• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Desyncs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
This map sometimes desyncs at startup. Random people seem to be affected. Nothing in the startup trigs suggest anything weird, at least not to me. May I know why? Can someone please look over it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Helms Deep Hero Siege 2.3.w3x
    3.4 MB · Views: 108
Level 10
desync is when players split from the main player pool, and would be left in their own game. So one game becomes two. So lets say 10 players, 3 desync. There will be 2 games, one with 7 players in them and one with 3. However in a GHost game, the 3 will just crash.

Yes, I've messed with map sizes and cam bounds but that was a long time ago and I have stable maps from before that. Any other solutions? I'll test with map bounds now.

The question is how do I save all my unit/trigger/imports so I don't have to recreate each and every unit by hand? Triggers are easy, imports are ok, but having to place the units and doodads one by one will be hell.

Level 10
BUMP didn't work, help please.

Exported, same problem in new map. I think it is something to do with my triggers. Can someone please take a look?

DETAILS: Map size seems not to affect the game, I rolled back to a stable version which has the same size and units and the only thing touched was triggers so that has to be it.

Level 3
>>>Just some exporting help, not the desync help (yet)<<<

In object editor you can export all object data, with triggers etc you can do the same.
When you have two maps of the same size, you can even copy terrain, regions and placed units easily (did it yesterday with my hero arena):
  • select region/terrain/unit palette,
  • go to selection mode(or press space),
  • ctrl + a and then ctrl+c,
  • up there click window, select your other map (u must have it open), wait for it to generate,
  • ctrl+v
  • click.
That works for terrain and regions (whereever you click it will center if u have the same map size, or at least it worked for me yesterday), with units it is a bit more difficult, you need to place it somehow, which I didn't figure out how (when you ctrl+a, it doesn't save your mouse location), you'd need to find out yourself if you really need it (or place it manually, or just copy small groups using ctrl+click...)

I'll have a look at the triggers, but when i solve my virus problem...

Hope it'll save you some time next time you copy maps...

Level 10
yeah i tried, it still desyncs, heres part of log if it helps

[Sat Oct 2 08:50:40 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Shortest load by player [Trails] was 11.53 seconds.
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:40 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Longest load by player [13sa_silverleaf] was 38.08 seconds.
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:40 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Welcome to Helms Deep Hero Siege, please check out our forums at www.battleships.free-forums.org
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] desync detected
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Warning! Desync detected!
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Players in game state #1: 13sa_silverleaf, Trails
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Players in game state #2: Chosilu, Dammit_MANG
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] can't kick desynced players because there is a tie, kicking all players instead
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] deleting player [13sa_silverleaf]: was dropped due to desync
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: 13sa_silverleaf was dropped due to desync.
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] deleting player [Trails]: was dropped due to desync
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Trails was dropped due to desync.
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] deleting player [Chosilu]: was dropped due to desync
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Chosilu was dropped due to desync.
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] deleting player [Dammit_MANG]: was dropped due to desync
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] [Local]: Dammit_MANG was dropped due to desync.
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] is over (no players left)
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GAME: Helms Deep #3] saving game data to database
[Sat Oct 2 08:50:41 2010] [GHOST] deleting game [Helms Deep #3]

Level 26
I do not see anything concrete right now. Just test out disabling starting features such as triggers. However, if the problem only occasionally appears I'd figure that there are either random variables in the map or you bomb someone's memory with improper imports. I have not had this problem before but others say that Wait-actions can get the map out of sync. I know that they have an unprecise length but I am not sure whether they are not always exactly matched after.

I would also like to know if the problem persisted without using a hosting tool.

Level 13
How about this.. you post any major triggers you change from the stable version and the first version that started desyncing.. i know of alot of different things that can cause that ill know it probably when i see it. Just do that and ill help ya out.
copy triggers at text and paste them in here with this at top (trigger) and this at bottom (/trigger) the ( = [

Level 12
Ok lets see, nothing helps but didn't see anywhere that somebody talks about imports, hmmm maybe some model causes desyncs, for example if in game that model is hero model, and somebody choses this hero; he gets disconnected. Try playing map with your friends again and tell them to watch every there step, if they get disconnected, they might know becouse of what, i was doing same thing with my desyncs, till i changed size (that didn't help you). So ask them on what moment they get disconnected.

Level 26
Ok lets see, nothing helps but didn't see anywhere that somebody talks about imports

...or you bomb someone's memory with improper imports.

paid dedicated bot server, no problems with other maps

And how does this ensure that the tool causes no problems with your map?

It happens EVERY TIME I host the game

Then it's easy for you to reconstruct and analyze it.

Just test out disabling starting features such as triggers.

Do this. It's called debugging and a general concept of getting things to work properly. You do not need us for that.

Level 26
Deactivate progressly everything until the problem vanishes. I did not say that this is restricted to triggers. And you do not have to be so ineffective to disable each single trigger at a time.

Of things like triggers that you can restore easily, just deactivate them all at beginning. However, if it does work then, it will not necessarily mean that it's the problems base but that it triggers it.

Level 10
I copypasta'd triggers to a stable-ish map, but I no longer have the editable version of the oldest and most stable. My spawn triggers have been shown to be 'related' to the crash, though on their own, they don't cause any problems. The triggers that cause the orcs to spawn. Without those, map loaded fine... once. Can't get enough people to do a test or this will be easier.

Level 21
Just because no one posted desync reasons, here is a non-exhaustive list of what you need to check:

1-Bot hosted map: if your bot is not configured as it has to be, sometimes it does not create an ERRCONSET but a desync (rare case)
2-Wrong use of functions with a GetLocalPlayer() if then else (generally this)
3-Using things that create terrain deformation (like shockwave or any trigger) since the terrain deformations are used for a local player
4-Multiple use of Cinematic Filters (sometimes there is a probleme by using several filters)
5-Camera use: warn with this.

Then, please post triggers supposed to check the previous point so we can help you :)

Level 10
well thanks people but the thing is I have already isolated the group of triggers, but can't get a full house to test it.

I think it has to do with the spawn triggers, though I can see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Could you explain model desyncs in a bit more detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.