• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Deandra's Tale Remake

246485-3015ebedb54376babb16f21d9922ab53.jpg

The lovelorn Deandra returns, with a vengeance! Re-introducing Deandra's Tale Remake, a custom campaign for Warcraft III version 1.35. Originally released in 2004 (and posted on HIVE in 2007), this campaign follows the beautiful kaldorei Deandra, her dutiful sidekick Gabriella and the cheery Cindy in an epic tale for romance for the ages! Be sure to check out previous epic entries in the series, Joe's Quest Remake and Mordork's Quest Remake!

Features
  • 4 re-worked single-player chapters and 4 cinematic interludes!
  • New custom music and sounds!
  • Hundreds of custom models, voice files and music!

246487-cb7b8db4c45e2332d692781852ad016e.jpg
246486-24780705f134dfa804efbeb8d7bfc70c.jpg
246488-23692f3281b0575382e9b074ff54a668.jpg
246489-8377094377fd2bab11408a1164cd0055.jpg
246490-a81e43d16eb39c4a05b248eacbdfe347.jpg
246491-0de014ad738fa87dde223d65b88d98fd.jpg

matborder-png.373331

joechroniclesold-png.401387

This completes the remaking of (nearly every) entry of Joe's Chronicles, beginning with Joe's Quest and Mordork's Quest! These campaigns were reworked from the ground up, with new characters, new music, new vibes! I wanted to enhance the dreamy, ethereal nature of this entry with the music and its visuals, and I really hoped I achieved that. Anyway, thank you to those that have continued to support me in this mapping journey!

matborder-png.373331

FAQ
1) Have all levels been remastered?
Yes, all levels have been edited and remastered.
2) Why does Deandra have a crush on Illidan? Because Illidan's the tall, brooding type, the complete opposite of his tree-hugging brother.
3) How did you go about remaking that infamous 'stealth level'? You're referring to the level where Deandra sneaks around an orc fortress where she constantly gets caught by wolves, right? Spoiler alert, but I basically completely scrapped the alarm mechanic, and streamlined the "stealth" system. I personally never liked how clunky the system was in the original.
4) Will you remake Joe's Quest 1.5? No plans, but I am considering incorporating elements from that chapter into a possible sequel if it ever pushes through.
5) Is that the soundtrack to Space Runaway Ideon? Yes! One of my favorite scores of the late Koichi Sugiyama.

matborder-png.373331

Changelog

• Released on November 21, 2022

• Increased the damage of certain creeps and minor bosses
  • Changed Illidan's line regarding Deandra's blindfold
  • Made Deandra sit after she speaks to Illidan instead of 'dying'
  • Changed Zardozz the Faceless One's reward to a Crown of Kings
  • Added a small effect on the infernal when attacked by the Eye of Newt
  • Reduced collision size of friendly Furbolgs
  • Made Ogag's dynamite barrel pile look much bigger, similar to the original
  • "Unhid" one of the codex entries beside the Lightning Lizard in the stealth level
  • Corrected some spell and unit descriptions in the final level
  • Renamed 'Owl of Doom' to 'Raven of Doom'
  • Removed all the explosive mines in the final level
  • Removed Glaive Thrower and Huntress upgrades in the final level
  • Added correct spells to Yogi Furbolg
  • Removed Shadowmeld during key cutscene in the final level so heroes aren't invisible
  • Fixed some typos found in the campaign
  • Special thanks to the magnificent Armelior_is_back

• Updated Remake from 1.27b to v.1.35 / Warcraft III: Reforged

Known Issues
  • Game may crash in certain levels, so save frequently
  • In-game Music may suddenly stop playing. Just save your game and reload

matborder-png.373331

Credits

Blizzard Entertainment
Warcraft Underground
Lazarator
Sumadin
Waredcraft
YourArthas
Renn
Vinz
Nortuega
Henry
Yonatan_DS
Aeonux
Dreamcraft
Zenonoth
EviL_BuddhA

Blizzard Entertainment
Debussy
Koichi Sugiyama

Contents

Deandra's Tale BRONZE (Campaign)

Deandra's Tale Remake (Campaign)

Deandra's Tale Remake (Campaign)

Reviews
VGsatomi: Approved. Prelude to MapMedGuy's well-known "Joe's Quest" series. A must play.
Level 8
I finished the campaign, and I can tell it is a good parody of the Warcraft and the other too-serious RPG and RTS fantasy games. Sometimes the characters break the fourth wall.
Gameplay pro and contra:
- Pro:
  • Cindy's Charm ability in last mission allowed me to control the human and blood elf units.
  • Kodo mission are pretty easy, if you ensnare the big kodos with hippogryph marauders.
  • The item reward from the furbolg (1st map) buffs you enough to finish the 1st mission.
  • The cinematics (interludes) are enjoyable between the missions.
  • The Ned Flanders-esque speaking, like Damnidar are a bit awkward, but a give an unique trait to Deandra
  • The many hidden tome of experiences allowed me to level up faster than I thought.
- Con:
  • In the RTS missions I do not have a chance to control siege weapons in the earlier missions.
  • Gabriella should be a hero really, and have a normal visible icon.
  • Cindy's cage should be atleast 600 health, I had a trouble to keep it alive, when I met the satrys.
  • The explosion of Gabriella are unnecessary, a simple kill trigger is more better than that.
  • Where is the Kutsiyo? I never found it.
  • The Avatar of Vengeance is not affected by the alert meter.
  • During the Shandris cinematic scene, the purple wolves came and ran about near Deandra
  • If you train a single hippogryph, the name of the bird is Hippogryph Marauder also.
The story is pretty fun and good overall. With enjoyable parodies, a motivation to defeat the ones, who killed the best friend of Deadra, a desire for love, fourth wall breaking and avert/deconstruct some tropes. (like fantasy names, seriousness of the events etc.) Captain Benedict's treason are unexpected for me, I thought Proudmoore was the one, who led the attack.
The draenei skin camouflage has no sense, an orc camouflage is way better than a draenei skin.

Final words: I am curious about the Joe's story.
My rating is 4/5

Last edited:
Level 5
Some one plz tell me Complete story of this campaing i read its about war of Ancients its true( if yes i Download this) ?! I love warcraft books

Level 4
Would you mind sharing some feedback? Like bugs or what specifically you enjoyed?
  • Good environment which gave me another vibe while playing it
  • Models like them ( rather than the whisp )
  • Chapter one the spooky vibe while playing
  • Chapter two giant Gronn death animation ( explotion with somehow fireworks or similar )
  • Chapter three sneaky mode which is my favorite thing in every game also kodo beast rampage
  • Chapter four the sound of the bow on the hero + the bullets sounds I think was of the human units above the blue base

Level 20
I know how important good feedback is, so I'm trying to give as much as possible (and hopefully useful advices as a fellow mapmaker) :
WALL OF TEXT & MAJOR NICKPICKING INCOMING !

-Played the 2.00 version on normal difficulty on my 1.27 game version-

*those are mostly the same as for Joe's remake :
-first, the presentation is top-notch : loading screens, new models, sounds, music, cutscenes etc. are excellent as always (well I don't like the new death screams but that's personal preference)
-for the models, do you use a map with all the models from the mod Rebirth as a base for all your maps ?
-is it on purpose that all the maps are available immediately and aren't connected ? because of Reforged's aversion to campaigns maybe ?
-the music rarely stops after playing this time compared to Joe's quest
-love the idea of collectible codex entries rewarding exploration, and the notes/journal in particular give an insight into the characters (even a random satyr who's possibly a fan of Sean Connery)
-some npc dialogs that appear overhead are easy to miss and don't get logged, I would prefer if you used "transmission from unit" to not miss anything

*those are just for Deandra :
-I think all the new models are from WOW, in any case they're more consistent compared to some in the other remakes
-otherwise it's probably the campaign with the less changes of the trilogy, it's fine by me since Deandra is my favorite from the old versions
-the night elf emotes (well I assume, never played WOW) of Gabriella look really cheesy, I don't know if it's on purpose or not since your cutscenes are generally « serious » in execution even if the characters & story are not
-from her abilities descriptions, it looks like the name of Deandra's class should be « wannabe demon huntress »
-the sentries are supposed to get frenzy but they don't
-I'm not sure about some new animations : it kinda looks like Furion is inviting Illidan to dance before they part ways :xxd:, and the whole suicidal death of the demon hunter is really weird for when Deandra feints (I think it was like that in the old version too, but it's stranger with more HD models) -maybe make the camera tilt in POV and then show her on the ground
-I'm a bit confused, are Illidan and Deandra supposed to be blind or not ? They don't seem to be, but Deandra's blindfold is mentionned...
-the building behind Califax has an old texture which is distracting now that everything else is HD
-I like that Gabriella is now a hero
-it's pretty strange to use a tauren's hoof icon for the nightelves's evasion
-the furbolgs, giants and bears are big beefy boys and tend to make pathfinding nnoyances, maybe reduce their collision size a bit
-the map is really easy since your losses are replenished and the heroes are revived, it's not a problem for me since it's the 1st one but I thought I would mention it as some players probably wouldn't like it
-last codex entry « oticed »
-in the cutscene with the infernal, maybe put also a visual special effect when the eye activates instead of just the sound
-I like the change from kodo to whatever those cousins of cyclops from heroes of might&magic are
-yayyy ! Gabriella's not dead ! :smile:
-in the intro, Illidan says he lost his « temper composure »
-skamweedle is one ugly goblin ! He looks like he could be from warhammer even though he's probably from WOW
-either « gip » is an insult I don't know about or you meant « git »
-the 1st half of the map is pretty empty – there are creeps to fight but most of them don't have mana so you have to wait to get it back to fight or ignore them, and there are surprisingly few codex entries (I found only 2 before entering)
-I found a Wally easter egg (with the trolls, before you encounter him), are there more ?
-I don't think you have to spell it out so much for the 'bug on the orc' puzzle since it's not even a puzzle anymore
-kutsilyo seems to need mana even though you can't click it
-are the 2 zardozzes different people, or killing a satyr can give you a faceless ?
-orb of slow is normally a very good item but not so much when you already have kutsilyo ( which is optional, I know)
-in Agog's gloating scene I remember the pile of powder kegs being more impressive... I think it's the camera angle that's different
-between the catapult and the lever to open the path to the book there is a group of orcs who don't defend themselves (well at least it happened once)
-one of the codex entries is impossible to get, after checking in the editor it's « illidan's imprisonment » (near the big lizard) that is never revealed after the initial hiding (but for some reason it is visible if you load a save, maybe I missed something)
-I think the old « where is the base ? You're standing on it/WHAT?!! » was way more funny than the new dialog, but we still have the dramatic dezoom at least :smile:
-I see Drek'thar is talking sh*t about the future WOW lore, nice
- Ogga's dialog « that (cough) smarts » I don't get it ? Is he being ironic about being shot because he was stupid ?
-the whole « they want to eat us » makes more sense now with the new dialog (or my memory is faulty)
-I don't remember Jaina being this bloodthirsty - seems out of character for her – wasn't her father in her place before ?
-cindy seems inconsistent about the strangers : here she says they're all the same and can't be trusted, then in the next map she's sympathetic when they're attacking us
-I like the intro with the humans and orcs fighting everywhere, but like in map1 the big guys are a little cramped
-the invulnerable corpses can be healed by tranquility and get in the way of selection/pathfinfing, better to create corpses (not on map initialization or it doesn't work) than to have units playing dead – and one of them (gronn) is still moving
-I don't know if the captured wyverns are supposed to stay neutral
-yogi has lost his abilities but still has mana, so is it intended because he was OP ?
-deandra and gabriella are invisible in the « capturing the base » cutscene, maybe because/if it's nighttime ?
-yogi becomes invisible when polymorphed
-the 2 furbolg spellcasters have the same description
-the spellcaster's upgrades have wrong descriptions and/or the old druid one
-you can still research huntresses and glaivethrowers' upgrades but not train them, you only have 2 of each max – maybe make the static defense and the classic siege unit the same
-the newly recruited hippogryphs freeze for some reason (only visual glitch)
-the « owl of doom » looks more like a raven scout to me
-the enemy AI is way more aggressive than before, which is good since it was passive IIRC, but the 3 bases still have tons of defenses, mines, preplaced units and they rebuild constantly : IMO it's a bit too much now
-the mines when you don't have any way to see invisible units is bullsh*t :angry:
-the red base AI seems broken since I don't think they attack at all but they have like 40-50 units in their base
-jaina's codex entry « led her a »

This remake doesn't change much gameplay-wise but it still improves and has great presentation. The last map could still use some fine-tuning (those goddamn mines!). It's still my favorite of the trilogy in story and gameplay, except map4.

I hope this will be useful to Med. MapGuy.

Level 23
Creator's Notes (12/15/2022)

Special shout out to Amelior_is_back for his excellent reviews of the Joe's Chronicles series. Meanwhile, Warcraft III: Reforged has Custom Campaigns! They finally did it! After all these years of waiting and working with an extremely outdated version of WCIII, it's finally here... and it kinda works?

Reforged.jpg

So it appears my custom loading screens fail to load. I have no idea how to make HD loading screens for now, so it sucks to just get these generic loading screens.

s2a.jpg
s2b.jpg

Here's a quick side-by-side comparison of Deandra's Tale in Reforged and Classic graphics setting. It's looking amazing so far, and the fidelity is great. Unfortunately, the custom tree textures don't seem to be loading properly in Classic. The best part is seeing the overlay of 'Med. MapGuy Presents' look properly high-res versus how it looked in older WC3 versions.

Tree.jpg

*Side note: While the custom tree texture doesn't load in-game, it works perfectly fine in the World Editor. That's kind of annoying.

s3a.jpg
s3b.jpg

Another comparison, the dense forest looks really impressive in Reforged. Though I am partial to Classic version as its way easier to edit assets.

s1b.jpg
s1a.jpg

As for the gameplay segments, Reforged graphics looks great... save for the custom stone path tileset not working. The eerie glow of Shadowmeld on the WoW models really gives them a nice sheen. But for now, I say stick with Classic graphics mode if you're interested in trying out the campaign for yourself!

s4a.jpg

Anyway, here's hoping they iron out the issues with the PTR! Give Deandra's Tale, and the other entries in the series a go if you're interested!!

Last edited:
Level 13
Creator's Notes (12/15/2022)

Special shout out to Amelior_is_back for his excellent reviews of the Joe's Chronicles series. Meanwhile, Warcraft III: Reforged has Custom Campaigns! They finally did it! After all these years of waiting and working with an extremely outdated version of WCIII, it's finally here... and it kinda works?

View attachment 415667

So it appears my custom loading screens fail to load. I have no idea how to make HD loading screens for now, so it sucks to just get these generic loading screens.

View attachment 415670View attachment 415671

Here's a quick side-by-side comparison of Deandra's Tale in Reforged and Classic graphics setting. It's looking amazing so far, and the fidelity is great. Unfortunately, the custom tree textures don't seem to be loading properly in Classic. The best part is seeing the overlay of 'Med. MapGuy Presents' look properly high-res versus how it looked in older WC3 versions.

View attachment 415675

*Side note: While the custom tree texture doesn't load in-game, it works perfectly fine in the World Editor. That's kind of annoying.

View attachment 415672View attachment 415673

Another comparison, the dense forest looks really impressive in Reforged. Though I am partial to Classic version as its way easier to edit assets.

View attachment 415669View attachment 415668

As for the gameplay segments, Reforged graphics looks great... save for the custom stone path tileset not working. The eerie glow of Shadowmeld on the WoW models really gives them a nice sheen. But for now, I say stick with Classic graphics mode if you're interested in trying out the campaign for yourself!

View attachment 415674

Anyway, here's hoping they iron out the issues with the PTR! Give Deandra's Tale, and the other entries in the series a go if you're interested!!

Definitely good news for a map makers as well as anyone using Reforged. Considering how fast and how much Blizzard has paid attention to Warcraft 3 over the years, I wouldn't be too quick to put aside the old versions and the campaigns made for them. Also, I still think that the real talent is OUTSIDE Blizzard's ranks and that they should have found a way to attract those people somehow. After all, Blizzard only created the game, but it got real development thanks to the independent creators. And the fact that Reforged is paid (we had to buy Warcraft 3 twice), I don't want to comment at all, as well as the state in which it appeared. All this I will not soon forget.

Level 23
Thank you VanAndro, it looks like I may have to upload the Pre-Reforged versions of my campaigns soon.

As for this latest update, Deandra's Tale Remake has officially been ported over to Warcraft III: Reforged with the latest 1.35 patch. Updating wasn't entirely straighttfoward, as certain models and textures fail to load in-game. This latest version at least has a proper mission loading screen, and new widescreen loading screens. If there are any bugs or gameplay issues, please report them here. Enjoy!

Level 26
I played with the remake version of the campaign - for legacy version -. I found some bugs in this version, but before I post anything about it, you are going to update it in the future that version too, or you are concentrating your efforts only in the reforged version?

Thank you very much for this campaign too, it was fantastic. For me, it's more fight and tactic, less homour. Mordork's Quest & Joe's Quest are funnier. (Somehow, don't ask why).

Level 5
Hi there,

I tried playing this campaign on Reforged with the latest version that's supported for 1.35 patches. Unfortunately, my game keeps crashing upon loading into chapter 3 (Eye for an Eye)

I just thought you might wanna know, I don't believe it's an issue on my end as I've been playing your other custom campaigns that's also updated for Reforged too. Could you please look into this?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 23
Level 28
Hi there,

I tried playing this campaign on Reforged with the latest version that's supported for 1.35 patches. Unfortunately, my game keeps crashing upon loading into chapter 3 (Eye for an Eye)

I just thought you might wanna know, I don't believe it's an issue on my end as I've been playing your other custom campaigns that's also updated for Reforged too. Could you please look into this?

Thank you!
The problem is just like the same guy who encountered the same when playing the Scourge of Lordaeron campaign (Re-Reforged version by InsaneMonster, not the vanilla one). Did you try redownloading the campaign? If this don't help, please repair the WC3 installation or just get a fresh hard drive.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The problem is just like the same guy who encountered the same when playing the Scourge of Lordaeron campaign (Re-Reforged version by InsaneMonster, not the vanilla one). Did you try redownloading the campaign? If this don't help, please repair the WC3 installation or just get a fresh hard drive.
If you read the error closely it seems to be related to an imported model, not to hard drive or file download issues. Generally, if a .w3n campaign file is not properly downloaded it won't work at all, not some maps yes and some not.

Level 5
Aye, that would seems to be a case here. I tried repairing the game and it doesn't work. I don't believe it's a case of my game being incomplete in files or my hard drive having a problem either. If it's the case of my hard drive the issue would be more severe and isn't just with this specific chapter of the campaign.

I like to believe the issue is on my end and it's something I can fix myself, but it doesn't looks like the case here.

Just thought this is something that should be reported to Med. MapGuy asap. At least someone else who has Reforged could have try the campaign out and report if they face similar issue as me.

Level 13
Hi there,

Thank you!

Dant95 Free up RAM! Read this (my) post Malfurion's Quest v1.4 and don't forget to say what the result was.

Last edited:
Level 13
A wonderful adventure that will make it difficult for some of the players of chap.4 with a tendency to even refuse them. Actually, the level isn't that hard - I liked it. Chap.1 is slightly challenging as well but only halfway through. Chap.,2 and 3 are played with 1 hand only. The campaign has bugs but not fatal ones and overall runs smoothly. I'm glad the music cutoff issue has been resolved. Visually, the campaign is a feast for the eyes. As for the degree of difficulty - rather easy.

Assassin's Blade Kutsilyo
On chap.4 I assumed that this item was only for chap.3 because it was missing from the inventory.
Warcraft III Screenshot 2023.05.24 - 17.55.08.28.png

On chap.3 an interesting misunderstanding occurred. I had forgotten that I had already passed this level and started it again. Here was the result:
Warcraft III Screenshot 2023.05.24 - 16.19.21.76.png Warcraft III Screenshot 2023.05.24 - 16.45.24.43.png

naturally I expected that on chap.4 I would have Blade x2 but alas I didn't have one.

And at the end, I think there must be someone else here. This error is floating ie sometimes it happens - sometimes it doesn't.
Warcraft III Screenshot 2023.05.24 - 18.15.08.69.png

Provided that there are only errors within the acceptable range, there is no way I would give less than 5. Played on 1.27 / campaign version Deandra's Tale Remake 1.27.w3n or 2.00 as described in Wc3 - I was actually expecting it to be 2.01 but that's within the acceptable range as well.

Level 6
I repeatably get CTD with error while loading Chapter 3, "Eye for an eye". Latest version of the campaign, the one for W3 version 1.36.1, "Deandra's Tale Remake.w3n".

Last edited:
Level 28
I repeatably get CTD with error while loading Chapter 3, "Eye for an eye". Latest version of the campaign, the one for W3 version 1.36.1, "Deandra's Tale Remake.w3n".
I think this is the same CTD error that someone has encountered before, which is somewhat related to the imported models.

Level 28
should i play both bronze and remake?
or remake is enough. whats the difference between them?
The remake version of Med.MapGuy's Joe Chronicles series (Joe's Quest, Mordork's Quest, Deandra's Tale) has a better graphics and gameplay experience. It also supports both Classic (1.27) and Reforged (1.35/1.36) Warcraft III.
The original version released in 2004 is no longer suitable for the modern Warcraft III patches due to the plethora amount of bugs. That's why playing the remake is recommended.