• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Sound Sets?

Level 32
Soundset Creation

World Editor FAQ - Work in Progress describes soundsets and their creation in detail.

Soundsets
A soundset is the "vocabulary" of a unit. Units have a varying amount of specific voices in their "vocabularies" that you cannot change. However you can replace the voices in a unit's vocabulary.
This also means that you can't create a new soundset or extend the chosen soundset. So you have to find a soundset that you are not using and which also fits your amount of voices. As an example I will use the Footman's soundset.

The Footman's soundset is located in Sounds/Internal/Units/Human/Footman/ and contains the following sounds/voices:
  • FootmanDeath.wav
  • FootmanPissed1.wav
  • FootmanPissed2.wav
  • FootmanPissed3.wav
  • FootmanPissed4.wav
  • FootmanReady1.wav
  • FootmanWarcry1.wav
  • FootmanWhat1.wav
  • FootmanWhat2.wav
  • FootmanWhat3.wav
  • FootmanWhat4.wav
  • FootmanYes1.wav
  • FootmanYes2.wav
  • FootmanYes3.wav
  • FootmanYes4.wav
  • FootmanYesAttack1.wav
  • FootmanYesAttack2.wav
  • FootmanYesAttack3.wav
It's easy to replace all the existing sounds with new ones.

Importing & Replacing
For each file of the footman's soundset you right-click and choose: Replace Internal Sound Then locate your own recorded sound.

Done, You should now have made.. I mean replaced an entire soundset.

Level 2
Ah, ok thanks. But will replaced internal sounds carry over to other people's computers if they download the map?

Level 19
I think I'm a person who can help you out a bit...
In Sound Editor (F5) you see a bunch of folders (Buildings, Doodads, Units, etc.) open one of them in the units folder (easiest to manipulate) and find a sound you would like to replace. Once found, right-click on it and select Replace internal Sound, then replace it with any sound you want (Dog farts, voice recorded through microphone, one of my sound sets ( :) and then give a unit the soundset you have manipulated, and play with that unit in-game and presto you got yourself a custom phrase! Then you just replace them all to make a custom soundset. Unfortunately you cannot make custom sound sets (like new folders called "Bob") so this is limited to the number of sound sets the game has for your manipulating madness. Fortunately enough there are hundreds of units in Warcraft 3 so it's not so much of a problem really.

Level 2
World Editor FAQ - Work in Progress describes soundsets and their creation in detail.

I actually tried doing this with the sounds from Starcraft and it didn't work. I replaced all of the footman speech things with a zealot, which sounded great in the WE, but when I tested the map, the unit just made no noise at all. Maybe this is something with the sounds themselves, I don't know.