• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Castle Defense v10.8.0

Custom Castle Defense!​

(Updated 2018-2022 and counting!)​

Map Info:​

Originally made by Netforce2k4, Custom Castle Defense is a survival map in which players must outlast wave after wave of orcish forces until they are strong enough to destroy the enemy's bases.

I did try reaching out to Netforce a while back to get his blessing on the new versions of the map, but never got a response. I did, however, obtain the unprotected map from a member of the clan he was in, so I'm sure that counts for something.

How to play:​

At the beginning of the game, each player is given a peasant, 2 knights, and 3 archers. If your peasant dies, you are out of the game until someone revives you by collecting your flag that your peasant drops and dropping it on their town hall.
There is a command (-base) that players can use to find bases in the first 5 minutes. This command will ping most bases on the map, color coded by difficulty (green = easy, yellow = medium, red = hard).
To establish a base, you should start by building mills in the fence squares to generate income, and then blocking off all exits with wall pillars, but leaving space in 1 exit for enemies to route to. If you block off all exits, enemies will start indiscriminately targeting your walls, and your base is likely to fall very quickly. In order to re-route enemies to your main exit, you will need some sort of ranged damage source behind your walls, such as a tower or an archer. It is recommended to have as few exits as possible, although with bigger bases with more mill spots, few exits aren't normally an option.

In the early game, it is recommended to stay on the fast track to getting magic sentry researched and a hero trained by 20 minutes, when strong invisible enemies start spawning. In order to research magic sentry, you will need a town hall, upgraded to a keep, and a lumber mill, where the research upgrade can be found. You may only have 1 hero, so pick wisely (or if you don't care about what hero you get, you can train a random hero, which trains faster than picking your hero). Hero spells are customizable, outside of their ultimates. Every hero will have Blink and Mirror Image by default, but you can build an academy to purchase other spells for your hero. There are 3 different academies available and you can have spells from each one. You may research 3 spells from the Offensive Academy, 4 spells from the Passive Academy, and 3 spells from the Defensive Academy.

The way to end the game is to find all 8 enemy bases on the map and destroy them, which normally will require a hero at a high level and with items found from random spawns across the map. Each tower killed in a base will spawn a strong Naga Royal Guard, and each Great Hall will spawn a Destroyer (and 5 wind riders in challenger mode). After all 8 bases are destroyed, a powerful final boss will spawn from a randomly picked base, and must be killed to fully complete the game.

What's new?​

The last official version by Netforce2k4 was version 4.7.0, and the current version is 10.7.1, meaning loads of great new content have been added. Here's a quick rundown of key additions:
  • Informative multiboard, displaying each player's hero choice, income, kill count, and whether they're dead, alive, or have left the game
  • Players are now able to place a claim flag at any point on the map in the first 5 minutes to display to other players where they would like to base. This information can be accessed by typing -claims, which will ping all flags and display a list of all players that have claimed a base, in order of who claimed first, in an effort to alleviate issues of multiple players fighting over one base at game start.
  • Multiple side quests have been added to the game. Previously, 0 quests were in the game, unless you count crafting legendary items. There is now a total of 8 separate (all optional) quests in the map, all of which keep players engaged and encourage them to spend more time outside of their bases.
  • Most earlier versions only had easy/medium difficulty enabled, and sometimes hard mode depending on the version. In the new versions, 5 different difficulties are available, with distinct differences in each difficulty. Challenger mode, the highest difficulty, has the most content available, including but not limited to: witch doctors that cast healing wave on enemies, infernal contraptions that roam the map placing land mines, flying enemies, a chance to spawn stronger variants of the normal enemies, and enemies may be holding items to aid them in combat.
  • The map has been vastly expanded to the south, containing unique bases for players, and a new Naga base for the enemy forces.
  • Many hero ultimates have been revised, and 2 new heroes have been added, so the meta is no longer limited to Blood Mage and Priestess of the Moon. Some new ultimates include the Warden's Vengeance, which spawns a summon that either remains immobile and deals hefty damage to nearby targets, or one that blinks around the map assassinating enemies, the Tinker's Engineering, which gives him exclusive access to new buildings and spells to cast on them, and the Dark Ranger's Charm, allowing her to take control of enemy units.
  • New artifacts and legendary items have been added, such as Crown of the Deathlord (bonus HP and Intelligence, can cast Finger of Death), Wand of Cosmic Energy (craftable legendary, provides bonus Intelligence and Agility and can summon a lightning revenant), and Wand of Illusion
  • 5 new enemy waves have been added! The last enemy wave used to start 40 minutes into the map when Kodos started spawning. The last wave now is currently at an hour and a half in.
  • The Mercenary Camp in the southeast part of the map now actually sells units that get unlocked from some quests.
  • Units and towers have been re-balanced, and many new units and towers have been added.
  • A limited selection of Night Elf buildings and units are now available.
  • Offensive hero spells now automatically level up as heroes level up.
  • Special modes can be activated, doing things such as giving every enemy an item upon spawn, cutting the amount of time in between spawns in half, causing destroyers to spawn from bases locations after all bases have been destroyed, making every hero choice randomized, disabling heroes altogether, etc.
  • And more! A full changelog of everything since 4.3.0 can be found here: https://pastebin.com/VXNGe0qM

Known issues:​

• as of 10.7.0, the beastmaster has some weird issues, namely that his pounce ability cooldown is not being set as it should, mass teleport does not work for him, and pouncing out of map bounds is possible (and may cause a crash)

Screenshots:​

Gameplay:
The Campgrounds base
jYkPXMY.png

The Apotheosis quest
BehgJ9I.png

rEYh6Zm.png

IUw1pdu.png

vLuQUk4.png

PH5jMFz.png

LwvPxul.png

Golem Repair!
bm23Qw8.png

rzWzy3O.png

A hut
EfqVlat.png

Battle with Admiral Proudmoore
IjyDJsy.png

Save the Gunship crew!
o6Xcku8.png

Some of the new areas:
NeTLhJq.png

b0d8tLy.png

QusoXHt.png

Credits:​

Developers:
GrapesOfWath
Surfer412
tRuTrIx
Netforce2k4

Models:
Uncle Fester (Dwarven Pirate)
Mythic (Radiance [the effect over the traveler's tents], Divine Edict)
Thrikodius (Mimic)
AndrewOverload519 (Arcane Guardian)
General Frank (Blood Elf Archer, Blood Elf Cavalry, Blood Elf Mage, Blood Elf Wizard, Fel Orc Lancer)
Teldorei (Blood Elf Missile)
Necromancer_187 (Shadow Infernal)
Retera (Coral Golem)
icewolf055, MiniMage (Sand Elemental)
HerrDave (Bishop)
RightField (Branch)
induwer (Goblin Tower)
Sellenisko (Red Drake Rider)
Retera (Frost Wyrm Rider)
Frostwhisper, Misha, Mr.Goblin (Walking Chaos [Xororand] model)
MiniMage, Tophat attachment
Maximum_Evil (tell a joke buff)
hayate (poop)
pyritie (pickle)

Systems:
Bribe (ASCII Library)

Mayday :/ (the loading screen model I guess? although do we really attribute that to him 🤔🤔🤔)

Proof of permission​

CwtRRaB.png

Missing from this screenshot is a now-deleted download link to the unprotected map I started with. Also, someone in the screenshot incorrectly assumed that netforce was still actively developing the map. The epicwar link he was referring to was just a re-upload of a yeeeeeeeeears old version of the map.
Contents

Custom Castle Defense v10.8.0 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Seems like a good map for multiplayer. Approved. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange! R U L E S Site Rules Map Submission Rules M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N BB CODES BB Codes | HIVE MELEE MAPS...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
"I did try reaching out to Netforce a while back to get his blessing on the new versions of the map, but never got a response. I did, however, obtain the unprotected map from a member of the clan he was in, so I'm sure that counts for something."

Can you prove that you were given permission?

Missing from the first screenshot is a now-deleted link to a download of the unprotected map. Also, someone in this screenshot was talking about how it looked like netforce was still working on the map, referring to a then-recent upload of CCD to epicwar, but he was incorrect, as it was just someone inexplicably re-uploading a yeeeeeeeears old version of CCD.

The second screenshot is my unanswered message to netforce that was sent like a year and a half ago.

Attachments

• ccdpermission.png
    ccdpermission.png
    576.5 KB · Views: 221
  • ccdpermission2.PNG
    ccdpermission2.PNG
    186.6 KB · Views: 204

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Missing from this screenshot is a now-deleted link to a download of the unprotected map. Also, someone in this screenshot was talking about how it looked like netforce was still working on the map, referring to a then-recent upload of CCD to epicwar, but he was incorrect, as it was just someone inexplicably re-uploading a yeeeeeeeears old version of CCD.
Put that in the map thread description as evidence. If the original author comes and wants the map taken down, we'll have to comply.

Also, hide/spoiler tag those screenshots please. They are pretty big.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Seems like a good map for multiplayer.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Tbg

Tbg

Level 1
Anywhere to get more info on all the optional quest??? Great game btw.

Level 3
I'm glad to have downloaded this version - that way, if hive ever takes it down, at least i will have the updated version that works on reforged instead of being stuck with a 12 year old version long abandoned. lol