• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Detail Texture Layers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Is there some way to overlap 2 objects, and have the second apply a texture to the other? What I have is a boring flat texture of a path. Now I want to add detail using a tilied black and white texture of sand grains. This way, when the two are merged, the dull flat sand now looks like grain.

I would do this in Photoshop, however, as in my previous thread on material tiles, I cannot. 1 pixel on the path model is about 1 foot in relative space to the game. As such a tiled texture of the grain would allow that one pixel to look far more detailed.

If this is hard to understand I can draw a simple diagram.

Level 5
Alright here;

Heres how the layers need to be applied. I have the ground model with grass and a path on it, and I need to layer a large amount of tiles of detailed sand over it.

layers2tm.jpg

I only want the sand to be applied in the white locations on this alpha map of the entire terrain however.

alphamap6im.jpg

Heres the tile texture I wish to use.

detailedsand9su.jpg

Ok, so here the way to do this: Make a multiple textures (as if you want to add team color); it should be composite (instead of setting it warcraft III). Then you'll see a base material and others.
Put the base texture. And in the others you put the "overtextures", the textures you want to apply on the base (don't forget to set these other textures to have Alpha). Don't forget to set the material to Warcraft III...

If you don't understand, tell me.

Level 5
Yes yes, of course you would want to use Composite. However as I have said I need the detailed texture to be a tiled texture (100 total tiles) and the other a non-tiled texture (1 tile covering the entire object) and it is impossible to do that with the 'Tile' option from the Material Editor (It will make the texture tile, but you can not choose the ammount of tiles per section).

Status
Not open for further replies.