1. The long-awaited results for Concept Art Contest #11 have finally been released!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The mythological era has spawned some interesting characters around. Check them out and be sure to vote for them in the 30th Poll of the Texturing Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hivers united and created a bunch of 2v2 melee maps. Vote for the best in our Melee Mapping Contest #4 - Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Wisdom

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rufus, Apr 11, 2017.

1. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Men will always be mad, and those who think they can cure them are the maddest of all." ~Voltron Voltaire

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  3. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Be an example to your men in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don't, in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Always be tactful and well-mannered and teach your subordinates to be the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide."

~
    Firefox Desert Fox

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

“It may sometimes happen that a truth, an insight, which you have slowly and laboriously puzzled out by thinking for yourself could have easily have been found already written in a book: but it is a hundred times more valuable if you have arrived at it by thinking for yourself. For only then will it enter your thought system as an integral part and living member, be perfectly and firmly consistent with it and in accord with all its other consequences and conclusions, bear the hue, colour and stamp of your whole manner of thinking, and have arrived at just the moment it was needed ; thus it will stay firmly and forever lodged in your mind.”
    ~Arthur Schopenhauer.

[​IMG]

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  6. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Among the several sins that I have been accused of committing, none is more false than the one that I have, as the principal objective in my work, the spirit of research. When I paint my object is to show what I have found and not what I am looking for. In art intentions are not sufficient and, as we say in Spanish, love must be proved by facts and not by reasons" ~Pablo Picasso

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    “Scholars are those who have read in books, but thinkers, men of genius, world-enlighteners, and reformers of the human race are those who have read directly in the book of the world.”
    ~Arthur Schopenhauer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”

- Mewtwo, Pokemon the First Movie

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    “For where did Dante get the material for his Hell, if not from this actual world of ours?”
    ~Arthur Schopenhauer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  12. Mattnj

Mattnj

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    "The science of today is the technology tomorrow." -- Edward Teller

"Science is a beautiful gift to humanity; we should not distort it." -- A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  14. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    that feeling majorgeeks.jpg - Arthur Schopenhauer?...

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

“But it is common knowledge that religions don’t want conviction, on the basis of reasons, but faith, on the basis of revelation. And the capacity for faith is at its strongest in childhood: which is why religions apply themselves before all else to getting these tender years into their possession. It is in this way, even more than by threats and stories of miracles, that the doctrines of faith strike roots: for if, in earliest childhood, a man has certain principles and doctrines repeatedly recited to him with abnormal solemnity and with an air of supreme earnestness such as he has never before beheld, and at the same time the possibility of doubt is never so much as touched on, or if it is only in order to describe it as the first step towards eternal perdition, then the impression produced will be so profound that in almost every case the man will be almost incapable of doubting this doctrine as of doubting his own existence, so that hardly one in a thousand will then possess the firmness of mind seriously and honestly to ask himself: is this true?”
    ~Arthur Schopenahuer.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    “In order to elucidate especially and most clearly the origination of this error (...) let us imagine a man who, while standing on the street, would say to himself:

"It is six o'clock in the evening, the working day is over. Now I can go for a walk, or I can go to the club; I can also climb up the tower to see the sunset; I can go to the theater; I can visit this friend or that one; indeed, I also can run out of the gate, into the wide world, and never return. All of this is strictly up to me, in this I have complete freedom. But still I shall do none of these things now , but with just as free a will I shall go home to my wife".

This is exactly as if water spoke to itself: "I can make high waves (yes! in the sea during a storm), I can rush down hill (yes! in the river bed), I can plunge down foaming and gushing (yes! in the waterfall), I can rise freely as a stream of water into the air (yes! in the fountain), I can, finally boil away and disappear (yes! at a certain temperature); but I am doing none of these things now, and am voluntaringly remaining quiet and clear water in the reflecting pond.

~Arthur Schopenhauer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  20. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    "If you have no time to do your things, then let a few trusty and competent individuals do them for you instead. for free." - Arthur Schopenhauer pyf