• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Critical Chance : Explain pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was reading Chaos Knight's Trivia in the Dota 2 and saw this:
attachment.php

I don't somehow get it, can somebody explain this to me?

Note:
The actual provided crit chance was 1%/11%/11%/11%
Does this imply that Crit Chances are not precise?

Attachments

• crit.png
    crit.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 226
Level 24
There are problems with critical strike... like almost every standard thing in WC3... ok maybe not everything but at least:
Spell resistance,
Buff stacking,
Missile hits,
Chaos,
Paused units,
Item abilities,
Flame Strike,
Orb stacking,
0 movement units,
Aggressive passive abilities on allies,
Evasion
and Critical Strike
(and many more but these come to my mind)

That is why I use (almost) none of them :D

Critical strike chances (and maybe evasion as well) are rounded down to the nearest power of 5. (<< nearest multiple of 5)
That means that you have 1 = 0 and 11 = 10.
Pretty stupid yea.

There are problems with critical strike... like almost every standard thing in WC3... ok maybe not everything but at least:
Spell resistance,
Buff stacking,
Missile hits,
Chaos,
Paused units,
Item abilities,
Flame Strike,
Orb stacking,
0 movement units,
Aggressive passive abilities on allies,
Evasion
and Critical Strike
(and many more but these come to my mind)

That is why I use (almost) none of them :D

Critical strike chances (and maybe evasion as well) are rounded down to the nearest power of 5. (<< nearest multiple of 5)
That means that you have 1 = 0 and 11 = 10.
Pretty stupid yea.

Can you explain all of them(regardless if I know them or not)

Level 24
Spell resistance doesnt stack, it has no algorithm of priority, it just uses the last one added. There is no logic in that.

Buff stacking, even different buffs from the same ability type are not stacking (with a few exceptions IIrc).
Auras are the only ones that can have multiple different buffs on one unit.

Missile hits are not instant but have a slight delay on their damage, and after that delay, it will check if the target is in the motion buffer and if not, there will be no damage. (Try blinking out of a homing missile when it hits... its weird.)

Chaos and paused units... those speak for themselves.

Item abilities with multiple levels... it is usefull but that doesnt make it a glitch.

Flame strike doesnt work on spell effect, when you see the ability go on cooldown, it still takes a little while before you actually make the damage dealing fire, if you order your Blood Mage to do something else, you will have spend your mana, have the ability on cooldown, but you havent done anything usefull.

Orbs dont stack... duh glitch.

0 movement units are odd in most things... one thing for example is that they are unable to be moved with SetUnitX/Y, but rotating should also be possible.
It is usefull because they didnt make something else to do this and make the 0 movement follow proper logic.

Passives like Slow Poison apply on basic attacks right?
Try ordering your unit to attack an ally.

Evasion and Crit dont stack, they work separately.
The actual chance calculation is logical but with critical strike, you can see that you can hit multiple critical strikes in one attack... I can see that Blizzard didnt bother about it because they can also have different damage modifiers but it still is odd.
That, and the chance inaccuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.