• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating a Hero Pick System: The Easier Way.

Level 4
Introduction

Most Hero Selection systems contain alot of complicated variables and such, this is all a bit complicated for a first time mapper. As i found out in my first map (Which im making as i type this post) its much easier to use some common sense and make your own, simpler way up. Now, i say make your own up, but this way is simple and easy, includes no variables, and is friendly for new mapmakers. It may take more time for seasoned proffesionals, but for new makers it is alot faster.

Getting Started

First of all you need a unit to select your heroes with. I suggest just renaming a wisp and taking away the building, detonate and harvest abillities that it has and renaming it Hero Chooser. Then you need as many circles of power as you have heroes. Put your heroes behind each circle of power and go into the Regions Pallete. Make a region on each circle and name them whatever you like, just aslong as you can remember which is which.
You also need to create a region where you want the hero to spawn, i called mine HeroSpawn.
Now, getting started with the trigger, obviously yours will be slightly different depending on the name of the region you are doing it about, im basing mine on a rogue, therefore i called the region Rogue.

Trigger
  • Hero Pick - Rogue
    • Events
      • Unit - Enters Region Rogue
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Kill (Triggering Unit)
      • Unit - Create 1 Rogue for (Owner of (Triggering Unit)) at (Center of HeroSpawn <gen>) facing default building facing degrees.
That is all you have to do, if you want multiple things like different units belonging to different classes, then just make a circle of power doing the same thing but spawning another hero chooser where the other class pick circle of powers are.

(This is my first guide so if its not too good, dont tell me off :D)

I have a reply to both of your posts. First I shall reply to the tutorial:
HERO TAVERNS!!!! Circles take a TON of room. And the hero tavern triggers are just as simple if not more simple than the trigger for circles.

And as for your reply madcat there are WAY easier ways to prevent people selecting more heroes with ordinary units. Such as making the hero selection arrow on a cliff-surrounded area with no ramps, or better yet just put some pathing blockers around the area so that no units can walk into it.

Silly Heads :p

Here is a link to a very easy to follow hero tavern tutorial for you people who are too lazy to find it yourselves.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33339

Level 40
And as for your reply madcat there are WAY easier ways to prevent people selecting more heroes with ordinary units. Such as making the hero selection arrow on a cliff-surrounded area with no ramps, or better yet just put some pathing blockers around the area so that no units can walk into it.
Adding a condition is a whole lot easier, and foolproof. Trust me, people find ways to abuse these things - my brother's amazing at that, which is actually lucky for me, because it means I can debug my maps rather fast (he manages to find about a bug a minute if there are any -.-)

But as madcat said, this is far too simple to be submitted on its own. Someone should really make a compendium tutorial to cover all of these.

Level 14