is for sure, it does not deserve the overwhelming hate it gets from critics. It was just as good as, if not better than, any of the MCU movies I've seen. I hope we'll get a Director's Cut with the missing 40 minutes that were allegedly cut. That's a fucking lot. I'm willing to bet that it changes pacing completely.

Wait, this was a thing?? I didn't pick up on that at all. When did they say this?

Also I doubt this will carry over to the games, since they have a son together (ugh) in the current canon.

Well, since the film is based on the First War, they wouldn't need any of the convoluted lore from current canon WoW. They could base it off the old books and games and it would still be pretty straight forward, and in many cases work better than what they did in the movie.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  4. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree pacing was a bit of an issue (though a second viewing changed that for me, personally), but I disagree about the lore changes. I think they made more sense narratively than the game's lore.

For example, Orgrim's native clan. It makes FAR more sense for him to be a Frostwolf and be Durotan's friend than to be a Blackrock and be Durotan's friend. Such a friendship would be easier to believe and more natural than if they'd gone with the Blackrock angle. I can't really buy into the idea he was Durotan's friend in the games. I know he was, but I just find it VERY difficult to believe since they never would have seen each other more than once a year. If anything they'd just be acquaintances that got along well together.

Yes, that was a thing Tauer. It's implied in the movie and confirmed in the novelization. I personally prefer that take since it means no half-draenei retcon and NO MED'AN! :D

And as much as I'd have loved for it to just be an adaptation of the Warcraft 1 manual, I feel the goal was to try to make the universe and lore at least SOMEWHAT recognizable. Most of the audience haven't even played the original Warcrafts, so going with something so radically different to the current lore would have turned audiences off even more.

Regardless, this is a Tauer's models thread not a movie thread, so... again, Tauer, any chance of a brown-haired Lothar variant like in Warcraft 1? :D

5. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    As far as I know, that both movies TED 1 and 2 is the greatest crude humor ever.. damn, It's.. it's fucking hard comedy maan. Bill Cosby in Starbucks fuckin' with Robin williams? darn pure crude jokes... I also like Mark Wahlberg starring there. :b

6. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So, we had discussed Game of Thrones a year ago. I've also been arguing with colleagues so bear with me. Today I finally watched the first episode. It only confirmed what I had deduced from what I had heard about it. There was a huge number of unnecessary sex scenes (not to mention rape and anal — call it doggy-style whatever you want, it's all the same, I'm referring to the last scene in the tower with the kid eavesdropping). Half of the episode is riddled with them and they fail to advance the story in any way. Note, as we had established previously, sex != nudism (even though a few of the scenes with nudism were also pointless to some extent, such as that one with the dwarf guy).

I was actually vaguely curious about the plot despite the large lack of character development. Because the season isn't available for sale or preview anywhere, I was forced to get it through less orthodox means and it took 4 hours. Because those means weight heavily on my old PC, I'm not interested in spending that time when it could have taken well half the time/size without those meaningless scenes in them. If I find an easier way to watch it, I might give it another try. But, overall, I don't know, it just seemed like the guy decided to throw a myriad of lifetime sex fantasies of all sorts with a semi-interesting plot. As I had foreseen, and judging by the fact recent seasons don't have as much of that, it only seemed like a cheap maneuver to attract people. It's just an episode and, as of the right now, other than the gruesome amorality, cruelty and all the aforementioned, there's nothing impressionable about this series to distinguish it from any other half-assed (pun not intended) medieval films. (Being a medieval series might play in its favor for me, I'll grant, as I generally prefer watching series over watching movies.)

7. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Although it is a motion picture, you might want to give Flesh and Blood a try. Careful, it is for mature audiences, and I am not kidding here. Some parts of it are hard to stomach.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_and_Blood_(1985_film)

This 1985 medieval movie was quite censored in some countries. It did not do very well at the US box-office ("too cynical and downbeat" to be a hit, according to director Paul Verhoeven).

His initial intent was to portray the moral ambiguity of its characters, and the Middle Ages as a "stinking time in which to live". And imho he more or less succeeded overall, despite the movie lacks dramatic unity. This is because multiple sources all wanted to take the film in different directions (and it shows).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  8. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not sure I read you right, but the tower scene ain't rape. It's secret consensual incest buttsecks. And it is kind of central to the plot because it's a hereditary monarchy. This starts to play out pretty early on in the first series even.

There's a lot of unnecessary shit to set the tone to edgy as fuck, that's no secret. But it doesn't really downplay the series as a whole. What's more annoying is that the story progression is painfully slow and convoluted, but I guess that's all part of the game of bones.

Hate it or love it, either way's fine and I've wrestled with both sides throughout, but just watching the first episode is really not giving the series an honest shot.

It's all available on HBO.

9. Gottfried

Gottfried

Resources:
    Resources:
    Who ever see Fargo? (The film, not the series)

10. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Watched a couple of Violent movies..
    Wolf Creek 2 (2013) - Well, I don't fucking watch piece of shit original films, but this film? Aw fuck yes, I love the Antagonist.. Beating up those cock sucking Government cops.. Yeah man, I love it. Best movie ever.. So yeah, Don't fuck with the Rednecks.. I respect that killer tho. Salute goes to him.

Green Room (2015 or maybe.. 2016 but I don't give a fuck on it.) - I only like the part when Anton Yelchin's arm got butchered as fuck.. but those skin heads are awesome.. I also like the part when Patrick Stewart became a Pro-nazi on the movie.. Damn. cool cool cool..

The Water Diviner (2014) - Complete tasteless shit the whole time, But I only like the death of the other sons of that Aussie..

11. Warseeker

Warseeker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm currently waiting to watch Central Intelligence Movie :mwahaha:

12. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright, thank you. (but flad, I reckon your response would've been a lot more stinging if you weren't staff)
    I've actually been watching the following episodes. The plot is sufficiently interesting, though yes, with scenes designed to inflate audience.

13. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    These chains are holding me down, man.

14. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't know about "scenes designed to inflate audience", Rui... The first season is an almost exact replication of the books, minus some fluff and worldbuilding. A lot of it is just there because it happened in the books, although the books are more graphic and darker in some respects.

15. Gottfried

Gottfried

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nearly yes... :) That is a fair-one, however Robert's scene will Renly not happened or some little minor things, which you tell.

The slow downfall begins with season 2 and ended with season 5, episode 10. The sixth season is popular and good, but now become a fanservice series and uses popular and calculable tropes, or filled with cheap-scenes, like Arya's plot.

16. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A lot of the sex or nude scenes could have been quickened or plain suppressed. That's what I mean.

17. BlueBean

BlueBean

Resources:
    Resources:
    Anybody here watches Stranger Things? If you are a fan of Fringe and the X-files, you better watch it. Season 1 just ended and I heard that there will definitely be a season 2.

18. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Been watching a movie every now and then:
    • Da Vinci Code
    • National Treasure (2004)
    • Crazy in Alabama
    • Prometheus (2012)
    • The Social Network
    • The Maze Runner

19. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    fargo (the tv show) is pretty damn good, i'd say on par with breaking bad in terms of quality. you have to initially adjust to the quirky tone, otherwise it's a very enthralling show.

recently, my friends and i were discussing about batman begins vs. the dark knight rises. it seems they, along with most of the internet from what i've seen, agree that batman begins is the better film, having a tighter story and accomplishing most of what it set out to do.
    i argued that it's better to be ambitious and fail (TDKR) then aim low and succeed (batman begins). plus upon rewatching, batman begins (and even the dark knight) suffer almost as much plot stupidity as TDKR, so really it's not like the trilogy's plot logic took a huge nosedive with TDKR. iunno, what do y'all think?

20. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Watched Small Soldiers (1998) and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014) :p.