• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Destiny's Wake 1: From Hence We Ride

Reactions: deepstrasz
The first chapter in an epic story of love, betrayal, and various other clichéd amusements for your enjoyment.

Oh, and occassionally even some origional storyline. Shocking, I know. Of course, this first chapter is but a taster of what is to come...stay tuned for this episodically released map!

Features:
- Neat system of conversations, with quality skippable dialogue.
- A high quality checkpoint system, that doesn't require reloading the map when you die, and lives on past (most) version updates.
- Interesting combat, requiring some micro and timing rather than just bash-bash-bash.
- Slightly non-linear gameplay in this chapter, with some differing conversations, but the branches will become more significant in later chapters.

Keywords:
Role Playing, RPG, Awesome, Tiny-RPG, Destiny's Wake
Contents

Destiny's Wake 1: From Hence We Ride (Map)

Reviews
VGsatomi: Approved. A map that certainly loves up to its name. Very small map, but every inch of it is high quality. Plenty of things to do. Ash: This map is one of several under the title of ‘Tiny-RPG’. It is the first, of many, in the series and...

M

VGsatomi: Approved. A map that certainly loves up to its name. Very small map, but every inch of it is high quality. Plenty of things to do.
Ash:
This map is one of several under the title of ‘Tiny-RPG’. It is the first, of many, in the series and manages to captivate the viewer into wanting more and more. This episode in question is just like a chapter from a Charles Dickens novel; it leaves you with a cliffhanger at this end so that you just have to ‘read’ -- or game, in this case -- on.

The actual game itself consists mostly of dialogue, not a bad thing because the battle system could do with a bit of tinkering. It currently consists of running around a lot and dodging attacks, and trying to get your own in edgeways. However, even with that in mind, it’s still really fun. The battles all have a small prelude and you’re not really dominated by waves of creeps, until the end.

I mentioned, earlier, the dialogue. Before I go on to comment on the system I’d like to mention that this game is in no way, shape or form linear. The chat system is a perfect example of this. Throughout every conversation you get ‘multiple choice’ answers, an example being flirting with a Wizards daughter. I’m not sure if this system has ever been used before in a map, actually. For all intent and purpose; this is unique. Even if you don’t enjoy single player maps, I’d still recommend it just so you can experience this.

On top of that, although small, the artist -- Rao Dao Zao -- has put in a heck of a lot of dedication into making the map’s terrain look great. It is, admittedly, somewhat simplistic; the only sign of new doodads is inside the house -- something which, I’m sure, will change with later ‘episodes’. But it still works, you can’t find a place that looks wrong; everything fits in.

Then comes the balance. As mentioned earlier the combat system could do with a tiny bit of tweaking, however this game comes with a difficulty system that makes it playable by even the most… ‘stupid’ of WC3 players. Although at the higher difficulty levels you can, pretty much, be one-hitted, you can still play through the game on a lower level and bump it up when you’re more confident.

All in all, this is just as great as Griffen’s other releases; this map maker certainly puts a lot of time, dedication and effort into his maps, and it certainly pays off. There is a certain ‘high standard’ you come to appreciate when reviewing maps, and it’s very few and far between. Griffen, maps included, is a prime example of this.

As surprised as I am to say it, this map receives my very first, and possibly last, 5/5.

Well done.

Level 1
Great map! im at chapter 6 = New Dawn because ive not played much on this but still i find this map REALLY good!

Level 7
I wonder why this isn't approved yet :S I think it was an awesome map.

UPDATE:
Still not approved? Guess the moderators is really busy :S

Ash

Ash

Level 22
This map is one of several under the title of ‘Tiny-RPG’. It is the first, of many, in the series and manages to captivate the viewer into wanting more and more. This episode in question is just like a chapter from a Charles Dickens novel; it leaves you with a cliffhanger at this end so that you just have to ‘read’ -- or game, in this case -- on.

The actual game itself consists mostly of dialogue, not a bad thing because the battle system could do with a bit of tinkering. It currently consists of running around a lot and dodging attacks, and trying to get your own in edgeways. However, even with that in mind, it’s still really fun. The battles all have a small prelude and you’re not really dominated by waves of creeps, until the end.

I mentioned, earlier, the dialogue. Before I go on to comment on the system I’d like to mention that this game is in no way, shape or form linear. The chat system is a perfect example of this. Throughout every conversation you get ‘multiple choice’ answers, an example being flirting with a Wizards daughter. I’m not sure if this system has ever been used before in a map, actually. For all intent and purpose; this is unique. Even if you don’t enjoy single player maps, I’d still recommend it just so you can experience this.

On top of that, although small, the creator has put in a heck of a lot of dedication into making the map’s terrain look great. It is, admittedly, somewhat simplistic; the only sign of new doodads is inside the house -- something which, I’m sure, will change with later ‘episodes’. But it still works, you can’t find a place that looks wrong; everything fits in.

Then comes the balance. As mentioned earlier the combat system could do with a tiny bit of tweaking, however this game comes with a difficulty system that makes it playable by even the most… ‘stupid’ of WC3 players. Although at the higher difficulty levels you can, pretty much, be one-hitted, you can still play through the game on a lower level and bump it up when you’re more confident.

All in all, this is just as great as Griffen’s other releases; this map maker certainly puts a lot of time, dedication and effort into his maps, and it certainly pays off. There is a certain ‘high standard’ you come to appreciate when reviewing maps, and it’s very few and far between. Griffen, maps included, is a prime example of this.

As surprised as I am to say it, this map receives my very first, and possibly last, 5/5.

Well done.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Why does this map "only get 5/5" when my piece of garbage maps gets 5/5. IT SHOULD GET 6/5! AND Directors Cut!!!

IMO this is very nasty piece of work and I've played this map. It deserves better! I never had so high fps before, when I played this map. Having regularly 6-7 fps on missile war and 15-20 fps on Naval Battle, while I have 59 on this map proves the mapper is a master in tha editor and he doesn't make laggy code! Maps that doesn't lagg is rare in nowadays, considering 97% of mappers doesn't know what leak means...! (yeah forum people are a rare race)

I admit even though i know GUI, I have ZERO JASS knowledge whatsoever.

Sorry I couldn't give 6/5, "only 5/5"

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Why does this map "only get 5/5" when my piece of garbage maps gets 5/5. IT SHOULD GET 6/5! AND Directors Cut!!!

IMO this is very nasty piece of work and I've played this map. It deserves better! I never had so high fps before, when I played this map. Having regularly 6-7 fps on missile war and 15-20 fps on Naval Battle, while I have 59 on this map proves the mapper is a master in tha editor and he doesn't make laggy code! Maps that doesn't lagg is rare in nowadays, considering 97% of mappers doesn't know what leak means...! (yeah forum people are a rare race)

I admit even though i know GUI, I have ZERO JASS knowledge whatsoever.

Sorry I couldn't give 6/5, "only 5/5"

Urr... WHAAAAT?

Level 1
uhhhh... I think I just jizzed my pants. This is the best game ever. Its so much like a real RPG even better than some. Captain Griffen...you are amazing. Please make more, I need more!

Level 1
just played this game, it was sooo good, too bad you didnt make a sequel, this was just incredible. well hopefully you decide to make a sequel xD