• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dieselpunk Troopers

Infantry - Queen of the fields.
Closest to the ground, to the cold, to the fire and death.

Well, I just combined the elements of Herr Dave's models (he gave me permission to upload) and added some custom animations maded by myself.

UPD 1.
1. Fixed particle effect in attack animation (thanks, Ian The Red)
2. Fixed the position of the model on Z axis in the new animations, some movements was changed or fixed a bit
3. Attack animation was changed a bit.
4. Animations was linearized, model was optimized and has lower weight now.
5. Texture was changed a bit, added teamcolor for crest.

UPD 2.
1. Fixed attack animation loop (thanks,Vanguard Veteran)
2. Walk and stand animation was changed a bit. Added another one stand animation.
3. New bayonet attack animation, removed attack alternate 4 (until I make it better)
4. Minor fixes in attack and stand ready anims.

UPD 3.
Small design changes. Nothing interesting.

UPD 4.
Fixed normals.

UPD 5.
1. Redesigned "heavy" model, trenchcoat was buggy, so I remove it until better time.
2. Added old version of model as you all requested
3. Added some effects fixes, thank Ian The Red
4. Added new guy (only old design version, new design version will be added after I'm sure that there are no serious bugs in the new model, I hope in advance for your feedback, guys)
5. New Icons. Again.

UPD 6.
1. Added Heavy Machinegun model.
2. Added Officer model.

3. Redesigned "new design" models, some animations was removed.
4. Fixed animation for OfficerOD, added new crest for TrooperOD.
5. New Icons. Again.

UPD 7.
1. Heavy Machinegun attack FX fixed.
2. HMG triggers was remodelled a bit, animation also changed a bit.

UPD 8.
Heavy Machinegun attack FX fixed. Again.

UPD 9.
1. Added Assault Trooper model.
2. Small design changes: teamcolor, helmets-pauldrons-equipment.
3. Fixed death animations for trooper and officer, small animation fixes.
4. New Icons. Again.
UPD 9.1
1.Fixed some animation bugs in Assault Trooper model (Thanks, SonsOfSami).
2.Fixed Decay Bone animation im Officer model.
UPD 9.2
Fixed lightning bug in Assault Trooper model (Thanks, Hazop).

UPD 10.
1. Fixed another lightning bug in Assault Trooper model (Thanks, Hazop)
2. Added under-barrel grenade launcher for Assault Trooper SMG.
3. Added new Spell anim for Assault Trooper.

UPD 11.
1. Added Mortar model.
2. Remodeled backpacks

UPD 11.1.
1. Changed Mortar attack animation - fixed particles, added recoil and some details. (Thanks SonsOfSami)
2.Fixed decay bone anims.
UPD 11.2.
1.The machine gun now rotates normally.
2.Sound and particles were corrected and bugs were fixed in mortar animations (many thanks to the SonsOfSami who did this work for me)
3.Fixed a weird noise in the Spell animations of the assault trooper (thanks, Hazop)

Heavy weapons was moved to a separate pack.

UPD 12.
Added normal fixes by SonsOf Sami

UPD 13.
1. Old texture replaced by new one, partially drawned by myself.
2. New Attack animation for Trooper.
3. Minor animation fixes.
4. Added alternative variation for Trooper - Landsknecht.

UPD 14.
1. Existing animations for the officer was completely remade and new animations are added: morph and two spell animations (of course, each has "Alternate" variation).
2. New "Walk" animations for Stormtrooper.
3. New gasmasks and backpacks, updated texture.
4. Dummy "Morph" animation for Soldier (without it, there was a bug, when after changing the stance to "Alternate" unit can't be selected). This animation is a temporary solution until I think of something better.
5. Small fixes.

UPD 14.
New version of soldier model.
New animations, textures and meshes.
UPD 14.01
Fixed portrait animation bugs.
UPD 14.02
Fixed another portrait animation bug.
UPD 14.12
Icons added.
UPD 14.22
Updated Walk animation, now it has a bit more physical impact and not so... "smooth".

P.S.
Due to the fact that this month I had to make an unplanned stop in development, I decided to update the models in packages separately so that you had the opportunity to evaluate the progress on something more complex than just a couple of screenshots.
Previews
Contents

Diesel Trooper new version (Model)

Diesel Trooper new version (Icon)

Dieselpunk Landsknecht (Model)

Dieselpunk Landsknecht (Icon)

Dieselpunk Officer (Model)

Dieselpunk Officer (Icon)

Dieselpunk Officer (Old Design) (Model)

Dieselpunk Officer (Old Design) (Icon)

Dieselpunk Soldier (Model)

Dieselpunk Soldier (Icon)

Dieselpunk Stormtrooper (Model)

Dieselpunk Stormtrooper (Icon)

Dieselpunk Trooper (Old Design) (Model)

Dieselpunk Trooper (Old Design) (Icon)

Reviews
General Frank
Works in-game, performs appropriately and is a good addition to the model section. Excellent work!
Level 10
New version looks great! Seems to be missing morph animation though
Part of the reason is that previous version of this model this animation wasn't needed, but its absence caused a serious bug, so I decided to add a dummy one.

Now there is another problem: I still havn't decided what the bayonet should be: a sword or spike, removable or folding one.
This is not a very big problem, but the simplicity of the animation will depend on it - making the detachable bayonet is more difficult, because i will need to create a full-fledged object for it with a full set of actions (as I did with the officer’s flare gun).
On the other hand, sword bayonet will look more fancy and for it it will be possible to make several additional animations such as harvesting a tree or for anythyng else which sword bayonets used for.

Level 4
Part of the reason is that previous version of this model this animation wasn't needed, but its absence caused a serious bug, so I decided to add a dummy one.

Now there is another problem: I still havn't decided what the bayonet should be: a sword or spike, removable or folding one.
This is not a very big problem, but the simplicity of the animation will depend on it - making the detachable bayonet is more difficult, because i will need to create a full-fledged object for it with a full set of actions (as I did with the officer’s flare gun).
On the other hand, sword bayonet will look more fancy and for it it will be possible to make several additional animations such as harvesting a tree or for anythyng else which sword bayonets used for.

Them design choices...
Both options seem reasonable, I'd suggest you take your time so you're not disappointed. Pretty sure community will love it no matter the option you choose.

All I can say is more animations provide more usage and that harvesting thing would be very interresting. Folding bayonet tho sounds amazing too...

Off-topic: are you considering some sort of reload animation? Like just soldier moving their hands in some way... not requesting, just curious what you think of it.

Level 12
Its good to see the new Dieselpunk Trooper model, can't wait to see on the other ones.
I hoped you would update the Landsknecht troopers, but you are planning to scrap it right?

Level 3
Personally my only gripe with the officer model is that there isn't a convenient spell throw animation. Despite that, the models have proven to be perfect for one of my latest projects. Dieselpunk is amazing and i'm surprised there isn't more of it.

Edit:

While i'm at it, perhaps could you make a version of the soldier where he doesn't have the helmet on?

Last edited: