• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Damage Engine 5.A.0.0

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
Damage Engine

Three GUI Damage systems for the community of The Hive,
Seven vJass Damage systems for the JASS-heads on their pedestals high,
Nine competing Damage systems, doomed to die,
One for Bribe on his dark throne
In the Land of the Hive where the Workshop lies.
One Damage Engine to rule them all, One Damage Engine to find them,
One Damage Engine to bring them all and in cross-compatibility unite them.

Whether you're looking for a simple DDS (Damage Detection System), need to modify damage or even if you want a complex network of damage pre-and post-processing, this resource is for you. Damage Engine is the most adapted DDS in existence to take full advantage of the new damage detection natives, and is constantly evaluated and scrutinized by both the community and myself for performance improvements, bug fixes and new features alike.

What started with humble beginnings to bring a Unit Indexer-based version of DDS to GUI users to improve on the previous standard (at the time it was Weep's GDDS) would eventually evolve to incorporate other aspects of damage systems out there. @looking_for_help had identified an extremely useful technique with negative spell resistance being used to detect spell damage, and for a time his Physical Damage Detection system became the new standard. It wouldn't be until much later when Damage Engine would resurface and use the same technique in order to be more useful for the community.

Fast forward to 2020, and you'll find not only that cross-compatibility with Weep's and LFH's systems are incorporated, but the most popular DDS systems in existence - even vJass ones - are fully supported via stripped-down API wrappers. All of the functionality of prior DDS systems has been infused into Damage Engine 5.7, and as such the transition to a "one size fits all" DDS is complete. I hope you find this to be useful, and I also hope that it will help you in developing your map to be more dynamic what than you had previously thought possible.

Features

Legacy Code & Requirements

How it works

How to install/upgrade

Video Guides

FAQs

Thanks

• Damage Type, Attack Type, Weapon Type, Armor Type and Defense Type detection and modification to alter/understand the fundamentals of WarCraft 3's damage processing;
  • Access to the view and change the damage amount before and/or after reduction by armor, armor type and shields.
  • Fully cross-compatible with every major DDS - vJass and GUI alike.
  • Correctly distribute/negate Spirit Link damage.
  • Differentiate between Ranged, Melee, Spell or other types of attack.
  • Does not require any Object Editor data nor Unit Indexer.
  • As of 5.4, it is now completely recursion-proof.
  • Other features:
    • Damage Blocking, reducing, amplifying and/or conversion to healing
    • Does not require you to know nor use Jass NewGen Pack nor any custom script
    • Custom DamageType association available to be set before and/or during damage event
    • Detect when multiple targets were hit simultaneously via DamageEventAOE > 1.
    • Detect when the same unit was hit simultaneously by the same source via DamageEventLevel > 1.
  • Detect damage: use the event "OnDamageEventEqual to <any value>". You have access to the following variables for reference:
    • DamageEventSource - the unit dealing the damage
    • DamageEventTarget - the unit receiving the damage
    • DamageEventAmount - the amount of damage the unit will receive
    • DamageEventPrevAmt - the amount of damage prior to being modified by the game engine.
    • DamageEventAttackT - the attack type (Chaos, Spells, Pierce, etc.)
    • DamageEventDamageT - the damage type - for comprehensive info, click here.
    • DamageEventWeaponT - the weapon type determines if an attack plays some kind of sound on attack (ie. Metal Heavy Bash). It is always NONE for spells and almost always NONE for ranged attacks.
    • DamageEventArmorT - the armor type (Flesh, Stone, Ethereal, etc.)
    • DamageEventDefenseT - the defense type (Hero, Fortified, Unarmored, etc.)
    • DamageEventArmorPierced - if DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL, how much armor was set to be ignored by the user.
    • IsDamageSpell, IsDamageRanged, IsDamageMelee - determine the source category of damage dealt.
    • IsDamageCode - Determine if the damage was dealt natively or by the user. This can give incorrect readings if the user has not identified to Damage Engine that it is code damage. Therefore I recommend setting NextDamageType prior to dealing damage.
    • DamageEventType - An integer identifier that can be referenced by you for whatever extra differentiation you need. You can also create your own special damage types and add them to the definitions in the Damage Event Config trigger. If you the unit should explode on death by that damage, use a damage type integer less than 0. If you want the damage to ignore all modifications, use DamageTypePure.
  • To change damage before it's processed by the WarCraft 3 engine: use the event "PreDamageEvent Becomes Equal to <any value>". Whether you just want to use one monolithic trigger for all damage modification like I do in the demo map, or use the different modifier events here, is up to you.
  • To interact with damage after it's been factored for armor and resistances, use "ArmorDamageEvent Becomes Equal to <any value>". This is typically useful for custom shields. If you fully block or absorb DamageEventAmount (setting it to 0 or less), this event doesn't run.
  • To set the DamageEventType before dealing triggered Damage, use:
    - Set NextDamageType = DamageTypeWhatever
    - Unit - Cause...
  • You can modify the following variables from a "PreDamageEvent" trigger:
    • DamageEventAmount
    • DamageEventAttackT/DamageT/WeaponT/ArmorT/DefenseT
    • DamageEventArmorPierced
    • DamageEventType
    • DamageEventOverride - You can set this if you want to remind yourself not to modify the damage further. If you use the UNKOWN damage type from a Unit - Damage Target native or set "NextDamageType = DamageTypePure" before that function, damage modification is skipped.
  • To catch a unit the moment before it would die from damage, use LethalDamageEvent Becomes Equal to 1.00. Instead of modifying the DamageEventAmount here, modify LethalDamageHP to let the system know how much life to keep the unit alive with. Or you can just reference that LethalDamageHP value in order to know how much "overkill" damage was dealt.
  • To catch a unit as soon as the damage is applied against its Hit Points, use AfterDamageEvent Equal to 1.00.
  • Usage of the "<Event> becomes EQUAL to <value>" can be extrapolated as per the below:
    • EQUAL works as it always has - will run for any damage.
    • NOT EQUAL only runs for code damage.
    • LESS THAN only runs for damage from attacks but not coded attacks.
    • LESS THAN OR EQUAL only runs for melee attacks but not coded attacks.
    • GREATER THAN OR EQUAL only runs for ranged attacks but not coded attacks.
    • GREATER THAN only runs for Spell damage but not coded spell damage.

• Damage Engine 5 and higher requires the latest Warcraft 3 patch (currently 1.32).
  • For people who did not update their game to Reforged / have not updated to Reforged yet. Alternatively, adding the below JASS script to the top of the DamageEngine library SHOULD enable it to work too:

JASS:
    function BlzGetEventIsAttack takes nothing returns boolean
         return BlzGetEventDamageType() == DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL
    endfunction
  • I have created a Pastebin for all information pertaining to Damage Engine 3.8, including the link to download it, via: Damage Engine 3.8.0.0 | HIVE.
  • As of 20 June 2020, JNGP users who are still on WarCraft 3 1.26 can benefit from Damage Engine 3A, which integrates many of the design choices added in various stages of Damage Engine 5. This is a special update which only requires the JASS script be replaced (no new GUI variables added). Can be found here: Damage Engine 3A.0.0.0 and 3.8.0.0 | HIVE

Unit attacks or casts a spell. The pure damage is assessed at this point - damage dice, evasion, critical strike. There is currently no event to affect or modify these at source.
→ →
The projectile or weapon hits the target unit
→ →
EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGING is fired before any modifications to the damage are made.
→ ↓
↓ ←
User changes to DamageEventAmount and/or to DamageEventDamageT/AttackT/WeaponT are saved into the WC3 engine.
← ←
If any recursive damage is detected from any of those events, it is postponed and the current damage will continue first.
← ←
Damage Engine deploys the PreDamageEvent
WarCraft 3 processes the user damage.
→ →
WarCraft 3 then distributes the user damage into Spirit Link (before armor)
→ →
WarCraft 3 runs any interrupting events, such as spirit link or defensive damage like Thorns Aura
→ ↓
↓ ←
The EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED event runs. This is the original event we have always had access to. Damage Engine will either keep using the original variables from the DAMAGING event, or if there was Spirit Link/defensive damage it will freshly retrieve the event values from WC3 and only retain DamageEventPrevAmt.
← ←
Once any potential recursive WarCraft 3 damage is processed, the armor/mana shield modifications to the damage are performed.
← ←
If such events such as Spirit Link were detected, they fire their own EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGING & EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED, and DamageEngine processes it along the way for the user.
If the damage is above zero, ArmorDamageEvent will run. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
→ →
The user can make modification to the damage here with the after-damage amount.
→ →
The user can access DamageEventPrevAmount if they want to know the damage amount before user changes/WarCraft 3 changes.
→ ↓
↓ ←
The user can specify whether or not to change LethalDamageHP in order to stop the unit from dying.
← ←
If the damage is still above zero, check if the damage is lethal. If so, run LethalDamageEvent 1.00. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
← ←
If the user wants the value that DamageEngine used to have with DamageEventPrevAmt (after WarCraft 3 processing but before user changes) they multiply DamageEventPrevAmt x DamageScalingWC3.
Once all modification is done, run OnDamageEvent. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
→ →
After a new damage instance is detected, or the 0.00 timer expires, run AfterDamageEvent. If any recursive damage is detected, it is postponed.
→ →
Run all potential recursive Unit - Damage Target function calls in chronological order (first in, first out).

How to install Damage Engine:
  1. Use WarCraft 3 Version 1.32
  2. If you're upgrading from 3.8 or prior, please delete the entire "Damage Engine" category from your map.
  3. Copy & Paste the Damage Engine category from the attached map to your own map.
How do I upgrade to the latest Damage Engine?
- Depending on the complexity, you'll either need to re-copy the Damage Engine category or just the Damage Engine script. Generally, you can use this as a guide:

• Damage Engine _._._.x - only requires copying of the JASS script
  • Damage Engine _._.x._ - generally only needs copying of the JASS script, but read the patch notes in case there are changes you may want to make to your own code in order to utilize the changes.
  • Damage Engine _.x._._ - delete your current Damage Engine category or manually add the missing variables to your Variable Editor, and update your JASS script.
  • Damage Engine x._._._ - this occurs very infrequently. Typically requires changes to the way Damage Engine needs to be installed and used.

Notes about upgrading from Damage Engine 4.0 or prior:
  • Revert any custom Object Editor changes made (such as Life Drain reversal, Spell Damage Reduction inversion, etc).
  • You can safely delete the custom spells "Spell Damage Detection" and "Cheat Death Ability"
  • You can delete the Unit Indexer trigger if you do not use it or would prefer to use a different indexer.
  • You should delete any "Mana Shield fix" or "Finger of Death fix" you may have imported, as well as revert any Object Editor data that was required to make it work, as these are no longer needed.
  • !!!DEPRECATED FEATURE!!! As of 5.4, do not bother to take any recursive damage mitigation - Damage Engine will now handle all of that for you!
  • !!!DEPRECATED FEATURE!!! Do not use "ClearDamageEvent" - it does nothing. Just delete it.
  • !!!DEPRECATED FEATURE!!! Do not use "NextDamageOverride" - set NextDamageType = DamageTypePure instead.
  • !!!CHANGED FEATURE!!! If the system detects code damage and the user did not specify it as any particular DamageEvenType, the system will assign it DamageTypeCode automatically.
  • !!!CHANGED FEATURE!!! DamageModifierEvent 1.00-3.00 now run prior to armor reduction. This enables the user to modify the damage before armor and resistance changes are applied - also before Mana Shield and Anti-Magic shell kick in, so no more need for special triggers.

• Q: Why am I getting a bunch of 'trigger was disabled' errors when I save my map?
  • A: This issue is not unique to Damage Engine, but to all vJass resources. Blizzard has taken the very confusing decision to make JassHelper 'disabled' by default, meaning that every new map that uses a vJass resource has to manually enable JassHelper. Please see this thread if you want to know where to find the Enable JassHelper option.
  • Q: How can I detect when a unit gets damaged?
  • A: Create a trigger with the event: "Game - Value of Real Variable <DamageEvent> becomes Equal to 1.00".
    • Use the following custom variables to reference the event responses:
      • DamageEventSource - the unit dealing the damage
      • DamageEventTarget - the unit getting damaged
      • DamageEventAmount - how much damage is being dealt
      • DamageEventAttackT - which attack type was used by DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget
      • DamageEventDamageT - which damage type was used to damage the target (ie. UNIVERSAL for ultimate damage, or NORMAL for damage that gets reduced by armor).
      • DamageEventDefenseT - which defense type does the target unit have (ie. Hero, Fortified, Unarmored).
      • DamageEventArmorT - which armor type does the target unit have (ie. Flesh, Ethereal, Stone).
      • DamageEventPrevAmt - what the value of the damage was before being modified by armor, ethereal/item bonuses or user changes.
  • Q: How do I modify the damage that is dealt to a unit?
  • A: Create a trigger with the event: "Game - Value of Real Variable <PreDamageEvent> becomes Equal to <any value>".
    • You can change the following variables to affect the damage that will be dealt:
      • DamageEventAmount - how much damage will be dealt (before armor reductions)
      • DamageEventAttackT - which attack type will be used by DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget
      • DamageEventDamageT - which damage type will be used to damage the target.
      • DamageEventDefenseT - which defense type should the target unit have during this attack.
      • DamageEventArmorT - which armor type should the target unit have during this attack.
      • DamageEventArmorPierced - how much armor value to ignore when dealing this damage (applies to DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL only, otherwise all armor is ignored).

• Q: How do I deal Pure damage to a unit (bypassing armor/skipping user modification)?
  • A: Use the following actions:
    • Set NextDamageType = DamageTypePure
    • Unit - Cause Source to damage Target for Amount using attack type Spells and damage type Universal

• Q: How do I protect against recursive damage?
  • A: Damage Engine 5.4 and above is completely recursion-proof, using vJass hooks to detect registered Damage Event triggers.

• Q: I've been using <insert Damage system here>. Can I use those with Damage Engine?
  • A: Better - Damage Engine has integrated cross-compatibility with all other approved Damage systems and even the major ones from outside of Hiveworkhop.

• Q: Can I cause an attack to 'Miss' its target?
  • A: Kind of. Ranged attacks will still explode on the target, and on-hit effects will still apply, but you can do the following:
    • Use the event "PreDamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00"
    • Use the following actions:
      • Set DamageEventAmount = 0.00
      • Set DamageEventArmorT = ARMOR_TYPE_NONE
      • Set DamageEventWeaponT = WEAPON_TYPE_NONE
    • Setting the weapon type and armor type to none like the above will stop any on-hit sounds from playing. When the Peasant attacks in the demo map, this is the trick I'm using. Instead of saying "MISSED!" I have the Floating Text saying "FAIL!" because - again - it's not exactly a "miss".

Thank you to Blizzard for continuing to work on this amazing game to give us awesome new natives that have the best possible control over incoming damage. Damage Engine brings that power to GUI. Also, a very special thank you to @KILLCIDE for getting me motivated to start up the 5.0 project in the first place.

Thank you to the users of this system who have helped me mold this project into the stable, powerful form it is in today!

For versions 3.8 and prior:

Thank you @looking_for_help for finding the spell damage detection method used in Damage Engine 3 - it was the greatest find since the undefend bug.

Thanks to Jesus4Lyf and @Nestharus for building the inspiration that originally led me to create DamageEngine.

Thank you Wietlol and looking_for_help for challenging me on this project to integrate solutions to problems I had not been made aware of, such as the importance of an After-Damage Event.

Thanks to @Spellbound for several crucial bug reports.

Damage Engine Config

Damage Engine vJass

Damage Engine Lua

Changelog

• Damage Engine Config
    • Events
      • Map initialization
      • Game - DamageModifierEvent becomes Greater than 0.00
      • Game - LethalDamageEvent becomes Less than or equal to 0.00
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Not equal to 0.00
      • Game - AfterDamageEvent becomes Less than 0.00
      • Game - AOEDamageEvent becomes Greater than or equal to 0.00
      • Game - SourceDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - PreDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - ArmorDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
      • Game - ZeroDamageEvent becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- You can add extra classifications here if you want to differentiate between your triggered damage --------
      • -------- Use DamageTypeExplosive (or any negative value damage type) if you want a unit killed by that damage to explode --------
      • -------- - --------
      • -------- The pre-defined type Code might be set by Damage Engine if Unit - Damage Target is detected and the user didn't define a type of their own. --------
      • -------- "Pure" is especially important because it overrides both the Damage Engine as well as WarCraft 3 damage modification. --------
      • -------- I therefore gave the user "Explosive Pure" in case one wants to combine the functionality of the two. --------
      • -------- - --------
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypePureExplosive = -2
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeExplosive = -1
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeCode = 1
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypePure = 2
      • -------- - --------
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeHeal = 3
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeBlocked = 4
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeReduced = 5
      • -------- - --------
      • Set VariableSet DamageTypeCriticalStrike = 6
      • -------- - --------
      • Custom script: call DamageEngine_DebugStr()

BribeFromTheHive/DamageEngine

Lua 1.0.2.3 - Fixed to match adjustment made in vJass version 5.4.2.3.
Lua 1.0.2.2 - Fixed to match adjustment made in vJass version 5.4.2.2.
Lua 1.0.2.1 - Fixed to match adjustment made in vJass version 5.4.2.1.
Lua 1.0.2.0 - Added support for Lua Fast Triggers ([Lua] Ridiculously Fast Triggers). Fixed an issue where the AfterDamageEvent wasn't always timed the correct way like it was in the JASS verion.
Lua 1.0.1.0 - Fixed encapsulation issue and recursion issue with DamageEngine_inception. Now hooks UnitDamageTarget.
Lua 1.0.0.0 - Release based on Damage Engine 5.4.2.0

5.9.0.0 - Added the following clearer event names to make things less confusing for new users:
  • PreDamageEvent - can be used in place of DamageModifierEvent pre-armor modification
  • ArmorDamageEvent - can be used in place of DamageModifierEvent post-armor modification
  • OnDamageEvent - can be used instead of a non-zero DamageEvent
  • ZeroDamageEvent - can be used instead of a zero damage DamageEvent
  • SourceDamageEvent - runs at the same time as AOEDamageEvent, but doesn't need to hit multiple units.
Added "DamageFilterRunChance" - odds for the trigger to BE run (works inversely to DamageFilterFailChance).
Shortened the Configuration trigger so that it focuses primarily on what the user can modify.
Organized all variables into categories to help users better understand what does what.
Installation or updating from a previous version will require re-copying the entire Damage Engine folder.
Updated the demo map's text tag production to include a new custom update for ArcingTextTag, thanks to @Ugabunda and @Kusanagi Kuro.
Side note - the Demo Map's triggers have been heavily cleaned up and will now no longer cause crashes when being imported into a new map.
5.8.0.0 -
  • Added a new functionality to the AOEDamageEvent, which allows it to fire even when only one unit is hit, if the AOEDamageEvent is registered as "Not Equal" instead of "Equal to". This is useful in a very specific scenario where an AfterDamageEvent may not be able to be relied upon to properly deallocate data from a running instance that needs to be able to function when multiple units are hit, but also needs to not fail when only one unit is hit.
  • Added additional filters for GUI users to avoid using trigger conditions in even more scenarios:
    • DamageFilterSource/TargetI (has item)
    • DamageFilterSource/TargetA (has ability)
    • DamageFilterSource/TargetC (has a certain classification, like hero or Tauren)
    • DamageFilterFailChance - odds for the trigger to not be run (ideal for critical strike or evasion)
  • Provided a way for GUI to un-register a Damage Event by setting "RemoveDamageEvent" to true from within their trigger's actions.
  • Moved the CreateTimer/CreateTrigger/CreateGroup calls that had been included in the globals block down to the onInit block as per request of @Ricola3D
  • Minor performance improvements thanks to @BLOKKADE
5.7.1.2 - Fixed an issue with armor penetration sometimes bugging out.
5.7.1.1 - Fixed an issue with the eventFilter not retaining its value during an AOE event. Fixed an issue with eventFilter when USE_MELEE_RANGE was set to false. Both issues reported by @lolreported
5.7.1.0 -
I have fixed several potential points of failure reported by multiple users that stopped Damage Engine from working for the rest of the game. In any case there should no longer be ANY SITUATION where Damage Engine just "stops working", even in ways I can't predict. The most likely issue was with DamageScalingWC3/User having possible 0-division errors.​
Fixed the "configured" issue reported by @lolreported where manual configuration didn't work unless the damage and attack type checks were initialized tto -1.​
In addition to these fixed bugs, I have added several more static ifs so that advanced users have more control over getting rid of features they might not care about.​

5.7.0.3 - Fixed the issue reported by @KitsuneTailsPrower wherein the DamageInterface extension wasn't working. This needed to be fixed both in the Damage Engine source as well as the DamageInterface plugin itself.
5.7.0.2 - Fixed the issue reported by @Wazzz where the armor reduction wasn't taken into consideration. Actually there was a much bigger flaw that I had overlooked that was prompting this.
5.7.0.1 - Improved the logic of the 0 damage event.
5.7.0.0:

• Usage of the "DamageEvent becomes EQUAL to 1.00" now can be extrapolated further than ever before:
    • EQUAL works as it always has.
    • NOT EQUAL only runs for code damage.
    • LESS THAN only runs for damage from attacks.
    • LESS THAN OR EQUAL only runs for melee attacks.
    • GREATER THAN OR EQUAL only runs for ranged attacks.
    • GREATER THAN only runs for Spell damage.
  • Fully adapted Damage Engine to work with every other major DDS
  • Rewrote the internal script to use vJass structs: Damage and DamageTrigger.
  • Changed some of the vJass API. You can find the API listed in the Damage Engine trigger. Notably:
    • I removed UnitDamageTargetEx. You can replace this with Damage.apply.
      • The reason for this change is because of cross-compatibility. Rising Dusk's IDDS uses a different set of parameters for this function, so I removed it from my library to allow this to work seamlessly.
    • TriggerRegisterDamageEvent -> TriggerRegisterDamageEngine
    • RegisterDamageEvent -> RegisterDamageEngine
      • The reason for the above two changes is, like for UnitDamageTargetEx, because Rising Dusk's IDDS uses them. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with Table's API and preferred to walk back my API choices before things got out of hand again.
  • Various performance tweaks, bug fixes and re-commenting of variables.
  • Recursive damage is now processed more intelligently and possibly be more performance-friendly.
  • Adapted the cross-compatibility libraries for Weep and LFH's systems to use textmacros to insert themselves into Damage Engine (this might have been in the 5.6 update, but these two updates were both tailored to achieve similar goals).
5.6.2.0 - Fixed a bug with Damage modification and laid groundwork for a bunch of optional vJass compatibility addons.
5.6.1.0 - Patchwork on Melee/Ranged detection, recursion tracking. Also added the ability to modify damage from a DamageEvent to make it easier on beginners.
5.6.0.1 - Fixed an issue where the DamageEventType for recursive damage that used NextDamageType would always default to DamageTypeCode.
Rewrote a significant amount of the internal code so that struct and GUI syntax both work - and are synchronized with each other. vJass-exclusive users can disable the GUI synchronization if they don't use any GUI damage events in their maps.​
Four new variables must be added to your variable editor:​
  • boolean NextDamageIsAttack
  • boolean NextDamageIsMelee
  • boolean NextDamageIsRanged
  • integer NextDamageWeaponT
Struct syntax should not need too much introduction - Damage.index is the triggering event ID, and the syntax is Damage.index.amount/source/target/etc. To initialize a JASS damage event, use:​
JASS:
function RegisterDamageEvent takes code c, string eventName, real value returns nothing
The string is simplified: "Modifier", "" (for simple DamageEvent), "After", "Lethal", "AOE"​
Finally, a neat QOL improvement is that I have assigned weight to each of the events. When registering an event, you can include numbers different than 1, 2, 3 or 4 (for modification) or just the plain "1" for the others. Now you can set your own sequencing and use 1.5, 3.14 or even -1 to give an even more extreme priority to something. Lower numbers run first, higher ones last.​
5.5.0.0 - Added support for the new native BlzGetEventIsAttack via "IsDamageAttack". Also updated the Config trigger to make importing a bit easier
5.4.2.3 - Fixed a mis-flag of the IsDamageSpell value when not being actual spell damage.
5.4.2.2 - Actually fixed the Cold Arrows issue (division by 0.00001 or something ...somehow... either way, it is fixed).
5.4.2.1 - A fix which should hopefully quell the recent reports of damage events failing in complex situations involving Cold Arrows.
5.4.2.0 - A ton of fixes to repair the issues plaguing Sunken City and anyone else who might be pushing this engine well beyond what I imagined it would be used for. Also added a couple of variables intended to be used to ricochet damage: CONVERTED_ATTACK_TYPE and CONVERTED_DAMAGE_TYPE. Check the demo map for how they can be used in a Unit - Damage Target action.
5.4.1.0 - The "Inception" update. Advanced users can interact with Damage Engine via custom script to set DamageEvent_inception = true to allow their damage to potentially go recursive (to a fixed extent).
5.4.0.1 - Hotfixed that modifiers 2 and 3 weren't running.
5.4.0.0 - By using an innovative approach of hooking TriggerRegisterVariableEvent, I've permanently eliminated all risks of recursion in the engine.
5.3.0.1 - Fixed unexpected behavior with DamageTypePure when it is affected by Anti-Magic Shell or Mana Shield. DamageTypePure now no longer ignores DamageScalingWC3.
5.3.0.0 - Fixed an issue with AfterDamageEvent sometimes being delayed. Added DamageScalingUser to track the ratio of user modified damage, as well as DamageEventArmorPierced which allows the user to define how much armor to ignore when working with DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL.
5.2.0.1 - Fixed an issue where with the final unit in a Spirit Link chain or the retaliating damage of Thorns/Carapace would not deploy an AfterDamageEvent. Also fixed an issue where AfterDamageEvent would still fire from DAMAGE_TYPE_UNKNOWN if it was greater than 0. Simply copy over the JASS from this post in order to update your own implementation.

• Now features DamageEventArmorT and DamageEventDefenseT, which pull from the target unit's Object Editor data in order to allow you more complete access to detect and even MODIFY those defenses. Changes must be made in a DamageModifierEvent, and they are reverted as soon as armor is calculated.
  • Re-introduced AfterDamageEvent, which is the moment after the unit's life is changed, but before any recursive damage has run.

5.1.3.1 - Bug fixes and performance improvements. No, really. Fixed an issue with the DAMAGED event running even though it was turned off (who would've guessed that?)
5.1.3.0 - Engine re-tooling to improve accuracy and get Spirit Link/Defensive damage out of hardcoded mode - it will now work even in circumstances I haven't tested for (in case those weren't the only issues). Also fixed the Is Unit Moving resource.
5.1.2.1 - Fixed an issue with Spiked Carapace and Thorns Aura where the melee attacker would not get recorded correctly. This required the same fix as I needed to apply for the initial target in a spirit link chain.
5.1.2.0 - Tweaked recursion and fixed a few bugs. Re-introduced the zero damage event now that patch 1.31.1 brought it back.
5.1.1.1 - Minor tweak to Spirit Link in rare situation.
5.1.1.0 - Fixed issues related to Spirit Link. Now works intuitively as expected.
5.1.0.0 - Crazy improvements - check out the details in "How to upgrade from Damage Engine 4.0 or earlier" and "How to use Damage Engine 5.1"
5.0.0.0 - Oh man. Where do I even start?
  • You can now set/compare DamageEventDamageT, DamageEventAttackT or DamageEventWeaponT
  • No longer needs Unit Indexer nor any custom Object Editor data nor modifications.
  • Requires WarCraft 3 1.31 or higher.
  • Changed vanilla JASS code to vJass to clean up a lot of things such as making certain variables private.
  • Look for more details in "How to upgrade from Damage Engine 4.0 or earlier"

4.0.0.0 - Never officially released, but was the first iteration which used SetEventDamage.
For 3.8.0.0 and prior, see: Damage Engine 3.8.0.0 | HIVE

Cross-Compatibility:

BribeFromTheHive/DamageEngine

Keywords:unit indexer, damage detection, damage event, weep, nestharus, looking_for_help, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGED, damage engine, spell, physical, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGED, attacktype, damagetype, weapontype, armortype, defensetype, BlzSetEventDamage
Previews
Contents

Damage Engine Demo Map (Map)

Lua Damage Engine 2.0.0.0 (Map)

Reviews
23:20, 11th Jan 2015, BPower Criticism: On the one hand Damage Engine offers extremely high utility to every spell, system and map maker independent of the coding style ( GUI, JASS, vJass, .... ) on the other hand it's very easy to import and...
Level 2
You can change to to "less than 0" in that case.
I tried changing it to "Less than 0" for both DamageEvent and DamageEventAmount. Neither seemed to show a text tag when I healed a target.

Even when I had no condition on it I don't recall seeing a text tag for the heal. Would a better approach be to use your Healing resource to detect the heal?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
When upgrading to latest version that is always an issue with copied variables... how can I fix this easily? For instance I have DamageEvent and DamageEvent_Copy after copying newest version in.
The way I recommend is to delete the whole damage engine category in your map first, and then paste it in.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
@TriggerHappy Hello man!
We decided to update our damage engine, we were using 3.1 before I believe and it had a bug that this updated version crushed! :D
A quick question though! If I want to add exception to unit types, can this be done elsewhere than here?
sp6FiIw.png
Hi I am not sure why you've pinged TriggerHappy there, as I don't think he has written a DDS. However, if you want to filter unit types outside of the Conditions, you'd use If/Then/Else (Multiple Actions) from within the Actions.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
@Bribe My bad, pinged wrong person :D
Yes I know, but in your previous system you could set it up in such a way where it never triggered any Damage Event if it came from a specific Unit Type, It was from within the Damage Engine Config trigger, but it seems to have moved place?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
@Bribe My bad, pinged wrong person :D
Yes I know, but in your previous system you could set it up in such a way where it never triggered any Damage Event if it came from a specific Unit Type, It was from within the Damage Engine Config trigger, but it seems to have moved place?
You'd now use something like setting a damage type that gets ignored in order to avoid the system running events for unwanted stuff. Otherwise no there aren't pre-defined filters anymore.

Level 19
I'd like to modify the damage dealt by a damaging splash attack depending on the number of targets hit; but using "DamageModifierEvent" it returns 1 unit hit via the DamageEventAOE integer and when using the "AoEDamageEvent" it correctly returns the number of targets hit, but I'm unable to modify the damage dealt. Is there any way to both detect the number of targets hit and modify the damage at the same time?

Any suggestion @Bribe?

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
The issue with this seems to be there all my triggers that already use the engine get disabled and I need to rewrite the code (at least GUI). The Jass isn't affected obviously.
This shouldn't disable any of your triggers, unless maybe it's the way that variables are handled by the new World Editor (getting deleted when the folder is deleted)...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
@Bribe
EDIT: Okay, so I switched the Event from DamageModifierEvent = 1.00 to DamageEvent 1.00 and it's now working properly. That being said, maybe you'd still like to look into this.

Hey Bribe, i'm running into an odd issue and I thought maybe you'd know what's going on here.

So I have a passive cooldown system in my map that utilizes Spell Shield, and it seems to be preventing damage from being dealt when I run it during one of your Damage Events.

Here are the triggers:
So I removed the fluff but basically when my Hero reaches 20% or less life his ability activates and goes on cooldown.
  • Example Damage Event
    • Events
      • Game - DamageModifierEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Life of DamageEventTarget) - DamageEventAmount) Less than or equal to ((Max life of DamageEventTarget) / 5.00)
        • Then - Actions
        • -------- Apply Cooldown --------
        • Set VariableSet Cooldown_Ability = PassiveAbility
        • Set VariableSet Cooldown_AbilityCd = PassiveAbilityCooldownVersion
        • Custom script: AbilityCooldown(udg_DamageEventTarget, 60.00)
        • Else - Actions
Then I run the ability cooldown function. It disables the heroes passive ability, adds a "cooldown" version based on Spell Shield, then orders a Dummy unit to immediately cast a spell on the hero thus breaking the Spell Shield and putting the ability on cooldown. Once the cooldown is finished (timer expires) the cooldown ability is removed and the passive ability is enabled again.
Lua:
function AbilityCooldown(u, cd) --unit, cooldown duration
    local abi = udg_Cooldown_Ability
    local abicd = udg_Cooldown_AbilityCd
    --Add Cd Ability
    UnitAddAbility(u, abicd)
    --Disable Real Ability
    BlzUnitDisableAbility(u, abi, true, true)
    --Order Dummy to cast a spell breaking the Spellshield (spellshield = cooldown ability)
    IssueTargetOrderById(udg_Cooldown_Dummy, 852075, u)
    --Create Cooldown Timer
    TimerStart(CreateTimer(), cd, false, function()
        UnitRemoveAbility(u, abicd)
        BlzUnitDisableAbility(u, abi, false, false)
        PauseTimer(GetExpiredTimer())
        DestroyTimer(GetExpiredTimer())
    end)
end
The issue has to do with this line:
Lua:
IssueTargetOrderById(udg_Cooldown_Dummy, 852075, u)
For some reason that prevents the damage from being dealt, as if it was setting DamageEventAmount to 0 or interrupting the Damage Engine process in some other way.

Do you have any idea as to why this would be happening? Sorry if this is unrelated. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
@Uncle thanks actually this gives me an interesting idea. Right now I am detecting Ranged damage via a method which _can_ fail (but not in any native WarCraft 3 event - only , but it would be easy enough to add a Elune's Grace ability which flips ranged damage to negative and then see if the damage is reversed (which would be used _only_ if the DDS actually couldn't detect it for sure).

I'd rather do this as a plugin rather than increase the install steps for Damage Engine.

Level 5
This might be a stupid question, but could I change War Stomp to the same damage type of the basic melee attacks damage with this?

Or would I have to just use a triggered War Stomp?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
This might be a stupid question, but could I change War Stomp to the same damage type of the basic melee attacks damage with this?

Or would I have to just use a triggered War Stomp?
Yes, what you would do is use DamageModifierEvent 1.00 and set DamageEventDamageT = DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL and set DamageEventAttackT = ATTACK_TYPE_NORMAL/HERO

Level 3
Computer-controlled ally tends to flee for a second or two when healed through the damage detection system, anyone had a similar issue?

Level 13
Hi Bribe,

How would you recommend updating to the latest Damage Engine version from the previous? I am having issues where pasting variables from the latest version into my map crashes the editor (100% consistently). Obviously I have no idea why, probably for magical reforged reasons. The project where this is being updated is quite big in terms of # of global variables and amount of code so I suspect it has something to do with that.

Previously I used to just paste in the new folder, delete the old one, and delete any duplicated variables. This no longer seems possible.

I have tried the long and laborious route of deleting EVERYTHING damage engine related (which wont work anyway as it screws up all the GUI triggers in my map that use these variables) and I still get the editor crashes when I paste in the new variables.

Pasting the actual script (Damage Engine Config and Damage Engine) is 100% fine but this doesn't automatically create any new variables unless they're in the config trigger. I manually created IsDamageAttack. Is that the only variable change from previous version? I don't want it blowing up because i updated in a strange way :p

Thanks!

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hi Bribe,

How would you recommend updating to the latest Damage Engine version from the previous? I am having issues where pasting variables from the latest version into my map crashes the editor (100% consistently). Obviously I have no idea why, probably for magical reforged reasons. The project where this is being updated is quite big in terms of # of global variables and amount of code so I suspect it has something to do with that.

Previously I used to just paste in the new folder, delete the old one, and delete any duplicated variables. This no longer seems possible.

I have tried the long and laborious route of deleting EVERYTHING damage engine related (which wont work anyway as it screws up all the GUI triggers in my map that use these variables) and I still get the editor crashes when I paste in the new variables.

Pasting the actual script (Damage Engine Config and Damage Engine) is 100% fine but this doesn't automatically create any new variables unless they're in the config trigger. I manually created IsDamageAttack. Is that the only variable change from previous version? I don't want it blowing up because i updated in a strange way :p

Thanks!
IsDamageAttack is definently the only new variable since last year. But you're right, I forgot to include it in my Config trigger.

Level 1
Hello Bribe. This entire damage system is extremely amazing, user friendly well documented and greatly helpful for alot of us who very little about jazz! I love it.
There's a question I have though; how could I determine what is the source of the damage, I saw there's IsSpell, IsRange, IsMelee and even the different kinds of types of damage that exist and it allowed me to even create an entire elemental damage system. It worked amazingly, even for spells. But then I encountered something interestingly disruptive to the idea. A spell like Lightning Shield, and Immolation; are not identified in any way other than "Spell" is there no way to make them be classified as something like IsDamagePassiveSpell or something like that, where the damage would be seen as a different source, yet still identifiable? (This would allow for attribute increases in damage without affecting those kinds of skills, which is my struggle)

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hello Bribe. This entire damage system is extremely amazing, user friendly well documented and greatly helpful for alot of us who very little about jazz! I love it.
There's a question I have though; how could I determine what is the source of the damage, I saw there's IsSpell, IsRange, IsMelee and even the different kinds of types of damage that exist and it allowed me to even create an entire elemental damage system. It worked amazingly, even for spells. But then I encountered something interestingly disruptive to the idea. A spell like Lightning Shield, and Immolation; are not identified in any way other than "Spell" is there no way to make them be classified as something like IsDamagePassiveSpell or something like that, where the damage would be seen as a different source, yet still identifiable? (This would allow for attribute increases in damage without affecting those kinds of skills, which is my struggle)

They identify their damageT as LIGHTNING and MAGIC respectively, however you'd have to check if DamageEventSource has the specific buff you need in order to make the assessment.

If the source has damage outputs of the same damageT and no other way to differentiate them, then you'd need to do something like trigger the lightning shield or immolate damage.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Hey Bribe, stupid question but how can I edit the system (Lua version) to exclude a specific unit-type? I tried modifying the Triggers like this but it didn't work:
Lua:
    local t1 = CreateTrigger()
    TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t1, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGING)
    TriggerAddCondition(t1, Filter(function()
        if GetUnitTypeId(GetEventDamageSource()) == 1747988528 then
            return
        end
     --Didn't touch the code from this point on
I've never added a condition to a trigger before so i'm not sure how this should be done. Also, there's 2 Damage Event triggers, I imagine I have to apply this condition (properly) to both, correct?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hey Bribe, stupid question but how can I edit the system (Lua version) to exclude a specific unit-type? I tried modifying the Triggers like this but it didn't work:
Lua:
    local t1 = CreateTrigger()
    TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t1, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGING)
    TriggerAddCondition(t1, Filter(function()
        if GetUnitTypeId(GetEventDamageSource()) == 1747988528 then
            return
        end
     --Didn't touch the code from this point on
I've never added a condition to a trigger before so i'm not sure how this should be done. Also, there's 2 Damage Event triggers, I imagine I have to apply this condition (properly) to both, correct?
Don't use WarCraft 3's event system and don't try to modify Damage Engine. The system doesn't hide damage from units or filter on conditions, you'll have to do that yourself from your event triggers.

I think I could allow the user to add conditions to the configuration trigger though in order to set up default filters of their own for when to absolutely ignore the damage modification if those conditions are false.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Don't use WarCraft 3's event system and don't try to modify Damage Engine. The system doesn't hide damage from units or filter on conditions, you'll have to do that yourself from your event triggers.

I think I could allow the user to add conditions to the configuration trigger though in order to set up default filters of their own for when to absolutely ignore the damage modification if those conditions are false.

Okay, because I'm running into odd issues regarding a Dummy unit in my map. I posted about this a week ago, I have a Dummy unit that casts slow on my Hero in order to break it's "Cooldown" ability (an ability based on Spell Shield). When it casts this Slow ability it runs a 0 damage Event, and I believe this causes it to become the new DamageEventSource. This replaces the current DamageEventSource which is a problem.

So filtering the Dummy out of my Events doesn't fix the problem, because the Dummy unit still gets set as DamageEventSource and I lose track of the original DamageEventSource (my Hero). That's why I wanted the system to ignore the Dummy completely, so it wouldn't get set as DamageEventSource to begin with.

Summary of what I think is happening:
My Hero deals damage -> Damage Engine sets him as DamageEventSource -> I run the Cooldown System causing my Hero's passive ability to go on cooldown (Cooldown Dummy casts Slow) -> The Cooldown Dummy becomes the new DamageEventSource since it triggered a Damage Event (Slow triggers this for whatever reason) -> My Hero is no longer the DamageEventSource and problems ensue

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
The only thing I can sense in your script is that you might be manually setting DamageEventSource to something in one of your triggers.

Although I'll admit the Lua version is significantly less tested than the vJass one.
Are abilities like Slow supposed to trigger a Damage Event? Because that's what seems to be happening. I'm currently displaying a text message of the DamageEventSource + DamageEventAmount in response to DamageEvent becomes equal to 1.0, and "Cooldown Dummy: 0.00" displays whenever it casts Slow.

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
I believe i'm already using DamageEvent equal to 1.00 to display the 0 damage. Do you know of any spells that won't trigger a 0 damage event? I guess i'll try Channel for starters.

Last edited:
Level 1
They identify their damageT as LIGHTNING and MAGIC respectively, however you'd have to check if DamageEventSource has the specific buff you need in order to make the assessment.

If the source has damage outputs of the same damageT and no other way to differentiate them, then you'd need to do something like trigger the lightning shield or immolate damage.

If I understood correctly; make the damage come from a trigger, instead of the immolate or Lightning Shield? (If so, then that's easy, if not then I'm confused.)

Level 16
does this work also in 1.26/1.24? it doesnt I can see that now in OP

also, i've installed the one made by Looking_for_help at one of my maps.
should I move here?
is there any practical difference? other than this one being able to reduce before and after armor? and also not requiring object data?

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
does this work also in 1.26/1.24? it doesnt I can see that now in OP

also, i've installed the one made by Looking_for_help at one of my maps.
should I move here?
is there any practical difference? other than this one being able to reduce before and after armor? and also not requiring object data?
You'll want Damage Engine 3.8 if you're using an older WarCraft 3 patch.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/pastebin/894d2c076c67b006c00e4abe5fa27d0a18789/

3.8 is more up to date than Looking for help's system.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Is there a cleaner version without GUI variables?
I want to use this, but its very much catered exclusively to GUIers...
When I first made this, it was inferior to the vJass version of damage systems.

Now it is a bit of a tossup as Damage Engine handles quite a few newer things that vJass systems didn't keep up with over the recent patches.

However, I have an update planned for the system which will involve some more complex data which could eventually spawn a more flexible portion of API accessible just to vJass users. As in allowing OOP syntax for tracking damage instances.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
When I first made this, it was inferior to the vJass version of damage systems.

Now it is a bit of a tossup as Damage Engine handles quite a few newer things that vJass systems didn't keep up with over the recent patches.

However, I have an update planned for the system which will involve some more complex data which could eventually spawn a more flexible portion of API accessible just to vJass users. As in allowing OOP syntax for tracking damage instances.
That would be sweet.
I like Damage Engine because of how it implements all the new jass natives, which is also why I didnt go with older systems instead. But the API is a bit clunky for vJassers.

I would appreciate a "pro" version for the Jass crowd and look forward to your new release.

Level 5
Yes, what you would do is use DamageModifierEvent 1.00 and set DamageEventDamageT = DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL and set DamageEventAttackT = ATTACK_TYPE_NORMAL/HERO

What's the smartest way to go about that though?

I could have a Dummy unit/trigger apply a buff to the Casting Unit for like a single second while casting War Stomp and use?

• Events
    • Game - DamageModifierEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
  • Conditions
    • (DamageEventSource has buff WarStompBuff) Equal to True
  • Actions
    • Set VariableSet DamageEventDamageT = DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL
    • Set VariableSet DamageEventAttackT = ATTACK_TYPE_NORMAL
Or is there a more intuitive way?

Level 3
I have an issue with the units in the map since i downloaded the system. It works perfect now except for one thing, the units that i place in the map appear a little moved from their original location, is there any reason for it?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I have an issue with the units in the map since i downloaded the system. It works perfect now except for one thing, the units that i place in the map appear a little moved from their original location, is there any reason for it?
That would have to be caused by a different system in your map. Maybe onr added around the same time you installed this. Damage Engine doesn't change the positions of units.

Level 4
My map is outputting the vars in the trigger correctly but the units are still taking full damage, rather than a flat reduction per their armor score.

• Taking Damage
    • Events
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • IsDamageSpell Equal to False
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet TargetArmorValue = (Armor of DamageEventTarget)
            • If - Conditions
              • (DamageEventAmount - TargetArmorValue) Less than 1.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set VariableSet DamageEventAmount = 1.00
            • Else - Actions
              • Set VariableSet DamageEventAmount = (DamageEventAmount - TargetArmorValue)
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Owner of DamageEventTarget) controller) Equal to User
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(DamageEventAmount))
        • Else - Actions
It should be clear what I'm doing there. All armor would act like Hardened Skin, with a min damage of 1. The "DamageEventAmount" reports correctly as I would expect, but the units are still taking full damage from attacks.

EDIT: Attached map as example

EDIT2: Removed map, see below.

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
My map is outputting the vars in the trigger correctly but the units are still taking full damage, rather than a flat reduction per their armor score.

• Taking Damage
    • Events
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • IsDamageSpell Equal to False
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet TargetArmorValue = (Armor of DamageEventTarget)
            • If - Conditions
              • (DamageEventAmount - TargetArmorValue) Less than 1.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set VariableSet DamageEventAmount = 1.00
            • Else - Actions
              • Set VariableSet DamageEventAmount = (DamageEventAmount - TargetArmorValue)
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Owner of DamageEventTarget) controller) Equal to User
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(DamageEventAmount))
        • Else - Actions
It should be clear what I'm doing there. All armor would act like Hardened Skin, with a min damage of 1. The "DamageEventAmount" reports correctly as I would expect, but the units are still taking full damage from attacks.

EDIT: Attached map as example
Without looking at the map, I can imagine another script in your map is overriding it.

Add this line to your trigger:

Set DamageEventOverride = True

That should fix the problem

Level 4
Thanks I'll give that a try. There are no other triggers in the map. I edited my above post with an example map.

Edit: Setting DamageEventOveride True does not fix it in the demo.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Thanks I'll give that a try. There are no other triggers in the map. I edited my above post with an example map.

I believe the problem lies in your unit of measurement in the condition.

Rather than check if the difference is less than 1.00, check if DamageEventAmount is greater than 1.00. If so, do the following:

Set DamageEventAmount = Max((DamageEventAmount - TargetArmorValue), 1.00)

Level 4
Thanks for the tip, but that change doesn't seem to work either.

Edit: This seems to be fixed now and I'm not sure why. The LUA versions appear to have the same name in the downloaded folder but after reinstalled DE from a new download I can't reproduce the problem. Just don't want anyone to spend time troubleshooting since its not needed

Last edited:
Hey Bribe, I really love this damage engine, but I need to tell you that the Lua version desyncs. For the past month my map "Azeroth RPG" has been desyncing non-stop and I had no idea why that was, so I created a new project just to focus on something else. It was working fine with no desyncs in multiple games, but after I imported this engine for Lua it desynced 3 minutes into the game (luckily it was while testing).

I think I know why this is. For some reason Lua generates handle id's differently on each client, but that in of itself doesn't desync. However, if you use those generated handles for something it will most likely desync, and I've found places in your code with 'GetHandleId'. I'm not sure if this is a problem in JASS though.

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hey Bribe, I really love this damage engine, but I need to tell you that the Lua version desyncs. For the past month my map "Azeroth RPG" has been desyncing non-stop and I had no idea why that was, so I created a new project just to focus on something else. It was working fine with no desyncs in multiple games, but after I imported this engine for Lua it desynced 3 minutes into the game (luckily it was while testing).

I think I know why this is. For some reason Lua generates handle id's differently on each client, but that in of itself doesn't desync. However, if you use those generated handles for something it will most likely desync, and I've found places in your code with 'GetHandleId'. I'm not sure if this is a problem in JASS though.

From what I've read from more experienced users, is that the Lua Table syntax uses different handle Ids when I do something like table iteration. To fix this, as I understand, would require the tables in the map to be indexed by simple integers rather than the handles of the Lua object table.