• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Death]'s Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Does he? Hmm...
I prefer Hive over WC3Campaigns.net only because of the those with moderation power. They're very stuck up and very assertive. They have no mercy for people below their skill either, which I have very low tollerance for. Though I find WC3Campaigns a more professional Warcraft III Modding community, for people new to Warcraft and laid back people, Hive is the better place. But that's just my own opinion.
I'll try to talk with [Death] more if he is still actually active and not around every now and then.
~Craka_J

Level 7
I wasn't expecting people to be still posting in this thread three months later, so I apologize for that. And yes, I realize I'm reviving a two month old thread. Don't be too hard on me!

If you want any of these maps, just ask. The one with the house is "ripped off" from Zurg's cinematic CotD (I used the same house-stacking thing he did). I didn't use any custom models for the house. That map is also an unfinished cinematic.

And yeah, I realized that the river passes UNDER the castle after I made the terrain. But I decided to keep the castle because it looked cool. I also don't like the Proudmoore model in my waterfall picture, but I couldn't find anything that could conceivably look like a cowboy.

I'm more of a cinematic terrainer than a playable one. In fact, I've completed approximately one in-game terrain. I joined War of the Three Hammers to try to terrain for them... and quit soon after. So I wouldn't know how much of a use I would be for Wc3:WoW anyway :p

I'm actually far more active on the internet than I appear to be -- I'm just not that interested in WC3 anymore, unfortunately.

In any case, you guys will always see some sort of logical error in my terrains. I think it's great for you guys to point them out and constructively criticize them, even though I'm 99.9% certain I won't fix them (I'm too lazy, you see), so keep them coming.

I've gathered more screenshots since my last post (especially my older terrains. You can tell which are older by the quality drops. I am aware that some of them are crap. Just goes to show even I can produce crap, huh?), but never posted them here. I've terrained more than this, but they're already far gone. So without further ado...

Oh, yes, and those spiral bookcase stairs are completely walkable.

The last screenshot with the waterfall and blizzard cliffs... Well, that was actually my first terrain ever (part of it, anyway. This is the only screenshot I took back then because it was the best looking out of it all). As you can see, I had problems with magical water even way back when.

Attachments

• AbandonedForest2.jpg
    AbandonedForest2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 222
  • AzjolNerub.jpg
    AzjolNerub.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 197
  • BarrensSun.jpg
    BarrensSun.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Brothers8.jpg
    Brothers8.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Brothers9.jpg
    Brothers9.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Brothers10.jpg
    Brothers10.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Brothers13.jpg
    Brothers13.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DarkTower.jpg
    DarkTower.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 191
  • DoorToAnotherWorld.jpg
    DoorToAnotherWorld.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Mother-Nature6.jpg
    Mother-Nature6.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Ruins.jpg
    Ruins.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 173
  • Ruins5.jpg
    Ruins5.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 186
  • SettingSun.jpg
    SettingSun.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 170
  • SkyIslands4.jpg
    SkyIslands4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 143
  • SkyIslands5.jpg
    SkyIslands5.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 151
  • stairs3.jpg
    stairs3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Sythram4.jpg
    Sythram4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Sythram-Comparison.jpg
    Sythram-Comparison.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Sythram-Comparison2.jpg
    Sythram-Comparison2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 163
  • TornAsunder.jpg
    TornAsunder.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 180
  • WaterfallVillage3.jpg
    WaterfallVillage3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 149
  • WaterfallVillage4.jpg
    WaterfallVillage4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 145
  • WaterfallVillage5.jpg
    WaterfallVillage5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 139
  • WaterfallVillage6.jpg
    WaterfallVillage6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 180
  • TheReturn2.jpg
    TheReturn2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 168
  • TheReturn3.jpg
    TheReturn3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 151
  • TheReturn4.jpg
    TheReturn4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 165
  • CastleGilead.jpg
    CastleGilead.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Castle.jpg
    Castle.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Dead-Of-Night3.jpg
    Dead-Of-Night3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 191
  • mother-nature-24.jpg
    mother-nature-24.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Paradise2.jpg
    Paradise2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Level 25
Tis an honor to have you back, [Death]!

Suprisingly, not all of these are amazing as your past gallery post(s). The ones I point out are bad ones:
  • Last screenshot: Probably the worst terrain by you.
  • The upside down ziggurat one would be great if you added more decorations and some more interesting stuff to it. Looks plain and kind of messy to be honest.
  • Spiral staircase one would be great if the sides of the stairs looked better. Looks kind of messy and uneven. Try using stone walls or something else that blends better, but you can notice the stairs better.
Those are pretty much all of the bad ones. There are others that could use some fixing up such as the high-resolution terrain. You need to use better tree variation, make use of the 'raise' tool in the Terrain Palette, and go wild with grass doodads and other environmental doodads! A lot of terrainers who are good with terraining with WC3's style usually find it pretty hard to adjust to high-resolution terrains. So your flaws are understandable.

Some of these terrains look rather familiar. I believe I've seen some of them in the Weekly Terraining area of Wc3Campaigns.

Anyway, you're quite a natural. But I've noticed that you do indeed have some improvements to be made with your skills at terraining.

Although a lot of your terrains have 'height variation', there are many others such as your high-res' terrain and a couple forest terrains that do not have good height variation and seem/look very flat. Flat terrains are acceptable in indoor areas such as houses and palaces, but if it is a ruined indoor area such as a temple a little bit of height variation is necessary.

Once again it is good to have you back, and hopefully my feedback is somewhat helpful.
~Craka_J

Level 7
Suprisingly, not all of these are amazing as your past gallery post(s).
Well, my past gallery posts included only the good, recent ones :p These are mostly my older ones, like I said in my post. Some are good. Most, however, are crap.

Last screenshot: Probably the worst terrain by you.
Did you read my previous post?
me said:
The last screenshot with the waterfall and blizzard cliffs... Well, that was actually my first terrain ever (part of it, anyway. This is the only screenshot I took back then because it was the best looking out of it all). As you can see, I had problems with magical water even way back when.

There are others that could use some fixing up such as the high-resolution terrain. You need to use better tree variation, make use of the 'raise' tool in the Terrain Palette, and go wild with grass doodads and other environmental doodads!
Unfortunately, when I was making that terrain, I made that screenshot and went to add more stuff... only to place the scarecrow doodad that B2M made and crash my WE. I hadn't saved. So I kept the screenshot and didn't feel like redoing the terrain. Call me lazy: I am.

Although a lot of your terrains have 'height variation', there are many others such as your high-res' terrain and a couple forest terrains that do not have good height variation and seem/look very flat.
Yeah, that's a problem of mine. I usually avoid that problem in my later terrains, not so much my earlier.

This isn't so much of a showcase anymore than "Here, these are all my terrains ever in existence". Thanks for the comments.

Level 7
I read your previous posts. But I was just commenting on what I could to show that I can also spot boo-boos. :p

I look forward to future terrains by you.
~Craka_J

Oh. Then yeah, lots of boo-boos I made in these! You should post all your old terrains if you haven't already, it's fun to see how people progress. And for future terrains... SC2? I don't think I'll make anymore, unless I'm mysteriously inspired.

Anyway, I forgot to reply to the other critiques. I was tired and rather annoyed from the work I had to do yesterday. But in any case, I agree with you. (Actually, I think the spiral staircase is fine, but I guess that's just differing opinions/tastes.)

ragingspeedhorn said:
Hope to see you make a glorious return for Sc2? ;)
Most likely, though I'll probably be using another name. The new terrain possibilities in SC2 are drool-tastic.

@Oziris: I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking for the map of my first terrain? If so, I don't have it. It's gone. Probably should stay that way, it was crap :p "Panda RPG" I believe it was called. Something about a revolution.

I agree most of these aren't my best. The best ones are on the first page (with a couple here). Maybe I should have posted my bad ones first :p Setting the bar too high isn't a smart thing to do. Oh well.

Level 8
Very nice work Death, even know I've seen pretty much all of 'em before they are awesome.
18 & 19 are that town in Mejis right?

Edit: No wait, I'm retarded. It's Tull from the first book.

Last edited:
Level 25
[Death];385148 said:
Oh. Then yeah, lots of boo-boos I made in these! You should post all your old terrains if you haven't already, it's fun to see how people progress.

All of my old timer works are at the Unofficial Maps 'n' Mods website's forums. I'll try to find them... but I'll have to dig deep, since it was like four years ago.

[Edit1]:
The pictures I had once uploaded to the website have been deleted by administrators since it was an old closed thread. But I though I ought to show this link of my posts there as an example of how horrible my grammar and spelling was. I'm a little ticked off that not even my screenshots are available to look at. But oh well.

[Edit2]:
I remembered that I uploaded all my pictures at Imageshack.com, and thankfully, my old screenies still exist! If you wanna check them all out, go here. Password is "crakaj".
~Craka_J

Last edited:
Level 9
Great that you took some time to collect some of your terrains !

Anyway, what i really like with your terrains is your creativity and all the small details you add which makes everything so interesting to look at :thumbs_up:

To bad you have lost your inspiration to terrain :cry: but I have always been a big fan of your work, and will always be ! you were one of those who inspired me in the first place to terrain !

/MadseN

Level 9
Wow most of thsoe are really cool terrains, few things to mention though.

In the fall ones, the flowers look out of place and create to much contrast between the fall brown and the more summer flowers.

The Libary is to static, i could use some extra doodads.
for the waterfall city, its abit static, and the upper floor looks extremely thin to build houses on, but eh.. could be magic aint it?

Status
Not open for further replies.