• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Damage Engine 5.A.0.0

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
Damage Engine

Three GUI Damage systems for the community of The Hive,
Seven vJass Damage systems for the JASS-heads on their pedestals high,
Nine competing Damage systems, doomed to die,
One for Bribe on his dark throne
In the Land of the Hive where the Workshop lies.
One Damage Engine to rule them all, One Damage Engine to find them,
One Damage Engine to bring them all and in cross-compatibility unite them.

Whether you're looking for a simple DDS (Damage Detection System), need to modify damage or even if you want a complex network of damage pre-and post-processing, this resource is for you. Damage Engine is the most adapted DDS in existence to take full advantage of the new damage detection natives, and is constantly evaluated and scrutinized by both the community and myself for performance improvements, bug fixes and new features alike.

What started with humble beginnings to bring a Unit Indexer-based version of DDS to GUI users to improve on the previous standard (at the time it was Weep's GDDS) would eventually evolve to incorporate other aspects of damage systems out there. @looking_for_help had identified an extremely useful technique with negative spell resistance being used to detect spell damage, and for a time his Physical Damage Detection system became the new standard. It wouldn't be until much later when Damage Engine would resurface and use the same technique in order to be more useful for the community.

Fast forward to 2020, and you'll find not only that cross-compatibility with Weep's and LFH's systems are incorporated, but the most popular DDS systems in existence - even vJass ones - are fully supported via stripped-down API wrappers. All of the functionality of prior DDS systems has been infused into Damage Engine 5.7, and as such the transition to a "one size fits all" DDS is complete. I hope you find this to be useful, and I also hope that it will help you in developing your map to be more dynamic what than you had previously thought possible.

Features

Legacy Code & Requirements

How it works

How to install/upgrade

Video Guides

FAQs

Thanks

• Damage Type, Attack Type, Weapon Type, Armor Type and Defense Type detection and modification to alter/understand the fundamentals of WarCraft 3's damage processing;
  • Access to the view and change the damage amount before and/or after reduction by armor, armor type and shields.
  • Fully cross-compatible with every major DDS - vJass and GUI alike.
  • Correctly distribute/negate Spirit Link damage.
  • Differentiate between Ranged, Melee, Spell or other types of attack.
  • Does not require any Object Editor data nor Unit Indexer.
  • As of 5.4, it is now completely recursion-proof.
  • Other features:
    • Damage Blocking, reducing, amplifying and/or conversion to healing
    • Does not require you to know nor use Jass NewGen Pack nor any custom script
    • Custom DamageType association available to be set before and/or during damage event
    • Detect when multiple targets were hit simultaneously via DamageEventAOE > 1.
    • Detect when the same unit was hit simultaneously by the same source via DamageEventLevel > 1.
  • Detect damage: use the event "OnDamageEventEqual to <any value>". You have access to the following variables for reference:
    • DamageEventSource - the unit dealing the damage
    • DamageEventTarget - the unit receiving the damage
    • DamageEventAmount - the amount of damage the unit will receive
    • DamageEventPrevAmt - the amount of damage prior to being modified by the game engine.
    • DamageEventAttackT - the attack type (Chaos, Spells, Pierce, etc.)
    • DamageEventDamageT - the damage type - for comprehensive info, click here.
    • DamageEventWeaponT - the weapon type determines if an attack plays some kind of sound on attack (ie. Metal Heavy Bash). It is always NONE for spells and almost always NONE for ranged attacks.
    • DamageEventArmorT - the armor type (Flesh, Stone, Ethereal, etc.)
    • DamageEventDefenseT - the defense type (Hero, Fortified, Unarmored, etc.)
    • DamageEventArmorPierced - if DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL, how much armor was set to be ignored by the user.
    • IsDamageSpell, IsDamageRanged, IsDamageMelee - determine the source category of damage dealt.
    • IsDamageCode - Determine if the damage was dealt natively or by the user. This can give incorrect readings if the user has not identified to Damage Engine that it is code damage. Therefore I recommend setting NextDamageType prior to dealing damage.
    • DamageEventType - An integer identifier that can be referenced by you for whatever extra differentiation you need. You can also create your own special damage types and add them to the definitions in the Damage Event Config trigger. If you the unit should explode on death by that damage, use a damage type integer less than 0. If you want the damage to ignore all modifications, use DamageTypePure.
  • To change damage before it's processed by the WarCraft 3 engine: use the event "PreDamageEvent Becomes Equal to <any value>". Whether you just want to use one monolithic trigger for all damage modification like I do in the demo map, or use the different modifier events here, is up to you.
  • To interact with damage after it's been factored for armor and resistances, use "ArmorDamageEvent Becomes Equal to <any value>". This is typically useful for custom shields. If you fully block or absorb DamageEventAmount (setting it to 0 or less), this event doesn't run.
  • To set the DamageEventType before dealing triggered Damage, use:
    - Set NextDamageType = DamageTypeWhatever
    - Unit - Cause...
  • You can modify the following variables from a "PreDamageEvent" trigger:
    • DamageEventAmount
    • DamageEventAttackT/DamageT/WeaponT/ArmorT/DefenseT
    • DamageEventArmorPierced
    • DamageEventType
    • DamageEventOverride - You can set this if you want to remind yourself not to modify the damage further. If you use the UNKOWN damage type from a Unit - Damage Target native or set "NextDamageType = DamageTypePure" before that function, damage modification is skipped.
  • To catch a unit the moment before it would die from damage, use LethalDamageEvent Becomes Equal to 1.00. Instead of modifying the DamageEventAmount here, modify LethalDamageHP to let the system know how much life to keep the unit alive with. Or you can just reference that LethalDamageHP value in order to know how much "overkill" damage was dealt.
  • To catch a unit as soon as the damage is applied against its Hit Points, use AfterDamageEvent Equal to 1.00.
  • Usage of the "<Event> becomes EQUAL to <value>" can be extrapolated as per the below:
    • EQUAL works as it always has - will run for any damage.
    • NOT EQUAL only runs for code damage.
    • LESS THAN only runs for damage from attacks but not coded attacks.
    • LESS THAN OR EQUAL only runs for melee attacks but not coded attacks.
    • GREATER THAN OR EQUAL only runs for ranged attacks but not coded attacks.
    • GREATER THAN only runs for Spell damage but not coded spell damage.

• Damage Engine 5 and higher requires the latest Warcraft 3 patch (currently 1.32).
  • For people who did not update their game to Reforged / have not updated to Reforged yet. Alternatively, adding the below JASS script to the top of the DamageEngine library SHOULD enable it to work too:

JASS:
    function BlzGetEventIsAttack takes nothing returns boolean
         return BlzGetEventDamageType() == DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL
    endfunction
  • I have created a Pastebin for all information pertaining to Damage Engine 3.8, including the link to download it, via: Damage Engine 3.8.0.0 | HIVE.
  • As of 20 June 2020, JNGP users who are still on WarCraft 3 1.26 can benefit from Damage Engine 3A, which integrates many of the design choices added in various stages of Damage Engine 5. This is a special update which only requires the JASS script be replaced (no new GUI variables added). Can be found here: Damage Engine 3A.0.0.0 and 3.8.0.0 | HIVE

Unit attacks or casts a spell. The pure damage is assessed at this point - damage dice, evasion, critical strike. There is currently no event to affect or modify these at source.
→ →
The projectile or weapon hits the target unit
→ →
EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGING is fired before any modifications to the damage are made.
→ ↓
↓ ←
User changes to DamageEventAmount and/or to DamageEventDamageT/AttackT/WeaponT are saved into the WC3 engine.
← ←
If any recursive damage is detected from any of those events, it is postponed and the current damage will continue first.
← ←
Damage Engine deploys the PreDamageEvent
WarCraft 3 processes the user damage.
→ →
WarCraft 3 then distributes the user damage into Spirit Link (before armor)
→ →
WarCraft 3 runs any interrupting events, such as spirit link or defensive damage like Thorns Aura
→ ↓
↓ ←
The EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED event runs. This is the original event we have always had access to. Damage Engine will either keep using the original variables from the DAMAGING event, or if there was Spirit Link/defensive damage it will freshly retrieve the event values from WC3 and only retain DamageEventPrevAmt.
← ←
Once any potential recursive WarCraft 3 damage is processed, the armor/mana shield modifications to the damage are performed.
← ←
If such events such as Spirit Link were detected, they fire their own EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGING & EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED, and DamageEngine processes it along the way for the user.
If the damage is above zero, ArmorDamageEvent will run. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
→ →
The user can make modification to the damage here with the after-damage amount.
→ →
The user can access DamageEventPrevAmount if they want to know the damage amount before user changes/WarCraft 3 changes.
→ ↓
↓ ←
The user can specify whether or not to change LethalDamageHP in order to stop the unit from dying.
← ←
If the damage is still above zero, check if the damage is lethal. If so, run LethalDamageEvent 1.00. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
← ←
If the user wants the value that DamageEngine used to have with DamageEventPrevAmt (after WarCraft 3 processing but before user changes) they multiply DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingWC3.
Once all modification is done, run OnDamageEvent. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
→ →
After a new damage instance is detected, or the 0.00 timer expires, run AfterDamageEvent. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
→ →
Run all potential recursive Unit - Damage Target function calls in chronological order (first in, first out).

How to install Damage Engine:
  1. Use WarCraft 3 Version 1.32
  2. If you're upgrading from 3.8 or prior, please delete the entire "Damage Engine" category from your map.
  3. Copy & Paste the Damage Engine category from the attached map to your own map.
How do I upgrade to the latest Damage Engine?
- Depending on the complexity, you'll either need to re-copy the Damage Engine category or just the Damage Engine script. Generally, you can use this as a guide:

• Damage Engine _._._.x - only requires copying of the JASS script
  • Damage Engine _._.x._ - generally only needs copying of the JASS script, but read the patch notes in case there are changes you may want to make to your own code in order to utilize the changes.
  • Damage Engine _.x._._ - delete your current Damage Engine category or manually add the missing variables to your Variable Editor, and update your JASS script.
  • Damage Engine x._._._ - this occurs very infrequently. Typically requires changes to the way Damage Engine needs to be installed and used.

Notes about upgrading from Damage Engine 4.0 or prior:
  • Revert any custom Object Editor changes made (such as Life Drain reversal, Spell Damage Reduction inversion, etc).
  • You can safely delete the custom spells "Spell Damage Detection" and "Cheat Death Ability"
  • You can delete the Unit Indexer trigger if you do not use it or would prefer to use a different indexer.
  • You should delete any "Mana Shield fix" or "Finger of Death fix" you may have imported, as well as revert any Object Editor data that was required to make it work, as these are no longer needed.
  • !!!DEPRECATED FEATURE!!! As of 5.4, do not bother to take any recursive damage mitigation - Damage Engine will now handle all of that for you!
  • !!!DEPRECATED FEATURE!!! Do not use "ClearDamageEvent" - it does nothing. Just delete it.
  • !!!DEPRECATED FEATURE!!! Do not use "NextDamageOverride" - set NextDamageType = DamageTypePure instead.
  • !!!CHANGED FEATURE!!! If the system detects code damage and the user did not specify it as any particular DamageEvenType, the system will assign it DamageTypeCode automatically.
  • !!!CHANGED FEATURE!!! DamageModifierEvent 1.00-3.00 now run prior to armor reduction. This enables the user to modify the damage before armor and resistance changes are applied - also before Mana Shield and Anti-Magic shell kick in, so no more need for special triggers.

• Q: Why am I getting a bunch of 'trigger was disabled' errors when I save my map?
  • A: This issue is not unique to Damage Engine, but to all vJass resources. Blizzard has taken the very confusing decision to make JassHelper 'disabled' by default, meaning that every new map that uses a vJass resource has to manually enable JassHelper. Please see this thread if you want to know where to find the Enable JassHelper option.
  • Q: How can I detect when a unit gets damaged?
  • A: Create a trigger with the event: "Game - Value of Real Variable <DamageEvent> becomes Equal to 1.00".
    • Use the following custom variables to reference the event responses:
      • DamageEventSource - the unit dealing the damage
      • DamageEventTarget - the unit getting damaged
      • DamageEventAmount - how much damage is being dealt
      • DamageEventAttackT - which attack type was used by DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget
      • DamageEventDamageT - which damage type was used to damage the target (ie. UNIVERSAL for ultimate damage, or NORMAL for damage that gets reduced by armor).
      • DamageEventDefenseT - which defense type does the target unit have (ie. Hero, Fortified, Unarmored).
      • DamageEventArmorT - which armor type does the target unit have (ie. Flesh, Ethereal, Stone).
      • DamageEventPrevAmt - what the value of the damage was before being modified by armor, ethereal/item bonuses or user changes.
  • Q: How do I modify the damage that is dealt to a unit?
  • A: Create a trigger with the event: "Game - Value of Real Variable <PreDamageEvent> becomes Equal to <any value>".
    • You can change the following variables to affect the damage that will be dealt:
      • DamageEventAmount - how much damage will be dealt (before armor reductions)
      • DamageEventAttackT - which attack type will be used by DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget
      • DamageEventDamageT - which damage type will be used to damage the target.
      • DamageEventDefenseT - which defense type should the target unit have during this attack.
      • DamageEventArmorT - which armor type should the target unit have during this attack.
      • DamageEventArmorPierced - how much armor value to ignore when dealing this damage (applies to DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL only, otherwise all armor is ignored).

• Q: How do I deal Pure damage to a unit (bypassing armor/skipping user modification)?
  • A: Use the following actions:
    • Set NextDamageType = DamageTypePure
    • Unit - Cause Source to damage Target for Amount using attack type Spells and damage type Universal

• Q: How do I protect against recursive damage?
  • A: Damage Engine 5.4 and above is completely recursion-proof, using vJass hooks to detect registered Damage Event triggers.

• Q: I've been using <insert Damage system here>. Can I use those with Damage Engine?
  • A: Better - Damage Engine has integrated cross-compatibility with all other approved Damage systems and even the major ones from outside of Hiveworkhop.

• Q: Can I cause an attack to 'Miss' its target?
  • A: Kind of. Ranged attacks will still explode on the target, and on-hit effects will still apply, but you can do the following:
    • Use the event "PreDamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00"
    • Use the following actions:
      • Set DamageEventAmount = 0.00
      • Set DamageEventArmorT = ARMOR_TYPE_NONE
      • Set DamageEventWeaponT = WEAPON_TYPE_NONE
    • Setting the weapon type and armor type to none like the above will stop any on-hit sounds from playing. When the Peasant attacks in the demo map, this is the trick I'm using. Instead of saying "MISSED!" I have the Floating Text saying "FAIL!" because - again - it's not exactly a "miss".

Thank you to Blizzard for continuing to work on this amazing game to give us awesome new natives that have the best possible control over incoming damage. Damage Engine brings that power to GUI. Also, a very special thank you to @KILLCIDE for getting me motivated to start up the 5.0 project in the first place.

Thank you to the users of this system who have helped me mold this project into the stable, powerful form it is in today!

For versions 3.8 and prior:

Thank you @looking_for_help for finding the spell damage detection method used in Damage Engine 3 - it was the greatest find since the undefend bug.

Thanks to Jesus4Lyf and @Nestharus for building the inspiration that originally led me to create DamageEngine.

Thank you Wietlol and looking_for_help for challenging me on this project to integrate solutions to problems I had not been made aware of, such as the importance of an After-Damage Event.

Thanks to @Spellbound for several crucial bug reports.

Damage Engine Config

Damage Engine vJass

Damage Engine Lua

Changelog

• Damage Engine Config
    • Events
      • Map initialization
      • Game - DamageModifierEvent becomes Greater than 0.00
      • Game - LethalDamageEvent becomes Less than or equal to 0.00
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Not equal to 0.00
      • Game - AfterDamageEvent becomes Less than 0.00
      • Game - AOEDamageEvent becomes Greater than or equal to 0.00
      • Game - SourceDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - PreDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - ArmorDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - ZeroDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- You can add extra classifications here if you want to differentiate between your triggered damage --------
      • -------- Use DamageTypeExplosive (or any negative value damage type) if you want a unit killed by that damage to explode --------
      • -------- - --------
      • -------- The pre-defined type Code might be set by Damage Engine if Unit - Damage Target is detected and the user didn't define a type of their own. --------
      • -------- "Pure" is especially important because it overrides both the Damage Engine as well as WarCraft 3 damage modification. --------
      • -------- I therefore gave the user "Explosive Pure" in case one wants to combine the functionality of the two. --------
      • -------- - --------
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypePureExplosive = -2
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeExplosive = -1
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeCode = 1
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypePure = 2
      • -------- - --------
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeHeal = 3
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeBlocked = 4
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeReduced = 5
      • -------- - --------
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeCriticalStrike = 6
      • -------- - --------
      • Custom script: call DamageEngine_DebugStr()

BribeFromTheHive/DamageEngine

Lua 1.0.2.3 - Fixed to match adjustment made in vJass version 5.4.2.3.
Lua 1.0.2.2 - Fixed to match adjustment made in vJass version 5.4.2.2.
Lua 1.0.2.1 - Fixed to match adjustment made in vJass version 5.4.2.1.
Lua 1.0.2.0 - Added support for Lua Fast Triggers ([Lua] Ridiculously Fast Triggers). Fixed an issue where the AfterDamageEvent wasn't always timed the correct way like it was in the JASS verion.
Lua 1.0.1.0 - Fixed encapsulation issue and recursion issue with DamageEngine_inception. Now hooks UnitDamageTarget.
Lua 1.0.0.0 - Release based on Damage Engine 5.4.2.0

5.9.0.0 - Added the following clearer event names to make things less confusing for new users:
  • PreDamageEvent - can be used in place of DamageModifierEvent pre-armor modification
  • ArmorDamageEvent - can be used in place of DamageModifierEvent post-armor modification
  • OnDamageEvent - can be used instead of a non-zero DamageEvent
  • ZeroDamageEvent - can be used instead of a zero damage DamageEvent
  • SourceDamageEvent - runs at the same time as AOEDamageEvent, but doesn't need to hit multiple units.
Added "DamageFilterRunChance" - odds for the trigger to BE run (works inversely to DamageFilterFailChance).
Shortened the Configuration trigger so that it focuses primarily on what the user can modify.
Organized all variables into categories to help users better understand what does what.
Installation or updating from a previous version will require re-copying the entire Damage Engine folder.
Updated the demo map's text tag production to include a new custom update for ArcingTextTag, thanks to @Ugabunda and @Kusanagi Kuro.
Side note - the Demo Map's triggers have been heavily cleaned up and will now no longer cause crashes when being imported into a new map.
5.8.0.0 -
  • Added a new functionality to the AOEDamageEvent, which allows it to fire even when only one unit is hit, if the AOEDamageEvent is registered as "Not Equal" instead of "Equal to". This is useful in a very specific scenario where an AfterDamageEvent may not be able to be relied upon to properly deallocate data from a running instance that needs to be able to function when multiple units are hit, but also needs to not fail when only one unit is hit.
  • Added additional filters for GUI users to avoid using trigger conditions in even more scenarios:
    • DamageFilterSource/TargetI (has item)
    • DamageFilterSource/TargetA (has ability)
    • DamageFilterSource/TargetC (has a certain classification, like hero or Tauren)
    • DamageFilterFailChance - odds for the trigger to not be run (ideal for critical strike or evasion)
  • Provided a way for GUI to un-register a Damage Event by setting "RemoveDamageEvent" to true from within their trigger's actions.
  • Moved the CreateTimer/CreateTrigger/CreateGroup calls that had been included in the globals block down to the onInit block as per request of @Ricola3D
  • Minor performance improvements thanks to @BLOKKADE
5.7.1.2 - Fixed an issue with armor penetration sometimes bugging out.
5.7.1.1 - Fixed an issue with the eventFilter not retaining its value during an AOE event. Fixed an issue with eventFilter when USE_MELEE_RANGE was set to false. Both issues reported by @lolreported
5.7.1.0 -
I have fixed several potential points of failure reported by multiple users that stopped Damage Engine from working for the rest of the game. In any case there should no longer be ANY SITUATION where Damage Engine just "stops working", even in ways I can't predict. The most likely issue was with DamageScalingWC3/User having possible 0-division errors.​
Fixed the "configured" issue reported by @lolreported where manual configuration didn't work unless the damage and attack type checks were initialized tto -1.​
In addition to these fixed bugs, I have added several more static ifs so that advanced users have more control over getting rid of features they might not care about.​

5.7.0.3 - Fixed the issue reported by @KitsuneTailsPrower wherein the DamageInterface extension wasn't working. This needed to be fixed both in the Damage Engine source as well as the DamageInterface plugin itself.
5.7.0.2 - Fixed the issue reported by @Wazzz where the armor reduction wasn't taken into consideration. Actually there was a much bigger flaw that I had overlooked that was prompting this.
5.7.0.1 - Improved the logic of the 0 damage event.
5.7.0.0:

• Usage of the "DamageEvent becomes EQUAL to 1.00" now can be extrapolated further than ever before:
    • EQUAL works as it always has.
    • NOT EQUAL only runs for code damage.
    • LESS THAN only runs for damage from attacks.
    • LESS THAN OR EQUAL only runs for melee attacks.
    • GREATER THAN OR EQUAL only runs for ranged attacks.
    • GREATER THAN only runs for Spell damage.
  • Fully adapted Damage Engine to work with every other major DDS
  • Rewrote the internal script to use vJass structs: Damage and DamageTrigger.
  • Changed some of the vJass API. You can find the API listed in the Damage Engine trigger. Notably:
    • I removed UnitDamageTargetEx. You can replace this with Damage.apply.
      • The reason for this change is because of cross-compatibility. Rising Dusk's IDDS uses a different set of parameters for this function, so I removed it from my library to allow this to work seamlessly.
    • TriggerRegisterDamageEvent -> TriggerRegisterDamageEngine
    • RegisterDamageEvent -> RegisterDamageEngine
      • The reason for the above two changes is, like for UnitDamageTargetEx, because Rising Dusk's IDDS uses them. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with Table's API and preferred to walk back my API choices before things got out of hand again.
  • Various performance tweaks, bug fixes and re-commenting of variables.
  • Recursive damage is now processed more intelligently and possibly be more performance-friendly.
  • Adapted the cross-compatibility libraries for Weep and LFH's systems to use textmacros to insert themselves into Damage Engine (this might have been in the 5.6 update, but these two updates were both tailored to achieve similar goals).
5.6.2.0 - Fixed a bug with Damage modification and laid groundwork for a bunch of optional vJass compatibility addons.
5.6.1.0 - Patchwork on Melee/Ranged detection, recursion tracking. Also added the ability to modify damage from a DamageEvent to make it easier on beginners.
5.6.0.1 - Fixed an issue where the DamageEventType for recursive damage that used NextDamageType would always default to DamageTypeCode.
Rewrote a significant amount of the internal code so that struct and GUI syntax both work - and are synchronized with each other. vJass-exclusive users can disable the GUI synchronization if they don't use any GUI damage events in their maps.​
Four new variables must be added to your variable editor:​
  • boolean NextDamageIsAttack
  • boolean NextDamageIsMelee
  • boolean NextDamageIsRanged
  • integer NextDamageWeaponT
Struct syntax should not need too much introduction - Damage.index is the triggering event ID, and the syntax is Damage.index.amount/source/target/etc. To initialize a JASS damage event, use:​
JASS:
function RegisterDamageEvent takes code c, string eventName, real value returns nothing
The string is simplified: "Modifier", "" (for simple DamageEvent), "After", "Lethal", "AOE"​
Finally, a neat QOL improvement is that I have assigned weight to each of the events. When registering an event, you can include numbers different than 1, 2, 3 or 4 (for modification) or just the plain "1" for the others. Now you can set your own sequencing and use 1.5, 3.14 or even -1 to give an even more extreme priority to something. Lower numbers run first, higher ones last.​
5.5.0.0 - Added support for the new native BlzGetEventIsAttack via "IsDamageAttack". Also updated the Config trigger to make importing a bit easier
5.4.2.3 - Fixed a mis-flag of the IsDamageSpell value when not being actual spell damage.
5.4.2.2 - Actually fixed the Cold Arrows issue (division by 0.00001 or something ...somehow... either way, it is fixed).
5.4.2.1 - A fix which should hopefully quell the recent reports of damage events failing in complex situations involving Cold Arrows.
5.4.2.0 - A ton of fixes to repair the issues plaguing Sunken City and anyone else who might be pushing this engine well beyond what I imagined it would be used for. Also added a couple of variables intended to be used to ricochet damage: CONVERTED_ATTACK_TYPE and CONVERTED_DAMAGE_TYPE. Check the demo map for how they can be used in a Unit - Damage Target action.
5.4.1.0 - The "Inception" update. Advanced users can interact with Damage Engine via custom script to set DamageEvent_inception = true to allow their damage to potentially go recursive (to a fixed extent).
5.4.0.1 - Hotfixed that modifiers 2 and 3 weren't running.
5.4.0.0 - By using an innovative approach of hooking TriggerRegisterVariableEvent, I've permanently eliminated all risks of recursion in the engine.
5.3.0.1 - Fixed unexpected behavior with DamageTypePure when it is affected by Anti-Magic Shell or Mana Shield. DamageTypePure now no longer ignores DamageScalingWC3.
5.3.0.0 - Fixed an issue with AfterDamageEvent sometimes being delayed. Added DamageScalingUser to track the ratio of user modified damage, as well as DamageEventArmorPierced which allows the user to define how much armor to ignore when working with DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL.
5.2.0.1 - Fixed an issue where with the final unit in a Spirit Link chain or the retaliating damage of Thorns/Carapace would not deploy an AfterDamageEvent. Also fixed an issue where AfterDamageEvent would still fire from DAMAGE_TYPE_UNKNOWN if it was greater than 0. Simply copy over the JASS from this post in order to update your own implementation.

• Now features DamageEventArmorT and DamageEventDefenseT, which pull from the target unit's Object Editor data in order to allow you more complete access to detect and even MODIFY those defenses. Changes must be made in a DamageModifierEvent, and they are reverted as soon as armor is calculated.
  • Re-introduced AfterDamageEvent, which is the moment after the unit's life is changed, but before any recursive damage has run.

5.1.3.1 - Bug fixes and performance improvements. No, really. Fixed an issue with the DAMAGED event running even though it was turned off (who would've guessed that?)
5.1.3.0 - Engine re-tooling to improve accuracy and get Spirit Link/Defensive damage out of hardcoded mode - it will now work even in circumstances I haven't tested for (in case those weren't the only issues). Also fixed the Is Unit Moving resource.
5.1.2.1 - Fixed an issue with Spiked Carapace and Thorns Aura where the melee attacker would not get recorded correctly. This required the same fix as I needed to apply for the initial target in a spirit link chain.
5.1.2.0 - Tweaked recursion and fixed a few bugs. Re-introduced the zero damage event now that patch 1.31.1 brought it back.
5.1.1.1 - Minor tweak to Spirit Link in rare situation.
5.1.1.0 - Fixed issues related to Spirit Link. Now works intuitively as expected.
5.1.0.0 - Crazy improvements - check out the details in "How to upgrade from Damage Engine 4.0 or earlier" and "How to use Damage Engine 5.1"
5.0.0.0 - Oh man. Where do I even start?
  • You can now set/compare DamageEventDamageT, DamageEventAttackT or DamageEventWeaponT
  • No longer needs Unit Indexer nor any custom Object Editor data nor modifications.
  • Requires WarCraft 3 1.31 or higher.
  • Changed vanilla JASS code to vJass to clean up a lot of things such as making certain variables private.
  • Look for more details in "How to upgrade from Damage Engine 4.0 or earlier"

4.0.0.0 - Never officially released, but was the first iteration which used SetEventDamage.
For 3.8.0.0 and prior, see: Damage Engine 3.8.0.0 | HIVE

Cross-Compatibility:

BribeFromTheHive/DamageEngine

Keywords:unit indexer, damage detection, damage event, weep, nestharus, looking_for_help, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGED, damage engine, spell, physical, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGED, attacktype, damagetype, weapontype, armortype, defensetype, BlzSetEventDamage
Previews
Contents

Damage Engine Demo Map (Map)

Lua Damage Engine 2.0.0.0 (Map)

Reviews
23:20, 11th Jan 2015, BPower Criticism: On the one hand Damage Engine offers extremely high utility to every spell, system and map maker independent of the coding style ( GUI, JASS, vJass, .... ) on the other hand it's very easy to import and...
Level 3
ty so much Bribe, this is what i am using now, just thought maybe you invented something even simplier.
Amazing link, ty

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hey Bribe, I have 3 probably really simple questions that might have been asked hundreds of times already lol.
Is it recommended to filter with the damage engine filters rather than conditions in the function, or is there virtually no difference at all?
e.g. using
JASS:
private function damageCheck takes nothing returns boolean
    // do stuff
    return false
endfunction

private function init takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterDamageEngine(t, "Pre", 1.00)
    set DamageTrigger.lastRegistered.sourceClass = udg_UNIT_CLASS_HERO
    set DamageTrigger.lastRegistered.targetClass = udg_UNIT_CLASS_HERO
    set DamageTrigger.lastRegistered.configured = true
    call TriggerAddCondition(t, Condition(function damageCheck))
endfunction
as opposed to

JASS:
    if IsUnitType(Damage.target) == UNIT_TYPE_HERO and IsUnitType(Damage.source) == UNIT_TYPE_HERO then
        // do stuff
    endif
    return false
endfunction

private function init takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger()
    call TriggerRegisterDamageEngine(t, "Pre", 1.00)
    call TriggerAddCondition(t, Condition(function damageCheck))
endfunction

Same with multiple triggers vs one large trigger, is there a recommendation or does it not matter in the slightest? I plan on having multiple triggers either way, but I also plan to stack them in groups. So for example:

JASS:
    if IsUnitType(Damage.target) == UNIT_TYPE_HERO and IsUnitType(Damage.source) == UNIT_TYPE_HERO then
        if GetUnitAbilityLevel(Damage.source, BUFF_A) > 0 then
            // do stuff
        endif
        if GetUnitAbilityLevel(Damage.source, BUFF_B) > 0 then
            // do different stuff
        endif
        // probably a lot more of those
    endif
    return false
endfunction

vs. a separate trigger for each check. Lastly, Damage.source/Damage.target/Damage.amount has returned the correct stuff so far for my basic triggers (ex. damage increase/reduce). Is it recommended to swap to Damage.index.source and etc, or I guess what is the usefulness of those indexed variables? Sorry for the basic question + for the long code blocks, I'm new to this so I didn't want to get misinterpreted.
Sorry, I totally missed this post of yours but happened across it by a lucky mistake on the Hive notification bar. Your approach looks good. The "filter" stuff is really just there to say "should we evaluation/execute that trigger or not"? JASS programming does not not offer a "one size fits all" solution to the problem, unfortunately.

The most efficient approach in JASS would be to literally modify the Damage Engine source code. I have added some textmacros into the Damage Engine file that allow some level of direct, efficient access, but it's uncharted territory in terms of usefulness.

Lua, on the other hand, absolutely destroys JASS in terms of capability. Lua does, very much, offer a "silver bullet" solution to the problem via "Fast Triggers", which makes GUI actions in Lua even faster than scripted evaluations in JASS.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Is there a way to separate multishot damage from main attack damage
From memory, barrage treats each attack as being exactly the same. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I am mostly sure that there isn't a built-in method. Perhaps one of the units will get an extra damage stack applied to it, thereby increasing DamageEventLevel. If none of the others do, then that's your "primary target".

Level 3
Maybe stupid question.
Is healing equal to "negative damage" in warcraft engine?

Or any healing from basic abilities is "set hp of unit to current hp + heal amount"?

I mean, can we detect healing with damage engine?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Maybe stupid question.
Is healing equal to "negative damage" in warcraft engine?

Or any healing from basic abilities is "set hp of unit to current hp + heal amount"?

I mean, can we detect healing with damage engine?
Short answer, no. I ran some tests the other day when I was working on porting Heal Event, and they were shockingly abysmal. Only Healing Wave and Healing Spray are capable of triggering a damage event when they are set to a negative value.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hello, Can anyone tell me what is the difference between "DamageEventModifier = 1, 2, 3, 4" and the decimal numbers between them? Thanks
On versions of Damage Engine from 5.0 onwards, DamageModifierEvent 4 or greater is an ArmorDamageEvent, anything less than 4 is treated as a PreDamageEvent.

However, if you are on Damage Engine 9, I have simplified this so that you can use PreDamageEvent = (any number) to modify damage before armor is impacted. ArmorDamageEvent allows you to modify damage after damage is impacted.

Level 1
On versions of Damage Engine from 5.0 onwards, DamageModifierEvent 4 or greater is an ArmorDamageEvent, anything less than 4 is treated as a PreDamageEvent.

However, if you are on Damage Engine 9, I have simplified this so that you can use PreDamageEvent = (any number) to modify damage before armor is impacted. ArmorDamageEvent allows you to modify damage after damage is impacted.
Im currently using Damage Engine v5.4.2.3 for 1.31. I want to modify the DamageEventAmount in specific order for example:

DamageEventModifier = 1 ==> + Flat bonus damages take effect
DamageEventModifier = 1.5 ==> x Multiplications take effect
DamageEventModifier = 2 ==> - A custom Armor/Shield subtract the damage by a flat number
DamageEventModifier = 2.5 ==> / Secondary Armor/Shield divide the damage by some number
DamageEventModifier = x.xx - 3.99 for further modifies

When I tested this inside the Damage Engine Demo map it worked perfectly, but as soon as I changed the triggers' position(Moving them above or below each other) , the modify order changed as well.
My Question is: Are there any ways to modify the damage in some specific order? I apologize for my bad english.

Im currently using Damage Engine v5.4.2.3 for 1.31. I want to modify the DamageEventAmount in specific order for example:

DamageEventModifier = 1 ==> + Flat bonus damages take effect
DamageEventModifier = 1.5 ==> x Multiplications take effect
DamageEventModifier = 2 ==> - A custom Armor/Shield subtract the damage by a flat number
DamageEventModifier = 2.5 ==> / Secondary Armor/Shield divide the damage by some number
DamageEventModifier = x.xx - 3.99 for further modifies

When I tested this inside the Damage Engine Demo map it worked perfectly, but as soon as I changed the triggers' position(Moving them above or below each other) , the modify order changed as well.
My Question is: Are there any ways to modify the damage in some specific order? I apologize for my bad english.
You need a newer version of Damage Engine to handle other event-values than exactly 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0. Any event-value was added in 5.6.0.0.

I upgraded recently from 5.4.2.3 to 5.7.1.2, running on 1.31, no problems. I'd guess newer works well too. It was an easy upgrade process imo.

This may seem like an odd question but would you be able to change the attack type of damage to ATTACK_TYPE_PIERCE but modify damage so the amount is as if it was its original attack type? The reason I ask is because the footman's defend ability has some special properties that only work with piercing attacks. I know you can change the attack type but can you preserve the original calculation? This would only apply to attack damage so it would always be affected by armor.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
This may seem like an odd question but would you be able to change the attack type of damage to ATTACK_TYPE_PIERCE but modify damage so the amount is as if it was its original attack type? The reason I ask is because the footman's defend ability has some special properties that only work with piercing attacks. I know you can change the attack type but can you preserve the original calculation? This would only apply to attack damage so it would always be affected by armor.
It would depend on whether PreDamageEvent has already kicked in by that point, so either use PreDamageEvent (if you are on version 5.9) or use DamageModifierEvent with a real value less than 4 (if you are on an earlier version of Damage Engine 5).

It would depend on whether PreDamageEvent has already kicked in by that point, so either use PreDamageEvent (if you are on version 5.9) or use DamageModifierEvent with a real value less than 4 (if you are on an earlier version of Damage Engine 5).
Thanks. Does anyone know what math operation I should use on DamageEventAmount to re-calculate? This thread has some information but doesn't have a step by step formula WC3's Damage System Lets say as an example using the base game damage multipliers that you're attacking a unit with fortified armor which has a 0.35 multiplier for ATTACK_TYPE_PIERCE and a 0.5 multiplier for ATTACK_TYPE_HERO. It sounds like I should use PreDamageEvent but what would I enter for the formula?

edit: It turns out that this informtion won't help me now because I only thought I had a working system due to a mistake with not resetting attack types.

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Thanks. Does anyone know what math operation I should use on DamageEventAmount to re-calculate? This thread has some information but doesn't have a step by step formula WC3's Damage System Lets say as an example using the base game damage multipliers that you're attacking a unit with fortified armor which has a 0.35 multiplier for ATTACK_TYPE_PIERCE and a 0.5 multiplier for ATTACK_TYPE_HERO. It sounds like I should use PreDamageEvent but what would I enter for the formula?

edit: It turns out that this informtion won't help me now because I only thought I had a working system due to a mistake with not resetting attack types.
Using one of the events I showed you already does get you the pre-calculated amount (before armor reduction). You can't do it in Damage Engine 3, but it works in Damage Engine 5.

Let's say you have a PreDamageEvent, and you want unit X to deal 100 damage to unit Y.
Unit X deals piercing damage, but you don't want it reduced to 35 damage, so you set the attack type to Chaos (or whatever) instead of piercing.
Unit Y receives the damage, but is now still at 100 (minus armor or whatever).

Level 3
Hello sir, i have a question.
When i am using acid bomb or parasite i am getting floating text "blocked".
I can't understand why i see it, all damage fields are NOT empty for my skill
1653201125710.png

Level 3
Alrighty then, I’ll look into it and find out what happened to the demo code. I changed those conditions around in that update, so I probably overlooked something.
ty sir, i will wait for it, want to use these spells and make whole map clean and good looking

Last edited:
Level 4
I had the same issue with it showing 0 damage events, but I just added in 2 conditions to fix it as I do not edit the DamageScaling variables myself and I really only use the Mana Shield ability that absorbs or blocks damage. Hope this helps.

• If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
    • If - Conditions
      • DamageEventAmount Less than 0.01
      • DamageEventAmount Greater than -0.01
    • Then - Actions
      • Set VariableSet DmgSize = 0.69
        • If - Conditions
          • DamageScalingWC3 Equal to 0.00
          • (DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingUser) Greater than or equal to 1.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet DmgStr = (|cffc8c87dAbsorbed + ((String((Integer((DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingUser))))) + |r))
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingWC3) Greater than or equal to 1.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set VariableSet DmgStr = (|cffc8c87dAbsorbed + ((String((Integer((DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingWC3))))) + |r))
            • Else - Actions

Level 3
I had the same issue with it showing 0 damage events, but I just added in 2 conditions to fix it as I do not edit the DamageScaling variables myself and I really only use the Mana Shield ability that absorbs or blocks damage. Hope this helps.

• If - Conditions
    • Then - Actions
      • Set VariableSet DmgSize = 0.69
        • If - Conditions
          • DamageScalingWC3 Equal to 0.00
          • (DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingUser) Greater than or equal to 1.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet DmgStr = (|cffc8c87dAbsorbed + ((String((Integer((DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingUser))))) + |r))
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingWC3) Greater than or equal to 1.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set VariableSet DmgStr = (|cffc8c87dAbsorbed + ((String((Integer((DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingWC3))))) + |r))
            • Else - Actions
hello sir, where is it exactly?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Near the top of the "Damage Tag" trigger actions in the first condition block you can add the below condition to check that the previous amount wasn't already zero. This fixes the issue.

• If - Conditions
      • DamageEventPrevAmt Not equal to 0.00
    • Then - Actions

Level 4
Bribe's fix is definitely better especially for those who adjust the DamageScaling variables, but you want to put those conditions I suggested in the area for the blocked damage, not the Dodged area.

Last edited:
Level 3
Near the top of the "Damage Tag" trigger actions in the first condition block you can add the below condition to check that the previous amount wasn't already zero. This fixes the issue.

• If - Conditions
      • DamageEventPrevAmt Not equal to 0.00
    • Then - Actions
It worked!
Ty so much guys, love you.
Btw do you have Discord group for damage engine? I am worried someday no one will answer me in this forum

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Question, how it should be using this in Lua code? I don't think is just translating GUI to Lua.
No, the Lua code is a lot different. I mean, you could do GUI syntax 1:1. Real, actual attack indexing has been achieved shows how to use some aspects of it, but while I was designing it I realized that the Lua event could use some improvement. I'll look into it over the next days and release a better API/documentation on it.

Level 12
Big announcement for GUI - patch 1.33 PTR includes "Any unit takes damage" and "Any unit is about to take damage" as "generic unit" events. This marks the end of an era of GUI's dependency on a DDS.
Does this mean we won’t need Damage Engine anymore? If so, are there still some usecases where using it is better/more convenient?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
The only benefits to using Damage Engine in vJass at this point:
Fewer handles created due to TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ creating a bunch of events for every GUI trigger
Backreferencing to the correct values in the case of spirit link/thorns aura
Data attachment via user-defined damage types
Slightly-increased performance by referencing global variables rather than getter-functions

None of these affects someone who just asks in the World Editor Help Zone "how do I detect damage"? In fact, those folks are often intimidated by the size and complexity of Damage Engine and end up incorrectly going over a unit-is-attacked event.

The benefits to Damage Engine in Lua are, all of the above, but plus having access to Attack Engine which allows data attachment between the unit-is-attacked event and the damaging events, but additionally provides the event "unit's attack is launched". Ultimately, data attachment is the key reason to use either.

Level 21
I wonder if it's possible to make an attack deal only 50% of its damage as pure damage?
+ the 50% regular physical

I wonder if it's possible to make an attack deal only 50% of its damage as pure damage?
+ the 50% regular physical
It's fairly simple. First detect the instance where you want to do this, then modify the damage to deal 50% of its current value (I'd guess a pre-armor-event should be used), then deal new damage (same amount as the modified value) with DamageType universal and probably set NextDamageType = DamageTypePure before dealing the damage.

Level 21
Thanks for the answers!
I am aware that it's easy to do when using coded damage.
Sadly, this is not what i require - since i want on damage effects to be calculated on their full damage value (such as leech).
I guess i can achieve a decent outcome with some workarounds.
edit:
Yes it works in a rather ugly way, using "next damage is attack" to account for crit/dodge/block/leech.
  • Call Forth Holy Might Dmg
    • Events
      • Game - PreDamageEvent becomes Less than 1.11
    • Conditions
      • (Level of Paladin of Ret (CFHM) for DamageEventSource) Greater than or equal to 1
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet DamageEventDamageT = DamageTypePure
      • Set VariableSet temp_real = (DamageEventAmount x 0.50)
      • Set VariableSet DamageEventAmount = (DamageEventAmount x 0.50)
      • Set VariableSet NextDamageIsAttack = True
      • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing temp_real damage of attack type Normal and damage type Normal

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I'm not sure, but NextDamageIsAttack causes my trigger with FILTER_ATTACK to not trigger.
When I look within the engine, I see that the "isCode"-variable is set if NextDamageIsAttack = true, witch is wierd imo.

I solved it by removing all NextDamage..., becuase the triggered damage was hero/normal so it looked like attack anyways...
Anything that is triggered in Lua is considered as Code damage. Damage that is detected in vJass Damage Engine with a "Next..." variable preceding it is considered as code damage. The filters embedded into the events specify code damage as a wholly-seperate thing from attack damage.

If you want to not rule out code damage but want to check for Attack, you would use the regular comparison (Equal to) instead of one of the special comparisons, and then in your conditions check for IsDamageAttack.

On another note, there have been multiple reports that Lua Damage Engine is malfunctioning when updates are applied to its dependencies. I'll look into the cause of that, but I'm re-thinking whether to include DamageFilter variables or not (I'm leaning towards "not") and just leave it as conditions.

Finally, I'd like to show a preview of the next big thing I have planned for Lua Damage Engine:

• New Trig Potential
    • Events
      • Game - PreDamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
      • Game - OnDamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
      • Game - AfterDamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- This part of the code only runs for PreDamageEvent --------
      • Set WaitForDamage = true
      • -------- This next part of the code only runs for OnDamageEvent --------
      • Set WaitForDamage = true
      • -------- This next part of the code only runs for AfterDamageEvent --------
This will work via Lua coroutine yield/resume behavior and WaitForDamage is what yields the coroutine (thanks to Global Variable Remapper). Damage Engine will then resume the yielded coroutine instead of run the trigger from the top again once it gets to the OnDamageEvent and again for the AfterDamageEvent handlers.

The conditions will be ignored for any subsequent events, apart from the trigger priority that is given.

I'll then use this same technique to port Spell System to Lua, and combine it with Precise Wait instead of using a separate "loop" trigger.

EDIT 02/09/2022 - the above hypothetical example API (which didn't end up being utilized) is reflected in the below proposal that will make its way into Attack Engine:

• Attack Sequence
    • Events
      • Game - AttackEventStart becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - AttackEventFinish becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - PreDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- This part of the code only runs for AttackEventStart --------
      • Set WaitForEvent = AttackEventFinish
      • -------- This next part of the code only runs for AttackEventFinish --------
      • Set WaitForEvent = PreDamageEvent
      • -------- This next part of the code only runs for PreDamageEvent --------

Last edited:
Level 7
Trying to update to the newest version after having used a pretty old one for a long time and my god it has a lot of variables now, anything I can safely delete if I just need the basic functionality? And am I correct in understanding that the ClearDamageEvent trigger is no longer used? Should I just delete it from the triggers that I've used it in?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Trying to update to the newest version after having used a pretty old one for a long time and my god it has a lot of variables now, anything I can safely delete if I just need the basic functionality? And am I correct in understanding that the ClearDamageEvent trigger is no longer used? Should I just delete it from the triggers that I've used it in?
Yeah, you won't need that one. The debug string variables and all the CAPITAL_LETTER variables are really only needed IF you want to use them. Otherwise, I am quite confident that they aren't needed for the system to run. You may have to comment-out the custom script inside of the JASS in order to prevent syntax errors. This doesn't occur with Lua Damage Engine because of the way that the GUI variables are completely optional.