1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Disapointments with StarCraft 2?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How can you see a problem when you don't understand a thing and think the game revolves around mapmaking. Ever thought of what this would mean for melee? Will destroy the meaning of Starcraft completely.

Does it even need commenting why they cant' make the game with 4 races, like, REALLY? I won't comment it, pointless.

2. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tradition is not something I can argue against, so 1 point goes to you.

Destroy the meaning of Starcraft? How about making a clear post as to why specifically it is harmful to the Starcraft Community instead of deeming the idea of more then 3 races as merely stupid and not worth your time. Honestly if it's not worth your time explaining in a reasonable manner, then just stop posting in this thread.

And I don't think anyone was talking about map making. All the pro more-then-3-races people have said that this would be in the game only if their was a successful balance with a story that made canon sense. No one here is saying we should just throw in another race thats a copy of another one, doesn't balance with the other factions, and ruins the story.

3. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think I'm not the first one to tell you - you're being ridiculous with your suggestions and what's worse, you think you're right about them...

Because if they make a deviation from the game in such a way as a 4th race, the point of SC - 'terran aka humans, blue/greyskinned aliens called protoss and slimy monsters called zerg fight again' will disappear with another race coming and doing a mess in the story of the 3 races. That's the definition of Starcraft - RTS with 3 races - P,T,Z.

For Melee do I need to start? A whole new race will mean total remake of the strategies., build orders and everything else that Blizzard have been doing for the past years. Not to say SC is about 3 races, all will leave when they see crap like a 4th race, it wont be SC anymore. Do I need to explain more cause I think it's so obvious it's worthless to talk any more.

I may be a little hostile sometimes, but that's because I get sick of silly posts and threads. People who dont understand things post as they imagine it and insist that it is so. I wouldn't bash people for being bad at playing the game. This is a mapmaking forum and I respect that, I wouldn't bash people for their skill but for talking wrong things and insisting they're right. One of the reasons I limited forums to just ONE - THW is to stop wasting my time with threads and posts explaining such things to people. As soon as I start playing the game in a few days I definitely wont waste my time replying here to every wrong post I see..

4. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think I'm right just like you think your right. I think Blizzard could make it with a 4th race and it in fact would not blow up the game. You think Blizzard is not competent enough to pull such a feat. This is the argument in its simplest form, we are all at an impass, we all "know" we are right, lets just call it /thread.

Unless their is a separate issue (going back to the OP) others wish to discuss.

5. kola

kola

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    anti_bodies, Let the professionals Blizzard Team make the game the way they think it will be the best. This is their job and Blizzard is paying them to make the best game they can. The major part of the Sc2 players don't want a third race so blizzard actually made the good choice to keep the number of races at 3.

6. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes me and millions think im right, im not even a SC1er, SCers would just laugh hard at that question. That's what Im saying some prefer living in their own fantasy.

7. JansiGX

JansiGX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A small disappointment I get from story is related to the Artifact and what it did.
    While just playing missions all was fine but after completing game (2 times) it really feels too much convenient:
    - they started collecting artifact without knowing that they will gona use it later (this actually is common for most of the games)
    - Artifact was probably made by protos many hundreds/thousands years before zerg even existed so how come it destroy only zerg?!
    - they said they don't even know how to use it so how come they used it without any problems? Could add a mission there Raynor has to find a protos who could agree to help using that thing.
    - there was no way any human could know that artifact can turn kerrigan into human again. Or at least there was no reason for Raynor to believe as there was no prof.

I bet many explanations are not told because they want to use it in expansion as something 'surprising and unexpected'. Well, maybe it will be so...
    Everything else in story seemed fine and acceptable.

Everyone already know that custom games are made bad but at least now game list will not be overfilled with one the most popular map like dota in WC3.

No complains about the editor. Haven't really made anything yet(mo time, no interest/inspiration) but I don't think its bad or too complicated.

About SC2 similar to WC3: first part of WC3 ended with defending something for a certain time and so did it happen in SC2. guess it means in SC2 next expansion we should expect very difficult battle for power as a final mission like in WC3 expansion. And flowing what happen to warcraft, project on SC2 second expansion will be canceled and a new online-RPG will come instead:"Universe of StarCraft" :D

And about more races topic: we all knew that there will be no new races some years before official release so I think everyone having problem with that had enough time to get over it :)

Nice one!

8. Avex

Avex

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The Artifact was made by the Xel'Naga, not the Protoss. The Xel'Naga created both the Zerg and the Protoss. And seeing as how the Xel'Naga had no part in humanity, it doesnt effect them. You didn't see any protoss in the final mission of SC2, I'm sure if there were, they would of gotten kapwnt too.

Pretty sure Horner explains how it works too. Also, I take it you didn't even pay attention to the Zeratul story.

9. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Also Xel-naga are both Zerg and Protoss Combined in Perfect Trinity.

10. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    The owner of Moebius, Valerian Mengsk, planned all along to collect the artifacts to take down Kerrigan, possibly with the aid of the not-so-mysterias Dr. Narud.
    No, it was not made by the Protoss. It was made by the Xel'Naga. And there were no Protoss on Char when it went off, so we don't even know whether or not it would hurt them.
    I've got one word for you, just one word: Science. Moebius has probably been researching this artifact for years beforehand, possibly with the help of chief scientist Dr. Narud (GOD DAMN IT ITS DURAN BACKWARDS AND HES HELPING YOU TAKE DOWN KERRIGAN WHO IN BLIZZARD CONSIDERED THIS SUBTLE? EVEN IF IT IS A RED HERRING, IT'S A PRETTY STUPID ONE AT THAT).
    Have you ever heard of scientific theory? You know, the other way scientists handle things? Yes, believe it or not, scientists can formulate hypotheses from observing the properties of something before they actually experiment.
    No, that would be the hybrids. The Xel-naga are the ancient beings that created the two races.

Though it is interesting to note that they called the hybrids their new vessel, perhaps implying that they will somehow implant themselves into the bodies of the Hybrids or something.

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you payed attention to the doctor woman on the ship, you would have heard that the artifiact is seriously dangerous to protoss and zerg. The artifact works by overloading zerg's command interface (boom to zerg as seen in final mission) or by draining psyconic energy (it physically sucks the life out of protoss near it). Humans are not relient on psyconic energy and only have very small ammounts so are unaffected in any serious way by the artifact but it will kill any protoss near it (also the explosion nova probably would also hurt protoss by overloading them).

Protoss would never tell humans how to use the artifact and infact that is why protoss kept making raynors life hard while he tried to get the artifact. Would you tell your enemies how to make nukes that can blow you up? In separate pieces it is no threat to the protoss thus why it was kept separated. Also logic shows that the artifact was created by xel naga and was never assembled since they left as pieces of it were scattered around the galaxy often in seeled monuments which protoss swore to gaurd with their lives.

Incase you have not realized, the artifact was the ultimate control weapon. Capable of killing both of their creations (Zerg and Protoss) it could have been used if something seriously went wrong. For example they could have drained whole protoss planets to death with it or blown up the overmind if things did not go to plan. Additionally some of the Xel Naga might have made it purly for terran use like against Kerrigan as part of their extreem knowledge and foresite abilities (the prohpecy). Thus it was kept safe for when raynor came to collect it.

They knew it would work cause it overloaded zerg cells only. Although she was infested she still had a human core inside of her zerg husk. Infact it did evem more as some of her cells apparently were mutated by the zerg infestation and so unaffected. Basically the artifact killed all zerg cells which recieved commands from the overmind, any remaining zerg DNA in Kerrigan will not alter her personality. Effectivly the prophecy is fufilled as Kerrigan is the first zerg who has a free will and is no longer following the orders created by the xel naga (who even the overmind was forced to follow). The fact the next campaign is zerg emphisises this and also Kerrigan still has infested hair meaning she is atleast part zerg. However she has suffered some pretty traumatic experiences, especially since humanity abandoned her to her long suffering ages ago so I would not expect her even in humanish form to be friendly towards humans (next to raynor who her soul cried for help even when infested).

If you listen to the prophecy, you hear that the xel naga transended the stars. This means they got up and packed their bags and went somewhere else leaving the zerg and protoss to do their stuff... Or so it seems. You also here that they are back, or atleast one of them is. The UnknownOne (as called in editor). My avatar is what he looks like when exposed to 8 times normal game lighting, which shows he is surrounded by an emensly dark field of power.

My theory is that the protoss and zerg were an ongoing experiment by the xel naga to try and create their sucessors. After it was set up (things would work them selves out) they removed them selves from existance classing themselves as obsolete. However one xel naga remained behind who betrayed all others, and he wants to show that the xel naga are not forgoten gods but very present gods. He uses the power of the void and wants to start an error of pure darkness with the ultimate creation, a combination of zerg power and protoss power fused in a way never seen before.

12. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well gee, Doctor, I don't think you're quoting the right post. Either that or you really like writing large essays in rebuttal to someone who's agreeing with you.

13. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your the one whining about Blizzard adding achievements and I really don't think that is a big deal or bad enough to complain about anyway.

That is a false judgment, I don't think the game revolves around mapmaking. There is a lot of things the game revolves around.

You know, there was once a time when Warcraft was all about orcs and humans. Now it's not.

It could make the melee even better. Ever think of that?

Blizzard may one day get bored of 3 races in Starcraft and may want to add another one. It happens. Yes, they will lose fans, but more will come.

Personally, I don't care if they don't add another race. Although, If Blizzard ever wants to and feels confident that it will make the Starcraft Universe more awesome than I won't have a problem with it( in less they screw up). I was just sticking up for a guy who said something interesting, but many of you freaked out and panicked about it and made it a bigger deal than it is. There is nothing wrong with his ideal, Blizzard may even consider it one day just like they did with the Warcraft series.

14. Fussiler1

Fussiler1

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Uhm, the Tal'darim protected the artifacts because they were the 'gifts of the Gods', right? Besides, to compare a bunch of Protoss zealots (not the game unit) to all the Protoss is a bit stupid, imo.

Yes.

Most of them got wiped out by the Zerg.

15. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This may also explain why I criticize such posts so much. This is a mapmaking forum, I understand that. But because of that, many here you included have no idea what they are talking about - no problem, but claiming their position as CORRECT when it's ridiculous - IS a problem. Like, you don't understand that removing a single unit from the game will make serious changes to the balance of all 3 races, not to say a 4th race!? Expansions will likely have 2-3 new units per race, but a whole new race is completely out of the question.

And there is no 'if they add a 4th race' they won't add a 4th race. Seriously if you post that at TL, GosumGamers or any GAMING site you will get laughed at so hard. In fact, such dont stay there cause you are a casual player no non-casual player would ever think of that understanding the importance to stay as it is. A 4th race will make it Warcraft in space, that's what distinguishes war3 and sc as RTSs apart frm the different speed and gameplay. In a future game in 10 years or so, Blizzard may come up with something like that but not now, not on the second Starcraft that continues the story...

No rly im not gonna waste my time on completely insane posts, this was my last commenting on such posts.

16. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have that same theory......
    I agree. But some Xel-naga Were killed by Zerg. Overmind only killed a few worldships. But the Rest of Xel-naga were away somewhere else.
    Also perfect trinty does not make a hybrid. Xel-naga are made from Both Zerg and Protoss! They Are combined from their minds and psi! Not their bodies! The Xel-naga are basically Protoss Faces but are Archons. Basically the Zerg and Protoss were orginially suppose to merge into the next generation of Xel-Naga.
    Not the way that Hybrids do it. They steal it. Not merging in perfect unity.

17. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    I dislike that you seem to think your opinion is correct. It's preference, not fact. Look at Poots posts. Notice that he doesn't talk like it's some given fact that a fourth race is impossible. SC players don't want a second race, which is fair, but it's not like we have no clue what we're talking about.

This thread was about disappointments with the game. I was disappointed not to see another race. I also feel it would be possible to make a fourth balanced race. And yes, I realize it's not going to happen.

Yeah, a fourth race would definitely make SC a clone of wc3. I mean, aside from the fact that they play entirely different, and are set in two separate fantasy realms.

18. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually, the racial variation in Starcraft is much stronger than that of Warcraft 3. If Blizzard sees fit to make a 4th race, it'd have to have a fundamental playing style miles apart from the other races.

19. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm not so sure. The Zerg operate in a pretty unique fashion. Protoss and Terran are a little more alike. And adding faction #4 doesnt change how P/T/Z fight each other, it just changes how they play against #4. As a zerg player I tend to go speedlings against Protoss and Mutalisks against Terran. It would just add different ways to play. Now right now adding a 4th race to Starcraft 2 via patch would be silly. Adding a 4th race in the expansions is hazardous. Everything here is already firmly established. But in Starcraft 3 (or Starcraft 2 if this was to be included from the beginning) a 4th race just means you play it more differently then you did in SC1.

20. KaboomMaster

KaboomMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please please PLEASE, stop using trinity to refer to a combination of two things. Trinity refers to three things.

Sorry if this seems pissy but you've misused trinity somewhere around three times now and it makes me want to cry.

Not exactly. If a 4th race was added Blizzard would most likely add it based off their multiplayer play style rather than lore which means that the whole unit and build lists for T/P/Z would have to be revamped in order to counter both race 4 as well as any new units added to the original trio which would more than likely degrade the play styles for all four races and make the whole game feel a bit more watered down.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010