• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Detect Spell Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello
I'm currently stucked in this stuff, how can i know if damage dealt type is spell/magic ?
I tried Bribe's Damage Engine but it seems that it doesn't do the work, maybe it doesn't support that feature or it's my mistake somewhere?
Of course i don't want to write every spell a trigger to check if it's being casted and dealing damage
Well, that's my story, any suggestion?

Level 13
Quote from Bribe's

"If you trigger all non-attack damage in the game, you can tell the difference between in-game damage and triggered damage, and you can customize the type of triggered damage as well. You set the variable "DamageEventType" accordingly, <before> triggering the damage."

This lets you tell the difference between Spells/Physical/Code damage
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...?prev=search=physical%20detection&d=list&r=20
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/dds-damage-detection-system-231238/

Level 9
It seems that no spell-damage detection works on my map. Well, i think something has changed every damage dealt into physical, as when i detect the damage dealt by spells, it shows up when i use the conditions to detect the physical type. Hmm,... wondering if someone can take a look at my map to see what's happening.

EDIT: Remove attachment

Last edited:
Level 10
He is right, for example.
You have to trigger all damge that sounds like a lot of work, but it is much better especially for RPGs, ignore the standart weapondamage, ignore the standart armor, just trigger everything.
For example you can configure all damage between 0.01 and 1.00 are reserved for spells, so you have 100 spaces for damage spells AND healing spells.
For example if damage = 0.01 then set damage (don´t know the specific variable names as I didn´t use Bribes system for long time now) to random number between 100.00 and 200.00. That is then the spell damage. Then you can say all damage between 1.01 and 2.00 is physical ability damage the same way, for example for warrior-types or rogue-types. and at last all damage higher than 2.01 is physical weapondamage.

It is much better that way, because you will be much more flexible with the weapon, spell effects like resist/dodge/crit/spellcrit/armorcalculation...

Also you can make healing spells (just use damage spells on friendly units)

Level 19
I have an extension of bribes DDS that can detect spell damage but I'm not at my computer ATM. I know nestharus's DDS supports it.

It works by applying a -100% spell reduction to all units and if the damage dealt is negative then it's spell damage. You have to trigger heals, but it makes life a lot easier

Level 23
Level 9
Maybe you guys didn't understood the whole situation i'm having. My map somehow, or something changed all the damage type to physical (i think) so that's why none of the spell detecting system works. BUT when i try to detect the magic damage dealt like the way to detect a physical damage, it worked?!. Hmm.. still wondering. Maybe some other damage system changed the whole thing but yet, i can't find it anywhere

EDIT: I've found the problem and cured it. Case solved. Thanks guys +rep allllllll :)

Level 14
He is right, for example.
You have to trigger all damge that sounds like a lot of work, but it is much better especially for RPGs, ignore the standart weapondamage, ignore the standart armor, just trigger everything.
For example you can configure all damage between 0.01 and 1.00 are reserved for spells, so you have 100 spaces for damage spells AND healing spells.
For example if damage = 0.01 then set damage (don´t know the specific variable names as I didn´t use Bribes system for long time now) to random number between 100.00 and 200.00. That is then the spell damage. Then you can say all damage between 1.01 and 2.00 is physical ability damage the same way, for example for warrior-types or rogue-types. and at last all damage higher than 2.01 is physical weapondamage.

It is much better that way, because you will be much more flexible with the weapon, spell effects like resist/dodge/crit/spellcrit/armorcalculation...

Also you can make healing spells (just use damage spells on friendly units)

That is a very bad idea for several reasons.

• You have to modify all abilities in the object editor, thats a lot of work.
  • You can not ensure that all spells deal below one damage. Reflected damage or Spirit Link will break your method.
  • Reducing the damage will cause spells like Death Coil not to heal anymore. You would have to trigger that too.
  • If different units have different Spell-Damage reduction by the armor table or e.g. runed braces you won't be able to identify the spell because it doesn't deal 0.01 damage anymore but less. You would have to identify the armor type an its value dynamically.
  • Using Bribes system for damage modification is not a good idea due to the bugs it has with modified damage.

Best solution is to use a DDS with DamageType support, as some people have already posted in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.